Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

It's definitely implying Catholicism.

even then they've got it the wrong way round, while there isn't a sectarian divide for Liverpool clubs like in Glasgow, if you're going to assign a club as the "Catholic" one it's Everton not LFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my brain shorted out when I read liverpool because I just read it again and saw the full list wtf.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/1361415532579229697?s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah it's a gimmick, what happened was the show started off with her being a generic host, chatting to the contestants, "you did very well and we're sorry to say goodbye" when someone got voted off, all that stuff

then one show the entire team was awful and she had to say things like "well you weren't very good, were you" because she didn't have anything nice to say, and the producers loved it and told her to take it up to 110% all the time

It's mad that they let it cross into such highly sensitive personal issues though. Berate them for their quiz performance or go for the standard stand up comic insults (you are bald, you have a boring job etc) but what they encouraged her to say was just cruel most of the time.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Some of this comes from an insistence that that the people of Wavertree must be fundamentally racist to the bone, and not that they personally disliked Luciana Berger, a southern parachute candidate that was foisted upon them, then spent years campaigning against their very leftwing beliefs, while ostensibly representing them. Source - I lived in Wavertree for many years and have family there - people did not say nice things about Luciana Berger in the pub, though they never brought up her ethnicity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Very cunning and subtle bigots, the Irish, I say nonbigotly.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

stev posted:

It's mad that they let it cross into such highly sensitive personal issues though. Berate them for their quiz performance or go for the standard stand up comic insults (you are bald, you have a boring job etc) but what they encouraged her to say was just cruel most of the time.

oh yeah absolutely there were lines that got crossed, I just don't think it's entirely fair to say "well she's a terrible person, look what she said" when she was getting told how to act and what to say by the producers the whole time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i do wonder if what really broke the labour right's brains was corbyn saying he was going to do a kinder politics and they're just all so thoroughly nasty all the time they took it as a personal offense

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Desiderata posted:

Some of this comes from an insistence that that the people of Wavertree must be fundamentally racist to the bone, and not that they personally disliked Luciana Berger, a southern parachute candidate that was foisted upon them, then spent years campaigning against their very leftwing beliefs, while ostensibly representing them. Source - I lived in Wavertree for many years and have family there - people did not say nice things about Luciana Berger in the pub, though they never brought up her ethnicity.

didn't you hear, all criticism of Jewish people is anti-semitic now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nobody itt is allowed to call me a oval office because its antisemitic. check mate ukmtailures

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

oh yeah absolutely there were lines that got crossed, I just don't think it's entirely fair to say "well she's a terrible person, look what she said" when she was getting told how to act and what to say by the producers the whole time

I dunno, specifically the clip I posted normalises a whole bunch of awful right-wing poo poo. After all, if they're making fun of a single mum on the BBC at teatime it must be okay right?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Anne Robinson's mother was from Northern Ireland, therefore she is 50% bigot by bloodline

Jose posted:

nobody itt is allowed to call me a oval office because its antisemitic. check mate ukmtailures

(((unt)))

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlbyEarley/status/1361626324658499587?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This is the most controversial Money Diary clickbait yet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/stonecoldstev3/status/1361509706704052227?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
idgi his name is Keith

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's spelt kieth

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

idgi his name is Keith

It's Kieth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's spelt kieth

but he prefers smithers

good lord

https://twitter.com/TracyAnnO/status/31457168825778176?s=20

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Me when Camrath's fudge arrives.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Spangly A posted:

this just makes it sound like you've never been arrested tbh

Don't talk to the police no matter what inane nonsense they babble at you

No, I've never been arrested.

I have, on the other hand, sat next to people and watched the interviewing officer get into all kinds of tongue-tied messes because they were expecting a quick no comment job, maybe a prepared statement, and didn't actually know how to handle someone who had been advised to answer questions, followed by a hasty and rather embarrassed NFA decision. It's an absolute gas, I'd recommend it to anyone, the Appropriate Adults services are regularly looking for good people to learn PACE and sit in on police interviews. You'll get your expenses paid and get a chance to see the (cough) system as it actually (hack) functions. Looks great on a CV, too.

I've also sat with people who don't talk to police, and watched them refuse to say anything when the evidence against them was pretty ropey, but it was still evidence that pointed to their guilt; and absent any comment from them, there was some evidence to say they did it, and no evidence to say they didn't. They all get charged.

quote:

RIPA and phones

The way this works in practice is, getting the actual authority to demand even a conventional password is a huge pain in the arse and usually takes in the order of months after interview, if not years. By which time many people have unfortunately forgotten their passcodes, after all, don't we all change our passcodes regularly and make sure we use secure strings? Of course we do. Sometimes they'll still come for you, but you've a decent chance of getting it thrown out as an abuse of process, if the first you hear of it is the formal request 8 months after you were at the station.

When you want to be slightly concerned is if they give you an advisory notice in interview saying something like "I intend to come back with a formal authority for you to disclose this data, so please write it down now, while you remember it, to prevent any unfortunate lapses of memory". Sometimes it's just a scare tactic and they'll let it go if that doesn't convince you to give up the password there and then; sometimes they'll genuinely come back with the request.

Jose posted:

the police routinely lie and tell epople they won't get bail if they don't talk despite this being illegal

Can we not bring divorced-from-reality bollocks in here when it's about things that might actually affect people's freedom and future prospects?

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 16, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

having seen it happen myself its not divorced from reality buyt maybe routinely was an exaggeration

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Julio Cruz posted:

I just don't think it's entirely fair to say "well she's a terrible person, look what she said" when she was getting told how to act and what to say by the producers the whole time
In my opinion it is entirely fair to call her a terrible person for publicly mocking someone for being a single mother & I bet her kids have ASBOs & she's prolly a benefit scrounger & all, whether she did it because she was told to, just for funzies, or whatever

Not a big fan of the Nuremberg Defence, no sir

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

I've also sat with people who don't talk to police, and watched them refuse to say anything when the evidence against them was pretty ropey, but it was still evidence that pointed to their guilt; and absent any comment from them, there was some evidence to say they did it, and no evidence to say they didn't. They all get charged.

I mean I think the "don't talk to police" advice has the implicit corollary of "until you've spoken to a lawyer who can advise you what you should or should not say".

Not that you should just sit in silence until you get dragged to court.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 16, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Maybe she does it because it gets her off

the bleakest kink

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lol

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Can we not bring divorced-from-reality bollocks in here when it's about things that might actually affect people's freedom and future prospects?

Police routinely lie about their powers particularly around questioning stop & search . I.e. "There's been lots of burglaries in they area so you have to show me your ID etc."

I had some close friends who were arrested in their late teens who were talked into forgoing any legal defence 'because it's 2am and it'll be aload of hassle".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So, Corbyn's three month suspension is up this week (tomorrow?) but it's probably just going to be extended, right?

Isn't the whole thing a load of shite given that the EHRC Report itself specifically protects the right to express opinion on the scale of antisemitism in Labour? I don't see why Corbyn isn't going down that route for his legal challenge, instead of the "private agreement" with Starmer.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 16, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

In my opinion it is entirely fair to call her a terrible person for publicly mocking someone for being a single mother & I bet her kids have ASBOs & she's prolly a benefit scrounger & all, whether she did it because she was told to, just for funzies, or whatever

Not a big fan of the Nuremberg Defence, no sir

I bet she'll play to her reputation on Countdown and be a right arsehole to the contestants. She'll definitely enjoy bullying some of those nerds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I mean I think the "don't talk to police" advice has the implicit corollary on of "until you've spoken to a lawyer who can advise you what you should or should not say".

That or Failed Imagineer's tactic of just successively throwing them all in the bin, up to and including the Supreme Court. I assume the bins get larger too.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

That or Failed Imagineer's tactic of just successively throwing them all in the bin, up to and including the Supreme Court. I assume the bins get larger too.

It works up to and including the lower courts, but I think the Supreme Court has one of those crossed-out bin symbols, and you need to drag to a shipyard to be dismantled.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Borrovan posted:

The main difference in that regard is that yanks can refuse to answer a question in court. Try that here & see what the judge does.

Theres always a good justification for why you don't say anything without advice from a lawyer, and that's "because I didn't have advice from a lawyer"
Honestly there are so many words which have very specific meanings within the framework of the law, even if I did want to co-operate with the police to prove my innocence, I'd only do it through statements cleared by a solicitor.

The one that frightens me is the episode of 24h in Police Custody (1st episode of series 7, "Body in the Grass") where they flipped to trying to pin a murder on the husband halfway through, because the officers thought he wasn't 'acting right' and then found enough evidence to detain him.

To me the dude's behaviour seemed sort of like he might have been undiagnosed on the spectrum. He was also living on his own, the amount of times he was interviewed about it and the neighbours were questioned, they all started to turn against him as well.

The impression that was left after the show was 'questions remain unanswered' an a kind of :thunk: way that was really loving negligent - that dude is going to have to move and start a new life because one of the four mainstream channels in this country just broadcast to every small minded vigilante out there the town where he lives, and what his house looks like.

I got the impression that if the cameras hadn't been following the investigation it would have been very easy for someone to stitch him up by planting something.

There's a perverse, circular reasoning some filth have where they just want a case solved. By using dirty tricks like intimidating easy targets, planting evidence, or tricking confessions out of people who don't know better they get the cinviction, and then they can justify their reasoning because if he was innocent then those tactics wouldn't have worked, innit?

bessantj posted:

One of the younger lads was sitting down browsing through his phone when another, more senior, lad said he should get up and at least try and look busy and the younger lad said 'what's the point?' and the other lad just shook his head. But the younger lad was right, what's the point in looking busy if there's nothing to do?
From my perspective, if a manager catches you not looking busy they'll start looking into if they need a team of 5, or if you all need to be employed until 5pm, or if more duties should be loaded onto the team.

A different interpretation of the phrase 'the devil makes work for idle hands.'

Red Oktober posted:

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that the idea of paying for 'time' from workers in general wasn't really a thing until the invention of the assembly line and affordable clocks, until then people would be paid a piecemeal rate depending on bushels of corn collected etc.
I can't remember the name but trashfuture did an episode a few [currently meaningless unit of time] ago where they kept going on about the dude who came up with the idea of efficiency of motion and correcting workers actions to maximise efficienciency. I want to say brown, browning? But that doesn't feel right. Wikipedia says Ford but maybe another non addle-brained TF hog can remember.

sebzilla posted:

Isn't the whole thing a load of shite given that the EHRC Report itself specifically protects the right to express opinion on the scale of antisemitism in Labour?
No but you see the abstract says he did a bad, and you should not look into the person writing that abstract, or who put them there, or how it contrasts with the rest of the report because the wording of this particular section says he did a bad and that sir is journalism.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Julio Cruz posted:

didn't you hear, all criticism of Jewish people is anti-semitic now

All criticism of capitalism too, because the concept of rich people controlling the world is an evil antisemitic trope

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To me the dude's behaviour seemed sort of like he might have been undiagnosed on the spectrum. He was also living on his own, the amount of times he was interviewed about it and the neighbours were questioned, they all started to turn against him as well.
Sounds a bit like the case of Cameron Todd Willingham, where everyone decided he must have done it and been poo poo, despite sympathy for him at the start. Also some of the forensics used for key evidence were just fabricated nonsense to explain the facts that the prosecution wanted to exist.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't remember the name but trashfuture did an episode a few [currently meaningless unit of time] ago where they kept going on about the dude who came up with the idea of efficiency of motion and correcting workers actions to maximise efficienciency. I want to say brown, browning? But that doesn't feel right. Wikipedia says Ford but maybe another non addle-brained TF hog can remember.
Sounds like Taylorism. Brownian motion is a lot less organized. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1271145066690564096?s=19

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ice T is such a powerful poster.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Corbz is far too classy to stoop to something like messy litigation

Hence why he lost

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Corbs just seems generally ineffectual.

An unprepared substitute teacher who had the entire British lefts hopes riding on his shoulders

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

peanut- posted:

I mean I think the "don't talk to police" advice has the implicit corollary of "until you've spoken to a lawyer who can advise you what you should or should not say".

If there is one thing the past five years have taught us, surely it is "no, we do actually need to say the quiet part out loud because subtleties are important and easy to miss if you don't draw attention to them". This is exactly the same reasoning as "ABOLISH THE POLICE", "do you mean, like, get rid of all law enforcement?", "NO OF COURSE I DON'T MEAN THAT". Well, it sure sounded like we did for a moment there, until someone asked a question and it got clarified.

It's especially important when you have the 900-pound gorilla of the USA's cultural influence giving us totally inappropriate-to-E&W advice, like that fast-talking James Duane "never talk to the police" video which everyone's seen, and the vast majority of police tactics in there are all massive case-stopping breaches of PACE.

JoylessJester posted:

Police routinely lie about their powers particularly around questioning stop & search . I.e. "There's been lots of burglaries in they area so you have to show me your ID etc."

Which is a completely different issue to what happens after the words get said.

The thing to watch out for in the modern world is, "any body worn video from the encounter?" "...no...?" "Why not?" There's no excuse for it, and by a shocking coincidence, the ropier the grounds, the less likely there is to be camera footage. I do agree that a lot of police officers have a shockingly poor interpretation of what they can and can't do, even when their camera is switched on, and it's a great deal of fun to point out to them how they've just shown a video of someone being unlawfully arrested.

quote:

I had some close friends who were arrested in their late teens who were talked into forgoing any legal defence 'because it's 2am and it'll be aload of hassle".

Anecdotally, I'm told this happened a lot up until about 10 years ago, and then you've got a combination of a lot of court attention was focused onto looking out for people doing this and throwing the cases out (along with other wheezes like "just have it and you'll definitely get a caution"); and then a lot of the old farts for whom it was standard practice resigned during the pay freezes, and went off to an exciting new career doing QA for colouring-in books. I'm not going to claim it never happens, but it's no longer the serious concern it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
frederick winslow taylor and his horrible engineer brain