Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Now I'd forgotten that Hollow is another St. Clair sibling. Wow. I think I remember her from that Loners miniseries few remember where Power Pack's Lightspeed came out as bi. (Although there they were leaning more towards lesbian but I think the official word is bi.)

Yeah, she's bi and they did some questionable stuff in Avengers Academy with students hitting on her. Like the one dude with lightning powers, and of course she ended up hooking up with Karolina from the Runaways, until Rowell's run broke them up so Niko/Karolina could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That is the most words I think anyone has ever written regarding Monet and her adjacent cast.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hollow's really weird, both because of her backstory and because of her meta history. It clearly wasn't intended for her to be secretly the Real Monet from the start and that twist really messed with her. Even back in Gen-X everyone forgot she existed right after she woke up from having the twins exploded out of her by the bomb that killed Synch; and in the last issue when the team breaks up none of her friends bother to tell Penance/Hollow that the team is disbanding so I imagine she just kept going to the empty Massachusetts Academy for a while before eventually getting captured by an MGH ring in time for the Loners mini.

So she's not a traditional sibling, she probably isn't blood related to Marius or Monet or the Twins, but assuming Marius/Emplate isn't lying (he is) he implies he created Yvette/Penance out of nothing, which should count. Since that's not really a power he's exhibited since, it's pretty in character for that to be total bullshit. He was already starting to resemble her at that point, so Yvette/Hollow was probably just a mutant he found and was feeding on who just so happened to be perfectly suited to contain Monet.

Emplate has a type, and his type is: "tough enough to survive multiple repeated feedings." If they're not at least as tough as Monet he doesn't bother with them unless he's desperate. It's why he abducted Bling instead of, say, Eye Boy and that's a big reason why I find Emplate really interesting (yes, you've found probably the world's only Emplate fan). He's unrepentant about his feeding because he has to do it; but even though he could just murder people he instead chooses victims who can survive him (Yvette/Monet/Bling) or beat him (Monet/Chamber/Synch). Even though he's a megalomaniac driven by pure hunger, he always seems reluctant to actually kill anyone and nearly always sets himself up for failure (why target the X-Men? He claims it's for convenience but I think it's because he knows they'll stop him before he goes too far).

He's basically a creepier version of Rogue with more disgusting / crippling powers, but there's a lot going on there. Rather than being driven by guilt over putting Carol Danvers in a coma, he's driven by guilt for accidentally killing his mother. He's one of those characters who could really work on Krakoa, if they find time to explore him.

Anyway, Yvette/Hollow is weird at all levels. Leech has no effect on her, at all, and even though she spent a lot of time in Leech's presence, doing so didn't release Monet or the Twins. It gets even weirder when you learn the Monet family can "gestalt" with one another. Claudette + Nicolette = Fake Monet, Fake Monet + Emplate = M-Plate. Monet + Emplate = A slightly different, less powerful M-Plate. But when they Gestalt with Hollow, they just stay Hollow. It's like she's a psionic void they can't escape.

TLDR: Hollow and Emplate are both cool and should be used more.

This is an excellent summation of the potential of these characters. Considering the current focus on Mutant power circuits, the St. Croix family and Hollow are interesting in this regard, and Al Ewing is just the kind of writer to tidy up/utilise that backstory. (Though of course the X-Office as a whole is hinting at mutant powers development.)

That X-Men Legacy arc focusing on Emplate and Bling was so good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, she's bi and they did some questionable stuff in Avengers Academy with students hitting on her. Like the one dude with lightning powers, and of course she ended up hooking up with Karolina from the Runaways, until Rowell's run broke them up so Niko/Karolina could happen.

It did also give us Julie/Rikki Barnes in Future Foundation which a half-dozen people read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/zachrabiroff/status/1360771442921594889?s=20

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gologle posted:

That is the most words I think anyone has ever written regarding Monet and her adjacent cast.

That was the short version. I could write a lot more about the St. Croix family (except for M. Monet is exactly what she appears to be), I'm just not sure anyone's interested.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's actually very interesting, I learned more about these characters than I've ever known. Up to you if you want to post, but :justpost:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I never read any Gen-X but I did just re-read the AvX issues of Avengers Academy and I remembered seeing who I assumed (correctly) you were referring to in, like, a single panel. Looked her up on the Marvel Wiki and, well, certainly a contender for "hardest character to explain to your non-comics-reading friends".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Trying to explain Monet and her sisters is nearly impossible, yeah. I mean, even the Summers family would look at the St. Croix family and be like "drat that's some convoluted poo poo."

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Codependent Poster posted:

Trying to explain Monet and her sisters is nearly impossible, yeah. I mean, even the Summers family would look at the St. Croix family and be like "drat that's some convoluted poo poo."

The eventual CerebroCast episode is going to be bananas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. By comparison the Guthrie clan are pedestrian. "There's a lot of them and some of them are mutants. The end."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

• there are many st. croix siblings: a brother, an older sister, and a pair of younger twin sisters.

• the siblings all have a superpower held in common, which lets them combine any number of themselves into one being. different combinations have different abilities, almost always related somehow to the elements of the combination.

• the brother (marius, also called emplate) is a kind of vampire. if he feeds from someone with superpowers a lot, he can take on aspects of their powers permanently. he lived in another dimension for a long time.

• the older sister (money, or m) is psychic, and has most of Superman's powers.

• the younger twins (nicole and claudette) have no special powers individually, except the common family superpower. when the twins combine with one another, they can mimic the appearance and powers of their older sister.

• there is another character who is connected to the family, but might not be a relative. her name is yvette, and her superhero name is hollow (but used to be penance). she has super-tough gemstone skin. emplate kept her prisoner for a long time, and used his vampire powers to feed off her. that is why emplate has super-tough skin now.

• the four siblings cannot combine with hollow like they can with one another; however, the siblings or combination of the siblings can get “trapped” in her if they try to use their combining power with her. having any of the st. croix siblings trapped in her does not seem to affect hollow's mind or body much, if at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

drat that's some convoluted poo poo

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

drat that's some convoluted poo poo

xmen.txt

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

^^:hmmyes:

Also, none of the above effort posts about the St. Croix explained why Monet can now go into Penance mode. Nor why would someone with superman powers even need claws and red skin.

plus, how did that Moneta character from X-Tremis fit into any of that if at all

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Also, none of the above effort posts about the St. Croix explained why Monet can now go into Penance mode. Nor why would someone with superman powers even need claws and red skin.

It's new so we don't know yet. Something something Krakoa?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm quite excited that this year we'll get an Epic Collection for Generation X; I'm eager to experience that convoluted mess directly.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Yes, the resurrection process fixed it and now she can use her powers better.

That's gonna be a common answer these days.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think there was a storyline about her and Penance in that book where she was helping Psylocke (Betsy) with Magneto and Sabretooth and Archangel? I don't even remember which book it was. It was during the M-Pox years.

Ah right, Uncanny X-Men in 2016.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ok. So, this is going to get long and crazy and will probably muddy the waters more than it clarifies anything. I'm also exhausted, so I apologize in advance if this winds up incoherent. I'm going to try to mark the various fan theories I've bumped into wherever possible, but the rest is taken directly from the comics so it'll help to know a little about the Generation X run in advance. Gen-X was weird, and very much a horror comic disguised as a superhero book. I'd suggest reading it, if you get the chance. It's not that long, the art varies a lot, and the storylines can get a little disjointed; but it has its moments and most of them involve Emplate, or Penance, or Emma Frost going nuts, or Jubilee convincing a Prime Sentinel to turn on Bastion. It's also unfortunately (usually) really ugly, but the first few issues are pretty gorgeous. This is the best Chamber has ever looked:

Gen-X was a battle-ready team with a stellar on-paper roster: Banshee and (pre-diamond) Emma Frost, Slightly Worse Mr. Fantastic (Skin), Any Material Iceman (Husk), Better Rogue (Synch), Rich Psionic Superboy (Monet), Sentient Psionic Death Star Laser and Angsty Body Horror (Chamber), Bulletproof Wolverine (Penance), and Jubilee (Jubilee), but they never really got a chance to show off because Emplate was about the only one who could engage them on even terms. Everyone else either got chumped (Fever Pitch, Black Tom, the Juggernaut) or were completely out of their league (Bastion). Their first enemies were a vampire (Emplate), a vampire (Dracula), Orphanmaker (but really a whole town full of angry morons), and the demon vampire D'Spayre. Horror comic, masquerading as a superhero team.

I think Marvel Editorial expected Gen-X to be much more popular (with the VtM and Goth crowd) than it wound up being; and I don't think editorial's expectations were the fault of the creative team. The art was pretty variable, with one colorist who clearly 'got it' and another who didn't. The earliest issues are great, but the middle of the run got heavily disrupted by the major 90s X-events: Onslaught and Bastion. The semi-rare occasions the team did get to complete a self-contained story arc, they got loving insane poo poo like the fairies of Cassidy Keep abducting the team into another dimension so Jono could use his unfathomable psionic potential to recharge the batteries in the machinery that makes fairy magic work (yes you read that correctly, Penance beat a dragon by poking it in the rear end); Black Tom Cassidy trying to feed the whole team to Krakoa (and failing because Penance just loving murdered him before they got there); or M-Plate trying to combine all living things in every universe (including ours) into a single omnipotent individual.

Marius (Emplate), Monet (M), Claudette & Nicole, are the mutant members of St. Croix family. They're like the Guthries, except it's pretty likely that their mother was also a mutant or a latent mutant. Marius and Monet have always been brother and sister.

As far as X-Men villains (or even regular team members) go, Emplate has a shockingly low kill count. Which isn't to say he hasn't come close to killing main characters: he nearly killed Paige on his first appearance and nearly killed Bishop on his second. He's done a number on several others, including the entire 2008 X-Men team; but, to my knowledge, during the entire Gen-X run Emplate's only confirmed kill is his own mother. Emplate ate her after his X-Gene manifested, which is why we know she was probably a mutant. Emplate only feeds on other mutants. Even back on his very first appearance?

He has the opportunity to commit an atrocity, he absolutely has the power to do so, with ease. He even kinda wants to, and admits he likely will one day and he does, when he reappears in 2008, in a very similar scene. He arrives at the X-Mansion being torn down after M-Day and kills several workers because he's frustrated and starving in the post M-Day Marvel universe and there's no one around who can stop him.. But, on his first appearance? He doesn't commit an act of mass murder. Instead he introduces himself to the Gen-X team by feeding on Jono then leaves, denying them their first fight against a real villain. He's creepy, he talks too much in the 'tells everyone his immediate goal and his weaknesses' way (which he stops doing later, he still talks a lot but he doesn't think the X-Men need his help to beat him the way Gen-X did). Everything he does is ultimately self-defeating. He has found himself a group that can contend with him and he hounds them until they stop him. Which is important, considering his powerset:

Marius is a mutant vampire who can't even exist in our dimension without feeding (I'll get to this in a bit). Every second of his existence is torture and the only reason he's still alive is because he has created 'Emplate' to do what needs to be done to keep breathing even one more day. He can copy mutant abilities by feeding on them, or if they're energy-based and used on him (presumably he can feed on the energy directly). Either that, or he can capture and redirect energy he's struck with--sound familiar? He's also psionic, and his 'primary' psionic ability is biological psychometry. He can tell a person's name, mood, powers, and history just by looking at them. It's also implied, but never outright stated, that Fake Monet (Claudette + Nicole) shares this ability, and they're the only "individual" that Emplate can't read. There is no one better suited to keeping tabs on Krakoa than Emplate, he can tell at a glance whether Krakoa is over-eating or not. It's also possible they can come up with a way to sustain him in the long-term, if they can clone mutants they can clone a big pile of bone marrow for him to eat.

As with classic vampires, can also make loyal vampire servants that share a portion of his abilities; and can even turn normal humans into emplate vampires (presumably by sharing his damaged x-gene with them). In Bishop's future a group of Emplate-like vampires who call themselves "Emplates" are everywhere and can presumably spread without his aid. I'm only mentioning this because:

Bishop is Monet's son. Probably. Except he's also probably not. He only ever interacts with Fake Monet, who he doesn't recognize. So there's a good chance he's actually the son of Claudette or, more likely, Nicole..

Oddly enough, in spite of plenty of opportunities, Emplate never tries to feed on Monet (fake or real) unless they're trapped in Yvette. I also don't remember him ever feeding on Emma, Paige, or Skin, and he only feeds on Jubilee after she taunts him into it because her powers are uncontrollable in a way Emplate isn't prepared to handle. His primary targets are nearly always Jono (who can not only survive but actively resist Emplate's feedings), Synch, or Penance. Synch is the odd duck, but Emplate is quite durable and by synching with him Synch gets some of Marius's toughness (as well as his hunger). When Emplate put in an appearance back in 2008, he targeted Bling! because she reminded him of Penance.

I personally believe that most everything Marius chooses to present himself as is a lie. An act. A way to psych himself up to do what he needs to in order to exist just one more day in spite of the hellish things in his pocket dimension that tear his body to ribbons. He is playing the role of a monster and he's good at it, but this is still the reality of Emplate:

Claudette and Nicole are way more interesting than Monet. Claudette is high on the autism spectrum, Nicole is otherwise normal but doesn't seem to have any powers of her own. Their powerset is supposedly a form of twin-telepathy (Nicole can understand what Claudette wants and needs) and without fusing Claudette managed to trap Emplate in a pocket hell-dimension he is incapable of permanently escaping from, and she did it by just drawing a circle on the floor with a piece of chalk. Combined, they're break reality at least as well as the Scarlet Witch did. They can make things happen, they just have to combine to actually reach their potential.

They share the St. Croix family ability of being able to physically and mentally fuse with the other mutant members of their family, in the same way the Summers Brothers are immune to one anothers' powers and the Gray family keeps accidentally finding time-displaced younger clones of themselves. :v:

When members of the St. Croix family gestalt together, they don't just add their abilities together, they're not separate minds in a single body, they become one single entity with shared memories, a new personality, and often an entirely new (or expanded) power set. Together, the M-Twins willed themselves into an identical copy of Monet, but I'm going to suggest Fake Monet is probably more powerful than the real thing--or, at the very least, had a few more abilities like being able to shield herself from Emplate's psychometry. The entire St. Croix family is stronger together than they ever were apart.

Claudette + Nicole + Marius?

M-Plate. I'm pretty sure the talking Penance here is a mis-colored Paige. The original M-Plate is really cool. They were explicitly nonbinary, back in the 90s no less. Neither the twins nor Emplate are 'in charge,' either. The first M-Plate is an entirely new entity. Amoral, with the twins reality warping powers, and with a complete X-Gene. M-plate lacks Marius's hunger and doesn't need to feed, but claims to posses an entirely different need. They never outright state what that need is, but they put a plan into motion to combine all living things in every dimension into a single omnipotent godhead. I personally think M-Plate's "need" was to combine with the real Monet, who they couldn't find (or couldn't directly recover) from Yvette, and they were willing to unite with everyone and everything in order to be together with Monet again.

M-Plate can warp reality on whim, but still doesn't actively harm any of the Gen-X team. Instead they just prevent the Gen-X kids from getting close, or trap them in impenetrable force fields (a power none of the St. Croix family possess) until they're eventually beaten when Dirtnap (who Monet/Penance befriended) heroically eats them and forcibly breaks apart their gestalt fusion. They do kill Chimera first, in one of the only on-page deaths in Gen-X, and it happens when Marius is not in control.

Monet + Marius yields a slightly different M-Plate. A less powerful, far more murderous one. Monet has never really had any qualms about committing grievous harm to others, but aside from gaining a tiny fraction of the original M-Plate's reality warping powers this M-Plate doesn't really gain anything new or different. They're (or she? I think Monet-Plate is still a she) essentially just vampire Monet. M just couldn't stand Jubilee having something unique and had to show her up. :v:

Claudette + Nicole + Monet never happens, nor do we ever get a merger of all four. Presumably if they did combine they'd be on Onslaught or Apocalypse's level. If you believe old power graphs, Emplate can surpass both of them on his own, which I'm glad has never been tested because it would be stupid. Or briefly awesome, and then stupid.

That leaves the mysterious Yvette. Gateway's Penance (now Hollow). We're shown Emplate creating Hollow by transforming the original Monet into a mutant perfectly suited to his needs:

But that's a memory the twins ripped out of Emplate's head after M-Plate separated. I don't entirely believe it, because Emplate already looks like he's been feeding on Yvette. When Gateway dropped Yvette off at the Massachusetts Academy, he said "penance," explicitly, because saving her was Gateway's penance for something Gateway had previously done. And yet--there's no sign of Gateway anywhere. If I had to hazard a guess, Gateway offered Yvette up to Emplate to keep him placid and/or keep him from going after the other St. Croix children. Gateway feels guilty about something and he knows who Emplate really is right from issue 1. When Emplate reappears and attacks Fake Monet, that breaks whatever deal he had with Gateway and Gateway took Yvette back.

And here's where we bump into problems. Because she was created as a mystery with a "we'll figure it out later" backstory, Yvette's powers are very badly defined. She got the Juggernaut's helmet off in two panels and killed Black Tom Cassidy without him even realizing she'd cut him in half (vertically).

She's "diamond hard" but can crush diamonds to dust with her bare hands. She's not usually portrayed as being significantly stronger than a normal person but can "crush a mac truck between her fingers" and can run as fast as a speeding jeep. She can burrow through dirt and stone effortlessly, at running speeds (again, as fast as a speeding jeep). In the D'Spayre annual, she's described (by Sean Cassidy) as being dense as a neutron star and having her own gravitational field. She can cut through the second hardest substance known to Marvel Superhero Science (omnium) with ease but nobody wants to make the call as to whether or not she can cut through adamantium (if she can, she's Omega-level sharp!). Even Monet can't touch her without risking injury, but Yvette can't cut her own skin (except on a single occasion when she did, which Banshee commented on because he didn't think anything could hurt her); yet Emplate can feed on her even though that should be physically impossible (which means his feeding is probably psionic rather than wholly physical and the hand-mouths are just for show). Her mind is perfectly shielded but Emma Frost can still knock her unconscious with a surprise psychic blast. She's immune to Leech's mutant power nullification even though she has no reason to be. She regenerates (at least her bone marrow) quickly enough that Emplate can't kill her but spending a few minutes playing in a swimming pool with Jubilee nearly does.

There are a few fan theories about her. The one I like the best is that Yvette is actually a negative energy vampire. The more negative emotions she's exposed to, the more her body reacts to protect itself, like an emotional version of Darwin. If something causes her pain her body permanently adapts to resist it, and she's not really immune to Leech's power, spending time in Leech's presence just stops the transformation from happening either way. The moment she's removed from Emplate's hell dimension and enters into an environment where people care about her, she starts softening up enough to accidentally scratch up her own face with her claws. Her nearly dying in the swimming pool had nothing to do with the water and everything to do with the sudden shock of feeling happiness for the first time in years, which gave her a seizure. This explanation solves a fair number of Yvette's problems (Is she Omega-level sharp? No. Because being sharp isn't her power if she's a porcupine. Could she ever cut adamantium? Theoretically, but the things she'd have to be exposed to in order to do so would never happen with the X-Men.)

If I had to guess why Monet and the twins can turn themselves into copies of Yvette now, I'd have a few possible answers:

1) Monet spent years in Yvette's body, and the twins spent several months in it. Being in Yvette is, or was at the time, completely traumatizing and the memory of being Yvette has been ingrained into their psyches. Because they're all reality warpers on some level or another, Claudette was probably feeling lonely or afraid and transformed by accident, and Nicole transformed to keep Claudette from freaking out because the M-Twins hated being stuck in Yvette's body; and once Monet learned it was possible she tried it out herself.

2) Yvette was never real, the Hollow that appeared during the Loners and Avengers Academy was being 'driven' by a third party (which was implied by the writers at the time). Presumably whoever was 'in control' at the time has been resurrected on Krakoa, which killed Hollow her and caused what was left of her to re-combine with Monet and the twins. Marius was gaslighting Monet by calling her Yvette, she really was Monet all along. If any of this is true I'm going to be grumpy, because Yvette is neat and needs an opportunity to live her own life. She saved Jubilee from a sasquatch and Jubilee didn't even tell her 'goodbye.'

3) The St. Croix children don't really exist. Yvette is the original. When her family was killed in Bosnia she used her reality-warping powers to give herself a new family by splitting herself into four beings with her reality-warping powers: a scapegoat to take the blame, a 'perfect angel' to take her place, a truly innocent version of herself, and a copy of that innocent version of herself who contains most of the original Yvette's reality-warping powers but doesn't have the capability to abuse them. When history repeated and Marius killed her new mother, the hollow Yvette that was created to contain Monet was actually the physical body of the original. The St. Croix family can't 'escape' this Yvette because they know it's where they belong even if they're incapable of remembering that once they're separated again. The more 'pieces' of them that come together the more they realize how much of themselves they're still missing.

That last one is Scarlet Witch crazy, so it's probably too nuts to be true. Even for the X-Men. :haw:

TLDR: Gen-X is bonkers but worth the read if you get the chance, as is the X-Men's encounter with Emplate back in X-Men Legacy Annual and X-Men Legacy 228-230. Emplate is neat. Penance is neat. Claudette and Nicole need to recombine into Fake Monet again to help the real Monet at some point and confuse the poo poo out of Angel because that would be great.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 16, 2021

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
JFC I read like 30% of that before realizing I was only 30% in...

We're doing AoA now on my x-book club of post-Claremont x-overs, and Generation Next is the highlight (honestly, one of the only ones; this story is mostly Not Good, with almost universally worse versions of characters and as generic set of villains as you'll ever come across). The GN story is completely hosed up, right up to the extremely disturbing ending. Secret horror book for sure. Bachalo's art runs wild- though even today his biggest issue is putting together coherent fight scenes. Once action starts happening, there's no sense of what the hell is going on but it looks good. The coloring, though, is astounding, especially for the time. Revolutionary poo poo from Starkings (who was doing a lot of the X-Books around this time but nothing was coming close to this work).

What is it with x-books about kids being not-so-subtle horror books?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is quite something to watch Bachalo's art go from that hyper detailed feast for the eyes (which he uses through the first few issues of Gen X and also the Age of Apocalypse Generation Next) and then return with a much more stylized style that I imagine was much easier to hit in a deadline. Poptarts' very well done effortpost made want to go back and re-read the series but alas there are some extremely significant gaps in Marvel Unlimited's library.

Please enjoy the only known recorded instance of Emma Frost in jeans and chunky sneakers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Bachalo's work is so fantastic on early Gen X, it nails that horror vibe and reminds me of his early work on Sandman and Shade. It's a shame so much of the non-bachalo art early on is so ugly and generic.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

It's a shame so much of the non-bachalo art early on is so ugly and generic.

This is true of all these books post-Claremont. There's usually one person doing solid-great work and then the rest seem like guys (it's all guys) very early in their career doing... not great stuff. With Image at the time swiping anyone who had any remote amount of talent (i.e., aping one of their founders), it's clear that Marvel was just bringing in any kid they could to do work on literally their best selling books. This read has been fun ("fun") to see people like Steve Scroce and Steve Epting doing really awful poo poo, knowing how good they'll get later.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

This is true of all these books post-Claremont. There's usually one person doing solid-great work and then the rest seem like guys (it's all guys) very early in their career doing... not great stuff. With Image at the time swiping anyone who had any remote amount of talent (i.e., aping one of their founders), it's clear that Marvel was just bringing in any kid they could to do work on literally their best selling books. This read has been fun ("fun") to see people like Steve Scroce and Steve Epting doing really awful poo poo, knowing how good they'll get later.

For sure, early-ish Bryan Hitch is kind of a trip around that time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

For sure, early-ish Bryan Hitch is kind of a trip around that time.

Haven't gotten there but the Ellis-penned Excalibur (and X-Calibre) issues are also a bit shocking for someone who would do genre-breaking things in another 3-4 years. This poo poo is TERRIBLE:

From X-Calibre #3:

From X-Calibre #4:

One of the amazing things is how willing Marvel was to let people cut their teeth on their biggest properties in this era. Maybe it's because X-Men would sell no matter who was writing or doing art but it feels so weird, especially after decades of good-to-great art on those books.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

It is quite something to watch Bachalo's art go from that hyper detailed feast for the eyes (which he uses through the first few issues of Gen X and also the Age of Apocalypse Generation Next) and then return with a much more stylized style that I imagine was much easier to hit in a deadline. Poptarts' very well done effortpost made want to go back and re-read the series but alas there are some extremely significant gaps in Marvel Unlimited's library.
A big part of that is the inker, the first run was all inked by Mark Buckingham (who had just finished inking Bachalo on his Sandman/Death/Shade the Changing Man runs at DC/Vertigo). They made an effort to keep Buckingham around to do inks/finishes on the string of people who penciled issues 7-15, and he did the first few Bachalo issues the first time he came back, but pretty soon it was Bachalo x A Revolving Door of Inkers, mostly Al Vey, who I believe inked that Emma in Jeans panel.

Bachalo also seems to have a *lot* of books where there are multiple inkers on the same issue, so you also may be onto something with the deadlines.

Also those X-Calibre issues were drawn by Ken Lashley, not Bryan Hitch. Hitch was more of a Alan Davis clone in that period, but those panels definitely aren't his work.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Also those X-Calibre issues were drawn by Ken Lashley, not Bryan Hitch. Hitch was more of a Alan Davis clone in that period, but those panels definitely aren't his work.

Yeah for clarification I was saying that I haven't gotten to the Hitch stuff yet BUT Ellis is also not in top-form at this point.

Lashley's work really runs the gamut on a panel-to-panel basis from the work I've read around this time. It's also clear he's one of those artists at the time that can't quite figure out which Image artist (or Joe Mad) he wants to copy.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

danbanana posted:

From X-Calibre #4:

where does the gradient bush disappear to in between panels one and two?

untold tale of the age of apocalypse, imo

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Edge & Christian posted:

Bachalo also seems to have a *lot* of books where there are multiple inkers on the same issue, so you also may be onto something with the deadlines.

He may have also been asked to. A lot of the later issues are pseudo-Anime in a "draw your own Anime!" book sort of way. That would've been right around the time Sailor Moon and the like were getting popular, so I've always wondered if it was an editorial request. It happens around the same time Gen-X transitions from fighting real weirdos like Fever Pitch to doing insane poo poo like helping Sean Cassidy figure out why fairies stole his ancestral castle.

Edit: I'm still more amused by the colorist who threw photoshop lens flares on everything. That would've been right after the original inker left I think and I'm sure it was really impressive in the mid-90s, but today it makes those issues look really amateurish even though the quality of the linework is still solid.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 17, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

wielder posted:

Yes, the resurrection process fixed it and now she can use her powers better.

That's gonna be a common answer these days.

She was able to switch long before Krakoa, it happened during All New/All different, Marius possessed her for a good long while and started calling themselves M-Plate. She was freed from the possession at the end of the new Gen X run right before Hox/Pox.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Honestly, looking back at Generation X, it's kind of amazing that the whole St. Croix story ended up as coherent as it did - convoluted, yes, but given that it's basically a string of retcons on top of retcons, none of which particularly resemble the original plans for the characters, it hangs together fairly well.

I do wish we got more of the twins in later stories - given that they were 'Monet' for most of the series, it's a shame they've all but disappeared compared to the 'real' Monet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, iLol'd really hard at the start of Marauders this week. "Why is Proteus here?" WELL...:xd:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I was going with "well, that's an interesting coincidence, but it makes sense", only for Emma to open her mouth and me going "wait, what does she know??"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

He may have also been asked to. A lot of the later issues are pseudo-Anime in a "draw your own Anime!" book sort of way. That would've been right around the time Sailor Moon and the like were getting popular, so I've always wondered if it was an editorial request. It happens around the same time Gen-X transitions from fighting real weirdos like Fever Pitch to doing insane poo poo like helping Sean Cassidy figure out why fairies stole his ancestral castle.

Bachalo's stuff does get really anime-esque stylized when he comes back later in the run (where I got that picture of Emma from). Maybe he got super into Battle Angel Alita? I don't know. It does stand out very starkly to his first stuff which did look like it took ages to draw. (Even more so for Generation Next.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Today I also read a 90's comic, or rather, someone's very good take on what a 90's comic is from nostalgia right down to the coloring and the art lines. And while it's about Adam X the X-Treme, I liked it and want more. This is a weird feeling.

Also, Noto seems to think Domino has a bionic eye? I'm fairly sure that's never been a thing from whatever I remember in old X-Force comics, recent X-Force comics, and even her recent solo book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Also, Noto seems to think Domino has a bionic eye? I'm fairly sure that's never been a thing from whatever I remember in old X-Force comics, recent X-Force comics, and even her recent solo book.

it's weird because his personal sketches of her don't!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Saoshyant posted:

She had a hosed up eye for a while as a result of some things that happened in the first few issues of the current run of X-Force, but she's been resurrected since then and lost it. I guess He didn't get the memo.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Edge & Christian posted:

I was reading the Authority last night and I had to keep checking it wasn't Davis. Especially with the legion of badguys in the first issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

She had a hosed up eye for a while as a result of some things that happened in the first few issues of the current run of X-Force, but she's been resurrected since then and lost it. I guess He didn't get the memo.

that wasn't even the same eye!

and it was never red!

e: that said, really enjoyed this issue of Cable!

Alaois fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 17, 2021