Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Negative juice consumption picking up my girlfriend yesterday (descending from 1700m to 500m élévation. Still cool though!)

The display on my motorcycle (Zero SR) is pretty limited but I once feathered the brake all the way from the top of Rocky Mountain National Park to the Estes Park gate just to see if it really would increase the % State of Charge display.

(it did, by 2% :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Malpenix Blonia posted:

You should definitely take a rear-facing child seat with you when you go look at vehicles.
This is frustratingly true.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Rear facing seats are ginormous and barely fit in most cars smaller than an S class. I would be wary of one in a Bolt unless the person sitting in front of it is short. Remember you need an inch or two of clearance between child seat and seat in front as well. I don't think I could safely fit ours behind me in the Model 3.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 16, 2021

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Malpenix Blonia posted:

You should definitely take a rear-facing child seat with you when you go look at vehicles.

This.

Doing so is what sealed the deal on our escape because the rear bench being able to slide back gave me enough leg room for good length drives even with the carseat behind me.

Edit: And someday when i get to turn that carseat around and slide the bench back forward is going to make our trunk feeling loving massive.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ilkhan posted:

This is frustratingly true.

poo poo, yes. I literally could not fit in the passenger seat of my wife's Focus with one of those in. We're just lucky she's small.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Off topic, but how long have rear facing seats been around? Asking because my parents had a Datsun 510 and other small cars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charles posted:

Off topic, but how long have rear facing seats been around? Asking because my parents had a Datsun 510 and other small cars.

There was a huge stink about unsafe car seats ca. 1980 and regulations on them started tightening in the mid-80s or so IIRC.

Rear facing seats have been around (as in you could buy one if you looked for it) for a long time. They weren't widely available or used until the same time frame.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
FYI not all rear facing car seats are the same. There are car seat enthusiast facebook groups which can give you some guidance on the best/smallest rear facing seats. I think the diono Radian was one of the better ones for a long time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Car seat enthusists. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Of course it's perfectly obvious such a thing exists after it's said out loud. And probably rule 34. Because why the gently caress not, there's always more and it's always worse.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Of course it's perfectly obvious such a thing exists after it's said out loud. And probably rule 34. Because why the gently caress not, there's always more and it's always worse.

Google "the baby guy". Guy from California who loves car seats and strollers. He isn't married and doesn't have kids.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Also don't buy a recaro car seat they are dogshit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of my friends had to endure a "Car Seat Consultation" by appointment only at Bye Bye Baby or someshit because his wife really, really needed to know if the Britax was the best choice for a side-impact collision.

It was insane.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

One of my friends had to endure a "Car Seat Consultation" by appointment only at Bye Bye Baby or someshit because his wife really, really needed to know if the Britax was the best choice for a side-impact collision.

It was insane.

There is a pediatrician in NYC that charges a large amount of money to help you pick the right car seat for your car. My wife showed me a photo of a 911 convertible with two small kids in the back that she setup.

If you don't have $1000 to drop on a car seat consult your local fire department probably has a CPST certificated person who can double check your install.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Shamino posted:

FYI not all rear facing car seats are the same. There are car seat enthusiast facebook groups which can give you some guidance on the best/smallest rear facing seats. I think the diono Radian was one of the better ones for a long time.

I can confirm the Diono radian is a great compact car seat that fits pretty much anywhere, and works in both rear and forward-facing configurations. It also works well on airplanes, (at lease forward facing,) and is easy to transport. It’s also pricey compared to other options.

Just to take the derail slightly further, I also really like the Chicco Keyfit 30 for infants.

More on-topic, I am feeling the challenge of getting the kids in the back of the model 3, and I’m considering moving to a model X. I like the interior updates, and I’m not tired of the speed yet. I’m concerned about interior quality compared to the GLS or X7, but I’d prefer to stay electric, and there’s nothing else quite like the X in the space. (7 seat Y will be too small.) so, I don’t know what to do yet, but I have time.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Chrysler Pacifica PHEV or wait for the Cadillac Escalade BEV in a few years if you want other options.

Unrelated, Jesus gently caress, this pedestrian proccesoe is goddamn huge. That "tiny" truck carrying it is a Silverado 6500HD. Really hope I never have to walk on foot in the same city as one 😓

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 16, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aino Minako posted:

I can confirm the Diono radian is a great compact car seat that fits pretty much anywhere, and works in both rear and forward-facing configurations. It also works well on airplanes, (at lease forward facing,) and is easy to transport. It’s also pricey compared to other options.

Just to take the derail slightly further, I also really like the Chicco Keyfit 30 for infants.

More on-topic, I am feeling the challenge of getting the kids in the back of the model 3, and I’m considering moving to a model X. I like the interior updates, and I’m not tired of the speed yet. I’m concerned about interior quality compared to the GLS or X7, but I’d prefer to stay electric, and there’s nothing else quite like the X in the space. (7 seat Y will be too small.) so, I don’t know what to do yet, but I have time.

Child seat enthusiast spotted.

How does the Id.4 compare with the X/Y for 2nd row space ? How many child seats do you want to put in it?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Westy543 posted:

Chrysler Pacifica PHEV or wait for the Cadillac Escalade BEV in a few years if you want other options.

Unrelated, Jesus gently caress, this pedestrian proccesoe is goddamn huge. That "tiny" truck carrying it is a Silverado 6500HD. Really hope I never have to walk on foot in the same city as one 😓

Truck size obsession is really pathological.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh well. If GM can convert that demographic to EVs, then good.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

It was insane.

Choice paralysis is serious business. But which car seat consultant is best for our little baby?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FilthyImp posted:

It was insane.

Shamino posted:

If you don't have $1000 to drop on a car seat

This is just so dumb and yet so completely "Of course they do"

quote:

And even more the flatbed has most of it's suspension travel taken. Sure, EV's are more suited to a larger CUV and are going to be larger vehicles but GG didnt think the Hummer would be THAT big

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 16, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Oh yeah good point. I'll be sure to do that. Dear god baby-poo poo is expensive.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think these past weeks of winter driving in Chicagoland have solidified my desire to replace my car with with an AWD BEV this year. Driving in the snow with a low ground clearance Charger has been a bit nerve wracking, and my job is not one where I can just call off due to bad weather.

I am not going to be in position to buy something until summer or fall, so I at least get to see all the new models hit the market this year and have tons of choices.

Is there going to be a big difference in charging/convenience between getting a 240V plug in my garage vs hard wiring a 240V charger of some sort in my garage? I figure I can get an electrician friend to come over and wire in a 240V outlet in my garage whenever he has free time over the summer, so it is ready to go. But if there may be a major advantage to getting a charger hard wired to 240V, I would consider waiting until I had actually chosen a vehicle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Earlier there was a little laugh at VW's typical fuel gauge which shows the number 1 expressed as a fraction when full. They've picked that up in the new ID software with "kWh/h":

Maybe it can be hacked to show kW * picosecond/picosecond or kW * gigayear/gigayear.

Maybe it was mentioned earlier, this video is a few months old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0AEK8B_eY

It's not very controlled, but it shows that the ID.4 consumption isn't too bad, but not excellent either.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Orvin posted:

Is there going to be a big difference in charging/convenience between getting a 240V plug in my garage vs hard wiring a 240V charger of some sort in my garage? I figure I can get an electrician friend to come over and wire in a 240V outlet in my garage whenever he has free time over the summer, so it is ready to go. But if there may be a major advantage to getting a charger hard wired to 240V, I would consider waiting until I had actually chosen a vehicle.
It is more convenient and that is pretty much it. Some vehicles can charge faster off a hard wired EVSE than they can off an outlet (long range/performance Tesla variants for example).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Orvin posted:

I think these past weeks of winter driving in Chicagoland have solidified my desire to replace my car with with an AWD BEV this year. Driving in the snow with a low ground clearance Charger has been a bit nerve wracking, and my job is not one where I can just call off due to bad weather.

I am not going to be in position to buy something until summer or fall, so I at least get to see all the new models hit the market this year and have tons of choices.

What tires are on the charger now?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
re: car seats

As someone who keeps cars until the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of a new used car, I went with "suck it up for two years" because I don't want to spend 8 years with a car I don't like for some convenience during the two years the seat has to be rear facing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Hope this thing is covered in cameras and runs mandatory pedestrian detection. This thing is gonna be 10,000lbs once the typical American family of 300lb, heavy breathing, grease monsters that 'need' these big trucks are all loaded in.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Phuzun posted:

Hope this thing is covered in cameras and runs mandatory pedestrian detection. This thing is gonna be 10,000lbs once the typical American family of 300lb, heavy breathing, grease monsters that 'need' these big trucks are all loaded in.

Based on the price and limited availability I imagine the first couple years at least will only be purchased for driving around Dubai.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i'm glad there are car seat enthusiast communities so that when i have to buy a car seat i don't have to do all my own original research to get something good

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Britax owns, and their rear facing seat fit fine in my Model 3. We got the set which comes with a stroller. Didn't pay $1k for it, though, jeez. I think you can get pretty decent deals on clearance since it seems they replace their latest stuff every year.

Edit: Looked up my order on Amazon, it was $329 for the combo.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 16, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zero One posted:

Based on the price and limited availability I imagine the first couple years at least will only be purchased for driving around Dubai.

An Miami. Miami is going to be filled with the godamned things.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What tires are on the charger now?

I have all season tires on the car, I can check the specific brand. They were replaced 2 weeks ago, as one of them developed a fast leak, and I had been dealing with slow leaks on the front tires (2-3 psi a week) since the cold weather began. The traction control on the car is fairly adequate, that isn’t really the issue. It’s the low ground clearance has started getting old. With the snow, I absolutely have to clear the bottom of my driveway after the plows come by. Even just a couple of inches would likely get my car stuck, to say nothing of messing with the front splitter on this car.

I had been thinking of buying a BEV car over the past month or two. The Mustang Mach-E as a viable alternative to Tesla, and the Bolts selling for under $30k have combined to get me seriously looking at them. My wife pointed out that I would probably be unhappy with the Bolt once the new factor wore off in 3-6 months, and she is probably right on that count. But I am hopeful that the Mustang, or maybe one of the other brands coming out this year (Nissan Ariya maybe) will be fun-ish to drive at a reasonable price point.

At some point I need to go test drive a long range Tesla Model Y, just to see if I really am turned off by the spartan interior. Or if the driving dynamics and price point make up for the appliance interior.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wonder if Tesla's going go keep their prices the same when their cars become eligible for the $7,500 credit again.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

It'd be a really bad PR look to jack prices, so almost certainly.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

It'd be a really bad PR look to jack prices, so almost certainly.

Would be funny if they did it any way but includes them with the lovely FSD. "It's worth $10k so you're really saving $2,500!"

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I could see them bumping price like $2k and making EAP baseline.

Edit: this is a really good incentive for them to push FSD, honestly. They can basically have the fed subsidize the program.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 16, 2021

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, got tired of waiting for the perfect car (seems to be 18 months out always) so went ahead and ordered the one that ticked the most boxes for me. Hopefully arriving in April.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Westy543 posted:

2022 Bolt EV is 31k before incentives for 259 mi, 34k for 250 mi for Bolt EUV. That's -msrp-

No updates to the battery in general, sounds like same DCFC speed.

is that 31k for the top level trim or bottom level trim for EV?

Because that's cheap if the former

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, got tired of waiting for the perfect car (seems to be 18 months out always) so went ahead and ordered the one that ticked the most boxes for me. Hopefully arriving in April.

Nice! Which trim?

Edit: Looking through the base model equipment it seems pretty decent. I find it pretty "cool" in a way that regen braking is so good that they are fitting drum brakes to heavy rear end cars to save some money (I guess this is the reason)? The ID4 looks more like a "normal" car than the ID3 as well which probably is a big bonus for many people.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nice! Which trim?

Edit: Looking through the base model equipment it seems pretty decent. I find it pretty "cool" in a way that regen braking is so good that they are fitting drum brakes to heavy rear end cars to save some money (I guess this is the reason)? The ID4 looks more like a "normal" car than the ID3 as well which probably is a big bonus for many people.

It's the "1st Edition" which at least here comes with a reasonable set of equipment, including the much desired tow hook (only good for 1000kg, but I just need to haul a 750kg trailer). I am glad it comes with a normal color steering wheel; the one I saw demo'd had white leather and some white-ish plastics which was a bit garish. The interior in the actual production vehicle is a little more laid back (below). The drum brakes aren't to save money according to VW but to reduce drag (disc brakes tend to drag a tiny bit) and they supposedly work better when used infrequently which will be the case with a RWD electric.