Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't even read the rules for 2.0, I was thinking of getting back in when I sold out but then covid happened.

Oh!

So the rules are (mostly) way more clear and well-defined than first edition. They learned a lot of lessons, and created terms (like basic maneuver) to describe things whose lack of defined terms caused issues in first edition.

Again, mostly. There are certainly levels of ambiguity that could have been avoided scattered around. But overall, second edition is a huge, huge improvement over first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
new previews out!

I liike. Especially the new awing guns and the ywing only EPT

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does that B-Wing weapon say range 2-4?

edit: Nevermind, that's for Epic play.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2021

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006

Funzo posted:

Does that B-Wing weapon say range 2-4?

According to the article, that’s the epic version. There is also a standard play version they haven’t shown yet.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I’m trying to think of some list with Hera and the Twotubes brothers and perceptive copilots to fly with a bunch of focus tokens. Keeping them all in 1-2 range would be tricky though

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Vult Skerris hurts my brain.

So, basically you lose that charge token at the end of every turn.

So you spend your action to get a strain and the charge.

Then you're able to delay your action until you engage?

Sounds like passive sensors, but with downside (strain) and upside (choice of more actions)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's a complete unworkable meme, but I'm definitely running a Cutthroat Deadman's switch Tel Trevura with 7 cheap wingmen to try and suicide bomb 9 times in a single game with one ship. Also

quote:

Four new HWK-290 Light Freighter ship cards and 9 BTL-A4 Y-wing ship
How loving many Y-Wings??? Also

quote:

4 secret condition cards
Hope you liked playing against Zam Wessel, cause I'm putting her on a secret condition HWK and multitasking x-wing and texas hold'em.

polynominal-c posted:

Vult Skerris hurts my brain.

Yeah, it's basically an upgrade/sidegrade passive sensors, a failsafe of sorts for when you get outbid/meet an I6. Probably mostly useful to ensure target lock for the configuration double-tap.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
New Interceptor pilots? I can finally go back to the real way to play X-Wing: Triple Int Aces, all hull, no shields, highway to the danger zone.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

New Interceptor pilots? I can finally go back to the real way to play X-Wing: Triple Int Aces, all hull, no shields, highway to the danger zone.

and system phase boosts and barrel rolls!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

polynominal-c posted:

and system phase boosts and barrel rolls!

That Autothrusters replacement card should work on Silencers, too. It is going to be great for Blackout. He can finally roll up behind a rock safely!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Isn’t there a rebel ship that has autothrusters? It would work for it, too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheCenturion posted:

The problem is that the rules incentivize a playstyle that is contrary to the stated design goals of the game. Therefore, the rules need to be tweaked to incentivize gameplay towards the intention.

In causal games, the goal is to 'have fun.' In games for prizes, the goal is to 'win.' One way to 'win' is to get up on points, then run out the clock. By the rules, that's a correct and valid way to play. By player experience, that's boring and not fun. Therefore, let's tweak the rules to steer the game towards more 'fun' playstyles, while still allowing people to play to win.

Just do away with the clock altogether. Run the game to annihilation or concession.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I mean, making the game a death slog and making any for of organized play impossible would solve the problem, in a roundabout way.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Isn’t there a rebel ship that has autothrusters? It would work for it, too.

No. The closest is teh RZ-1 which has vectored thrusters, which also is getting a card that let's them boost in the system phase, but also let's them rotate guns.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. The closest is teh RZ-1 which has vectored thrusters, which also is getting a card that let's them boost in the system phase, but also let's them rotate guns.

Rebel A-Wings really need that back arc, but holy poo poo it's still worse than an RZ-2 in every way. I wonder if they're gonna be super cheap?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, making the game a death slog and making any for of organized play impossible would solve the problem, in a roundabout way.

Guess so!
swarm vs. swarm matches are like, 5 or 6 turns in 75 minutes.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Rebel A-Wings really need that back arc, but holy poo poo it's still worse than an RZ-2 in every way. I wonder if they're gonna be super cheap?

Probably free since it removes your linked action.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

It is pretty bad I agree. But, on Jake, it can real good. Like, boost in system and give a focus then? Or even for setting up starbird slash on generics.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vader in a Defender....with optics as a pilot ability :xd:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Vader in a Defender....with optics as a pilot ability :xd:

Holy poo poo that’s gotta cost like 100 points right? Not having force for defense isn’t much of a weakness. He can just take focus evade, assuming he doesn’t simply arc dodge

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Now I can recreate the ending of TIE Fighter with Merek, Vader, and four randos in defenders.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that...Is that a fixed Lt. Lorrir I spy....

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Now I can recreate the ending of TIE Fighter with Merek, Vader, and four randos in defenders.

It does seem kinda rude to not give Maarek a Defender in the expansion.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

look at this loving thing

The homebrew is ok...until you get to disabling shot. And that loving condition

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bunnyofdoom posted:

look at this loving thing

The homebrew is ok...until you get to disabling shot. And that loving condition

For liability purposes, I would prefer the map to kill you. Also, I get no points until you do, so could you hurry this up?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Three articles in three days wtaf.

I lile the rebels and scum. Not sold on the imp one

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Since I don’t really get time to play I built a Display case for some of my ships

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

illectro posted:

Since I don’t really get time to play I built a Display case for some of my ships

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not sold on the imp one
The TIE-D configuration that eliminates everything unique about the ship struck me as very odd

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Why do you have so many Starvipers?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

illectro posted:

thats really cool

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's a really dope idea. Makes me want to get one of those bug casses and do something similar since I don't play as much anymore. I might as well throw some of my plastic into a fancy thing like that and hang em on a wall.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've wanted to try a new mode of XWing where the victory condition is destroying (200 or whatever) points' worth of opponents and players can respawn ships so there's stuff fighting and fighting and fighting all the time until someone collects the winning total. My first thought was this would be a great way to do 3 man+ XWing. Give each player control over exactly one ship, let that player deploy whatever for that one ship, and when he dies he can respawn as whatever he pleases. Ideally there'd be a tension between being the most pimped out super ace ship imaginable and putting a giant "I am worth a huge portion of your victory threshold" sign on your back.

I noticed this idea first in an old Gundam PS2 game, probably lots of video games have done it (like maybe so many it's laughable I don't know them but I don't play FPS which I imagine is most likely to have done this). I haven't thought this through much or ever tried it but I keep idly considering it. Maybe it could be applied to 1v1 games.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I like the idea that a ship that respawns is just a generic level ship with basic upgrades. If anything else, it’ll help force players to fly well and not just run.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

I've wanted to try a new mode of XWing where the victory condition is destroying (200 or whatever) points' worth of opponents and players can respawn ships so there's stuff fighting and fighting and fighting all the time until someone collects the winning total. My first thought was this would be a great way to do 3 man+ XWing. Give each player control over exactly one ship, let that player deploy whatever for that one ship, and when he dies he can respawn as whatever he pleases. Ideally there'd be a tension between being the most pimped out super ace ship imaginable and putting a giant "I am worth a huge portion of your victory threshold" sign on your back.

I noticed this idea first in an old Gundam PS2 game, probably lots of video games have done it (like maybe so many it's laughable I don't know them but I don't play FPS which I imagine is most likely to have done this). I haven't thought this through much or ever tried it but I keep idly considering it. Maybe it could be applied to 1v1 games.

There's a game mode that's basically this, called "Aces High"

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

AndyElusive posted:

That's a really dope idea. Makes me want to get one of those bug casses and do something similar since I don't play as much anymore. I might as well throw some of my plastic into a fancy thing like that and hang em on a wall.

There is a dude on FB in the BST group that is always buying up x-wing lots and always has tons of the common ships, I might try and do one of these if the price is right on the models

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Looks like there's a big global event coming up: Armada/Legion/X-wing with event-specific rules and list building

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/unconventional-warfare?fbclid=IwAR0nXJkKyNt8_awN_hukwW4SKiT57KiX2PEFVfu77VXUiQIBAz8bg9anA1g

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Looks like there's a big global event coming up: Armada/Legion/X-wing with event-specific rules and list building

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/unconventional-warfare?fbclid=IwAR0nXJkKyNt8_awN_hukwW4SKiT57KiX2PEFVfu77VXUiQIBAz8bg9anA1g

This will be great when I get vaccinated for spacepox.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1372635189889863686

New epic ship that looks pretty sweet. Guess seps and scum and inseperable in epic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1372635189889863686

New epic ship that looks pretty sweet. Guess seps and scum and inseperable in epic now.

I love this thing, I'm very excited for it. Especially with the AI deck!