Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Yeah it's funny that the reputation of Saturday Night Fever is "that light hearted romcom where Travolta dances", when it most certainly isn't.

But if something is light, it's the music. I love the strings on this song. It's like slowly sinking to a pool filled with marshmellows and candycone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy0rYUvn7To

Saturday Night Fever's soundtrack is legit awesome, even right down to Open Sesame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKzkYcgxsA

Night on Disco Mountain, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tbf the post did age well

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

My dude did you just reply to a post from 2017?
I'm reading the thread starting from the birth of MeToo/Weinstein down to now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

A common complaint I've seen about videogame voice acting recording is how they're just fed lines with no context, which I imagine was the problem there.

This is a big problem with stuff like Bethesda games where the VAs are literally given lines down a list, yeah. They spend a significant chunk of the game's budget on big names and then proceed to do the bare minimum with them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is a big problem with stuff like Bethesda games where the VAs are literally given lines down a list, yeah. They spend a significant chunk of the game's budget on big names and then proceed to do the bare minimum with them.

Oblivion’s script literally had all the lines in alphabetical order because someone didn’t think it through, I don’t think they’ve done that in any other game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I really liked the early 2nd season idea of the super-soldiers who didn't look human because it introduced a whole complex dynamic with friction between the ones who had visible animal traits and the beautiful perfect Aryan ubermensches we'd been watching for the first season.

Like the difference between the X-Men and the Morlocks.

Then they immediately dropped that whole plot point and I don't think we saw them ever again.
I don't know about the rest of them, but I think the dog-man was in pretty much every episode of season two?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's been 20 years, and I'm definitely willing to admit my memory of the show is hazy.

I really tuned out of the second season because it took all that I liked about the show - the interpersonal drama of Jessica Alba's character trying to adjust to an insane, broken world after spending her life being horribly abused in a military compound taught only how to fight and kill. All while looking for all her "brothers and sisters" in her squad who went to ground after they escaped - and replaced it with an overarching mystery which just wasn't that interesting.

In fact, after looking over the season 2 synopsis, the only episode I truly remember is episode 10, "Brainiac" where a transgenic who was designed to be a strategic and tactical genius gives his life so the other supersoldiers can live. And which is one of the most human episodes of the whole show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I really tuned out of the second season because it took all that I liked about the show - the interpersonal drama of Jessica Alba's character trying to adjust to an insane, broken world after spending her life being horribly abused in a military compound taught only how to fight and kill. All while looking for all her "brothers and sisters" in her squad who went to ground after they escaped - and replaced it with an overarching mystery which just wasn't that interesting.

Yeah, I don't remember the details, but I know I liked season one and not season two.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember liking season 2 because it had a lot more Jensen Ackles and back then that was all I needed.

The season 1 ep he was in about the kid who'd gone insane and started a private religion based on an image of the Virgin Mary was good as I recall.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I remember watching Dark Angel when it aired but as I sit here trying to recall literally anything about the show I realized that it had been entirely supplanted in my mind with that x-files spinoff, The Lone Gunmen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Things I remember from Dark Angel:
-Motorcycle
-TV Eyes Wheelchair Man
-Dogboy
-Barcode tattoos
-Standing on rooftops being sad

Good show

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dark Angel was the first time I realized that many shows set in the US that presented a rainy eternal autumn setting were actually filmed in Vancouver, as it looked basically identical to X-Files, and then I made the jump to realizing that must be the reason that show was set in Seattle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A common complaint I've seen about videogame voice acting recording is how they're just fed lines with no context, which I imagine was the problem there.

Very likely though sometimes life action actors just aren't very good at voice acting. It's a slightly different skill set.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Honestly airing Dark Angel and Angel around the same time is just asking for confusion.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oblivion’s script literally had all the lines in alphabetical order because someone didn’t think it through, I don’t think they’ve done that in any other game.

Except for Patrick Stewart who was given 90 pages of notes for guy that gets stabbed in the game's intro.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

flatluigi posted:

that movie's in one of the weird cultural situations where all the parodies are riffing off of people's concept of what the original is based on other people's parodies b/c the original just isn't good enough for people to have gone and seen that first

i've always wanted to see people try to reconstruct stuff out of references to it, like the simpsons or mst3k or even stuff like the animaniacs. trying to figure how much can you say about the shape of a work from the shadows it's casting on later media, except specificially just parodies and in-jokes

Few years ago my husband and I decided to sit down and watch all of the classic 80s/90s movies we'd never seen but knew the basic plots and lines to (Risky Business, Terminator, the original Tron, etc). With the exception of Raiders of the Lost Ark, it was wild just how different they all were from what we were expecting. Like even though I knew the characters and plot, the first Terminator was legitimately creepy, and the second one was badass.

Pookah posted:

I don't think I ever saw Dark Angel, but I did work on the spin off ps2 game, and Jessica Alba, hang your head in shame woman.

I know it was a poo poo, by the numbers, cash grab game, but her reading every. single. line. in exactly the same monotone just made the testing experience so much duller than it needed to be.

I was going to point out that her voice work was excellent on Bojack, then I realized that was Jessica Biel and I've been conflating them in my head for years.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
So uh...

https://twitter.com/bondnickbond/status/1361435834889637888?s=19

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I mean, I guess if you want to make drat sure people know you've got other things going on and aren't just dodging the question..?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
You'd think that people would get the idea at "spinal surgery".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Consider me shocked that David Boreanaz was actually the ok one out of all this because I thought he was fairly conservative. I guess not that it means anything, we all can be bad people but its refreshing? I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one response I'm not really looking forward to is Adam Baldwin's, but sometimes people can surprise you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I get that all the Buffy actors are probably getting their phones blown up but Brenden especially has made many statements in the past about how horrifically Whedon was to him, bullying him to the point he relapsed. He's probably got a ton to say on the matter and wants to be able to get it out all at once.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That is the most Bethesda thing ever, I really hope it’s true.

Now I don’t play a lot of recent games so I’m sure there are exceptions, but it strikes me as strange that video games have had detailed cut-scenes for over 25 years now, and even very recent games it never really seems like characters are talking to each other. Even in purely scripted scenes, the lines of dialogue always seem weirdly isolated from each other and out of context. I don’t understand why if this is not an issue in regular animation, why it’s so hard for games to do this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

letthereberock posted:

That is the most Bethesda thing ever, I really hope it’s true.

Now I don’t play a lot of recent games so I’m sure there are exceptions, but it strikes me as strange that video games have had detailed cut-scenes for over 25 years now, and even very recent games it never really seems like characters are talking to each other. Even in purely scripted scenes, the lines of dialogue always seem weirdly isolated from each other and out of context. I don’t understand why if this is not an issue in regular animation, why it’s so hard for games to do this.

making prerendered or smoothly animated in engine cutscenes takes more time than piecing them together with in game assets. like the difference between sculpting something out of wood vs creating a copy of that thing with legos. its always a tradeoff between cost and quality, and these time/budget constraints are the major limit on game design

the yakuza series typically has four tiers of cutscenes

-fully rendered and cinematic, used for important plot or story beats
-in engine and voiced, used for less important but still notable events
-in engine but not voiced, used for unimportant side content
-voiced or unvoiced still images, used stylistically

here is an example of a scene shifting from the second tier to the first, then to gameplay during a boss fight - an important and cinematic moment in the main plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DP_ci1aAM

then, a third tier cutscene spliced in with gameplay that's just some goofy small quest for laughs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCMEcAALyo

from a game design perspective, the big story beats are planned out early in the game's development, so that the rest of the game content can be steered and crafted to support these big moments. this gives you time and budget to work on big cutscenes that support and highlight the importance of these moments

for the smaller stuff, that could be made by a content creation time during gameplay and left delegated to teams outside of the main design team. since this content is less important, it wont get the same level of budget for voice acting, and has to be built using pre-made or slightly customized assets

a big AAA game will tend to have more pre-rendered or highly scripted cutscenes that flow more naturally, where a smaller or indie team won't have the time or budget to do anything much more than stilted, jerky conversations

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

That’s really interesting, thanks!

Going by that first example you posted, the first part, with the man and the woman talking, seems to have the issue I see over and over again. Just a little too much dead air and pause between each character’s dialogue. Like, I have a feeling if you closed your eyes and just listened to the audio, you would still know it was a video game cut scene just by those little extra pauses. In real life, people talk over each other, interrupt each other, match each other’s tone, etc. It just seems like this happens very much even in AAA titles.

For content - my kids are on a muppets kick lately, rewatching all of the films. One thing jumped out at me in The Muppets (2011) that i never thought about before. There is a scene where Jack Black takes a real, closed fist swing at Kristen Schaal. He misses, but it struck me (heh) as really gross to see a male character take a swing at a female character and it all be treated like a funny joke. I’m not even sure attitudes about violence towards women have changed that much in the past 10 years, but I don’t remember anyone noticing or commenting on that scene at the time.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

letthereberock posted:

That’s really interesting, thanks!

Going by that first example you posted, the first part, with the man and the woman talking, seems to have the issue I see over and over again. Just a little too much dead air and pause between each character’s dialogue. Like, I have a feeling if you closed your eyes and just listened to the audio, you would still know it was a video game cut scene just by those little extra pauses.

The man and the woman talking, the pauses are there mostly because that particular flavor of cutscene is set up to be advanced by the player. It's auto-advanced in that specific instance but generally the pauses are there mostly for the player to hit X to advance the dialogue. So it's not a great representation out of a game that's also not a great representation of 'realistic' dialogue because Yakuza is the most trope-y series about manly men being badasses, so even the proper cutscenes are riddled with tons of dramatic pause, etc.

quote:

In real life, people talk over each other, interrupt each other, match each other’s tone, etc. It just seems like this happens very much even in AAA titles.

But that's not something limited to videogames. That's something that's present in all media, because conversations that get interrupted or flow like a real conversation are hard to follow for the viewer, and when you get to altering voice inflections/tones/etc it gets harder to maintain consistency with a character's voice.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

letthereberock posted:

For content - my kids are on a muppets kick lately, rewatching all of the films. One thing jumped out at me in The Muppets (2011) that i never thought about before. There is a scene where Jack Black takes a real, closed fist swing at Kristen Schaal. He misses, but it struck me (heh) as really gross to see a male character take a swing at a female character and it all be treated like a funny joke. I’m not even sure attitudes about violence towards women have changed that much in the past 10 years, but I don’t remember anyone noticing or commenting on that scene at the time.

Even if he connected I doubt he would do much damage to a horse.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

-TV Eyes Wheelchair Man

Fun fact, this guy was Michael Weatherly, noted for NCIS and Bull.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Push El Burrito posted:

Even if he connected I doubt he would do much damage to a horse.

If you're calling Kristen Schaal a horse you better sleep with one eye open bird :gritty:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If you're calling Kristen Schaal a horse you better sleep with one eye open bird :gritty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvd6MBsiDBo

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

That's too much, man.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Charlie Sheen will keep on collecting residuals from that trainwreck (and two and half men) until the heat death of the sun and makes more money while taking a dump, than most of us make in a month.

Maybe so, but I bet I make more dumps.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mooseontheloose posted:

Consider me shocked that David Boreanaz was actually the ok one out of all this because I thought he was fairly conservative. I guess not that it means anything, we all can be bad people but its refreshing? I guess.

Boreanaz was/is a huge party person. Look up how he was involved in the Tiger Woods scandal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Also for sexually harassing Eliza Dushku so much that the network had to pay her $9 million in settlement.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Quark, a 1978 sci-fi comedy about a galactic garbage man named Adam Quark. He had a wacky crew including Gene/Jean, a "transmute". A humanoid who had both male & female chromosomes. The joke here being that he/she would switch gender usually at a bad plot-driven time.

Judge for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi2elQ1Ycno&t=678s

Not to worry, "Doc" would not last past the pilot.

Otherwise the show was pretty funny for its time parodying a lot of sci-fi classics.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Feb 17, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Also for sexually harassing Eliza Dushku so much that the network had to pay her $9 million in settlement.

Well yeah but he wasn't acting then.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

packetmantis posted:

Ahem, there will only ever be one Bull, and that is Richard Moll.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mister Kingdom posted:

Quark, a 1978 sci-fi comedy about a galactic garbage man named Adam Quark. He had a wacky crew including Gene/Jean, a "transmute". A humanoid who had both male & female chromosomes. The joke here being that he/she would switch gender usually at a bad plot-driven time.

"Transmute" is definitely the sort of pun that someone in the 70s would come up with and slap themselves on the back for being such a rare wit.

Good lord, that scene was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
My wife has been rewatching Gilmore Girls the last few weeks and being stuck at home I've absorbed most of it. It really feels of an America before 2007, where the lives of rich people were somehow considered positive. Even though the main characters aren't "rich" the show just loves sucking off the elite northeast old money families for some reason - the rich grandparents, private school, everything about Yale, etc. I think when the show came out it was supposed to be impressive or aspirational? Watching it today it just feels very out of touch.