Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Poil posted:

I kinda miss ghosts being immune to mundane weapons in Oblivion. They also looked waaaay cooler than the transparent regular bandits you see in Skyrim.

My biggest complaint with Skyrim is how boring the undead and daedra are. Ok sure whatever there's lore reasons, Oblivion got closed, all that stuff, but please don't get rid of my beloved crocodile men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Shoot those dragons from the sky Palpatine style - with endless lightning storm spell.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Dwesa posted:

Shoot those dragons from the sky Palpatine style - with endless lightning storm spell.

Is there a mod that adds a cackling noise when you shoot lightning?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

cargohills posted:

My biggest complaint with Skyrim is how boring the undead and daedra are. Ok sure whatever there's lore reasons, Oblivion got closed, all that stuff, but please don't get rid of my beloved crocodile men.
Conjure Daedroth is my favorite spell in Oblivion and probably all of Elderscrolls. It's bizarre how difficult it is to find a daedra you can rip the heart out of. You find more just randomly lying around on plates or shelves.

I got a mod which lets me conjure animals (Anna's Druid Conjuration), none of the perks work with them (except the dual casting) but they're still so much more fun and interesting to use than the atronachs. Nord with fur armor, a big axe and a summoned bear? Yes please. :black101:

John F Bennett posted:

Is there a mod that adds a cackling noise when you shoot lightning?
If there is I hope it adds Palpatine's evil laughter as well, possible during execution moves.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

morrowind "it looks like poo poo, the gameplay is awful, the soundtrack repeats itself over and over, the story is boring and terrible"

what???

i can see your point with all of that, even if i don't agree, until you get to the story part

are you seriously claiming that skyrim beats morrowind on the grounds of story?

i'm struggling just trying to wrap my head around the idea of morrowind having a "bad story" let alone a worse one than skyrim

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dwesa posted:

uh or just use Dragonrend?

I know "not doing the story" is legit, but you should always get Dragonrend

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I dont mind the battles being short, its that they aren't really a problem outside of when they refuse to land.

And this is still a problem in Fallout 76 with the Scorchbeasts. At least they no long fly backwards!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"it looks like poo poo, the gameplay is awful, the soundtrack repeats itself over and over, the story is boring and terrible"

These are all true of Skyrim as well

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

TES games are best played by making your own story. You know, roleplaying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

uh or just use Dragonrend?

I know "not doing the story" is legit, but you should always get Dragonrend
But getting Dragonrend is such a paaaaiiin.
All that endless time with the boring Greybeards and annoying Delphine and the sewerlevel sewers and brainless Sky Temple and the overly long Dwemer sewer for the scroll.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I tried turning off the music once in Morrowind (I know, forgive me) and it's funny how completely bare the soundscape is without it. It hides the lack of gentle ambient noise very well.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Poil posted:

Conjure Daedroth is my favorite spell in Oblivion and probably all of Elderscrolls. It's bizarre how difficult it is to find a daedra you can rip the heart out of. You find more just randomly lying around on plates or shelves.

I got a mod which lets me conjure animals (Anna's Druid Conjuration), none of the perks work with them (except the dual casting) but they're still so much more fun and interesting to use than the atronachs. Nord with fur armor, a big axe and a summoned bear? Yes please. :black101:

Its clanfears for me, they're just so drat cute, also they were a small enough summon cost that I could make constant effect summon rings for them in MW. If you're into animal summoning, someone in the MW thread made a summon mudcrab mod for me awhile back, I'll try and find the link in the thread if anyone is interested.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Its clanfears for me, they're just so drat cute, also they were a small enough summon cost that I could make constant effect summon rings for them in MW. If you're into animal summoning, someone in the MW thread made a summon mudcrab mod for me awhile back, I'll try and find the link in the thread if anyone is interested.
Personally I've been staggered by too many clanfears to like them. :v:

I've got a summon mudcrab mod in Skyrim, and another one which gives them little top hats and monocles. :3:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 16, 2021

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

John F Bennett posted:

TES games are best played by making your own story. You know, roleplaying.

This is what made it fun! I created a towering imperial with a set of morals but curious about magic with an undying sense of justice, no matter the consequences. Which meant never get arrested or is game over, never kill a civilian, any character exploiting the weak (like vampires) will die and stuff like that.

I never even joined the brotherhood because my character would never do that.

Now, the NEXT one? A charming kajit gentleman thief with a flexible moral code, so I'll do the brotherhood and guilds quests 100% in character.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

mulligan posted:

This is what made it fun! I created a towering imperial with a set of morals but curious about magic with an undying sense of justice, no matter the consequences. Which meant never get arrested or is game over, never kill a civilian, any character exploiting the weak (like vampires) will die and stuff like that.

Now, the NEXT one? A charming kajit gentleman thief with a flexible moral code, so I'll do the brotherhood and guilds quests 100% in character.

This is the most fun way to play TES games and I love seeing posts like yours that are playing it for the first time. I’m looking forward to your playthroughs of the brotherhood/thieves guild

That said I’m about to do the brotherhood for the first time since the game launched and it’s basically like doing it with fresh eyes. It’s gonna be fun

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

mulligan posted:

But did you wipe the Brotherhood out?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hi I was linked this thread in the general discussion thread. Sorry for the cross post.

I’m playing Skyrim for the first time. I’ve put a few hours in; my character is level 22.
If it matters I’m playing heavy armor one handed.

I have about 900 active quests so I started going through the old ones.

In the most recent one I’m doing I hit one of the minor bosses, a draugr that can shout. He’s guarding a weapon I need.
(It’s the quest “silenced tongues” if it matters)

I don’t mind the shout, I know the dungeons level up. The problem is that this guy keeps one shotting me with his arrow which hasn’t happened since I first started.

So my question is : is this normal or did the game glitch and load up a baddie that is 10x harder than he should be?

I think I’m just at normal difficulty if that matters.

Thanks

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Are you getting killcam'd by the boss? Because that's a known issue, the game doesn't factor in armor when it decides what would kill you in order to activate the killcams. You can use a mod to deactivate them, or limit them to enemies if you want to keep being able to do stylish kills yourself.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Commander Keene posted:

Are you getting killcam'd by the boss? Because that's a known issue, the game doesn't factor in armor when it decides what would kill you in order to activate the killcams. You can use a mod to deactivate them, or limit them to enemies if you want to keep being able to do stylish kills yourself.

Yeah. Xbox if that matters. The only mod I have on now is the one that makes all the dragons macho man.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My guess is it's a draugr boss with an ebony bow and good arrows. They deal a ton of damage. I think I know that one specific enemy and have died to it plenty.

Some kind of summon or shout at it yourself as a distraction to close into melee and hope it switches weapons maybe? How much health do you have?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Poil posted:

My guess is it's a draugr boss with an ebony bow and good arrows. They deal a ton of damage. I think I know that one specific enemy and have died to it plenty.

Some kind of summon or shout at it yourself as a distraction to close into melee and hope it switches weapons maybe? How much health do you have?

200 health. He does switch to an axe if I get close but he still whoops my rear end (not one shot though)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well you can always go do something else and come back when you are more powerful. I think the boss will remain at it's current level (unless the dungeon resets?).

Other than that conjuration magic and a companion of some kind to help distract it. Maybe chug a fortify health potion if it makes a difference. You could always try and sneak with a couple of invisibility potions too since I don't think you need to kill it (don't sneak while wearing any heavy armor). Etheral shout might be able to help you run away.

I think it's just poorly balanced. There are some other places like that.

Poil fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 17, 2021

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

But did you wipe the Brotherhood out?

Nope, I never went to their lair... Right now I just lightly patted Alduin in the head and now I have to broker peace between two sides of the same coin.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

200 health. He does switch to an axe if I get close but he still whoops my rear end (not one shot though)

Fus rodah his rear end, desperate blows, return, huff in potions while it recharges and rinse and repeat.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
People wildly overstate how much Skyrim scales to your level. That particular dungeon will always have a Deathlord that will always be a minimum of level 30. Just come back later.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

mulligan posted:

Nope, I never went to their lair... Right now I just lightly patted Alduin in the head and now I have to broker peace between two sides of the same coin.

If you do the Grelod the Kind killing quest, Astrid kidnaps you. instead of killing the victims she presents, you can attack her, kill her, and then get the "wipe the Brotherhood out" quest. It depends how much your character is so morally opposed to the brother hood that they'd risk death to destroy the worst people in Tamriel

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Poil posted:

But getting Dragonrend is such a paaaaiiin.
All that endless time with the boring Greybeards and annoying Delphine and the sewerlevel sewers and brainless Sky Temple and the overly long Dwemer sewer for the scroll.

Kill Paarthuumax. Listen to me.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

7c Nickel posted:

People wildly overstate how much Skyrim scales to your level. That particular dungeon will always have a Deathlord that will always be a minimum of level 30. Just come back later.

There's only like, one dungeon in the game that always scales perfectly to your level, right? And it's a main quest one iirc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you do the Grelod the Kind killing quest, Astrid kidnaps you. instead of killing the victims she presents, you can attack her, kill her, and then get the "wipe the Brotherhood out" quest. It depends how much your character is so morally opposed to the brother hood that they'd risk death to destroy the worst people in Tamriel

The dragonborn would risk death and imprisonment for a wheel of cheese

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You're constantly being distracted with complete nonsense and Skyrim in particular is obsessed with making sure nothing in the game is overly mundane. Join the dark brotherhood and you're the chosen one. Join the thieves guild and you're the chosen one.

See now this? This might actually be the thing I hate the most. All of the factions are just The Worst. Not just in story but in pacing. Every single one of them is in such a rush to make you feel like The Most Special even when it makes no sense. Every single one goes

"Hey go do this busywork"

"Kay"

"Oh you're back we've elected you God Emperor of the Cheese Guild"

"Thx"

Like holy poo poo make me work for *something*. I have done literally nothing magical to earn the right of Archmage, I found a stick and beat the poo poo out of an Elf.

If I had to name something that I actually really do love about the game it would be that it's very good for feeding into a sense of emergent storytelling. Like it's legit one of the best games I've played for just kind of accidentally building onto the character concept you started with. Like my Paladin that wore big shiny armor and used big shiny swords and was always trying way too hard to make up for the fact that her parents were Daedra worshippers and she's trying to escape their shadow. But...then I got the Masque of Clavicus Vile. Oh...it has a higher armor rating.

Well, I mean, I'm just wearing it for the armor, it doesn't mean anythin--IS THAT loving KEENING LITERALLY ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ARTIFACTS OF MY RACES ENTIRE HISTORY

And she very slowly began a descent into studying Daedra and Dwemer and slowly throwing away all the nice shiny armor she had and using equipment that was just more and more twisted.

anyway back to making a new pirate build using all this creation club stuff i spent actual money on for this game i can't stop bitching about and also have over a thousand hours on

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Flytrap posted:

See now this? This might actually be the thing I hate the most. All of the factions are just The Worst. Not just in story but in pacing. Every single one of them is in such a rush to make you feel like The Most Special even when it makes no sense. Every single one goes

"Hey go do this busywork"

"Kay"

"Oh you're back we've elected you God Emperor of the Cheese Guild"

"Thx"

Like holy poo poo make me work for *something*. I have done literally nothing magical to earn the right of Archmage, I found a stick and beat the poo poo out of an Elf.

If I had to name something that I actually really do love about the game it would be that it's very good for feeding into a sense of emergent storytelling. Like it's legit one of the best games I've played for just kind of accidentally building onto the character concept you started with. Like my Paladin that wore big shiny armor and used big shiny swords and was always trying way too hard to make up for the fact that her parents were Daedra worshippers and she's trying to escape their shadow. But...then I got the Masque of Clavicus Vile. Oh...it has a higher armor rating.

Well, I mean, I'm just wearing it for the armor, it doesn't mean anythin--IS THAT loving KEENING LITERALLY ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ARTIFACTS OF MY RACES ENTIRE HISTORY

And she very slowly began a descent into studying Daedra and Dwemer and slowly throwing away all the nice shiny armor she had and using equipment that was just more and more twisted.

anyway back to making a new pirate build using all this creation club stuff i spent actual money on for this game i can't stop bitching about and also have over a thousand hours on

hold on, keening is in this game?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

hold on, keening is in this game?

Yep. You have to finish the Mage Guild questline to fully do the quest. Arniel Gane will have a series of tasks for you to do that culminates with you finding the dagger.

It's also legitimately worthless without either the Unofficial Patch or a 100% Fortify Destruction setup because the charge on the weapon is broken. It has only one hit in it, and it can never be refilled. The patch fixes it and turns it into a usable weapon and apparently having max fortify prevents the charge from being used.

The Creation Club package that adds Wraithguard and Sunder also effects it, with the weapon being more powerful if you've got Wraithguard equipped.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Yep. You have to finish the Mage Guild questline to fully do the quest. Arniel Gane will have a series of tasks for you to do that culminates with you finding the dagger.

It's also legitimately worthless without either the Unofficial Patch or a 100% Fortify Destruction setup because the charge on the weapon is broken. It has only one hit in it, and it can never be refilled. The patch fixes it and turns it into a usable weapon and apparently having max fortify prevents the charge from being used.

The Creation Club package that adds Wraithguard and Sunder also effects it, with the weapon being more powerful if you've got Wraithguard equipped.

I assumed it was like that because it has lost most of its power in the intervening years, although it just being bugged makes way more sense given who made the game

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Poil posted:

You called it exactly. Ebony bows and arrows
Now I have a sweet rear end bow but the main baddie is kind of kicking my rear end too so I’ll probably hold off until I’m a little higher.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts on Oblivion's map so far:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Scary Owl posted:

Hey now, there are probably at least 20 identical looking caves full of scamps on that map, each with a locked chest at the end that contains 1 lockpick.

The music is good at least.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
not true, it will also have calipers

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

not to worry, just install 300 mods and you'll get a real game

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What if I continue the quest and as soon as I get to their hideout I take them all out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mulligan posted:

What if I continue the quest and as soon as I get to their hideout I take them all out?

They're probably protected status until it's time for them to die.