Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wolfs posted:

what does the highest air pressure ever mean for Mongolia

https://twitter.com/mikeadcockwx/status/1343688151638945793?s=21

Means that they're under pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it means they have lovely hurricanes there

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

wolfs posted:

Sea level rise pushes air up, so ceterus parabus I'd guess that they're the closest that they've ever been to sea level in recorded history.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

The simple explanation is given in 1st year chem:
PV = nRT
T goes up, and more evaporation makes n go up
n and T go up, product of P and V goes up
V can only go up by expanding the atmosphere away from the surface which requires P to go up
therefore P goes up
bonus question: deltaP drives weather and everything gets worse

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

wolfs posted:

It means you make throat singing sounds even when you're not trying

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

emf posted:

The simple explanation is given in 1st year chem:
PV = nRT
T goes up, and more evaporation makes n go up
n and T go up, product of P and V goes up
V can only go up by expanding the atmosphere away from the surface which requires P to go up
therefore P goes up
bonus question: deltaP drives weather and everything gets worse

what happens when you invoke "P"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

what happens when you invoke "P"

Inside the Gom Jabbar is the next 30 years of humanity.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

U.S. Energy Crisis Deepens With At Least 4 Million in the Dark

Blackouts are hitting states from North Dakota to Oklahoma

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

ted hitler hunter posted:

Wisconsinites stop wearing shorts

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ted hitler hunter posted:

Only to Oklahoma? My power was out from 2am to 4pm in Houston and lots of people are still in the dark

Apparently the nearest power plant wasn’t built to withstand temps this cold and their pipes have been bursting and poo poo lmao

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Florida :cool:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

florida in the summer:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

I'm in a lavender zone. ...this is fine.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
this is some weak rear end poo poo, I loving walked to elementary school in Winnipeg when it was loving -20C, only time we got snow day was when the drifting snow was 12 feet high and snowed everyone literally in their homes. My dad threw my 9 year old rear end out the kitchen window to help dig the front door clear.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Koirhor posted:

this is some weak rear end poo poo, I loving walked to elementary school in Winnipeg when it was loving -20C, only time we got snow day was when the drifting snow was 12 feet high and snowed everyone literally in their homes. My dad threw my 9 year old rear end out the kitchen window to help dig the front door clear.

ok boomer

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Koirhor posted:

not everywhere is a frozen hellhole for 10 months out of the year sorry you chose to live in a bad climate

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koirhor posted:

Did you also walk to school uphill, both ways?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Koirhor posted:

lemme guess, thanks to how the city snowplowed the roads you were also walking uphill both ways

e;f;b

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1361412532351750145?s=20

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hot on the outside, icicle in the middle

TWO MINUTES

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

no ring

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Texan tundra and snow in Athens. Bit of a slow start to the year, but it's picking up!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man I bet all the companies that moved their operations down to Texas are loving this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GLOBAL WARMING MY rear end - also a thing boomer say.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

this is completely nuking my work schedule and is going to be a very stressful following few weeks but on the bright side i've been able to play 50 hours of valheim since friday afternoon

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

tater_salad posted:

GLOBAL WARMING MY rear end - also a thing boomer say.

"why do i have to take science class? it's not like i'll ever use it"

*drives planet off cliff and into shredder*

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

the portion of people who will forever think this was a special super magical cold that froze all the natural gas and diesel fuel can't prevent that from happening! will be approximately 90%

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

this is completely nuking my work schedule and is going to be a very stressful following few weeks but on the bright side i've been able to play 50 hours of valheim since friday afternoon

LOL i've been work from home for 11 months now, if I can play videogames I can log into work so snowstorms or no snowstorms I'm still logging on. Also I live in the northeast and while I got like 9 inches of snow overnight we're prepared for it so we're not dying without power etc.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lvoe to have -15 wind chills and 2 feet of snow drifts in Southern Illinois

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

the portion of people who will forever think this was a special super magical cold that froze all the natural gas and diesel fuel can't prevent that from happening! will be approximately 90%

All of us youngsters must be so happy about getting all of these one in a lifetime weather events out of the way so quickly, the rest of the century's forecast is looking so delightfully placid.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Complications posted:

All of us youngsters must be so happy about getting all of these one in a lifetime weather events out of the way so quickly, the rest of the century's forecast is looking so delightfully placid.

if it's anything like hurricanes and flooding, we'll be finding ourselves in situations where we're hearing about a 1 in 500 year event happening in 4 of the last 5 years

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol in KC we had like 3 100 year storms in 3 consecutive months

it owned when the sewer line backed up with rain water into my only bathroom

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

amazing how the southern Oregon and northern Californian coast is always between 40-70 degrees, no matter what else is happening in the world

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

amazing how the southern Oregon and northern Californian coast is always between 40-70 degrees, no matter what else is happening in the world

and on fire for 2 months out of the year

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

it’ll be great when the west coast is wiped out by an actual once in 500 years tsunami

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1361727461940101121?s=19

does this count as weather

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/how-climate-works/how-volcanoes-influence-climate
Absolutely

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Christ, I can imagine all the Karens in Sigonella right now having a loving normal one over this.

"WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE, IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE LIKE VESUVIUS AND WE'RE GONNA BE ASHED LIKE POMPEII"

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

sorry only if it's VEI 5 or more