Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I have been kinda drained so I haven't wanted to play the adventure/puzzle games I have. Can people suggest any games that are:
  • On Steam or Humble (no Epic account)
  • Chill but not brainless or choice-less (not a visual novel with no interaction, but certain 'walking simulators' might be okay)
  • Unlikely to induce motion sickness (not first person / twitchy)
  • Controller support would be nice, but not a deal breaker (I want to recline while playing instead of sitting at my keyboard)
I just played Donut County which was essentially what I was looking for (except the controller support felt like a loving Wii port). Sadly, it lasted less than 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Life is Strange
Return to Obra Din (first person but doesn't induce motion sickness)
The Witness (first person but super chill)
Gorogoa
Zero Escape games (999 and VLR)
Untitled Goose Game
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

e: Abzu and Journey are super chill but there isn't really much puzzle/choice. It's more exploration, but very enjoyable

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 12, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What Remains of Edith Finch
Magical Diary Horse Hall (sequel just came out Wolf Hall)
Kentucky Route 0
Most Telltale Adventure games
- The Walking Dead
- Wolf Among Us
- Tales from the Borderlands
Oxenfree

These are all mostly walking simulators/simple choice adventure games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks to you both. I added Oxenfree, The Witness and Kentucky Route 0 to my wishlist. I have access to Edith Finch already by sharing my girlfriend's steam games, so I guess I'll try that too.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Return to Obra Din (first person but doesn't induce motion sickness)

You'd be surprised. Moving through the port and starboard walks absolutely knocked me on my rear end, but yeah, otherwise it was fine. Also, every human being should play The Return of the Obra Dinn; it's loving fantastic.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thinking I could use a post-apocalyptic sorta looter style game (preferably 1st/3rd person and not iso but I'm open). Something in the vein of Metro/Fallout/Horizon/Tomb Raider to some degree where I am picking through the remnants of a fallen civilization. All the better if I'm harvesting it for resources to survive.

Thinking of maybe Dying Light or State of Decay 2 which looks more appealing than the last time I checked it but anything along these lines.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Thinking I could use a post-apocalyptic sorta looter style game (preferably 1st/3rd person and not iso but I'm open). Something in the vein of Metro/Fallout/Horizon/Tomb Raider to some degree where I am picking through the remnants of a fallen civilization. All the better if I'm harvesting it for resources to survive.

Thinking of maybe Dying Light or State of Decay 2 which looks more appealing than the last time I checked it but anything along these lines.
You're probably going to roll your eyes at the suggestion, because early access zombie crafting survival game, but possibly 7 Days to Die? One of the recent updates even changed it so that most of the buildings you're looting are laid out kind of like mini dungeons, which keeps it from feeling like the same monotonous search over and over again.

And don't worry if you don't like runner zombies, there's an option to make them always walk (except the dogs and vultures, but y'know). Makes for a great chill experience.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Magnetic North posted:

I have been kinda drained so I haven't wanted to play the adventure/puzzle games I have. Can people suggest any games that are:
  • On Steam or Humble (no Epic account)
  • Chill but not brainless or choice-less (not a visual novel with no interaction, but certain 'walking simulators' might be okay)
  • Unlikely to induce motion sickness (not first person / twitchy)
  • Controller support would be nice, but not a deal breaker (I want to recline while playing instead of sitting at my keyboard)
I just played Donut County which was essentially what I was looking for (except the controller support felt like a loving Wii port). Sadly, it lasted less than 2 hours.

Astrox Imperium is my somnolent space game of choice for podcast listening and alt-tabbing. I'm not sure if anything I do in it is meaningful at all, but there's a general sense of progress with no urgency whatever. Sorta like an MMO that way.
Endless Express possibly, I think it's on itch.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

doctorfrog posted:

Astrox Imperium is my somnolent space game of choice for podcast listening and alt-tabbing. I'm not sure if anything I do in it is meaningful at all, but there's a general sense of progress with no urgency whatever. Sorta like an MMO that way.
Endless Express possibly, I think it's on itch.

I havent played this since he was selling it for $5.
How is it now?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

State of Decay 2 is a great game, and might be the best choice if you don't want anything too hardcore.

However, what you should really play is S.T.A.L.K.E.R with the Anamoly mod installed. It's the very peak of what you are looking for if you are up to the challenge
(https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly it is a stand-alone file and doesn't require the base game or anything else to play. Just download it and check it out)
(if you are brand new to STALKER games, then this PDF will help you get started https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/463899023913254952/805248795637317652/Anomaly_First_Steps.pdf)

Jesustheastronaut! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 13, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

OgNar posted:

I havent played this since he was selling it for $5.
How is it now?

'bout the same. He's adding things slowly here and there. I get the sense that a move + COVID have slowed him down a bit in the last year. Most recent things I think are spontaneous wormholes and the ability to build certain kinds of stations.
I mean, just listen to this changelog and drift off to sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTAzeB6IgGc

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Looking for open world games, maybe sandbox-y, the more open the better, lots and lots of stuff to do, I like to find games I can play into the ground. Genre isn't that important if the game is good but I would prefer stuff that's non-military or at least my character isn't in the military.

Hopefully old enough that the price has fallen, but not so old that it came from the Texture Graveyard where the ground/dirt looks like bad tie dye (like Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas, which I bought and never got into because my god they're ugly.) I'd rather play a 2D game than try to like a smudge texture nightmare.

I haven't played a lot of games throughout my life, so nearly everything is new to me. The games I have played into the ground are Sims 2 (hush, I had fun packing it with mods until everything broke then doing it again), Skyrim, Don't Starve, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 1 and 2 and ... that's about it. Yeah, I suck.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Filox posted:

Looking for open world games, maybe sandbox-y, the more open the better, lots and lots of stuff to do, I like to find games I can play into the ground. Genre isn't that important if the game is good but I would prefer stuff that's non-military or at least my character isn't in the military.

Hopefully old enough that the price has fallen, but not so old that it came from the Texture Graveyard where the ground/dirt looks like bad tie dye (like Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas, which I bought and never got into because my god they're ugly.) I'd rather play a 2D game than try to like a smudge texture nightmare.

I haven't played a lot of games throughout my life, so nearly everything is new to me. The games I have played into the ground are Sims 2 (hush, I had fun packing it with mods until everything broke then doing it again), Skyrim, Don't Starve, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 1 and 2 and ... that's about it. Yeah, I suck.

Assassin's Creed Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla are all what you want. Valhalla is newer and full price still. Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is basically a single player MMORPG with poo poo loads of content.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Filox posted:

Look into Just Cause (forgot which ones are good and which ones are considered to be the bad ones but goons will help you out); you're kinda military but it's more like a hollywood James Bond paramilitary secret agent deal.

If you can deal with dnd 2e jank, the Baldur's Gate I and II enhanced editions are as good as any to dive into.

Consider looking into Borderlands; the complete edition of borderlands 2 (maybe also 3?) can be cheap. The humor and story sucks but they're fun shooters and open world.

Crusader Kings II for a very different kind of open world sandbox (like violent medieval the sims meets grand strategy games)

Mount and blade: bannerlord (early access but packed with content)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Filox posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn!

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Goon input on the Just Cause games? If I buy, I don't want to find I've picked a stinker.

But thanks, wow, I'm wanting to go broke buying poo poo.

Edit: Better question, since all these look pretty cool, which of these recs have the best story lines? Great big games are good, big games with compelling stories are even better.

Filox fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 16, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Filox posted:

Goon input on the Just Cause games? If I buy, I don't want to find I've picked a stinker.
Just Cause 2 is a classic, and has some very fun mods and a cheat engine.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Filox posted:

Witcher 3? It's dirt cheap these days

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I also somehow forgot to recommend Saints Row. They started as GTA clones but wackier, and kind of grew into pop culture jokes and a parody of popular games by SR4.

Saints Row 2 is a classic but kinda finnicky to get working on modern systems, Saints Row 3 is a sort of reboot, Saints Row 4 is straight up a superhero game that barely has any connection to the previous games. Any of them are a good point to jump in depending on what you like. 2 probably has the best story, 4 probably has the best gameplay and was in my humble opinion the funniest game, 3 kinda depends how much you like swing-and-a-miss sex jokes but I found it pretty enjoyable and it was my first Saints Row game.

Baldur's Gate (less so I, especially II) is considered to have a good story with strong characters.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

I also somehow forgot to recommend Saints Row. They started as GTA clones but wackier, and kind of grew into pop culture jokes and a parody of popular games by SR4.

Saints Row 2 is a classic but kinda finnicky to get working on modern systems, Saints Row 3 is a sort of reboot, Saints Row 4 is straight up a superhero game that barely has any connection to the previous games. Any of them are a good point to jump in depending on what you like. 2 probably has the best story, 4 probably has the best gameplay and was in my humble opinion the funniest game, 3 kinda depends how much you like swing-and-a-miss sex jokes but I found it pretty enjoyable and it was my first Saints Row game.

Baldur's Gate (less so I, especially II) is considered to have a good story with strong characters.

quote:

The US President must save the Earth from alien overlord Zinyak using superpowers and strange weapons in the wildest open world game ever.

I may be sold.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Probably not a deal breaker but part of the fun in Saints Row 4 are the references to other video games, so if you aren't a huge nerd like the SR4 fanbase you might miss a lot of references. Not sure if that improves or dampens the experience, sounds like it might be a wild romp even if you have no idea what it's referencing.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Probably not a deal breaker but part of the fun in Saints Row 4 are the references to other video games, so if you aren't a huge nerd like the SR4 fanbase you might miss a lot of references. Not sure if that improves or dampens the experience, sounds like it might be a wild romp even if you have no idea what it's referencing.

Even if I don't get all the references, I can still enjoy over-the-top and ridiculous. The vid I watched on Steam had the POTUS in a pod and then fighting nekkid, so it looks fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Filox posted:

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Filox posted:

But thanks, wow, I'm wanting to go broke buying poo poo.

Edit: Better question, since all these look pretty cool, which of these recs have the best story lines? Great big games are good, big games with compelling stories are even better.

Just Cause 2 is the best and it's old enough it must be quite cheap now. All of the JC games have story lines that are absolutely terrible, b-movie schlock, the fun is more about creating your own goals from stuff like trying to figure out what's the most helicopters that you can make blow up all at once. I do think it's worth modding JC 2 so that all the vehicle and weapon deliveries are free, it's a simple mod and it's fun being able to spawn a tank or a rocket launcher whenever you want. Difficulty balance of the game isn't really the point and it won't disrupt that.

Saints Row 4 is excellent, I think it's better than any of the GTAs.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a good noir style adventure that isn't Grim Fandango or Disco Elysium.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for a good noir style adventure that isn't Grim Fandango or Disco Elysium.

Blade Runner

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Boz0r posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/680380/Night_Call/ ?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Boz0r posted:

Unavowed is sort of modern noir-ish? It's pretty good. Excellent production, interesting world and story.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Boz0r posted:

This is supposed to come out Q1 2021

https://store.steampowered.com/app/735290/Genesis_Noir/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The older LA Noir is pretty good.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Asking for a friend who is going batty at home.
Looking for a Battleship type game or even something similar she can play with a friend who is also homebound.
Steam actually has one that I linked her, but after reading the reviews more intensely, it turns out their 'online pvp' is now just bots.
If other suggestions nothing too difficult, I think Carcassonne may even be too much.

Right now they actually play Battleship on pen and paper over the phone.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Online 1v1 Battleship for Android phones

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 18, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Wrong link, I assume?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shine posted:

Wrong link, I assume?

Ayup, fixed

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sadly its multiplayer tag is a lie.
"Play with 2 Players in Local Multiplayer & v/s Computer."
Its reviews have people bitching about it also.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OgNar posted:

Asking for a friend who is going batty at home.
Looking for a Battleship type game or even something similar she can play with a friend who is also homebound.
Steam actually has one that I linked her, but after reading the reviews more intensely, it turns out their 'online pvp' is now just bots.
If other suggestions nothing too difficult, I think Carcassonne may even be too much.

Right now they actually play Battleship on pen and paper over the phone.
https://en.boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=battleship

They also have a bunch of standard card games etc.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Splicer posted:

https://en.boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=battleship

They also have a bunch of standard card games etc.

Sweet, I think that might be the best option, Thanks.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Boz0r posted:

If you are ok with lighthearted/fantasy noir rather than gritty realism then Emerald City Confidential (for a psuedo-noir adventure in the Emerald City from Wizard of Oz) or Discworld Noir (exactly what it sounds like).

Or if you're ok with incredibly janky dated gameplay then any of the Tex Murphy games which are great adventures that do a perfect pastiche of noir tropes in a sci-fi setting.

Otherwise the stuff others have said, esp LA Noire. It got a lot of flak at/since release, but it is note perfect for playing your way through what is basically a James Ellroy story.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 21, 2021

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Boz0r posted:

Policenauts is an excellent noir style adventure game, you can emulate the game and use the translation patch here http://policenauts.net/english/. Very much worth checking out, it nails the noir style with the cop partners, the music, the mystery, all of it.

ehhhh its a stretch but check out Curse of the Obra Dinn? It's really more of a straight up investigation than adventure.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 22, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

John Murdoch posted:

Opus Magnum, hands down. Best presentation, a somewhat more gentle difficulty curve, and the gifs of your machines always come out looking mesmerising. I also thought the particular things you're graded on offered the most fun to chase after when it came to alternate solutions.

Opus Magnum is so beautiful, and so well-thought-out; even the clicks are satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm back with another bizarre request. Going all the way back to Super Mario Sunshine at the very least, something that I find tickles my brain is cleaning up goop. Unfortunately, SMS is about cleaning up goop for like 5% of its total gameplay. The next closest thing I can think of is Zerg creep (though I've never played Starcraft, just Zagara in Heroes of the Storm who uses that mechanic) where it's oddly satisfying to either paint the map purple or slowly un-paint it purple. Basically, abstract territory control. Are there any games out there that might scratch this highly specific itch?

What I'm not looking for:
- Checking off points of interest in an open world game or any other general open world OCD checklist kind of thing.
- Games about cleaning up in general. IE, House Flipper has the cleaning aspect but it's not in the form of one big omni-blob of mess.
- Despite the thematic similarity, not any kind of map-painting grand strategy game.

The Creeper World games are an obvious answer, but I'm hoping for something a little more casual. See also: They Are Billions and Infested Planet. Honestly coloring games may do, but ideally I'd want something with a bit of gameplay, whatever that ultimately entails. I don't think the De Blob games are quite what I'm looking for, but I don't know a lot about them either.

Though contrary to the above maybe the answer is The Saboteur with its re-colorfying France motif....