Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aurora posted:

is yashahime bad

It's the rare sequel that retroactively ruins the original by telling you that that little girl that Sesshomaru adopts as a daughter figure who helps him learn to appreciate humans?

He fucks her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the rare sequel that retroactively ruins the original by telling you that that little girl that Sesshomaru adopts as a daughter figure who helps him learn to appreciate humans?

He fucks her.
frankly i could have seen that coming just from inuyasha. its a 90s shoujo where a younger girl looks longingly at a dangerous rival dude with long hair and shes the one person he cares about. it's not exactly a surprise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

okay but what about the content of the anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

okay but what about the content of the anime
its basically the exact same level of quality as any random stretch of filler in the original inuyasha

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dangerous Person posted:

This was the one I was gonna name. I can still remember when the credits rolled on the last episode and it dawned on me that I completely wasted my time on that show

It just floors me how the creators of the original e7 seem to think the core of the story was something wildly different from what everyone who liked it found interesting, and literally every attempt they've made to return to the setting has just been progressively louder and more upset insistence that the fans were liking the show wrong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the anemone movie was alright

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Aurora posted:

is yashahime bad

It's very bad, and that's not including the child grooming and Rin's VA apparently being directed to talk like she was still a child. Here's my rant on it from the Yashahime thread a few weeks back on why it's so bad

Willo567 posted:

The show is primarily focused on Towa and Setsuna, yet as characters, they really aren't engaging at all. A lot of Towa's character revolves around her deep love for Setsuna, but it's starting to get to the point where it seems like a really unhealthy obsession with her, especially since she hadn't seen her sister for over ten years. The show also wants us to believe that Towa is a very kind and generous person, yet she treats Moroha like crap most of the time, and constantly yells at her for extremely minor things. Setsuna is perhaps the worst, as so far, she has literally no goals, and she is basically female Sesshomaru, personality wise.

Speaking of Setsuna, them chasing the Dream Butterfly is perhaps the least engaging plot I've seen in an anime. For most of the show, the girls have been screwing around not actually looking for it, and when Towa gets a hint in episode 8, she doesn't even bother to investigate it. Instead, it's just the trio helping out random villagers and taking bounties, making the show feel endless. Plus, I don't even get WHY Setsuna would want the ability to sleep again, as not only does it keep her alert, but it also allows her to bypass the New Moon, and let her keep her powers. Plus, like I mentioned, Setsuna probably wouldn't have many memories of Towa even if they weren't stolen by the butterfly.

Finally, there's Moroha. Out of the trio, she's probably the best, as she has an actual goal that she's actively pursuing (get money to pay off the debt), and has the most sympathetic background of the trio (growing up alone without friends). She also has the most fun personality of them all, and is the most consistent as well. Despite this, the show seems hell bent on making GBS threads on her at every turn, whether it be her getting her rear end kicked in fights while her cousins succeed because she's only 1/4 demon (despite one of the themes of the original show being that just because you''re not 100% human/yokai doesn't make you inferior to either), having her bounty taken because the body keeps getting destroyed, or her cousins being pieces of poo poo (Towa and Setsuna leaving Moroha behind when she asked them to wait a minute, or Towa planning to steal Moroha's bounty). Moroha was actually the reason I was most excited about Yashahime, so to see her treated this way really upset me.

And don't get me started on all the other characters. Despite being hyped up before the show, Kohaku and Hisui are literal props, and they haven't done poo poo in the show - I don't even know what Hisui's personality is really like, other than he had daddy issues. Takechiyo is in a lot of the episodes, but he's a useless piece of poo poo who abuses the everloving gently caress out of Moroha. And I don't even know what the gently caress is up with Riku - he keeps switching back and forth between being helpful to the girls and plotting against them that I have no idea if he's evil or not

In addition, the show, prior to its premiere and during it, seemed to hype the hell out of certain plot elements of the show, such as Moroha's Beniyasha mode, where all of the old cast went, who the mother of the twins are, and so on. Despite this, every single time the show gets to the supposed hype moment, it's ALWAYS a wet fart. Oh look, Moroha is going to use Beniyasha mode... wait, it just last a minute, and then she falls asleep, because we can't have her one upping Towa or Setsuna! Look, an old character is going to appear next episode... for a five second moment before being put back to the sidelines, and not give ANY hints as to what's going on. Wow, I wonder who the mother of Towa and Setsuna is, it couldn't possibly be the character whose VA had a stream with the VA of Sesshomaruno sir!

Finally, I want to get to my biggest complaint - Sesshomaru is a spotlight whore. I get that Sesshomaru was more popular than Inuyasha was in the original show, but this sequel seems to paint him as literally perfect. Characters are constantly talking about what an amazing Yokai he is, and how perfect his children are too. He's portrayed as being this genius that's so loving and caring that he takes his newborn daughters from his wife without saying a word on WHY he's doing it, sealed his brother and sister-in-law inside a pearl to protect them and separated their daughter from them, all because of Kirinmaru, despite the fact that Sesshomaru could easily just kill the fucker with Bakusaiga, and avoid ruining everyones lives. Plus, why couldn't he tell anyone what Kirinmaru and Zero were planning.

I'm considering the sequel non-canonical and Moroha the only thing canon and good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also the show is really boring.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yes, it's an Inuyasha sequel

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

God the ending to the first cour of Wixoss Selector is still one of the best fake outs eve4

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

Masters Of The Martial Hearts for me

Lol that one was definitely an eyebrow raiser.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Plutonis posted:

Yes, it's an Inuyasha sequel

Look, I'm not saying Inuyasha was perfect or a masterpiece, but I liked it for what it was.

Yashahime is way worse than the original ever was. I feel really bad for the fans who were looking forward to it

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 16, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I heard Dragon Maid was getting a season two this year, so I decide to finally sit down to binge season one.

It is super cute and has the legendary KyoAni charm. But, I could super do without the Lucoa "sub-plot." Did they really have to name the kid Shouta, too? :negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
welcome to a cool manga. frankly the luccoa jokes are nowhere near as bad as the valentine's day gag in the ova, and i don't mean that as a defense

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Colonel posted:

welcome to a cool manga. frankly the luccoa jokes are nowhere near as bad as the valentine's day gag in the ova, and i don't mean that as a defense

Yeah, that wasn't great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cool is uhh.. well...... I'd probably like Dragon Maid if not for him.

Endorph posted:

its basically the exact same level of quality as any random stretch of filler in the original inuyasha

Ouch.

Well at least Yashahime herself has a real good design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was funny when s1 aired and people were freaking out about the short girl with big tits in s2 and wondering if kyoani would cut her. like dog they kept in the lucoa thing.

incidentally its very funny contrasting the two main dragon subplots in maidragon s1 because the fafnir bit is legitimately cute and charming while the lucoa thing, even besides being gross, is just a one-note joke with no actual dynamic to it. like itd be lame even if shouta was in his 20s.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fangz posted:

It's kinda blah.

Unrelatedly, suppose I want to release a scanlation. How do I do it, these days?

Endorph posted:

post it on various manga sharing sites

Actually you just post it on mangadex and every other site will automatically steal it. Much more time efficient.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/somebypaths/status/1361511004027445253?s=20

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

it was funny when s1 aired and people were freaking out about the short girl with big tits in s2 and wondering if kyoani would cut her. like dog they kept in the lucoa thing.

incidentally its very funny contrasting the two main dragon subplots in maidragon s1 because the fafnir bit is legitimately cute and charming while the lucoa thing, even besides being gross, is just a one-note joke with no actual dynamic to it. like itd be lame even if shouta was in his 20s.
Also Fafnir's initial frustration with Dark Souls is very, very relatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTVjrdX-j4M

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

Hell, they kept in Kanna's friend who was super horned up for her as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hot take: maidragon is good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The dragons are good, yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragon Maid was obviously popular esp. as a notable KyoAni project and a part of me gets trying to ignore/compartmentalize it but you really don't need to dig more than a millimeter below the surface on the works of Cool to realize what they're into and how that would almost certainly bleed into their most popular thing at times.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Truga posted:

hot take: maidragon is good

Hot take: it was okay. I don’t regret watching it, but I won’t watch the second season.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wark Say posted:

That kinda owns that they got a 3D studio or whatever to make a blatant Dark Souls ripoff for that one gag, ngl.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there are currently 3 coolkyou anime scheduled for summer season. the summer of cool approaches

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

It took me four posts to realize that was a pseudonym for the mangaka.

The worst part is I actually like Luccoa as a character. She's a pretty good straightman for Kobayashi to bounce real-world talk off of. I could live with her gag just showing up at public events in skimpy outfits only for a worker/volunteer to cart her off to change. That shits hilarious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

Pause button............

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Have I bitched about how bloated and awkward anime titles are getting recently?

gently caress it I'm doing it again.

Also the Terrible Writing Advice guy kind of nailed what was bugging me about Isekai shows a while back and the timing on the release is so close to our discussion that I'm now convinced that they're a secret goon. I'm on to you secret goon! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbRxeJXpNOE

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Fafnir is a NEAT: Not in Eating (mortals) or Acquiring Treasure :newlol:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

readingatwork posted:

Have I bitched about how bloated and awkward anime titles are getting recently?

gently caress it I'm doing it again.

Also the Terrible Writing Advice guy kind of nailed what was bugging me about Isekai shows a while back and the timing on the release is so close to our discussion that I'm now convinced that they're a secret goon. I'm on to you secret goon! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbRxeJXpNOE

Any reason to post this video. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQCX6tIzC4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am begging light novel authors to think about fantasy narratives in any other context than a video game

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I am begging light novel authors to think about fantasy narratives in any other context than a video game

Thats like asking goons to go outside

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I am begging goons to spend more time reading and discussing works they like, and less time reading and discussing works they hate

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I am begging light novel authors to think about fantasy narratives in any other context than a video game lewdness

There's something deeply disturbing that can be read from the popularity of an entire genre (that's still growing) centred around getting a new start as a successful person that can literally shape their destiny, either through death due to freak accident, or suicide.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 16, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

There's something deeply disturbing that can be read from the popularity of an entire genre (that's still growing) centred around getting a new start as a successful person that can literally shape their destiny, either through death due to freak accident, or suicide.

it's that capitalism sucks and seems insurmountable op

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

it's that capitalism sucks and seems insurmountable op

:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah isekai is bad but idk why people are acting like the problem with a genre where people get to feel like they have some actual power and freedom in their lives, is the people who wish they had that, and not the fact that their real life denies them that