Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

No photo but my neighborhood was wired last summer for gigabit fiber internet from a local provider. I had Xfinity gigabit for a few years (not fiber) but with the data caps coming I was fortunate enough to have another option to switch. The most satisfying cancelation phone call I've ever made.

I also bought a Wifi6 router and in addition to basically the full 1000/1000 I'm getting roughly 450down/500up on wifi. Insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

I also bought a Wifi6 router and in addition to basically the full 1000/1000 I'm getting roughly 450down/500up on wifi. Insanity.

The loss between WiFi and hardware is so high, even though you have what I assume is a high end router/hub?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Tim Whatley posted:

No photo but my neighborhood was wired last summer for gigabit fiber internet from a local provider. I had Xfinity gigabit for a few years (not fiber) but with the data caps coming I was fortunate enough to have another option to switch. The most satisfying cancelation phone call I've ever made.

Oh yeah, signed up for AT&T fiber at the new house. It's so nice.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

obi_ant posted:

The loss between WiFi and hardware is so high, even though you have what I assume is a high end router/hub?
Yeah. I thiiiiink wifi usually tops out at 300ish??? but maybe between Fiber and this Wifi6 router it's getting closer. My old router and Comcast Gigabit my wifi was like 300/10. Nothing to complain about but buying this new router after 6 years and fiber was crazy when I ran the test.

I bought this Manta Ray-rear end router. Always have had Nighthawks and really like them.

Netgear Nighthawk AX6600

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Feb 15, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno poo poo about mesh wifi, so someone tell me if it's a good thing to get. I've got a few spots in my house where the signal from my router isn't that great, but it seems like a wifi extender would just boost signal and noise...

Also, what about those setups that use your power plugs in your house? Better/worse than mesh?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, what about those setups that use your power plugs in your house? Better/worse than mesh?

Can't offer a comparison vs. mesh, but I got one of these power plug extenders :

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHCC8BN

and it has worked really well to cover one really inconvenient dead spot in our place.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

I dunno poo poo about mesh wifi, so someone tell me if it's a good thing to get. I've got a few spots in my house where the signal from my router isn't that great, but it seems like a wifi extender would just boost signal and noise...

We had tried a couple of different extenders that just caused connectivity issues more than anything, and gave up and bought a mesh system, a pair of Asus AC3000 CT8's for $300.

Mesh routers have to communicate and the best way is to have them wired together (a wired backhaul). If this isn't possible for your setup they can use the same wifi radios to communicate, but you can also get some with a dedicated wireless backhaul (it has extra radios just for communicating between routers). Modem wired to router through wireless backhaul to router wired to computer is nearly as fast as wiring it directly with our gigabit fiber connection.

I don't know much about home networking but I thought it was worth mentioning "backhaul" a bunch of times as something you should look into.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I snagged a couple tri-band Velops on sale and they intelligently swap their backhaul traffic between two radios.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I can't comment on the power plug extenders.

Anecdotal evidence with babby's first mesh wifi:
I had an inexpensive TP-link router that was maybe ~5 years old. No real frills, I always thought the range was decent (could get connectivity in my yard ~150 feet away from the house) but with a bunch of random devices on wifi (tablets, laptops, phones, google homes, chromecasts, etc) it was pretty laggy. Not sure if that was a product of just an oldish router with no real QoS built-in or I had something misconfigured or whatever.

With the TP-link mesh system that I got a page or two back, it's a night and day difference. There are probably a lot of factors (newer technology like beam forming, better hardware, more than one access point, blah blah) but I feel like a chode for not upgrading sooner. I ran speedtests on my laptop back to back when they were both running at the same time, I got like ~22Mbps with the old router (sitting about 20 feet from it) and 195Mbps connected to the new one. Similar huge jumps with my phone on wifi as well.

The things I like about the ones that I got (often recommended in slickdeals forum slapfights):
- About half the cost of the assbutt expensive eero Pros
- Can do ethernet backhaul (or not)
- Seems to intelligently handle all the handoffs in the background. I'm not selecting on my device if I want to join a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network, it's just connecting me to the best access point (in my experience)
- I can easily max out my 200Mb internet over wifi. Some reviews say that these are not the fastest, but unless you have gig internet it's probably a moot point.
- My house is not large so 2 units is more than plenty, I still have a 3rd unit I can put somewhere. Might consider putting it outside on the deck in the summer, haha.
- A lot of my casting (chromecast or google home audio) weirdness/lag/not connecting is gone.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The networking thread generally suggests the netgear mesh system as I recall. Or if you have wires going close enough you can use a unifi system.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

"It's an older code, sir, but it checks out"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I can't comment on the power plug extenders.

Anecdotal evidence with babby's first mesh wifi:
I had an inexpensive TP-link router that was maybe ~5 years old. No real frills, I always thought the range was decent (could get connectivity in my yard ~150 feet away from the house) but with a bunch of random devices on wifi (tablets, laptops, phones, google homes, chromecasts, etc) it was pretty laggy. Not sure if that was a product of just an oldish router with no real QoS built-in or I had something misconfigured or whatever.

With the TP-link mesh system that I got a page or two back, it's a night and day difference. There are probably a lot of factors (newer technology like beam forming, better hardware, more than one access point, blah blah) but I feel like a chode for not upgrading sooner. I ran speedtests on my laptop back to back when they were both running at the same time, I got like ~22Mbps with the old router (sitting about 20 feet from it) and 195Mbps connected to the new one. Similar huge jumps with my phone on wifi as well.

The things I like about the ones that I got (often recommended in slickdeals forum slapfights):
- About half the cost of the assbutt expensive eero Pros
- Can do ethernet backhaul (or not)
- Seems to intelligently handle all the handoffs in the background. I'm not selecting on my device if I want to join a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network, it's just connecting me to the best access point (in my experience)
- I can easily max out my 200Mb internet over wifi. Some reviews say that these are not the fastest, but unless you have gig internet it's probably a moot point.
- My house is not large so 2 units is more than plenty, I still have a 3rd unit I can put somewhere. Might consider putting it outside on the deck in the summer, haha.
- A lot of my casting (chromecast or google home audio) weirdness/lag/not connecting is gone.

Got a link to the router setup?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Got a link to the router setup?

TP-Link Deco WiFi 6 Mesh WiFi System(Deco X20)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Z35GY6

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Youch, any recommendations around the 100 mark?

(Not saying it ain't worth it, just that my budget is kinda tight atm)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Here is another TP link mesh setup (2 units) for ~$110. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I assume this will be relatively similar. Seems to have lots of positive reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Whole-Home-System/dp/B0797D6853

It does not look like it's Wifi 6, but from what I understand that's more for business-level type poo poo and the devices also have the support it, so it's kind of a moot point anyway.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah. I thiiiiink wifi usually tops out at 300ish???

This depends on many factors. If your wifi router is decked out with the newest technologies, and you have a client device that is also capable of taking advantage of said technologies, then it is possible to get near Gigabit actual throughput on WIFI. Routers are generally advancing far faster than clients though. So the client device is usually the bottleneck.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Yup, skip mesh and get a decent access point system like Ubiquiti Unifi. Wifi 6 (802.11ax) hasn’t even been technically ratified as a standard and published yet. Anything claiming to be is basing their devices on draft publication specs, which can and do change. 802.11AC fixes so many issues and supports channel bonding for aggregated input over multiple radios, beamforming for crowded spectrum etc. I’m not a big mesh fan because the spectrum is already overcrowded— no need to introduce unnecessary overhead and latency. The best solution is to run an ethernet cable (even cat5e is more than adequate for home solutions and supports gigabit), from your router to wherever you want better wireless experience, and drop an access point such as this at the end of the run:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-LITE-802-11ac-Gigabit-Dual-Radio/dp/B01DRM6MLI/

The pro version has additional radios for supporting more simultaneous clients, whereas the lite will happily support a modern household and then some.

I have a hundred year old house with plaster walls which are horrible for wireless, and I basically have my router and other appliances racked up in my basement with two cat6 runs to two wireless access points, one downstairs and one upstairs, and that’ll cover my entire house in near latency free wireless. Just as a side note, cat6 essentially has a higher twist ratio that reduces crosstalk over cat5e, and manually terminating it to actual cat6 standards is really difficult outside of the factory, so it really operates at cat5e, which is why that cabling is perfectly fine in 2021, especially because internet service in the US mostly sucks and people are even lucky to have broadband, let alone fiber. :capitalism:

E: Looks like Wifi 6 us set to be published sometime here very soon so maybe it’s not as speculative and subject to revision as it was six months ago. That being said, it’s still awhile down the road from your devices supporting it, and the bottleneck for most people is still crappy internet service in the US, and even crappier home routers and rented ISP equipment. Plus the jump from 802.11AC to 802.11AX isn’t anything like the jump from 802.11G to 802.11N. It’s more akin to 4GLTE vs 5G, in which you’ll see more benefit in high density areas but most end users probably won’t even notice the transition from one to the other.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I have this...

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-wi-fi-system

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to network stuff but that works really well for me. I had a middle of the road Netgear wireless at my old house. It worked well in a pre-fab double wide. Not so much in a 4 bedroom house. Especially a mid century brick home. The walls are thick as... a brick. (Jethro Tull flute toots) :toot:

With that setup I have the base on the ground floor, one mesh point upstairs and one down in the finished basement. Got full coverage throughout the whole house, garage, yard, shed and a good ways up the street. Got all the stuff a modern home and family has running from it with exactly zero problems in the year or so I've had it. Highly recommended.

:Edit: I do have a network cable running downstairs to the PS4 and TV. They would probably work just fine on the wireless but I demand exacting response times for whatever.

Grumbletron 4000 has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Feb 16, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Bought a Frigidaire refrigerator. It could not cool, did weird things like freeze a water pitcher solid in the fridge but couldn't freeze anything in the freezer. Called them Friday, they wouldn't send a tech till Monday, so I did not have a fridge all weekend. The tech showed me the evaporator coils weren't frozen like they should be except for the feeder hose.

Frigidaire says Home Depot has to refund me and HD told me to call Frigidaire before I put my foot down. I'm working with a local store to maybe take it back. So far all this has taught me is neither company should ever be trusted again and that I'm totally on my own on this one. If they don't take this motherfucking thing out of my drat house and give me my money back I have half a mind to tip it over at their entrance and make it leak some freon.

Oh, and between getting the broken one out, getting my money back, and getting a new fridge in here, I'll have been without basic food storage for basically a month. Like, this isn't a redringing Xbox, this is usually considered a necessity.

Tech also mentioned that retailers have been passing off returns and RMAs as new, which makes perfect sense. Life in a declining empire, I guess.

Home Depots return policy on fridges is supposed to be 48 hours... on a device where 24 hours to wait for changes in temp to take effect is the norm. I also did not start living in my apartment until at least 24 hours after I took delivery of the thing. Super shady.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Home Depots return policy on fridges is supposed to be 48 hours... on a device where 24 hours to wait for changes in temp to take effect is the norm. I also did not start living in my apartment until at least 24 hours after I took delivery of the thing. Super shady.

It's an amazingly lovely return policy. Even Best Buy's regular appliance department has a two week return policy. I'm not too sure about Pacific Sales.

mystes
May 31, 2006

48 hours? What if you just don't even get around to installing it for two days, that's completely stupid.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oof. 48 hours is a really lovely return policy. Maybe try blasting them on social media? That seems to work better than trying to deal with the store itself since it goes straight to the corporate office. Just @ both HD and Frigidaire and see if either responds.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mystes posted:

48 hours? What if you just don't even get around to installing it for two days, that's completely stupid.

Or people equipping an apartment building or summat where people won't be around the fridges for a month or more before they're used.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oof. 48 hours is a really lovely return policy. Maybe try blasting them on social media? That seems to work better than trying to deal with the store itself since it goes straight to the corporate office. Just @ both HD and Frigidaire and see if either responds.

I already did, nada.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup, skip mesh and get a decent access point system like Ubiquiti Unifi. Wifi 6 (802.11ax) hasn’t even been technically ratified as a standard and published yet. Anything claiming to be is basing their devices on draft publication specs, which can and do change. 802.11AC fixes so many issues and supports channel bonding for aggregated input over multiple radios, beamforming for crowded spectrum etc. I’m not a big mesh fan because the spectrum is already overcrowded— no need to introduce unnecessary overhead and latency. The best solution is to run an ethernet cable (even cat5e is more than adequate for home solutions and supports gigabit), from your router to wherever you want better wireless experience, and drop an access point such as this at the end of the run:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-LITE-802-11ac-Gigabit-Dual-Radio/dp/B01DRM6MLI/

The pro version has additional radios for supporting more simultaneous clients, whereas the lite will happily support a modern household and then some.

I have a hundred year old house with plaster walls which are horrible for wireless, and I basically have my router and other appliances racked up in my basement with two cat6 runs to two wireless access points, one downstairs and one upstairs, and that’ll cover my entire house in near latency free wireless. Just as a side note, cat6 essentially has a higher twist ratio that reduces crosstalk over cat5e, and manually terminating it to actual cat6 standards is really difficult outside of the factory, so it really operates at cat5e, which is why that cabling is perfectly fine in 2021, especially because internet service in the US mostly sucks and people are even lucky to have broadband, let alone fiber. :capitalism:

E: Looks like Wifi 6 us set to be published sometime here very soon so maybe it’s not as speculative and subject to revision as it was six months ago. That being said, it’s still awhile down the road from your devices supporting it, and the bottleneck for most people is still crappy internet service in the US, and even crappier home routers and rented ISP equipment. Plus the jump from 802.11AC to 802.11AX isn’t anything like the jump from 802.11G to 802.11N. It’s more akin to 4GLTE vs 5G, in which you’ll see more benefit in high density areas but most end users probably won’t even notice the transition from one to the other.

I just opted for this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNG6F5J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlT1_TPTDRZMW72XX7P5FZVE6

It's in the budget, and it looks like it'll help keep my octoprint server from lagging out. I'm not looking to stream 4k to the bedroom or anything, just boost the signal a bit. Should be here tomorrow sometime so I'll have a trip report in a few days.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sold my 2012 macbook air and upgraded to the current one.
The M1 is a beast, yet no fan and awesome battery life. Its nuts.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I thought you sold a laptop to buy a chair

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah. I thiiiiink wifi usually tops out at 300ish??? but maybe between Fiber and this Wifi6 router it's getting closer. My old router and Comcast Gigabit my wifi was like 300/10. Nothing to complain about but buying this new router after 6 years and fiber was crazy when I ran the test.

I bought this Manta Ray-rear end router. Always have had Nighthawks and really like them.

Netgear Nighthawk AX6600

yeah those imperial shuttles were cool

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Skim Milk posted:

yeah those imperial shuttles were cool

Oh, it's one of the new codes. Sure, let him in.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Duvel posted:

I thought you sold a laptop to buy a chair

Was trying to figure out the same thing... I thought it was a chair print laptop case

E: For content, I threw some money at AND!XOR for them to give to charity in return for a blind box of whatever old broken badges they wanted to clear out of their workshop. Wound up getting two badges and a lovely add on, one of which is a prototype!

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Feb 17, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Was trying to figure out the same thing... I thought it was a chair print laptop case

E: For content, I threw some money at AND!XOR for them to give to charity in return for a blind box of whatever old broken badges they wanted to clear out of their workshop. Wound up getting two badges and a lovely add on, one of which is a prototype!

What kind of bike do these fit on?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slimy Hog posted:

The bolt-action kind.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I have no idea what these things are for.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A lot of electronics, maker, and/or hacker conventions have electronic doodads as badges. Usually there's a display or some LEDs and a microcontroller (but not always). They've gotten more and more elaborate over time and part of the con is often a contest or other venue to show how much you could get the limited electronics on the badge to do as a project during the con.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So what does it do?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lights up and poo poo, I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah they usually have a default of lighting up, maybe displaying your name or the con name or whatever, but they exist to be toyed with.
https://hackaday.com/tag/conference-badge/

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lights up and poo poo, I guess.

We don’t need no blinking badges

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So, like Wrench's visor in Watch Dogs 2

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Slimy Hog posted:

A pelaton

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They’re just artistically designed pcbs that often incorporate functionality that does neat things with electronics and software at a very low level. Others are just circuits with blinkey LEDs printed on boards and silkscreened. Art + Electronics

Bape Culture posted:

So what does it do?

These particular badges have capture the flag type hacking challenges embedded within them. Others just light up and blink, and yet others do really interesting stuff like the DCZia theremin badge. The hack for satan badges had an embedded beacon that would interact with other nearby hfs badges, so you’d occasionally see small groups of people seancing with them.

Here’s some other examples from the same convention the prototype came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I just opted for this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNG6F5J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlT1_TPTDRZMW72XX7P5FZVE6

It's in the budget, and it looks like it'll help keep my octoprint server from lagging out. I'm not looking to stream 4k to the bedroom or anything, just boost the signal a bit. Should be here tomorrow sometime so I'll have a trip report in a few days.

Alright, trip report.

Pros -
It does actually boost the signal pretty good.
Works so far (set up last night, still functional 24 hours later)
Has 5g (which, the only thing I own that supports it is probably the latest gen kindle fire stick I own)

Cons -
Paid for a new one, got a used one. This sucked extra because whoever had it before me didn't reset it before they sent it back, causing me a lot of irritation to install it because after I got the poo poo set up I had to go back and reset everything.
Only 1 port on the back for something to have a wired connection. This sucks, because the wifi adapter I have for my PC sucks balls, and I have to use it to plug in my OOMA device so my phone works.

So, basically, I'm returning this one for multiple reasons, such as "I paid for a new one, I wanted a new one" and "I need at least 2 ports on the back so I can actually not half my bandwidth".

I do plan to grab another, might just be in a few weeks or whenever that stimulus check rolls in.