Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Not sure how I managed this. Kind of proud of this kind of stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Zack Snyder directed Star Wars one-off would probably be pretty cool.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A Snyder-directed Star Wars sounds like an exciting new way to piss off nerds. I'm all for it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
His pitch before the sequels took off was a Magnificent Seven kind of thing IIRC

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shanty posted:

His pitch before the sequels took off was a Magnificent Seven kind of thing IIRC

Been done

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They did a Seven Samurai episode of The Clone Wars too. I'd love to see a live action Star War do it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assumed that'd be the Kenobi series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did a Seven Samurai episode of The Clone Wars too. I'd love to see a live action Star War do it.

To an extent that was the AT-ST episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Been done

I was not expecting Bucky O’Hare to be a Star Wars spinoff.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did two in Clone Wars, I think. And as stated, Mandalorian already did one too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TCW S2E17 - Bounty Hunters is the homage - Obi, Ani, and Ahsoka join four bounty hunters to protect a farm from Ohnaka's pirates

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Davros1 posted:

Been done

Snyder's such a nerd, I wouldn't be surprised if this was specifically what he wanted to do.

Crossing the comic book movie and star wars streams is exactly his kind of guaranteed controversy poo poo, too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
SW stands for Seven Weebs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YaketySass posted:

SW stands for Seven Weebs

Filoni, Favreau, Waititi, Chow, Weathers, Howard, and Famuyiwa?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The_Doctor posted:

IIRC the vehicle in the background and the woman next to it is the basis for the gambler woman in Bucky O'Hare too.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

The_Doctor posted:

Wasn't there a Frog Vader in that lol

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was just reading about the Buddhist crisis in Vietnam and that led me to Diem’s Order 46- was that the inspiration for Order 66? Seems pretty plausible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Couldn't be, that would be making some kind of point about liberal democracies!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't know how reliable ...

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1361504733081399302?s=20

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
no it's not

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/909634430825848833

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's from the most reliable source on the internet

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
legit, if you look into the source, it's the same as what's been said for the past few years. an interview someone asks rian if his trilogy is happening, he says it is but that there's no dates or plans or whatever

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I heard that Rian's new trilogy will reboot the old new trilogy, here is my source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Did I do this right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope it happens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*bangs fists on desk at Disney corporate meeting*

I JUST WANT A KOTOR TRILOGY

GIVE ME A KOTOR TRILOGY

*throws large glass pitcher of water against the wall*

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"The Acolyte" is the only tv show that was announced (other than the obi show) that sounded like it could be different enough to be interesting and that's apparently pre-prequel

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bold strategy to pivot to making good films, instead of bad ones. Time will tell if this pans out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is funny how everyone rightly calls out Hollywood blockbusters, especially Disney's, for being so risk-averse and by the numbers, but the funny thing is, it's that terror of failure and running away from risk that ends up making movies even more risky than doing something different, because it ends up making such stupid decisions and combining bad and bland in ways that are guaranteed to piss everyone off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Risk-aversion isn't helpful if you don't know what is and isn't risky in the first place.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They almost always get lucky and everything they attribute to that luck is a post-hoc rationalization.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

She still loves me but we both needed to take a break for a while

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ingmar terdman posted:

Threepio tells Owen that he's programmed and can talk to labor-intensive droids so presumably that is where his "human-cyborg relations" comes in. Gonks and Artoos don't have human speech and even the Falcon and Death Star have some kind of droid-only form of communication.

Maybe it's on a placement somewhere but I don't remember what shmi actually does as watto's property. Presumably he thought threepio would help her with that, and maybe it involves programming other robots. But then again anakin is a 9 year old only child so it's hard to take "when I finish my robot friend he can help mom" at face value

Isn't she just there to support Anakin for Watto? Between the podracing and the mechanical skill he seemed like the moneymaker.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching The Director and the Jedi is a lot of fun because at every step they're like "we don't have the budget for this" "this doesn't feel like Star Wars" "should we do this thing that doesn't make sense?" and every time the answer is a baffling "let's keep going anyway"

The embodiment of "There is a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it. But let's keep going and see what happens."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And the result was a great movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

And the result was a great movie.

Begun the Forum Wars have.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Watching The Director and the Jedi is a lot of fun because at every step they're like "we don't have the budget for this" "this doesn't feel like Star Wars" "should we do this thing that doesn't make sense?" and every time the answer is a baffling "let's keep going anyway"

The embodiment of "There is a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it. But let's keep going and see what happens."

Yeah it rules. Rian imagined a green milk space manatee and got disney to pay for the construction of a green milk space manatee

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This is a really stupid question, but is the Mandalorian and the upcoming tv shows meant to tie into the sequel trilogy at some point? As in, do they definitely exist in the same timeline?

I binged the Mandalorian last month and it rebooted my Star Wars appreciation, but I feel behind on everything with the direction of the new canon universe.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's been pretty decisively demonstrated that the main thing the TV creatives care about plot continuation wise is the cartoons, so if you know what happened in those you're fine. The sequel trilogy is canon in theory but not in practice and everyone would prefer you forgot about it ever happening in the first place, I'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The takeaway from the handling of the sequels and the tv shows is that having the star war play on in the background of personal stories is more interesting than actually wrapping up the star war. Weird that it took them so long to figure this out considering it's the entire conceit of the opening sequence of "Star Wars"