Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Noticed wolves have the same modifiers as boars ("wild" "terrified"), are they tameable?

yes, and they can be brought along to follow you (just press e, e again to make them stay), they aggro pretty much anything around them (except other tamed animals)

They are too squishy to fight anything big, but a great tag-along if you are doing poo poo in meadows or black forest during the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Xerophyte posted:

Today in viking moronity:

After finding a waystone for the elder I got the nasty news that he was literally half the world away. So I've been working my way through bronze, upgrading weapons, getting ready for The Expedition. I set out this morning, slowly taking my Karve through the ocean with the wind constantly in the Worst Direction. I discover interesting new biomes, spot nasty new critters, almost get eaten by a sea serpent but finally make it to the forest next to the 2nd boss and start building a modest house near the border to the meadow.

2 minutes into building I get murdered by 2 angry goblins, because the biome border wasn't to the meadow: it was to the plains. I haven't set up a portal or a bed, so I respawn back home.

My map now looks like this:

I have 6 bronze and 2 fine wood at home so I can't really make anything current. I can build a raft to sail back, which sounds horrible. I can hope there's a land connection and try to run back, which sounds even worse. I can of course also restart from the antler stage, build up to a bronze axe and 80 nails again, harvest some fine wood and build a new Karve.

Or I can do what I actually did, which was aggro a troll, have him smash about 6 birch trees to splinters, and use them to build my new replacement boat.

Now sailing naked through the storms to recover my lost equipment and ... not so much avenge myself as run away screaming from the goblins and rebuild a forward house somewhere safer. :rock:

Be sure to mark your corpse on the map now because if you die again it'll be much more difficult to find

Omi no Kami posted:

I've got level 3 iron gear and a finewood bow, but I'm really ready to be done with the swamp... is that enough to handle the bonemass, or do I really want to be making a point to max out my current zone gear before challenging each boss?

Boss spoilers: If you take piercing weapons to bonemass you're gonna have a bad time. You want clubs, maces, stuff like that

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 16, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dackel posted:

yes, and they can be brought along to follow you (just press e, e again to make them stay), they aggro pretty much anything around them (except other tamed animals)

They are too squishy to fight anything big, but a great tag-along if you are doing poo poo in meadows or black forest during the day

Sweet, I know what I'm doing once I find a mountain biome big enough to build a base in. Cheers!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You just have to throw raw meat at them or something?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Shield question and base defense question.

Tower shields vs bucklers - do you guys find parrying better than fully absorbing an attack even at the risk of taking more damage? Getting the stagger and an uninterrupted shot at 1-3 crits is pretty nice, but also just being able to hold block and eat all the damage is pretty sweet too. Haven’t tried 2h weapons much yet, tho; that might change things.

For base defense I’ve just been sticking stakes out by the entrances where Greydwarves like to spawn - I was thinking maybe dig a dry moat with stakes on top might be the easiest option? They don’t seem to do too much damage to walls yet, as long as you’re checking on things every so often.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

Shield question and base defense question.

Tower shields vs bucklers - do you guys find parrying better than fully absorbing an attack even at the risk of taking more damage? Getting the stagger and an uninterrupted shot at 1-3 crits is pretty nice, but also just being able to hold block and eat all the damage is pretty sweet too. Haven’t tried 2h weapons much yet, tho; that might change things.

For base defense I’ve just been sticking stakes out by the entrances where Greydwarves like to spawn - I was thinking maybe dig a dry moat with stakes on top might be the easiest option? They don’t seem to do too much damage to walls yet, as long as you’re checking on things every so often.

Tower shields are bad compared to Buckler's, and it's definitely better to parry because the party window is extremely generous. Just blocking drains too much stamina.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

Tower shields are bad compared to Buckler's, and it's definitely better to parry because the party window is extremely generous. Just blocking drains too much stamina.

I uh, made a big catch and have a pretty good shield now; stats are def better than comparable tower shields even at base level. I haven’t actually noticed a ton of stamina drain from blocking with it but I’ll compare to the banded shield I made last night.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Be sure to mark your corpse on the map now because if you die again it'll be much more difficult to find

Boss spoilers: If you take piercing weapons to bonemass you're gonna have a bad time. You want clubs, maces, stuff like that

Hmkay cool, that's helpful- thank you! :)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

I uh, made a big catch and have a pretty good shield now; stats are def better than comparable tower shields even at base level. I haven’t actually noticed a ton of stamina drain from blocking with it but I’ll compare to the banded shield I made last night.

Stamina comes into play vs mobs that hit for a lot of damage. You'll still block 99% of the damage but you'll take the stamina hit as if you took the damage. It really starts to show how bad towers are when you start trying to block mobs in the plains biome. Blocking becomes nearly pointless because you'll just end up at 99% health but 0 stamina, which means you're dead.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just installed this and intended to play for ten minutes, then looked up and an hour had flew by. Easily the best first impression any survival/crafting game has ever made.

Obviously I'm still in the very early stages, but what stands out so far is the way that things like eating are presented as bonuses rather than obligations you need to do to avoid severe penalties. It's a seemingly minor difference, yet it shifts my mindset and makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Oh, I died like 3 times recruiting trolls to lumberjack fine wood for me while naked. I have a marker for where I parked my now lost boat and my corpse is 5 meters from it so I'm not worried about that part.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is there a limit to how densely you can plant tree seeds, like carrots?

I want my tree farm area to be as tight as possible for maximum domino, but not at the expense of wasting a lot of seeds if there's a limit.

I'm sure other people figured this out too or maybe it's just obvious, but you can bring Fir and Pine seeds back to your safe meadows areas and plant tree farms for those tier 2 woods without having to make trips to the Black Forest.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Xerophyte posted:

Oh, I died like 3 times recruiting trolls to lumberjack fine wood for me while naked. I have a marker for where I parked my now lost boat and my corpse is 5 meters from it so I'm not worried about that part.

Another thing that I'm actually unsure of that someone else may be able to answer: Do your death drops also get deleted from the server after a few in-game days?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Scoss posted:

Is there a limit to how densely you can plant tree seeds, like carrots?

I want my tree farm area to be as tight as possible for maximum domino, but not at the expense of wasting a lot of seeds if there's a limit.

I'm sure other people figured this out too or maybe it's just obvious, but you can bring Fir and Pine seeds back to your safe meadows areas and plant tree farms for those tier 2 woods without having to make trips to the Black Forest.

so badly want this for fine wood

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol this PC Gamer writer died fighting the Elder and now we need to have a discussion about sharp difficulty curves :qq:

The Elder was a complete pushover solo and I was fighting him and a troll simultaneously in a 2v1 handicap match.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

explosivo posted:

Lol this PC Gamer writer died fighting the Elder and now we need to have a discussion about sharp difficulty curves :qq:

The Elder was a complete pushover solo and I was fighting him and a troll simultaneously in a 2v1 handicap match.

Valheim Needs to Respect Its Players and Include an Easy Mode, an article by The Guy That Died To a Falling Tree the First Time He Chopped Down a Tree and Has Been Mad Since

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, I decided to take a trip far out to see if I could find some sizeable mountain biomes, and uhm... (spoilers)

I thought plains were supposed to be the last biome

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Plans is the last populated biome atm, others are there but have nothing there for now

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, that explains it. I figured they weren't even implemented, since I hadn't seen any of them until now.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 16, 2021

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Broken Cog posted:

So, I decided to take a trip far out to see if I could find some sizeable mountain biomes, and uhm... (spoilers)

I thought plains were supposed to be the last biome

I saw the label pop up while out sailing and noped out in fear before actually seeing land.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Yo where da FUq is iron! We've hit a wall (lol) with technology because we can't find iron. Having a great time though. Accidentally built a base near a troll cave. Have to fight trolls now and then before they destroy my buddies extremely tenacious city on stilts. Still get wrecked by wolves when i get near mountains. Found a cool draugr spawn and farmed gutz for like 30 mins.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yo where da FUq is iron! We've hit a wall (lol) with technology because we can't find iron. Having a great time though. Accidentally built a base near a troll cave. Have to fight trolls now and then before they destroy my buddies extremely tenacious city on stilts. Still get wrecked by wolves when i get near mountains. Found a cool draugr spawn and farmed gutz for like 30 mins.

Go to where those draugrs are spawning, should be in a swamp biome. You need to look out for the dungeons in the swamp biomes that are marked by green torches outside of it. Use the key that you got for killing boss #2 to open up the dungeons. You may need to look around for other swamp biomes depending on how large the one you were at is, I think I sailed around and found 4 or 5 of them before finally getting one big enough to have a couple of the dungeons in them. Keep a lookout for the janky bare trees in the distance to easily identify a swamp if you're boatin' around.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Our group has built a reasonably large primary settlement, but now the outermost wall is large enough that random idiots spawn inside it and trample the crops. Is there a way to prevent this, and do we really know anything about the game's spawn logic in general?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I believe crafting benches prevent enemy spawns within a certain radius, so just line your walls with those and make sure they more or less cover your habitation zone.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Another thing that I'm actually unsure of that someone else may be able to answer: Do your death drops also get deleted from the server after a few in-game days?
The server I play on has people's tombstones from almost the launch day still there at boss arenas, so that's a no.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I believe enemies will not spawn within a workbench's efftive radium, so you should build small network of them to cover your whole base.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I believe enemies will not spawn within a workbench's efftive radium, so you should build small network of them to cover your whole base.

this is such an ugly solution

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

Bury them! You can also bury the linked upgrades.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think it's any station that projects a radius, so stonecutter benches should work too.

Otacon posted:

Bury them! You can also bury the linked upgrades.

How do you bury them? raise ground with the hoe? I figured the table would just raise along with the terrain.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 16, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Go to where those draugrs are spawning, should be in a swamp biome. You need to look out for the dungeons in the swamp biomes that are marked by green torches outside of it. Use the key that you got for killing boss #2 to open up the dungeons. You may need to look around for other swamp biomes depending on how large the one you were at is, I think I sailed around and found 4 or 5 of them before finally getting one big enough to have a couple of the dungeons in them. Keep a lookout for the janky bare trees in the distance to easily identify a swamp if you're boatin' around.

Def found swamp def found a green torch area. Def have the key. Alright cool then. We were wondering where the hell to go really. We were about to set sail and look for these livin islands

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

GruntyThrst posted:

I think it's any station that projects a radius, so stonecutter benches should work too.

How do you bury them? raise ground with the hoe? I figured the table would just raise along with the terrain.

Everything I have is floors on top of stilts, so I just remove a floor, dig under it with the pickaxe, drop whatever in, and then place the floor back over top. They link up just fine!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Def found swamp def found a green torch area. Def have the key. Alright cool then. We were wondering where the hell to go really. We were about to set sail and look for these livin islands

Yep you're good then. There's goop you can mine in there to get iron or there's also chests with big stacks of it. Heads up though, the poo poo weighs a lot more than copper/tin so I suggest bringing a boat nearby to dump stuff in so you can sail it back home. If you get lucky you can get 100+ iron from a single crypt!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Yep you're good then. There's goop you can mine in there to get iron or there's also chests with big stacks of it. Heads up though, the poo poo weighs a lot more than copper/tin so I suggest bringing a boat nearby to dump stuff in so you can sail it back home. If you get lucky you can get 100+ iron from a single crypt!

We actually (accidentally) built our swamp portal pretty close to a cryp. Without even knowing it. I ran by it to get back to our portal house. There was 2 spawners ontop of it so i just booked it out of there cuz i was p scared

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

Yea I hope they come up with something that makes more sense

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yea I hope they come up with something that makes me sense

they do have the Warding Stone for bronze-level tech. kind of a pain in a MP server since it blocks monsters from spawning but also other players from making buildings and they have to touch it to be able to build in the radius

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

they do have the Warding Stone for bronze-level tech. kind of a pain in a MP server since it blocks monsters from spawning but also other players from making buildings and they have to touch it to be able to build in the radius

Yeah I got the impression that wards are something geared more towards a PVP server-- the idea being the ward prevents people from just throwing down a workbench and using the hammer tool to deconstruct entire bases. If wards are hidden inside walls you have to smash your way in the old fashioned way.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Heads up, it looks like you can only dig a certain amount below the starting elevation of a piece of ground. There goes my level coastal town plans :(

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

spotted on reddit

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Thats cool

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Nope. Just nope. I can’t see poo poo like this while my rectangular enlarged living coffin continues to be my sole source of home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i'd love to see a cool lookin big ol barracks that can sleep 10 people (MP server) and also has real high comfort. any ideas?