Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Julio Cruz posted:

it owns so much that the media were just begging to give him an easy ride and he wasted all that goodwill by not having a single actual policy

now the knives are out and he's about to find out what happens to your polling when the papers have decided you've outlived your usefulness as a patsy

it's going to be glorious and I cannot wait :allears:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/16/keir-starmer-leadership-urgent-course-correction-labour

Guardian article points out that since being elected:

- Starmer's picked an entirely pointless and unnecessary fight with the Labour left
- Wasted time defining himself as 'not being Corbyn' when this was blindingly obvious already
- Has failed to put the Tories on the defensive re: their blatant failures on Covid and Brexit
- Has articulated no clear vision of where he wants to take the country

It's all the stuff we've been saying for months, just a bit surprising to see it in the Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Scikar posted:

I really don't think it would have changed things. Remember we're talking about a group who already had the purges that never happened branded as Stalinist. On the rare occasion Corbyn did go down the route of playing politics, they would gleefully exclaim "see, he's just another politician like the rest of us!" as though it were not a sad indictment of their own careers. CoolCab has it right - you can't win honestly from the left, but you have to play squeaky clean because any wrong step you take is repeated in the news for weeks

Or lean into it where it really would be expedient? Call that a Stalinist purge? I'll show you a Stalinist purge* etc.
*Don't, obviously, that would be monstrous. Just sack a few SPADs or something.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/16/keir-starmer-leadership-urgent-course-correction-labour

Guardian article points out that since being elected:

- Starmer's picked an entirely pointless and unnecessary fight with the Labour left
- Wasted time defining himself as 'not being Corbyn' when this was blindingly obvious already
- Has failed to put the Tories on the defensive re: their blatant failures on Covid and Brexit
- Has articulated no clear vision of where he wants to take the country

It's all the stuff we've been saying for months, just a bit surprising to see it in the Guardian.

Mate, he demanded the kids get back to school. Leadership!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bessantj posted:

Mate, he demanded the kids get back to school. Leadership!

His one firm idea so far is so bad that his soft critics have to say he hasn't had any ideas lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
He sent a clear and serious message to the government that he will sensibly support whatever they put forward

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Reputable solicitors don't exist to help people get away with crimes. If you need the other sort of solicitor, you probably know how to find them; if you don't, then you shouldn't play big boy games until you figure it out.

Lmao what on earth

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

TheRat posted:

Lmao what on earth

If either of you want to expand on that, let's have a conversation.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Guavanaut posted:

Good news everyone, housing crises solved!

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1361722487390818305?s=20

Yes, yes I am :colbert:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Trin Tragula posted:

was absolutely devastated by that episode of Rumpole tbh

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
while a lot of what trin said i am going to strongly reiterate, in the most unambiguous terms possible, my strong suggestion that if you are in legal trouble you contact the legal support services offered by your union. it is what they are there for, even (in my union) for criminal issues - there perhaps is some regional variation because i have not heard overwhelmingly flattering things about duty solicitors in my limited secondhand experience however i defer to more specialized knowledge.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Trin Tragula posted:

in a carpark?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I'll build something else, I'm pretty surprised that that's the least popular option.

Like it's either traditional Saxon house or nothing. No sheds, no chicken coops, no rabbit hutches, no Iron Age Atlantic roundhouses, no Cloigthithe, no Palladian miniature temples, no Druidic shrines, no stills, no meth labs, no kennels, no greenhouses, no gazebos, only hundreds of traditional Saxon houses or empty yards.

Such is 2020s England.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Trin Tragula posted:

lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Still more info than a news segment would do today.
It would be 'X is standing as candidate', and nothing else.
Is they wanted to pad it out they would get a vox pop of some rando no nothing from the street.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spangly A posted:

was absolutely devastated by that episode of Rumpole tbh

she made him sit at the tap end of the bath

the tap end

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So has TERF island hit the point where trans folks are accused of stealing genitals yet?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also has anyone used "The Law of Equivalent Sexchange" yet?

(I know "sex change" isn't accurate but I couldn't resist the pun.)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We really need some consistency on whether this is TERF Island, Paedo Island or Normal Island.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

So has TERF island hit the point where trans folks are accused of stealing genitals yet?
Still just tits at present.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Trin Tragula posted:

maybe you just have a different view of reputable than the rest of the world

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Corbyn had good political instincts and was an excellent local MP. He just wasn't willing to play the lovely political game people expect the leader of the opposition to play.

I think the best example of this was when Cameron bitched him out for not being at the England rugby game, and he responded that he was doing his weekly GP surgery. That is in every respect the right answer to give, but the papers still loving hated him for it.

My personal opinion is that he didn't take advantage of a lot of opportunities to dunk on the conservatives, but then I don't think that's in his nature.

I don't know, maybe if he'd become leader during a less insane time in our history, it might have worked. Corbyn was the right man at the wrong time.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 16, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN

IT SAYS IN THE NEWSPAPER THAT THE DEVIANTS THESE DAYS ARE WANTING TO STEAL OUR BREASTS, NORMAN

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN!!!

I WANT YOU TO WRITE SOMEONE, NORMAN!!!!! :mad:

USE THE GOOD PAPER IN THE BUREAU, NORMAN :mad:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Qwertycoatl posted:

What should you do if you don't have a solicitor and the police want to talk to you? Can you pull out your phone and start googling solicitors or do you have to accept one the police provide or what?

You say "I'm really sorry, would love to help, but I've been advised by my solicitor not to make any statements to the police before speaking to them,". You then say you don't have your solicitors number in your phone and don't feel comfortable saying the name of the firm. If they really press then you call your mate and say "Hey turns out I don't have their number saved in my phone, do you mind texting it to me?" and then if your mate is sound they send a text 3 hours later saying 'hey couldn't find the number, are you in trouble?".

Julio Cruz posted:

it owns so much that the media were just begging to give him an easy ride and he wasted all that goodwill by not having a single actual policy

now the knives are out and he's about to find out what happens to your polling when the papers have decided you've outlived your usefulness as a patsy

it's going to be glorious and I cannot wait :allears:

I'm genuinely curious what's gonna happen. Keith ticked all the boxes for nu-blair; he manipulated enough of a demoralised left into voting for him then went full stalin purges against the left, has signalled absolute obediance to neoliberalism and has continually maintained having a haircut. Honestly I'm legit surprised at how badly he's loving it he's pissing away torrents of press goodwill.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

peanut- posted:

We really need some consistency on whether this is TERF Island, Paedo Island or Normal Island.

I thought we were plague island

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I thought we were plague island

Plagues Island

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

peanut- posted:

Normal MAP cisland

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1361740897826791428?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the man is loving obsessed with ID cards

https://twitter.com/InstituteGC/status/1361357381263896579?s=20

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

We should just abbreviate all of them & call it Island. The archipelago can be called the Islish Isles.

Can't see that causing any problems.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I prefer to just call Britain a poo poo hole

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jose posted:

maybe you just have a different view of reputable than the rest of the world

Nah, Trin is right. To the average barrister, your little issue isn't worth a barrister's licence / opening themselves up to personal prosecution / anything that isn't just "get paid for the job". But they make super boring TV.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Britain is actually one of the best places in the world that people actually want to come to.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Britain is actually one of the best places in the world that people actually want to come to.

Don't lie to me

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Source your quotes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain is actually one of the best places in the world that novel coronaviruses actually want to come to.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

we do have some of the leading coronaviruses.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like, I'm no expert, but I've heard one solution to Britain's problems is to divide britain up into several, even more self impressed, lesser britains.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like, I'm no expert, but I've heard one solution to Britain's problems is to divide britain up into several, even more self impressed, lesser britains.
Britain as one of those jelly enemies that splits into two smaller enemies when you kill it is a very good metaphor. They’re boring, generic, and while quite annoying usually not so dangerous that you have to take them seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ash Crimson posted:

I prefer to just call Britain a poo poo hole

I realise you're an ethnonationalist idiot but a genuine Galaxy Brain Meme moment most politically aware people have at some point in their lives is that Britain is actually pretty good.

If your soul was floating down to earth and you were gonna be gay or trans then the UK would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be a woman it would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be disabled it would be a good spot to aim for. This is objectively true if measured against almost any other place a soul might happen to land.