Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
How dumb would it be to slap in this bilstein pss 14's in my '07 yaris instead of just doing a full stock suspension refresh? They are 800 bucks on rockauto, which seems like a steal.

https://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilstein-toyota-yaris-p13-1.3-b14-coilover-p-260357.html

I may track it for fun, but its mainly just my beater-ish third car -It's in basically pristine condition with no rust and about 150k on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah that's what I'd expect too and the mile ranges are about in line, but they also list an 18 month interval which is a first time I've seen it for spark plugs. Maybe it's just a lovely manual, I found the pdf on some Russian site.

It's a 2004, with the L13A. Yeah irdium are supposed to last forever but the regular ones will probably also last long enough considering how little I'll be driving.

I found exactly one store selling Honda MTF III here and it's more than double what equivalent LM or Castrol oil costs. No reason to cheap out there on your daily, certainly, but this is the 600 dollar car from the other thread so...

Gotcha. I’ll have to check this project out, sorry I wasn’t aware of it.

For a beater though, yeah, just run it into the ground, the poor little thing, and fix only what you must. Checking out a few other forums, they’re all over place on what a good substitute is, though 75W did come up. So you probably could just use what you’ve got if it’s low or grinding.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think they're going to care. I called AAA for a tow once an hour after renewing my membership, having accidentally let it lapse for two months.

My friend had her Jetta get stranded due to a blown main seal in SF at 3am, joined AAA on her phone and right then and there got a tow to Santa Rosa about 45 min away.

AAA owns.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What most people think of as "having AAA" isn't insurance (they also sell insurance), it's a large roadside service discount club with a membership fee. Paying the fee to join and then immediately cashing in on a membership benefit isn't fraud, it's an expected use case.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I thought they had a minimum 24hr wait time before your first tow or something like that.
e: oh, 7 days for plus / premiere which are the big tows.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Speaking of AAA, it's a lot less convenient now that you can't get a ride with the tow driver because of covid. They will tow your car, but tell you to use Uber or call the CHP if you need a ride.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Voltage posted:

How dumb would it be to slap in this bilstein pss 14's in my '07 yaris instead of just doing a full stock suspension refresh? They are 800 bucks on rockauto, which seems like a steal.

https://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilstein-toyota-yaris-p13-1.3-b14-coilover-p-260357.html

I may track it for fun, but its mainly just my beater-ish third car -It's in basically pristine condition with no rust and about 150k on the clock.

It will make your car a lot more fun to drive, at the expense of comfort. If you are older or have a significant other who doesn't appreciate cars like we do, you might not like it. I put coilovers on my Civic hatchback and while it made the car low and stiff, my wife hated the harshness.

e: in case I wasn't clear: DO IT (as long as you wont get divorced)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The Yaris is strictly my car, my wife and I's main car is an '18 civic si and she thinks the Yaris is lame but I love it for its simplicity - it even has roll up windows!

I'm just curious if the bilsteins are less harsh than other coilovers - I have flyin miata springs and kyb agx adjustable shocks in my miata and it rides so rough that it actually kind of sucks on anything over a 2 hour journey on the softest setting.

Fun as poo poo on back roads though!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought they had a minimum 24hr wait time before your first tow or something like that.

AAA NorCal let’s you waive that with a fee. Idk if she ended up paying that or if she had basic and upgraded to premium to get her home or just sweet talked them or the driver

Edit: also AAAs insurance in SoCal is a joke. They quoted me something like 3x what I’m paying for Geico and never countered when I told them how much my monthly bill was.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

I plan to replace the tires soon but I'm not sure or not if I'm replacing any front suspension or steering linkage first, I don't want to put new tires on anything but a perfect alignment. The ones currently on it were last balanced at the factory on a 2012ish Silverado.

Its really weird as its the exact same vibration at the exact same speed but significantly less, almost not enough to worry about but its there.. I plan to replace the front u-joints whenever it stops snowing long enough to do something besides shovel.

Perfectly good suspension will still amplify the vibrations of 8 year old tires that haven't been balanced in as long.

You can either chase your tail or get the thing up in the air, check which components need replacing and do that and put tires on it or just put tires on it and chase vibrations around. I suggest you do the former, but don't be surprised if there's nothing left to fix other than replacing those crusty rear end tires.

How they are wearing should be your big hint on alignment.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sudden loss of power at low speeds. 2010 Nissan Cube (CVT). 36k miles. I think I'm just venting unless anyone has any ideas.

Drove 350 miles yesterday from sea level to my place (5000 feet). Couple f hours in rain. Got gas ~60 miles from home - this was my last stop. I don't know why I include those details but there you go. Last 20 minutes from home started feeling very slight surges at 75mph. Like a soft clutch partially-engaging. I told myself it was because I was driving head-on into wind gusts. I was wrong.

I get to my driveway, brake to click the garage door opener, and then I don't have enough power to pull into the driveway. Takes flooring it 10s to go 10 feet. Idle is normal.

It was late so I just popped the hood, didn't see anything, and went to bed. Was hoping for dislodged sensor/clogged air filter. This morning cold start, idles fine. Drove it around the block, still hesitant (no balls, like 2 spark plugs). Points look ok. I did the accelerator hokie-pokey to reset the throttle closed position and idle air. That seemed to work!

Put it on the freeway, got up to 70, and as soon as I hit the off-ramp stop sign, couldn't get any guts to get moving again. Blocking traffic for 10s to get through the intersection. Get up to speed but surging more (even at lower speeds).

I made an appointment with a shop. I guess I'm just worried it is a $3k transmission for a very low mile, but out-of-warranty vehicle. My wife loves this little car (it is convenient to drive and park in a tight city) but I'm just giving it dagger eyes and venting. I've never liked the car, or the CVT. I know the 2009 had a CVT recall. I think when she bought this 2010 it went in for a recall but I can't find records of it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pull codes.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Nada. Also no Check engine or service lights.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can check for recalls that have NOT been performed with this tool:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vin
The recall for the 2010 Cube was for a fuel system issue, not the CVT. There may have been a service campaign though.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2010/NISSAN/CUBE/4%252520DR/FWD#recalls

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Charles posted:

You can check for recalls that have NOT been performed with this tool:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vin
The recall for the 2010 Cube was for a fuel system issue, not the CVT. There may have been a service campaign though.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2010/NISSAN/CUBE/4%252520DR/FWD#recalls

Super cool, thank you! Nothing there, but a cool tool. Now I'm very curious about the work truck I inherited from an old employer (but scared to look).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
One of my bucketlist cars (at least on paper) is a Baja bug. They look incredibly fun to drive and also cool. I'm thinking of the "lifted normal bug with bigger tyres and exposed stock engine at the back as well as the bodykit" bajas, not the kind that that dude went flying though San Diego in a couple of years back (although that car looks fun as hell).
Are they as fun to drive as they look (bearing in mind that the closest I'd get to off road are dirt roads in a forest)?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BlackMK4 posted:

That was my experience, they would do a short tow immediately but I had to wait a week for the long tow service

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nitsuga posted:

Gotcha. I’ll have to check this project out, sorry I wasn’t aware of it.

For a beater though, yeah, just run it into the ground, the poor little thing, and fix only what you must. Checking out a few other forums, they’re all over place on what a good substitute is, though 75W did come up. So you probably could just use what you’ve got if it’s low or grinding.
No worries, that's just for context and I wouldn't expect anyone to keep up with the projects especially since this one is pretty boring for now. I called up the only Honda dealership in town and they have it but it's like 3 times as much as the synthetic Shell Spirax or Castrol stuff, plus I can only get it from them and not the place I'm ordering everything else from. I definitely don't want to ruin the poor baby for no reason as I've grown to like it, but OTOH it's a manual gearbox, what could it possibly need that normal gear oil doesn't have.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A friend is looking to get a 2-post lift put in their garage in Boston we can share. Any recommendations for places in the area that can sell/install one? Called the first place I googled in the area and they wanted $4500 all-in for a "Forward Lift DP10A" brand which doesn't seem bad compared to $2000 for an Amazon model that we'd need to rent a forklift to unload, apparently.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 17, 2021

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Am I a stupid moron for trading in my 2016 luxury SUV that gets 20mpg for a 2019 fusion hybrid that’ll get 40? I found out that I’ll be driving something like 30 thousand miles over the next year (200mi/day) and the thought of filling over half a tank a day would drive me insane.

I’ll probably get something like 16k for the trade in, and pay 20 even for the fusion.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

Am I a stupid moron for trading in my 2016 luxury SUV that gets 20mpg for a 2019 fusion hybrid that’ll get 40? I found out that I’ll be driving something like 30 thousand miles over the next year (200mi/day) and the thought of filling over half a tank a day would drive me insane.

I’ll probably get something like 16k for the trade in, and pay 20 even for the fusion.

30k miles is 1500 gallons at 20 mpg, 750 at 40mpg. I don't know what gas prices are where you're at, but say here in LA where $3.30 right now is average (number pulled straight out of my rear end) that comes out to saving ~$2.5k a year. Is it worth the hassle to pay $4k (plus title transfer) to save that a year? Will you go instead go insane from driving a fusion vs a lux SUV 200 miles a day? Idk what insurance diff is

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

luminalflux posted:

30k miles is 1500 gallons at 20 mpg, 750 at 40mpg. I don't know what gas prices are where you're at, but say here in LA where $3.30 right now is average (number pulled straight out of my rear end) that comes out to saving ~$2.5k a year. Is it worth the hassle to pay $4k (plus title transfer) to save that a year? Will you go instead go insane from driving a fusion vs a lux SUV 200 miles a day? Idk what insurance diff is

I also have not checked if there’s going to be a difference in insurance but going from over 300hp to under 200 has gotta be worth something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LibCrusher posted:

I also have not checked if there’s going to be a difference in insurance but going from over 300hp to under 200 has gotta be worth something.
What’s the SUV?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

No, it really doesn't. What does matter is the fusion is worth more - now THAT is worth something to the insurance company if anything is.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm looking at buying an SUV for towing (mainly cars), and I was wondering if it's better to have an auto or manual transmission for that purpose? Or does it realistically not make a difference?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Probably auto. It's going to be heavily dependent on what models and what years you're looking at.

Autos are going to be easier to drive, provide torque multiplication, and probably have more immediate things you can do to improve longevity (put a cooler on it, for god's sake).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grakkus posted:

I'm looking at buying an SUV for towing (mainly cars), and I was wondering if it's better to have an auto or manual transmission for that purpose? Or does it realistically not make a difference?

Most diesel motors are downrated in 6 speed from the domestic manufacturers these days. Auto is the way to go for towing. Even if it's not a downrated diesel, there's less shock load with an auto so it's just easier on the vehicle.

Of course this also depend on how old you are talking and what manufacturer, because as with everything there were some turds out there that you don't want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i think grakkus is in the UK

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think grakkus is in the UK

Oh, then scratch everything about "domestics" and diesels. Just go for the autobox.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I want to see a Duramax dually double cab cruising around the UK lol. You could power it based on the hateful looks you'd receive.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I want to see a Duramax dually double cab cruising around the UK lol. You could power it based on the hateful looks you'd receive.

I have (a bare minimum of) self respect so I won't be doing this! :v:

Thanks for the advice guys, auto it is. Been looking at old X5s, ML400s and the like. There was a nice old manual 4.0V8 Disco that looked good to me but if towing with a manual is going to be a problem then I'll pass on it

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 18, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don't think towing with a manual would be as big of a problem as towing with a Disco :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grakkus posted:

There was a nice old manual 4.0V8 Disco that looked good to me but if towing with a manual is going to be a problem then I'll pass on it

Do not try to tow with a goddamn 4 liter rover V8. Are you insane? They can't keep cool WITHOUT a trailer on them. You're looking at instant overheating and replacing head gaskets at every oil change.

They're also huge turds power-wise. It can barely move the massive weight of that truck on its own.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

^^^^ Thanks.

I've seen people doing it without issue here but clearly there's something I'm missing about that situation. Would an X5 with the 4.4 or an ML400CDI be fine?

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 19, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grakkus posted:

Please elaborate

I see plenty of people doing it here and it's rated to tow what I was planning :shrug:

I mean, I have one sitting in my driveway and it's the last thing I would ever choose to tow with. If it does the job for you then go for it I guess, but it's unacceptably underpowered and hilariously under-braked. Those are two things that make it a poor towing candidate in my opinion.

Then there's the Rover V8 reliability and overheating issues I mentioned.......

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I will defer to your superior knowledge, that's why I came here asking questions in the first place! :)

Motronic posted:

I mean, I have one sitting in my driveway and it's the last thing I would ever choose to tow with. If it does the job for you then go for it I guess, but it's unacceptably underpowered and hilariously under-braked. Those are two things that make it a poor towing candidate in my opinion.

Then there's the Rover V8 reliability and overheating issues I mentioned.......

I guess P38s are out as well? :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grakkus posted:

I guess P38s are out as well? :v:

Lol speaking of brake problems........that one took them to a whole new level.

I wish I knew what to suggest but you've hit on two things that actually exist in the US with the same engine choice, one of which I happen to have so like....yeah, I get it, they're awesome when they work. But it's rarely and not for towing.

If I was smart I'd leave this thing in the woods some day and just walk the gently caress away from it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 19, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

^^^ "last photo of Motronic's Disco" ^^^

Grakkus posted:

^^^^ Thanks.

I've seen people doing it without issue here but clearly there's something I'm missing about that situation. Would an X5 with the 4.4 or an ML400CDI be fine?

The X5s have glass transfer cases...at least, here in the US.

What do caravaners prefer?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Ok, I'm back with more stupid questions. So you guys convinced me not to just buy any old car and to hold out for a Dart, and after checking Facebook Marketplace there's a '72 Dart 4 door in Connecticut, about 120 miles away from me, listed for $3500 four months ago. There's a lot of Pros: The exact make and model I want, right era, even the right color. According to the ad, all it needs is brakes (I've never done them but I watched some Youtube videos, drum brakes look pretty simple) and there's a leak in the fuel system, maybe the tank or pump, so they've had it running off fuel directly to the carb.
The big Con, of course, is that I can't just go look at it, and I have to rely on Facebook messenger to try and get any info about the car. So would it be crazy to buy this car, seen only in pictures, and have it shipped up here? I know it'll cost me about $500 for shipping, 3-4 grand isn't gonna break the bank for me. Any good questions I should ask the seller other than "Tell me everything you know" or "Send me all the pics you have"?

Edit: Oh, one thing that gave me pause is that they listed it as having only 12,500 miles. That's obviously not right, and they aren't charging a mint for "never driven barn find", but they repeated it in the text of the ad: "Dodge Dart with only 12,XXX miles".

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brettbot posted:

Ok, I'm back with more stupid questions. So you guys convinced me not to just buy any old car and to hold out for a Dart, and after checking Facebook Marketplace there's a '72 Dart 4 door in Connecticut, about 120 miles away from me, listed for $3500 four months ago. There's a lot of Pros: The exact make and model I want, right era, even the right color. According to the ad, all it needs is brakes (I've never done them but I watched some Youtube videos, drum brakes look pretty simple) and there's a leak in the fuel system, maybe the tank or pump, so they've had it running off fuel directly to the carb.
The big Con, of course, is that I can't just go look at it, and I have to rely on Facebook messenger to try and get any info about the car. So would it be crazy to buy this car, seen only in pictures, and have it shipped up here? I know it'll cost me about $500 for shipping, 3-4 grand isn't gonna break the bank for me. Any good questions I should ask the seller other than "Tell me everything you know" or "Send me all the pics you have"?

Get lots of pictures of the underside of it. A 50 year old CT car may not have much of a frame left.

120 miles isn't that far. You should definitely take a day to drive down and look it over yourself if there's any way at all that you can. Take a friend and make a day of it.