Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The best Persona is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

Did that switch update ever come out? I have lost track of game news this last year.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

that game is very bad on almost every level

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

I owned the gently caress out of myself when I bought this for Wii U, barely played it, and then bought it again for Switch and barely played it again.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Stux posted:

that game is very bad on almost every level

Just like your posts. You should like it then!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Just like your posts. You should like it then!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I love Black Rain as a song

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I fell off the Wii U version of TMS and then bought the switch port thinking I'd give it another shot and fell off even earlier. RIP!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Late to the discussion, but the Persona 4 crew can actually use their Personas outside of the TV World. The second Arena game's plot has the villain basically recreate the Dark Hour in Inaba (except everything's tinged red-orange instead of green), complete with the school transforming into a Tartarus-like tower. The Investigation Team has no problems with summoning their Personas in the pseudo-Dark Hour.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Did that switch update ever come out? I have lost track of game news this last year.

It did. It's not the worst thing ever but there's reasons people don't like it beyond "it wasn't SMT and fire emblem"

Harrow posted:

They do always (or usually?) transform into friendships, but yeah I think the idea is that they start as transactional relationships.

In a way I kinda liked how horrible most of p3's slinks were, and even more transactional.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 17, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

W.T. Fits posted:

Late to the discussion, but the Persona 4 crew can actually use their Personas outside of the TV World. The second Arena game's plot has the villain basically recreate the Dark Hour in Inaba (except everything's tinged red-orange instead of green), complete with the school transforming into a Tartarus-like tower. The Investigation Team has no problems with summoning their Personas in the pseudo-Dark Hour.

Honestly I just assume the Dark Hour/TV Land/Metaverse are just the same thing that takes a new shape every time something stupid happens in the collective unconsciousness of Japan.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Honestly I just assume the Dark Hour/TV Land/Metaverse are just the same thing that takes a new shape every time something stupid happens in the collective unconsciousness of Japan.

:same: The first Arena game even has SEES mention how much the TV World feels like the Dark Hour, and I'm pretty sure I recall some of the Investigation Team commenting on how the pseudo-Dark Hour reminded them of the TV World in the second one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TMS is one of the more interesting games Atlus made in the last decade, but going down the list man is that not actually a high bar. At least they've done good work publishing and localizing other devs' games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am currently playing Devil Summoner 2 and enjoying this game quite a bit, but I am still pretty early in it.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I think that they were able to summon their personas as a side effect of the pseudo dark hour. The same reason the P3 cast in that game can still summon without their evokers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I think the reason I assumed that the TV World and Metaverse were different from the Dark Hour is that the characters don't need evokers in them, but they do during the Dark Hour (made explicit with the SEES characters in P4A). I was trying to make sense of that but I guess it could also just be "evokers were thematic for P3 and not again so the rules changed and don't think about it too hard"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Harrow posted:

I think the reason I assumed that the TV World and Metaverse were different from the Dark Hour is that the characters don't need evokers in them, but they do during the Dark Hour (made explicit with the SEES characters in P4A). I was trying to make sense of that but I guess it could also just be "evokers were thematic for P3 and not again so the rules changed and don't think about it too hard"

Actually that's because the P3 cast never actually needed the evokers, the Kirijo Group just told them that as a joke and never bothered to correct them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And they're the best in 5 because eventually you just have a button that resets them when you get hosed by rng.
:hai:

You can just end the dialogue (with an All-Out Attack) whenever you want instead of being in the "dead man walking" state where your goal is impossible and the best you can do is end neutral and forfeit the turns spent getting the Hold-Up and more than likely you'll end up pissing the demon/Shadow off more and giving them a free turn. And in Royal Morgana keeps track of Shadow personalities for you and gives hints. I'm not super fond of the negotiation (though it is the most unique feature of SMT games so I don't think they should trash it completely) but P5 has IMO the best implementation of it.

W.T. Fits posted:

:same: The first Arena game even has SEES mention how much the TV World feels like the Dark Hour, and I'm pretty sure I recall some of the Investigation Team commenting on how the pseudo-Dark Hour reminded them of the TV World in the second one.
I'd like it if they ported/remastered those games for newer consoles, because I don't own a PS3 and kinda want to play them myself. Also nobody's done LPs of them or the rhythm game. I just wish they'd sold well enough to justify anything more than being bonus characters in the ASW version of MVC.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I'd like it if they ported/remastered those games for newer consoles, because I don't own a PS3 and kinda want to play them myself. Also nobody's done LPs of them or the rhythm game. I just wish they'd sold well enough to justify anything more than being bonus characters in the ASW version of MVC.

There was an LP of the first Arena game, but I don't think it ever got added to the LP Archive site.

This Time It's Personal [Persona 4 Arena]

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've been replaying SMT Apocalypse, and I'm just about to go into the second last dungeon. I remember that there was a boss here, Odin, and I was like, "Yeah he's got Thunder Reign in this game so I'mma spend like an hour juggling my fusions so that I've got double Makarakarn and everyone's at least Resistant to Thunder with two demons flat out nullifying it, cool."

Fight starts, Odin WILL OF THUNDER

Ah gently caress I forgot

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Artelier posted:

I've been replaying SMT Apocalypse, and I'm just about to go into the second last dungeon. I remember that there was a boss here, Odin, and I was like, "Yeah he's got Thunder Reign in this game so I'mma spend like an hour juggling my fusions so that I've got double Makarakarn and everyone's at least Resistant to Thunder with two demons flat out nullifying it, cool."

Fight starts, Odin WILL OF THUNDER

Ah gently caress I forgot

Did the exact same thing on my last run. It's a pretty awesome ability if you're a boss.

But, and maybe this is my noob-ness, I never bothered having it on any of my demons. It's like, if a boss resists element, put in a different demon, don't waste an ability slot and turn using Will of whatever.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Did the exact same thing on my last run. It's a pretty awesome ability if you're a boss.

But, and maybe this is my noob-ness, I never bothered having it on any of my demons. It's like, if a boss resists element, put in a different demon, don't waste an ability slot and turn using Will of whatever.

Similarly, I never really bothered with status change skills or charge/concentrate much. Especially with how press-turn works, it just feels like a wasted turn.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only time I ever remember using break skills is DDS.

RillAkBea posted:

Similarly, I never really bothered with status change skills or charge/concentrate much. Especially with how press-turn works, it just feels like a wasted turn.

This is a mistake charge/mindcharge/concentrate is 2.5 base damage you're costing yourself turns trying to save turns

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

W.T. Fits posted:

There was an LP of the first Arena game, but I don't think it ever got added to the LP Archive site.

This Time It's Personal [Persona 4 Arena]
It's been forum archived so I can't read it. :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yeah I beat Odin no problem after reloading to account for that and putting in the amazing Imposing Stance, taking away Odin's press turns so he can't Will of Thunder, Concentrate, Thunder Reign in the same turn, but still.

RillAkBea posted:

I think Charge and Concentrate are very, very good because it's basically spend one (half turn) to do 2.5x damage with your next attack, which oftentimes is cheaper than casting 2 -dyne level skills. In Apocalypse, you got Smirk too, which grants you immunity to criticals and your weaknesses on top of it. Then there's the fact that no matter how you juggle it, you only get two turns a character tops.

So let's say my Nanashi goes second right, my team goes:
Hit weakness, gets Smirk
Nanashi - hits Weakness, gets Smirk
Buff
Hit Weakness, gets Smirk

Second round I go
Debuff, keeps Smirk
Nanashi - Concentrate, keeps Smirk
Hit Weakness, gets Smirk
Concentrate, keeps Smirk

Something like that. Sure the chances of getting Smirk aren't as high as illustrated, but this kind of loop can have you keeping Smirk through the enemy's turn, which can really help.

Status effects I don't really use them much, except against enemies who seemingly have no physical or elemental weakness, then there's a very high chance that they're susceptible to something in the status list

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Status effects are pretty great in early to mid game Persona or SMT when you can probably die from an enemy getting a bunch of stuff off. Like those fuckin' Tanks in Persona 4.

Status effects works against a surprising amount of bosses in IVA, too. Dizzy is the big one I recall, makes a boss lose a turn. Very helpful against King Frost.

And of course I third spam Concentrate and Charge all the time every time against bosses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Persona 4 especially, but also the other two modern persona games a lot of the enemies that seem to be really tanky with no weakness have a hidden weakness to status effects.

And then in classic SMT status effects like shock and charm are beyond broken.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

It's been forum archived so I can't read it. :v:

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I thought I remembered Jeffery saying something about eventually removing the need to pay for archive access, but I guess they haven't gotten around to it yet.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a mistake charge/mindcharge/concentrate is 2.5 base damage you're costing yourself turns trying to save turns

Oh seriously? For some reason I had it in my head that it was just 2.0.

I'll maybe have to try using them a bit more when I get around to playing Nocturne.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the wording of Charge/Concentrate is something like "More than doubles your next physical/magical attack" which is less specific than it should be.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I think the wording of Charge/Concentrate is something like "More than doubles your next physical/magical attack" which is less specific than it should be.

I believe it lies and only says double in Nocturne/DDS

RillAkBea posted:

Oh seriously? For some reason I had it in my head that it was just 2.0.

I'll maybe have to try using them a bit more when I get around to playing Nocturne.

Especially if you use a physical Demifiend it's incredibly useful, even in random battles when most people don't opt for it. The demi fiends health is the only party members who's matters so exchanging MP for extra damage, while saving his health can reduce his need to heal while saving him from unlucky crits, you do have to balance it against the fact that it's much cheaper to restore HP though.

Edit: Don't quote me but I think charge and it's ilk are 2.25 in nocturne/dds and 2.5 in persona

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 17, 2021

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Focus is 2.5x in Nocturne.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Focus is 2.5x in Nocturne.

I knew there was a game that it was diffrent in it turns out it's base 4 where the charge skills only boost by 1.5* Apocalypse is back to 2.5.

If that's the first game RillAkBea played that'd explain why he had such a low opinion of them

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i remember one time in 4a i had a cool phys charge gun build going on with nanashi vs bosses and then ate poo poo cause one of them (odin??) repelled phys :v:

but yeah i think charge/conc is usually 2.5x... according to the wiki's skill list for 4 it's "Boosts damage of next physical or gun attack by 150%" and stacks with the special dlc 200% skills too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sucks man, I lost six hours of progress in Persona 1 at the final dungeon getting killed by these goddamn random encounter birds, I turned off my brain and figured birds would be week to guns, hit autobattle and killed my whole party. Lesson learned never let up on save discipline.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I knew there was a game that it was diffrent in it turns out it's base 4 where the charge skills only boost by 1.5* Apocalypse is back to 2.5.

If that's the first game RillAkBea played that'd explain why he had such a low opinion of them

Funnily enough, yeah, 4 was the first mainline SMT game I played.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoc6B2bGmno

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IHl2Lte6lo
ONE MORE TOM REJECTED

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Booky posted:

according to the wiki's skill list for 4 it's "Boosts damage of next physical or gun attack by 150%"

Unless that phrasing is just bad, that's equivalent to the usual. 'boost by 150%' (damage = base damage + base damage * 1.5) evaluates to the same as 'multiply by 2.5' (damage = base damage * 2.5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah in my experience playing SMT4, Charge/Concentrate were definitely worth using, and they wouldn't have been if it was just 1.5x damage. My guess is it was just an unclear tooltip and the skill works the same in Apocalypse, just with a clearer description.