Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Gavok posted:

I played it a bit before they removed Chikara's name and roster. It feels very incomplete. Like it could be the basis for a good wrestling game if it had more manpower.

Great CAW system, though.

Oh I thought that looked familiar. I put about an hour into the Chikara version and refunded it because while the CAW was amazing, I didn't like the way matches played. Everyone felt very samey and it just wasn't what I was looking for really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNr2-RRNDI

So, uh, should I retire now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

No, you've gained a taste for blood. MDickie lets you stack bodies so high that you can't see over them

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Testekill posted:

No, you've gained a taste for blood. MDickie lets you stack bodies so high that you can't see over them

Wrestling on memorial shows of wrestlers you killed then killing more on that show was the true mdickie experience.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
There's no way to deliberately try to cripple/kill someone with a move, right? I assume it's all random.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CVagts posted:

There's no way to deliberately try to cripple/kill someone with a move, right? I assume it's all random.

they're more susceptible to injuries if their health is low but otherwise it's a total crapshoot

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Weedle posted:

they're more susceptible to injuries if their health is low but otherwise it's a total crapshoot

That guy was at full health at the beginning of the match and that was literally the first move I did on him. I even ended the match early because continuing with an injury seems like a dick move, but I guess my dude is just so powerful that he kills with one blow.

It's funny because before the first patch that fixed the glitch that wouldn't let you finish cage escape matches, I tried to win by beating my opponent with two pipes for a solid thirty minutes in an effort to murder him to no effect.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CVagts posted:

I forgot what thread I was in and got really uneasy for a hot second

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

First match in wrestling school: my opponent grabbed dynamite, threw it at me, missed, hit the announce table, caught it on fire & caused Roland Weiner to spend the rest of the match trying to beat up my opponent for chucking explosives at him. Game of the year.

idk how submissions work but other than that it's really fun

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

karmicknight posted:

I will say, that the game is pretty much still just TEW, the math is a little worse, products are a little worse to game, and in general it still has that feel of not being able to model any wrestling aside from the WWF in 1999 well, but you can figure out what works and how to make things fit what you want and you can do some fun fantasy booking bullshit if you are so inclined.

On the other hand dealing with getting new wrestlers up to speed in popularity seems to necessitate a buddy system that can turn companies into NJPW (as evidenced by your own playthrough).

As for fast-forwarding the world goes? I did that. A 10 year time skip. It was a combination of breathtakingly wonderful and absolute garbage. Mainly because the AI doesn't seem to factor time decline or stamina (because AI booked matches don't have match lengths) into match ratings so you get poo poo like this:

(Please notice their stamina ratings).
You can not get these ratings with people this badly into decline as a player. Trust me, I tried it with Barry Windham and Bam Bam Bigelow, two guys in a similar position in WWE and wound up getting <70 performances from them. As intensely fascinating as the game was I bounced off it due to 4 things.

1) Getting my rear end kicked by the AI because of this ridiculous advantage really frustrated me.
2) I was more interested in watching my developmental guys grow than anything I was doing.
3) I quickly got pissed at my road agents royally bitching me out every time I booked somebody with low stamina (which was 80% of my main event scene) in a match longer than 5 minutes.
4) Seeing a sea of people without portraits royally pisses me off.

Also fun fact: if you set character generation on the AI will pump out an endless shitload of them. I actually edited out something like 800 workers before I began the game.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 13, 2021

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i can't tell if the game playing the theme music at a slow speed to make it sound all demonic while it shows the article for you killing a guy is a bug or on purpose but :eyepop:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can speed up or slow down your theme music.
Keep

It

Hard
Core

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ChrisBTY posted:

On the other hand dealing with getting new wrestlers up to speed in popularity seems to necessitate a buddy system that can turn companies into NJPW (as evidenced by your own playthrough).

As for fast-forwarding the world goes? I did that. A 10 year time skip. It was a combination of breathtakingly wonderful and absolute garbage. Mainly because the AI doesn't seem to factor time decline or stamina (because AI booked matches don't have match lengths) into match ratings so you get poo poo like this:

*images*

(Please notice their stamina ratings).
You can not get these ratings with people this badly into decline as a player. Trust me, I tried it with Barry Windham and Bam Bam Bigelow, two guys in a similar position in WWE and wound up getting <70 performances from them. As intensely fascinating as the game was I bounced off it due to 4 things.

1) Getting my rear end kicked by the AI because of this ridiculous advantage really frustrated me.
2) I was more interested in watching my developmental guys grow than anything I was doing.
3) I quickly got pissed at my road agents royally bitching me out every time I booked somebody with low stamina (which was 80% of my main event scene) in a match longer than 5 minutes.
4) Seeing a sea of people without portraits royally pisses me off.

Also fun fact: if you set character generation on the AI will pump out an endless shitload of them. I actually edited out something like 800 workers before I began the game.
Yeah that match length loophole sounds like a major flaw, is it one of the things they've refused to fix?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It would be so easy to fix, too. Give each product (hidden) recommended match lengths only the AI uses again. Pretty sure converting the necessary AI logic from 16 to 20 would be trivial.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Has this AI bug been posted on the Grey Dog Software forums? Ryland is on there quite a bit so it'd be relatively easy to make him aware of it and how it potentially ruins the game.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

You can speed up or slow down your theme music.
Keep

It

Hard
Core

i know about that feature, but i don't think it's supposed to affect the menu music

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i can't tell if the game playing the theme music at a slow speed to make it sound all demonic while it shows the article for you killing a guy is a bug or on purpose but :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehT1E2u-ACs

I didn't even process the guy's name until I uploaded the video. The only way it could have been better/worse is if it was Crispin Noir.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehT1E2u-ACs

I didn't even process the guy's name until I uploaded the video. The only way it could have been better/worse is if it was Crispin Noir.

that, like so much else in mdickie's wrestling games, is loving amazing

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So instead of my usual TEW streaming, since it would cut into the AEW tournament, I'm going to stream said tournament in Fire Pro.

https://www.twitch.tv/drkarmicknight

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So I picked up wrestling empire, and man is that game weird

I made it to fake aew that’s booked by fake Paul heyman. I support unionization and mysteriously the next week I’m put in the rear end end of a handicap match (even though I’m a heel). I get the poo poo kicked out me and lose, and of course the ref decides we need to restart the match, so I get the poo poo kicked out of me some more.

The next week I’m asked to be emergency ref, and accidentally gently caress over fake daniel Bryan by fast counting his partner like 30 seconds into the match since I didn’t know how the ref controls work. After the match he swears vengeance on me. Despite valiantly persevering against 2 opponents for 15 minutes after getting screwed by the ref, this match turns daniel Bryan heel.

The next week is a ppv, and I’m put in a cage match against heyman. Midway through Daniel Bryan runs in and starts beating us both up. Everytime Bryan gets his hands on my heyman interrupts it and saves me. The Bryan goes for a pin and somehow wins the one on one cage match I was having with heyman :psyduck:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So I picked up wrestling empire, and man is that game weird

I made it to fake aew that’s booked by fake Paul heyman. I support unionization and mysteriously the next week I’m put in the rear end end of a handicap match (even though I’m a heel). I get the poo poo kicked out me and lose, and of course the ref decides we need to restart the match, so I get the poo poo kicked out of me some more.

The next week I’m asked to be emergency ref, and accidentally gently caress over fake daniel Bryan by fast counting his partner like 30 seconds into the match since I didn’t know how the ref controls work. After the match he swears vengeance on me. Despite valiantly persevering against 2 opponents for 15 minutes after getting screwed by the ref, this match turns daniel Bryan heel.

The next week is a ppv, and I’m put in a cage match against heyman. Midway through Daniel Bryan runs in and starts beating us both up. Everytime Bryan gets his hands on my heyman interrupts it and saves me. The Bryan goes for a pin and somehow wins the one on one cage match I was having with heyman :psyduck:

Probably the most realistic wrestling game, tbh.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

frankenfreak posted:

It would be so easy to fix, too. Give each product (hidden) recommended match lengths only the AI uses again. Pretty sure converting the necessary AI logic from 16 to 20 would be trivial.

I wonder if load times would be a factor to consider. Because if you're not doing something silly like simming 10 years I wonder how important it really is since on the short haul it really doesn't matter.
Either way; one of the big things with TEW 2020 was a massive overcorrection in the viability of veteran performers, especially on the AI side. In 2016 you practically had to dumpster people the second they showed signs of decline. In 2020 they seem to be able to keep going until their lungs die.(And beyond if you're the AI).

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
https://twitter.com/TrueAntitonic/status/1362679109059416064

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I didn't see this posted, so Kingiest of the Ringiest Round 2: WCW vs. nWo: World Tour

This one gets frustrating because the AI refuses to go for strong grapples most of the time when in special mode. This leads to a hilarious finish in the semis and a fitting finale.

Kingiest of the Ringiest Round 3: WWE 2K14

A lot of huge names in this one. Absolutely worth watching just for the finals. Holy loving poo poo.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Gavok posted:

I didn't see this posted, so Kingiest of the Ringiest Round 2: WCW vs. nWo: World Tour

This one gets frustrating because the AI refuses to go for strong grapples most of the time when in special mode. This leads to a hilarious finish in the semis and a fitting finale.

Kingiest of the Ringiest Round 3: WWE 2K14

A lot of huge names in this one. Absolutely worth watching just for the finals. Holy loving poo poo.

Yeah, that ending to the 2k14 finals was fantastic. I'm in tears.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 21, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I couldn't figure out how to win a first blood match so I had to look it up. Found out you need to target the head with weapons, so for the next 10 minutes I went to town on my downed opponents with a metal bar.

Wrestling empire is wild

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

I couldn't figure out how to win a first blood match so I had to look it up. Found out you need to target the head with weapons, so for the next 10 minutes I went to town on my downed opponents with a metal bar.

Wrestling empire is wild

Its also a thing where, at least in Wrestling Revolution 3d, if the damaged/bloody face texture showed up that was first blood (as long as the ref verified it on a downed opponent). Watching Empire in an earlier build, that wouldn't happen even with the prerequisite damage.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://www.ign.com/articles/aew-console-game-aiming-for-release-in-about-a-year-says-kenny-omega

AEW console game likely for q1 2022, and will allow for post launch roster updates

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So people are nominating a video game match for MotY in that thread?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Watch the match. I linked it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Senerio posted:

Watch the match. I linked it.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Is there any way to know if you are supposed to lose? I hate when the ref just goes "Aw no, imma restart" after i drop some doofus on their head for 8 minutes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Is there any way to know if you are supposed to lose? I hate when the ref just goes "Aw no, imma restart" after i drop some doofus on their head for 8 minutes

I normally just re pin the guy right away. If they don't tell me to throw the match why would I? (I probably wouldn't throw anyway)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beer_Suitcase posted:

That just seems to happen at random. Unless your opponent goes "I'll pay you to take a dive" or you're working as enhancement talent I don't think there's any match you're necessarily "supposed" to lose. Also being enhancement talent sucks because you only get paid if you don't win but if you lose you only get half. The solution is to go for draws which pay out in full but waiting 10 minutes for a time-out draw is annoying :v:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I did a thing in Fire Pro. I'm showing it everywhere and you can't stop me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

IGgy IGsen posted:

That's rad.

Got links? I want itttt

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

IGgy IGsen posted:

:hellyeah:

that's the coolest poo poo ever.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

:thatsrad:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Artelier posted:

That's rad.

Got links? I want itttt

I uploaded it here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2405826296

It requires mods to properly work. And you'll need a sprite for the flying cloth. The assets I used are in a link in the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That's sick. I haven't done much with more than the basic mods, but I may need to get this working.