Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really want to like Gamepass but I just don’t. The windows store sucks so goddamn bad and it makes me never actually use it.
Trying to play PSO2 through it was a huge pain, even with the third party tweaker thing.

Leal posted:

My only experience was PSO2, where it:

Installed the game four times. I don't know how or why, it just DID
Besides making windows alert me that the drive was completely full, the game still wasn't playable
Oh and it installed these copies of the game onto a folder that I did not have permission to even look into
I had to download a program that'll allow me to look into this folder and more importantly, delete all the copies of the game

E: forgot to mention, when I clicked uninstall it only uninstalled the launcher for the game, not any of the game assets itself
:hmmyes: The fact that when (not if) something goes wrong you'll likely end up with a bunch of unusuable files taking up space in somewhere you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to even get at to delete, let alone do anything to fix the problem, is the biggest issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gamepass owns, I wanted to try these games but not anywhere near enough to buy them outright. I'll play them for a while and if I like them I would consider purchasing them. Yes there were issues with PSO2 and yes it was a colossal pain in the rear end to fix but have used gamepass for years now and that was the only time anything remotely like that has happened to me. You don't have to use the Windows Store, you use the xbox app which organizes gamepass games separately from windows store games and lets you buy them through there if you really wanted to.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Unless it's an mmo or games as service thing I never replay games. Owning them isn't that big of a deal to me. I've also never had an issue with gamepass not working but maybe I'm in the minority.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
OK sorry they went an released another bundle and I went and did what I do again.

Neurovoider
0?HH8-?02K?-?J0ZG
just a bunch of lucky numbers

Sundered: Eldritch Edition
06Z3D-AH??E-XR?RF
Good Game Guys (actually I don't know I haven't played I just buy things...twice)

Epistory - Typing Chronicles
026?H-DF977-QXG?N
the starting titular letter

Chroma Squad
00L62-8GL2?-YHCF?
or should i say chroma squaDD

Dead in Vinland
2B4?I-H5MK?-EZ5XR
how Quotidian (again not a judgment haven't actually played)

Sigma Theory: Global Cold War
4?GA9-DCLI0-RKXT8
wow no doubles weird, anyway no sigmas but there was a zeta

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

graventy posted:

Dead in Vinland
2B4?I-H5MK?-EZ5XR
how Quotidian (again not a judgment haven't actually played)

cheers!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

awesmoe posted:

how so? im struggling to get worked up about it - if you want them permanently you can buy them.

I got 5 months of game pass free with a CPU and the only thing I was interested in was Metro: Exodous, which was removed 3 days after my subscription started.

It's great for trying things I'd never bother buying, especially since those sorts of games are almost exclusively what the service offers. It turns out that owning ever more games is a pretty weird point of stress in my life that makes me feel obligated to play them, and by not actually buying a game and avoiding that sense of obligation I am apparently a lot more likely to actually play something instead of endlessly browsing my library thinking "I should play that at some point"

That said I have no idea why I'm still paying for game pass :wtc:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gamepass has STREETS OF RAGE!!! which everyone should be playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Det_no posted:

The fact that games are regularly removed from gamepass is awful.

Barring a bad instance like treat's, games are up on GamePass for months or sometimes years now depending on the agreement Microsoft has with the dev/publisher. Not perfect but you have often like half a year to play something once it gets added, very often longer.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

E: wrong thread

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finally canceled my Humble Choice classic subscription. I knew for some time the only reason I kept pausing it was the FOMO but I at last decided it's just not worth it for me. I prefer buying things that I want to play regardless of price or sale instead of getting a bunch of random titles of which I'm usually only interested in like one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when you went to cancel do they have special "are you really sure" pages beyond the normal ones where they play up the fact that its something you cant get back to really scare you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orv posted:

Barring a bad instance like treat's, games are up on GamePass for months or sometimes years now depending on the agreement Microsoft has with the dev/publisher. Not perfect but you have often like half a year to play something once it gets added, very often longer.

Also unlike say Netflix or Amazon Prime you don't have to rely on third parties reporting on licensing deals to find out what's coming and going, xbox just tells you. It even has stuff that pops up and tells you games if games you have installed are leaving soon. Unless you're just 100% flat opposed to not owning every single game you ever play (guess they weren't a fan of game rentals either?) it's a great service that currently has a lot of value.

If they stop dumping money into it or third parties start pulling their games to try their own game sub service a la what's happened to Netflix then yeah it's gonna get shittier.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

star traders: frontiers, brilliant 40k/dune style spaceship management game with lots of politics and space battlin'

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game Hellish Quart is on the top sellers list, looks like a 3d bushido blade fighting game. I actually have fond memories of playing that terrible Deadliest Warrior game way back when and I'm getting similar vibes from this game. Reviews are surprisingly positive, I watched the trailer and laughed at how they look waving the swords around real fast and assumed it would be relentlessly poo poo on in the reviews. Maybe it's better in game :shrug:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sebmojo posted:

star traders: frontiers, brilliant 40k/dune style spaceship management game with lots of politics and space battlin'

Hell yeah! Star Traders owns. Every time I open that game it consumes the rest of the month in my gaming time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

aw crap now you got me thinking about it again too :argh:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

explosivo posted:

This game Hellish Quart is on the top sellers list, looks like a 3d bushido blade fighting game. I actually have fond memories of playing that terrible Deadliest Warrior game way back when and I'm getting similar vibes from this game. Reviews are surprisingly positive, I watched the trailer and laughed at how they look waving the swords around real fast and assumed it would be relentlessly poo poo on in the reviews. Maybe it's better in game :shrug:

There's a demo available, I've downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Star traders has a good Android port as well

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PlushCow posted:

There's a demo available, I've downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

I played a bit of it, it's actually pretty awesome. Definitely got a Deadliest Warrior/Bushido Blade feel to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yakuza 2: not gonna lie, I miss Majima Everywhere. The streets feel kind of empty without him.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

What are some good tactical games for just keyboard + laptop touchpad?

I.e. mouse clicking is ok, but having to drag the mouse or having to use the righter mouse button is really annoying. Keyboard only games are fine as well of course. Games that require fast mouse movement are obviously not ok either.

Examples of games I like that are perfectly playable: slay the spire (with the keyboard shortcut mod), monster train (keyboard shortcuts), football tactics and glory (doable with just touchpad), into the breach, emulator of old games (ie chrono trigger, fire emblem).

Examples of games I like that don't work well without mouse: DemonCrawl (too much right clicking), Desperados III, troubleshooter (way too much mouse clicking in general), trials of fire (dragging cards is a pain).

I have been gaming exclusively on a thinkpad for a few years, I use a mouse with mine and can't imagine life without one so I can't help with that side of it, but I will give a solid recommendation for cloud gaming services like GeForce Now (limited library but inexpensive) or Shadow (no limitations on what you can play/do with it, install mods or whatever all you want, it's just a cloud-based gaming PC that you have exclusive access to, but on the more expensive end of the spectrum for these services). That way you're only limited by the mouse thing and not by hardware specs too :shrug:

I've been playing tons of Total Warhammer 2 via Shadow lately which would be just fine with a touchpad, i think you can rebind right click stuff to e.g. alt+left click

Also shoutout to Factorio which has minor click+drag elements but you can instead click+wasd to move your character, which moves your screen/mouse pointer too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 17, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yakuza 2: not gonna lie, I miss Majima Everywhere. The streets feel kind of empty without him.

Majima Everywhere should be an unlockable feature in every game. Yes I said every game, not every Yakuza game. :colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefensiveBriefEmeraldtreeskink-mobile.mp4

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Dragon Quest 11 and really enjoyed it. First JRPG I've played since I think Lost Odyssey on the 360. Anything recommended on Steam?

Alternatively, I've never actually played Chrono Trigger and have been meaning to. Is the steam version a good enough port for $15?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dom is Here posted:

I just finished Dragon Quest 11 and really enjoyed it. First JRPG I've played since I think Lost Odyssey on the 360. Anything recommended on Steam?

Alternatively, I've never actually played Chrono Trigger and have been meaning to. Is the steam version a good enough port for $15?

Yes! The port was terrible when it launched, but they updated it when everyone complained/review bombed, and it's really good now. Has all the PS1 cutscenes without the PS1 load times, and the extras from the DS port.

For other JRPGs, I really liked Octopath Traveler as another throwback, and I've heard good things about the Atelier games, but haven't played them myself. Particularly the latest trilogy, the Dusk ones, I think? Also, you should definitely check out the Trails in the Sky series, it's extremely long but extremely good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yakuza 7 is the best JRPG I’ve ever played.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yakuza 7 is the best JRPG I’ve ever played.

Oh duh, yes, of course, Yakuza 7 is excellent, and actually the battle system is very similar to DQXI.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dom is Here posted:

If you're after Dragon Quest design and story telling more than the JRPG elements, then Dragon Quest Builders 2 is supposed to be flawed but worthwhile if you really like Dragon Quest.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dom is Here posted:

If you've never tried it and can tolerate quake-3-era 3d and jank, Anachronox is very much worth the $1 it regularly goes on sale for. Shame about the rest of the trilogy, though...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dom is Here posted:

Please play Chrono Trigger, it is literally my favorite game of all time and a top ten rpg period. As the other poster said the steam port sucked at launch but is good now. Just be sure you play with original graphics setting and not the smoothed out stuff with the super weird tiling.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Dom is Here posted:

If you're looking for old school games, I just played FF9 on Steam and had fun with that: no problems with the port that I could see. Has a lot of nice built-in boosters, from simple things like a switch to speed boost (to skip through long animations and such, as well as grinding faster) and turning random encounters on/off, to more complex cheat codes like infinite gil or unlocking all abilities immediately. It's not a perfect fix, but the boosters really helped my impatient self get through some of the archaic design to get to the cool story bits.

Beating FF9 did make me want to consider going back to play FF6, but man, looking at it on Steam gives a really bad impression, what with the really ugly mobile-looking HUD and art. Is there a way to get around that or something? I'm assuming there are mods?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dom is Here posted:

Trails in the Sky is a good trilogy that comes with the caveat that it is a VERY slow burn.. you start out just investigating local crimes and doing small town justice and then things build over time. Solid grid-based battle system and I think the mix of CG sprites and PS2-era 3D is charming.

There's the remaster of Grandia II, which is not my favorite Grandia game but it's solid.. and the Grandia battle system is just great in general (the main draw is being able to interrupt enemies and keep them from attacking).

There's Persona 4 if you want to anime super hardcore while playing a good game (don't play the Neptunia series as that is anime super hardcore while playing a bad game)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FutureCop posted:

Beating FF9 did make me want to consider going back to play FF6, but man, looking at it on Steam gives a really bad impression, what with the really ugly mobile-looking HUD and art. Is there a way to get around that or something? I'm assuming there are mods?

I'm hesitant to suggest piracy, but if the only legal way to play (outside of finding an ancient SNES and cartridge on ebay, lol good luck) is that abomination on Steam, then I'd say just go emulate it. Really.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Begemot posted:

Oh duh, yes, of course, Yakuza 7 is excellent, and actually the battle system is very similar to DQXI.
It's called Like A Dragon for more than one reason.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dom is Here posted:

I love DQ11 a lot and it makes me really happy to hear about someone enjoying it as their first JRPG in a while. Definitely not gonna talk you out of the classics, and Chrono Trigger holds up great, but if you're interested in something else that mixes classic RPG mechanics with modern design conveniences, Yakuza: Like A Dragon may be a great fit for you.

edit: Oh duh and I forgot Persona 4 got a Steam port. Structure is pretty different and may take some getting used to but it's an excellent game

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I've also heard good things about Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete and it's $17 right now. Anyone have impressions?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stickman posted:

I've also heard good things about Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete and it's $17 right now. Anyone have impressions?

It’s not bad but it has major JRPG slow start problems. I liked it but wish it would have gotten to the fun stuff a bit faster.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stickman posted:

Oh yeah, I played that. It's pretty decent, very similar to the mainline SMT games in a lot of ways. You collect digimon and fuse them together with abandon to make lots of different, new digimon. And then de-evolve them to unlock different possibilities. The combat system is good, if a little slow sometimes. The plot is okay, not as compelling as P4, but it has some fun characters and twists.

It's kind of hard to recommend now that Persona 4 is actually on steam, though. I'd say that if you have any pre-existing affection for Digimon, as a franchise, then it's an easy recommendation, but otherwise, there are better options out there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a digimon game, so your enjoyment will depend mostly on how much you like breaking rpg systems over your knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thanks! I don't really know anything about the Digimon franchise so I'll give P4 a go first.