Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ahh good points, thanks guys. Just saw some reduced from an online shop I was ordering from anyway, so I'll have a think about whether I really need some thinner paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i've noticed some vallejo paints only come in model air and not model color, which is weird. i have their german red brown surface primer and wanted the regular paint too - could only find it in VMA

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Basically done. Might try and find a Tzeentch decal and put it on the tabard

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

TheBigAristotle posted:

Basically done. Might try and find a Tzeentch decal and put it on the tabard

Nice, that turned out really cool

Finished up this goblin smashing a skeleton this weekend.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I prefer air paints even for brushwork personally, though it is true that you'd get more mileage out of thinning your own.

I've never had a situation where I wanted paint *thicker* than the air versions, and usually I still thin them down even a little bit more. I do also have an airbrush though so a big part of is it that I like having paints that I can use to switch back and forth between airbrush / brush work with minimal tinkering for paint consistency / flow, etc.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

jesus WEP posted:

i've noticed some vallejo paints only come in model air and not model color, which is weird. i have their german red brown surface primer and wanted the regular paint too - could only find it in VMA

Is “German Red Brown Surface Primer” an actual primer or a paint matching the color of a real world primer?
If it’s a primer it would make sense to not be in the colors line because why would you want thicker primer. But if it’s a paint, then I dunno...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Is “German Red Brown Surface Primer” an actual primer or a paint matching the color of a real world primer?
If it’s a primer it would make sense to not be in the colors line because why would you want thicker primer. But if it’s a paint, then I dunno...
i meant they have a surface primer called red brown and a very similarly coloured paint called German red brown. Which exists in their model air range but not model color

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have got another two divisions on their bases.

All figures are from Stonewallfigures.co.uk, and were pre-painted. 19 pounds per battalion, 6 pounds per gun.

Units from left to right are: Portuguese Line Infantry, British Guard Infantry, British Light Infantry, Royal Artillery 9 pounder, 6 pounder x3, Royal Horse Artillery 6 pounder, Portuguese 6 pounder, British Dragoons.

I did a grey rock base, then yellow dry brush and then a dark green dry-brush/paint. I tried to cover up the areas that didn't have rocks on them with the dark green.

I did a darker green this time, which I think works better than the previous batch.

I still need to use a wash on everything, do some touch ups like red on the artillery torches, glue on grass tuffs, put black on the end of guns and paint the bases edge (maybe do a dark brown) and the never yet done flags.

I have a number of citadel washes (all the main colours) and the army painter wash collection. I used Nuln Oil on the first group you can see pictures of, but I think it's way to dark. I think I'll maybe use Army Painter Light Tone wash? Or Agrash Eathshade? Or a blue/red/brown/green citadel washes based on the unit's primary colour?

I really should have spray painted the bases first before putting anything on them - maybe a very dark green?

So I need some advice if anyone has an opinion or experience:

What colour should I paint the bases before putting stuff on them?
What colour should the base edges be?
What colour(s?) wash should I use?

Also I left my pot of Citadel Chaos Black open and now it's pretty much useless. So there's that.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 15, 2021

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skails posted:

This is cool as hell.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Might even go so far as to say it owns bones

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Haven't had any experience with them specifically but ugh buying brushes online is such a shitshow. I'm not surprised that some underpaid / overworked Amazon stocker just tosses a brush in a box and sends it down the line but there's not really an excuse for an actual art store not knowing how to package brushes.

So far the only place I've bought a brush from online that I would ever do business with again is Rosemary and Co. Everywhere else has either just chucked them in a box or a padded envelope and usually doesn't even put a ferrule cap on it (not that it would ever stay on anyway but at least the thought would count a little bit).

Hopefully they get you sorted out - I'd definitely be treating a brush like like as receiving damaged goods.

I just bought some Rosemarys and they really do do a good job of packaging them. I had been using a bit more upmarket brushes but it seems like no matter who I bought them from they do a poo poo job of packaging them. Kind of surprising that legit art supply businesses wouldn't know how to ship a drat paint brush but apparently that's where we're at.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So I’ve been working on my Thousand Sons Helbrute, which is a model I’ve been dying to get a hold of for quite some time. It hasn’t disappointed as it’s a very fun model to work with, and as you would expect I have magnetised the absolute poo poo out of it. It’s also the easiest model I’ve magnetised so anyone thinking of doing it should not feel intimidated.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to prime coat the limbs/weapons before a severe cold snap hit where I live, so I’ve managed to finish and base the body but haven’t even started any of its attachments.

Attaching some of his unpainted weapon choices gives a good idea of how it will look once completely finished.

So far definitely one of my favourite models to build and paint by some margin.

Love it dude, welcome to the thousand Sons Helbrute club. Still working on my tanks, but did fully finish and base my magnetized helbrute. Even tried weathering on the feet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Tried my hand at green stuff for the first time. It's fun and easy! My Space Wolf Sargeant wasn't looking very... Wolfy, so I threw a pelt on his back. Much better now I think.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also finished up more of my Novokh Necrons. 19 warriors and a Canoptek Reanimator done today :shepface:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Tried my hand at green stuff for the first time. It's fun and easy! My Space Wolf Sargeant wasn't looking very... Wolfy, so I threw a pelt on his back. Much better now I think.

Hell yeah!

I tried greenstuff a while ago and it was just such a pain to work with, I might have just had a bad brand (kneaditite) of it though or something. I've only ever used liquid greenstuff and it's just for gap filling though.

But good work on that. I spy some drybrushed white frost on there

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Green stuff is all literally made by one company and resold under different brands.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yeah!

I tried greenstuff a while ago and it was just such a pain to work with, I might have just had a bad brand (kneaditite) of it though or something. I've only ever used liquid greenstuff and it's just for gap filling though.

But good work on that. I spy some drybrushed white frost on there

Eej posted:

Green stuff is all literally made by one company and resold under different brands.

I'm fond of it's ability to stick to literally anything. That said, I'd recommend anyone unhappy with it try some alternatives. Most kneadable two-part epoxies are significantly less sticky and have better overall working properties.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yesterday was the first day in a while where there was no snow on the ground and no form of water was falling from the sky in bits, so I dashed out to spray varnish a bunch of stuff (and also prime everything I could lay hands on that needed it). All Malifaux 2e/3e plastics.

Some Will O' The Wisps that I painted a couple of weeks back but couldnt apply water to the bases until they were varnished. I have no idea how the guy on the left is supposed to attach securely to a flat base (and from the looks of a google image search, neither does anyone else) so I made him a little swamp dock to be vaulting over.

Ryle Hoffman.

Marlena Webster.

Then this weekend has been a Jack Daw crew. Ebay rescue, but only one notable construction gently caress up between them that I could find.

Jack Daw. Deliberately based him differently from his crew because as a crew leader the model is fine, but doesnt exactly stand out much on his own.

Lady Ligeia.

Montresor

The Guilty. I usually like the whole Malifaux Aesthetic in general, but I have to admit I'm not fond of these models. Particularly the dismembered guy on the cross feels very "doodle in the margin of a goth teenagers maths homework". If I'd had these new I'd have probably painted the guy in the electric chair as a sub assembly because trying to paint the trousers through the side of the chair was annoying as hell. The guy on the gurney is my favourite of the three, or at least the one of the three I didn't actively dislike by the time I was done with them. I'm very much not confident that he's securely fastened on that base if you were to pick him up by the figure tbh...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Skails posted:

Ace work

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Completed a 10 man Primaris Intercessor Fortis Kill Team today after starting them on January 1st.

I wanted to get better at painting faces, so I decided I'd make as many of my Deathwatch helmetless as possible. Like some kind of hockey team from the 60's.

Marcus Valeo of the Imperial Fists and Numitor Sullo of the Ultramarines

Everac Starkbrow of the Space Wolves and Armaros Astovun of the Dark Angels

Constanatus Morressius of the Doom Eagles and Solaro Torvaec of the Raven Guard

Marellen The Reclaimed of the Stormcast Eternals and Orros Feirros of the Iron Hands

Sol Ko'tan of the Salamanders and Leonael Joro of the Blood Swords

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

Completed a 10 man Primaris Intercessor Fortis Kill Team today after starting them on January 1st.

I wanted to get better at painting faces, so I decided I'd make as many of my Deathwatch helmetless as possible. Like some kind of hockey team from the 60's.

Marcus Valeo of the Imperial Fists and Numitor Sullo of the Ultramarines

Everac Starkbrow of the Space Wolves and Armaros Astovun of the Dark Angels

Constanatus Morressius of the Doom Eagles and Solaro Torvaec of the Raven Guard

Marellen The Reclaimed of the Stormcast Eternals and Orros Feirros of the Iron Hands

Sol Ko'tan of the Salamanders and Leonael Joro of the Blood Swords

These look INCREDIBLE! You nailed Marellen especially

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I really like the emo raven guard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hey, I got pointed here for advice after I posted some heroforge color-printed minis in the D&D thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877675&pagenumber=561#post512564395).

Suggestion was that since the metallic color didn't really print effectively, I could maybe touch it up with a metallic sharpie. I am *bad* at painting (fumble-fingered and my eyes aren't that great any more either). Is there a way I could give the armor on the figures a brassy sheen without much risk?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey, I got pointed here for advice after I posted some heroforge color-printed minis in the D&D thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877675&pagenumber=561#post512564395).

Suggestion was that since the metallic color didn't really print effectively, I could maybe touch it up with a metallic sharpie. I am *bad* at painting (fumble-fingered and my eyes aren't that great any more either). Is there a way I could give the armor on the figures a brassy sheen without much risk?

Hey man! Nice to see you here from the PoE thread :)

I think what would work best is a spray can. You'll just need to mask the appropriate parts (it's very easy with the proper hobby tools, which aren't expensive).

But to be honest, if all you're going for is making some armor metallic, you'd be doing just fine with a brush and generic hobby paint. It's much easier than it looks, especially for what you want to do. And you could still mask.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

After ruthlessly batchpainting a army over the past month I thought I'd slow down on a model and consciously try new things.

Used a lot of glazing on the armor, and tried doing a worn leather texture on the boots.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Furism posted:

I think what would work best is a spray can. You'll just need to mask the appropriate parts (it's very easy with the proper hobby tools, which aren't expensive).

But to be honest, if all you're going for is making some armor metallic, you'd be doing just fine with a brush and generic hobby paint. It's much easier than it looks, especially for what you want to do. And you could still mask.

I was wondering what thread I knew that name/avatar from :v:

Agreed that you should just spend the $10 combined on a medium/smaller hobby brush and a pot of silver paint.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

A brush probably won't work for me. I've tried brush painting miniatures before and like I said I'm *bad* at it. Paint went everywhere. I get eyestrain and the brush quivers.

What about like a translucent but "shiny" clearcoat type thing? I could mask the horse and the head, the nonmetal parts, with masking tape and just spray everything else. Or maybe a very lightly shiny translucent spray coat I could just spray over everything?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A brush probably won't work for me. I've tried brush painting miniatures before and like I said I'm *bad* at it. Paint went everywhere. I get eyestrain and the brush quivers.

What about like a translucent but "shiny" clearcoat type thing? I could mask the horse and the head, the nonmetal parts, with masking tape and just spray everything else. Or maybe a very lightly shiny translucent spray coat I could just spray over everything?

The product you are thinking of is "Gloss Varnish", or for the slightly shiny version "Satin Varnish". If you just want it shinier, that will work. You can buy a spray can or a wee pot and a paintbrush. Me I'd lean towards that way for what you want to do, because for me "put it with a paintbrush on everything apart from the head, plume, and horse" seems easier than "mask the skin and horse then spray it on", but I guess you could just cover the horse in whitetack or something. But either way will work. You can also get matt varnish and matt anything you made glossy by accident matt again, if "spray can the whole thing glossy, then matt the skin and horse back down again" seems easier.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Eh, he's a (conquest) paladin, he can be all over glossy, it's his aura.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Eh, he's a (conquest) paladin, he can be all over glossy, it's his aura.

If you go over him entirely with gloss varnish it will probably look more like he's covered in a layer of mucous, tbh. Do you have any friends who paint minis? If all you want is the metal parts on two minis covered with a single coat of metallic paint that's probably something a middling painter could manage in ten or fifteen minutes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Moon Monster posted:

If you go over him entirely with gloss varnish it will probably look more like he's covered in a layer of mucous, tbh. Do you have any friends who paint minis? If all you want is the metal parts on two minis covered with a single coat of metallic paint that's probably something a middling painter could manage in ten or fifteen minutes.

Well, he did get swallowed by a gelatinous cube last session . . .

Good call, I might know a guy. Thanks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just wanted to post some WIP of my Tamiya t-34/76. it's my first time painting a vehicle and using an airbrush so it has definitely been a learning experience, but im pleased with the results so far. In true Soviet fashion I'm planning on building several more of these in various configurations. As for this one, I still need to finish the running gear/tracks and get some kind of words on the side of the turret. I'd also like to add some better defined rust but i worry i've already junked it up too much.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 17, 2021

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

You can absolutely use a metallic sharpie, paint marker, etc. You can mask off parts of it with silly putty if you're nervous about coloring something you shouldn't. Just know that markers will fade after handling enough, and paint markers should be okay for a while, but might still come off some without spraying primer first.

There is brushable primer, but that ventures into painting territory.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's always this stuff:

https://ak-interactive.com/product-category/paints/true-metal-paints/

You can apply it with anything, but a q-tip would probably be best. As an added bonus you can polish/buff it for even more shine.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Geisladisk posted:

After ruthlessly batchpainting a army over the past month I thought I'd slow down on a model and consciously try new things.

Used a lot of glazing on the armor, and tried doing a worn leather texture on the boots.

Honestly my eyes went to the boots without even reading what you wrote, so the attention you put into them shows. They read like leather to me, so I think you did it with the texture. I'm sure if you did it a few more times you'd have it down.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How the gently caress do people get straight lines on their swords etc? Maybe I just need to cut out the coffee.

I tried glazing some blends for the first time (on the blade), and I'm not totally happy, SUPER not happy with the edge highlight lines. But... I do love my Novokh/Szarekh mashup scheme. Proper deathly and grimy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For straight lines: Controlled breathing, setting both hands on my desk, going nice and slow, using a very sharp brush, and practice. Also knowing that I can try a few times to get it right.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Also look into liner or rigger brushes - they're what people use to paint really long, fine lines like the rigging in sailboats. Basically a small number of very long, flexible bristles that are perfect for steady lines in a single stroke.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
When edge highlighting you want to use the edge of the brush not the tip whenever possible, will make it much easier to keep it both following the edge and equal width the whole line.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

These look INCREDIBLE! You nailed Marellen especially

MRLOLAST posted:

I really like the emo raven guard.

Thanks guys. The Stormcast and Emo Marine are my faves too. :hfive:

Related: I just got a message on Twitter from Nick that the Warhammer Community dudes are going to feature my Deathwatch Kill Team boys on their next weekly Hobby Roundup! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cinara posted:

When edge highlighting you want to use the edge of the brush not the tip whenever possible, will make it much easier to keep it both following the edge and equal width the whole line.

This is definitely good advice for sharp edges. On stuff like the line down the center of sword blades I could never get it to work though - the surface is just too broad / shallow and you either get an overly thick line or risk the tip of the brush marking up the blade. Might just need to practice it more, though.