Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Street Horrrsing posted:

Given what you've been picking up recently, CoB might come across as a lesser offering. It's okay, it's perfectly fine but all you're doing is picking up pieces one turn and placing them the next, all mitigated by the dice rolled each turn. Every piece placed triggers some special effect or endgame scoring condition but it doesn't have a lot of strategic depth. I was actually surprised how highly it's placed on the BGG top 100 after giving it a spin.

I just like how the game flows, it's a constant stream of having to improvise something that works based around the tile draws and your crappy rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I like eklund because his games all too often reveal how horseshit his philosophy is in spite of his absolute control over the design. pax porfiriana immediately comes to mind

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Littlefinger posted:

Let me know if this question is too much of a :can: for the thread, but these recent fiascos got me wondering:

Besides Eklund, are there any missing stairs in board game design one should be aware of before spending money on their games?
Apparently Vital Lacerda is a bit of a Christopher Columbus apologist

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

also his screed back to back with wehrle's essay in John Company was hilarious

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have thoughts on Istanbul vs Istanbul big box? Worth the additional $ and rules?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Istanbul vs Istanbul big box? Worth the additional $ and rules?

Haven't played the big box version but I've got the base game + 2 expacs (in the base game box).

I really like it but I wouldn't always play with both expansions (especially in 2P, since the 5x5 board is huge).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Littlefinger posted:

Besides Eklund, are there any missing stairs in board game design one should be aware of before spending money on their games?

Daniele Tascini also recently did a racism, although I dunno if you counted him as part of the recent events.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GrandpaPants posted:

Daniele Tascini also recently did a racism, although I dunno if you counted him as part of the recent events.

Tascini is giving 15% of his profits to BLM style organizations so I'm good with him. Vital certainly has Columbus sympathies but there's been a lot worse in this hobby.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Tascini is giving 15% of his profits to BLM style organizations so I'm good with him.

I thought this was more his publishers making donations on 'his behalf' rather than Tascini himself, or have I misread that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He put out a new statement reflecting on everything and making efforts to actually do better

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Finally got to play Pan Am today. That's a thoroughly enjoyable game! I feel like the mechanics go together well and the random events and uncertainty around what destination and directive cards will be add enough to keep it interesting without making it into just a game of chance.

I feel like it's advantageous to play as lean as possible, since extra destination cards and planes are worthless in the end. The game I played (with 3) wasn't particularly cut throat, but I imagine it could be with 4 good players.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've played Pan Am three times, and each time I warn the other players that the stock's only going to get more expensive, and each time it somehow never goes about $5.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ellaybee posted:

What are your thoughts on it for solely solo play? I presume you view it favorably given that you’re considering the expansions, but do you have anything in particular you’d say for or against it?

I like the game overall, but solo play is pretty weak. There isn't anything new to the game to differentiate it from regular play except which special modules are available, and at the beginning you choose an objective that you need to reach (no patients left, x amount of money, that sort of thing). Other than that, it's basically just high score mode. Some sort of simple automata to steal doctors and patients out from under you or make certain modules unavailable would've probably gone a long way for it.

The Kickstarter is releasing a sort of campaign mode, however, a series of missions which will go through all the expansions with changes to rulesets and such, so I'm quite interested in seeing that.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I did, but as others have said, he put out a more reasonable statement and looks like he's trying to make amends. I have removed Tzolk'in from my wishlist for now, but I will keep an eye on the situation.

Eklund, on the other hand, seems too far gone...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

We have to allow people who have done wrong to redeem themselves, otherwise why would they change?

In other news https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2601838/article/37011976#37011976

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I've no idea what hig thinks it is doing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Black people: we demand structural change to overcome centuries of systematic racist oppression

Game publisher: got it, we will change the colour of the dice

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

MikeCrotch posted:

Black people: we demand structural change to overcome centuries of systematic racist oppression

Game publisher: got it, we will change the colour of the dice

You must admit that changing the colour of the dice is a lot easier.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Some black people care a whole lot about possible associations and connotations of the word "black" in everyday use. I think it's fine to roll one's eyes at particular invocations of these concerns, but they are a real thing for some people and not purely inclusivity theater on the publisher's part.

As a parallel example, I work in tech, and my company has banned the common jargon of "blacklist" and "whitelist" because of the possible racial connotations.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Cfr also the recent deprecationt of master/slave terminology in a popular sourcecode versioning system (I think Git?) . Although that one is probably more obviously problematic than blacklist/whitelist.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Straight White Shark posted:

The problem is that ultimately Shadows Flicker just doesn't bring much to the table. Yeah you can just take the decent tracks and play as a generic spirit but most spirits don't have anything stopping you from doing the same thing, and probably have other abilities. In larger games the range boost can be interesting but in small games it's rarely worth the cost compared to just playing a spirit with better presence/range.

That said, the aspect cards are explicitly meant to patch over Shadows' issues and as long as you use an aspect with it there's no real problem.

Honestly I think the range thing is one of the best things about shadows and is severely underrated. Theres a bunch of powerful cards in the deck that are only limited by range restrictions, and Shadows is primed to fully utilize the effects of something like The Jungle Hungers for just 1 more energy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

King of Bleh posted:

As a parallel example, I work in tech, and my company has banned the common jargon of "blacklist" and "whitelist" because of the possible racial connotations.

That one's a good example of what I'm gonna call adopted racism. It didn't start out that way in any form, many folks wouldn't use it that way, but some people do enjoy using it to pretend they're going under the radar or to say "hey my racism is fine because it's just like these common terms". Some of those things can be tricky to navigate/alter, others are very easily swapped for better words. And sometimes you just have to plow ahead and get through the part where it's jarring and weird until the new normal becomes normalized.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Eh, same with the black dice. There's bound to be dipshits who see it as an opportunity to go "oh I'll just buy a black worker wink wink". And when called on it, they'll gaslight with "but come on guys, it's so obviously intentional! I'm not racist, the game is racist!". Ostensibly, the racism is in the person saying that poo poo and not in the game, but you can't really fault HiG for preventing any chance of that reflecting back on them by cutting the black dice out of their game.

And yes, there are about a million things higher on the list of things to do to oppose racism, and yes, spending energy on this stupid dice thing is in some sense actively directing focus away from those million things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe launch racists into the sun and be done with it? :thunk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinitum posted:

Ooh, a retheme of sol??

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

theroachman posted:

Eh, same with the black dice. There's bound to be dipshits who see it as an opportunity to go "oh I'll just buy a black worker wink wink". And when called on it, they'll gaslight with "but come on guys, it's so obviously intentional! I'm not racist, the game is racist!". Ostensibly, the racism is in the person saying that poo poo and not in the game, but you can't really fault HiG for preventing any chance of that reflecting back on them by cutting the black dice out of their game.

And yes, there are about a million things higher on the list of things to do to oppose racism, and yes, spending energy on this stupid dice thing is in some sense actively directing focus away from those million things.

But those people will find something else to be racist about, particularly in Marco Polo, not hard at all. I don't like it because people of African descent are Black, not black.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mayveena posted:

But those people will find something else to be racist about, particularly in Marco Polo, not hard at all. I don't like it because people of African descent are Black, not black.

Events of the last year have taught me to pretty much stop trying to respectfully deal with these sorts of people For The Good Of The Group
They need to be called out and told to tell their story walking

I have a couple of game groups, and one guy in the extended group I rarely play with has a fun habit of apologising before he says some dumb rear end poo poo.
I've told him to shut the gently caress up the last time he started with his "I don't meant to offend anyone but [racist/sexist/slurs]" nonsense. (Perhaps I may have also used.. more 'Australian' language to do so :v:)

Don't think I've been invited back to his game days since :v
Small loss. Dickhead liked to quarterback and was way too aggressive about trying to win.

Racists are always going to be racists.
Linguistic discussions can absolutely be improved over time (I think Parent/Child is a good improvement on Master/Slave, but I'd never begrudge someone using the latter as it's pretty low on the poo poo The Needs To Be Unfucked scale)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Intent is also a big factor, as you can typically tell when someone is acting in bad faith.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Managed to have 3 games in a row of The War of Whispers that ended in a draw.
1 3 player game and 2 4 person games. It typically was a last turn move that ended up with 1 faction wiped out and 3 with exactly 3 capitals. So.......3 ties in a row.
We still all had a great time and enjoyed it but felt a little odd too.

Getting some Viticulture + Tuscany in this week since we are back on quarantine. 2 player and 4 player games to follow

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

As I understand it, launching them out of the solar system requires less delta-v.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

homullus posted:

As I understand it, launching them out of the solar system requires less delta-v.

Me: Hmm, we need someone who's a game designer and a rocket scientist.
Eklund: I got you, fam.
Me: But we also need someone who's knows about racism.
Eklund: You aren't going to believe this.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To give him his due, I don't think Eklund has ever said fam in his life.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Caverna: Cave vs Cave is such a great little 2p game. We replayed it this weekend after not touching it for about a year and we both just fell in love with it all over again. I haven't picked up the expansion yet but talk about another win for distilling an enormous game into a tidy, interesting, quick, and fun package. Highly recommend it for people looking for 2p games and/or fans of Rosenberg.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 16, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

To give him his due, I don't think Eklund has ever said fam in his life.

the british civilized it out of him, along with his loyalty to fiat currency

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Caverna: Cave vs Cave is such a great little 2p game. We replayed it this weekend after not touching it for about a year and we both just fell in love with it all over again. I haven't picked up the expansion yet but talk about another win for distilling an enormous game into a tidy, interesting, quick, and fun package. Highly recommend it for people looking for 2p games and/or fans of Rosenberg.

I'm also a huge fan of Caverna CvC, and the expansion is excellent.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Buck Wildman posted:

the british civilized it out of him, along with his loyalty to fiat currency

Has Eklund ever gone on a rant about the Magna Carta? That's the sure sign you're dealing with an English sovereign citizen type.

Knowing Phil he would probably make some game to show how the lords came together to craft the Magna Carta in the spirit of freedom that was actually a perfect demonstration of how lovely the feudal aristocracy was.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What “genre” of horror is KDM? Like how would I describe it to someone who’s never heard of it (eg, slasher horror, alien horror, body horror, etc). “Boutique nightmare horror” seems vague.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

booby horror

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

theroachman posted:

Cfr also the recent deprecationt of master/slave terminology in a popular sourcecode versioning system (I think Git?) . Although that one is probably more obviously problematic than blacklist/whitelist.

Master/slave is more of a hardware thing, like having a device that sends commands and another that does something with the commands. Many places are phasing this out, but it’s harder for hardware since it’s often literally printed on boards.

GitHub had a “master” branch, which was just “the primary, top version”, which they changed to “main” on new projects (though this is arbitrary and you can name branches anything you want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

What “genre” of horror is KDM? Like how would I describe it to someone who’s never heard of it (eg, slasher horror, alien horror, body horror, etc). “Boutique nightmare horror” seems vague.

Paperwork. That describes both the gameplay and the horror genre.