Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Patrat posted:

Nine cores, I should not complain, but the sheer level of RNG there is crazy. Also now I need to haul back all of the tin and copper I stockpiled at my mini-base near the dungeon and that stuff is heavy. I wish there was a wheelbarrow or sled or something to let you drag heavy loads when not exploring.

There is indeed a cart you can drag heavy loads in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I’ve deconstructed wood piles after repairing them and gotten 1 wood back. They’re basically a gamble atm, just make a chest instead, they take up way less space anyway.

Smash them with an axe, always seems to give back a full stack, no matter the health. Though putting it in a chest will always be more space efficient.

Patrat posted:

I am still early game, finished the first boss and just starting to forge metal. And... Wow was getting there a pain. I spent hours wandering through the woods to find dungeons and the first one had a grant total of one (1) core inside of it. I failed to find any more dungeons in that entire patch of black forest but eventually found more on the far side of my starting island.

Nine cores, I should not complain, but the sheer level of RNG there is crazy. Also now I need to haul back all of the tin and copper I stockpiled at my mini-base near the dungeon and that stuff is heavy. I wish there was a wheelbarrow or sled or something to let you drag heavy loads when not exploring.

Make some bronze nails and you might just get your wish.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Fishing worth it? I saved up my funbucks and already bought the other merchant stuff, so stuffing my pockets with bait is no big deal, but there's so much to do that I dunno if I should be prioritizing it or not.

There is an endgame fish recipe that makes them very much worth it, but even then you can catch as needed so there's no real reason to vibe out for an hour fishing unless that's just what you feel like doing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

There is indeed a cart you can drag heavy loads in.

I always found the cart impossible to navigate through thick forests while every critter around wants nothing more than to smack your cart. Ideally I guess you'd pave a road in there to speed things up, but I got enough to make a Karve (2nd boat) and sailed it next to a deposit and hauled it via waterways.

I also found the fishing impossible while a friend reels in fish by the dozens and tells me fish are just constantly swimming to his bait. I can't see any fish even approaching it. Do I need to turn some graphic setting off or is it just a matter of being a bad fisherman?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The cart is a land boat. We have a big-ish continent that our central base is on so roads make more sense for us. Road building is a fun activity as well and if nothing else it makes forestry easier as you need more wood. Just take a cart down the road and work your way back killing the wood piles you made while building it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a black forest boss? I've done a whole poo poo ton of black forest exploration and have only found 3 deer-boss alters. I have only killed the deer boss. I've got a bronze pickaxe too, not sure what to aim for next.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
There is absolutely a wheelbarrow but you need a bit of metal to build it.

E:F/B

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Otacon posted:

Most people stack wood piles outside, in the elements. You'll need to hit them with your hammer before deconstructing them, or store them under a roof.

Everything should give back 100% resources when deconstructed with a hammer. It's a confirmed defect when they dont

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

redreader posted:

Is there a black forest boss? I've done a whole poo poo ton of black forest exploration and have only found 3 deer-boss alters. I have only killed the deer boss. I've got a bronze pickaxe too, not sure what to aim for next.

Go investigate some Burial Chambers in a Black Forest. Also, get a bow if you haven't already. The basic one is pretty bad, but the next one is good and easy to craft.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Quill posted:

Go investigate some Burial Chambers in a Black Forest. Also, get a bow if you haven't already. The basic one is pretty bad, but the next one is good and easy to craft.

I've found like three already, which is how I made the bronze pickaxe. Do they also have a boss in them?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

redreader posted:

I've found like three already, which is how I made the bronze pickaxe. Do they also have a boss in them?

Some have a runestone that points you toward the next boss. You might also find them inside a ruined stone structure in the Black Forest.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Awesome, thanks! I haven't seen anything like that but I might as well go back and look again in each dungeon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, how low is the Drake Trophy drop rate? I have like 70 Frost Glands now, and still only 1 trophy.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Broken Cog posted:

Man, how low is the Drake Trophy drop rate? I have like 70 Frost Glands now, and still only 1 trophy.

Pretty low from my experience, the wiki says 15% but I have no idea where that number is from.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I always take wiki information on recently released games with a grain of salt. People have a tendency to straight make poo poo up just to be early contributors.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It seems pretty low. In all my time I've got 4, enough to make a helmet for myself and then another 2 when people already moved on to next tier helmet.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Fishing worth it? I saved up my funbucks and already bought the other merchant stuff, so stuffing my pockets with bait is no big deal, but there's so much to do that I dunno if I should be prioritizing it or not.

At first no it's not but eventually yes definitely

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fart Car '97 posted:

At first no it's not but eventually yes definitely

Fishing is worth it almost immediately. Fish are equivalent to cooked meat and take almost no time to catch. Later on they're used to make better food but they're straight up the best third food available at the time you get access to them.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Fishing is worth it almost immediately. Fish are equivalent to cooked meat and take almost no time to catch. Later on they're used to make better food but they're straight up the best third food available at the time you get access to them.

We have had very different experiences fishing. I could never get the drat things to bite and when I did they broke off almost immediately.

Also it took about 20 hours to find the vendor so it wasn't exactly fast times getting a pole.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was intent for awhile on finding the merchant in my world without using the 42069lolxd seed but have given in. Have explored a decent radius in all directions, have amassed like 1200 coins + several stacks of gems. Apparently some worlds have had him as far out as like the last ring of islands before the world's edge so kinda done pushing my luck solo for it. I want to fish!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bussamove posted:

We have had very different experiences fishing. I could never get the drat things to bite and when I did they broke off almost immediately.

Yeah this was our experience. It was time consuming for very little return.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I always take wiki information on recently released games with a grain of salt. People have a tendency to straight make poo poo up just to be early contributors.

There is also a lot of dated info from the game's incomplete release a few years ago

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 17, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

To people wondering about cart logistics: it’s usually less effort and time to just build a small outpost near your mine and smelt / craft everything you need there. Once you have portals this becomes even easier.

Also mark us down as a server that still hasn’t found the merchant. There’s sometimes ten of us all exploring in different directions and we still haven’t stumbled on him.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yeah, carts should probably be a little easier to pull even at high weights. Right now I just use them as cheaper iron chests :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PIZZA.BAT posted:

To people wondering about cart logistics: it’s usually less effort and time to just build a small outpost near your mine and smelt / craft everything you need there. Once you have portals this becomes even easier.

Also mark us down as a server that still hasn’t found the merchant. There’s sometimes ten of us all exploring in different directions and we still haven’t stumbled on him.

If you want to use those bars for upgrading, you gotta bring them to a high level forge somehow.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishing is so worth it the moment you get the fishing rod. You have to learn the mechanics of it, but making sure you have enough stamina and hitting E to pick up the fish when the line gets it close (not sure if this is necessary but I do it anyway) is really all you need to know. Not sure if the fish you get is tied to how big the one is you caught or not but I was getting 4 uncooked fish per 1 fish caught so I spent maybe 10 minutes fishing and came out with a whole stack of them to cook. They give slightly more stats than cooked meat does too, so they're great to have around.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

If you want to use those bars for upgrading, you gotta bring them to a high level forge somehow.

Yeah we just build the upgraded forge on-site. It's more cost and time upfront but it's way more efficient once you have everything up and running

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do they post patch notes anywhere? Update this morning and it feels like deer have changed, they basically pose for my arrows now.

edit - google wins https://www.dualshockers.com/valheim-update-february-17/

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 17, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah we just build the upgraded forge on-site. It's more cost and time upfront but it's way more efficient once you have everything up and running

I mean, that's one way of doing it, you're still gonna have to ferry materials one way or another. Up to preference, really.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

xzzy posted:

Do they post patch notes anywhere? Update this morning and it feels like deer have changed, they basically pose for my arrows now.

edit - google wins https://www.dualshockers.com/valheim-update-february-17/

For future reference, it looks like they post the notes in the Steam community hub.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3059603718045184990

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Once you have mining operations going portals should also be within your reach. It really comes down to your situation on the ground with what resources are provided to you though. With us we had access to plenty of surtling cores so setting up a network of portals was pretty straight forward

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Once you have mining operations going portals should also be within your reach. It really comes down to your situation on the ground with what resources are provided to you though. With us we had access to plenty of surtling cores so setting up a network of portals was pretty straight forward

The bars needed for setting up advanced forge equipment can't be teleported.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Right you'll still need to do at least one run by foot. Any time one of us is scouting out a position to build a new outpost we'll bring the materials needed for a portal and some advanced upgrades.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The sultring core RNG really is insane.

The first three dungeons I cleared had 1-2 cores. The fourth one had thirteen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Longboat is incredible, I played for an hour or two last night with my friend clearing out crypts and putting the iron in the longboat. There were lots of complaints about the iron tier being grindy, it definitely gets there but that boat trip home with ~200 pieces of iron in the hull is really satisfying. If your main base isn't on the shoreline where you can easily dock a boat I would consider moving or at least making a forward outpost where you do your smelting because I have a feeling from here on out moving this stuff by boat is the best option you have.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Sailing is my favorite thing in the whole game.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I discovered that you can right click tools and stuff in your non-hotbar inventory to equip them. No need to fiddle with the hotbar every time you want to plant some seeds or flatten ground.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Also, if you are plucking stuff like berries or mushrooms, they pop out and then sit on the ground.
You don't need to hit E on them again. You'll vacuum them up if you're close enough.

Took me about two hours to figure that one out!!!!!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Hopefully this can save someone a lot of time.

It seems that you cannot dig to water anywhere you please because at some point you will reach ground the pick can't break through. This prevented me from making a canal system through my island, which unfortunately I didn't discover until I had spent a couple hours planning and digging. It seems like it could be based on the initial height of the generated land, so if you need to build a canal you could probably find the highest point you need to dig through to check if you can get to water there before going gun-ho with the whole project.

Kind of a bummer, my starting island has no rivers and is pretty awkward to sail around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

If your main base isn't on the shoreline where you can easily dock a boat I would consider moving or at least making a forward outpost where you do your smelting because I have a feeling from here on out moving this stuff by boat is the best option you have.

Our first server, we kind of wandered around the spawn point until we found water and built next to it thinking it would be useful in the future when we made boats. Turns out it was just a pond in a much larger island. :geno:

So now I'm debating whether to pull up stakes and move the main base or just live with a 2-3 minute run every time we want to use a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CRAYON posted:

It seems like it could be based on the initial height of the generated land

It is. Copper rocks also can extend below the max depth, although the hoe leveling function can allow mining fragments that would otherwise be inaccessible. It can drop the terrain an extra half meter or so.