Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao remember the mural that unambiguously proved Corbyn was a rabid antisemite. Current darling of the right Gina Carano posted pretty much the exact same image and now Bari Weiss has given her a full pass for it:
"Is this a double standard? Yes, here's why that's good..."

In 1987 it was alleged that six Nazi war criminals were living in the UK and that all of them were Jeremy Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

"Is this a double standard? Yes, here's why that's good..."

In 1987 it was alleged that six Nazi war criminals were living in the UK and that all of them were Jeremy Corbyn.

Also the argument. "No look the murals are different. The noses in his one are way more Jewish looking."

Um.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao remember the mural that unambiguously proved Corbyn was a rabid antisemite. Current darling of the right Gina Carano posted pretty much the exact same image and now Bari Weiss has given her a full pass for it:

That one could get a job in the British press with such a history of disingenuous braindead oval office

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The only chance Labour had in 2019 is if they found a way to make the election mostly about domestic issues and not about Brexit (as they managed in 2017).

No idea how they could have done that, but having Brexit as the main issue of the campaign was just death regardless of which stance they took.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vitamin P posted:

I realise you're an ethnonationalist idiot but a genuine Galaxy Brain Meme moment most politically aware people have at some point in their lives is that Britain is actually pretty good.

If your soul was floating down to earth and you were gonna be gay or trans then the UK would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be a woman it would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be disabled it would be a good spot to aim for. This is objectively true if measured against almost any other place a soul might happen to land.

This is an excellent representation of the British Liberal psyche when it comes down to it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Was the original corbyn mural in london? I thought it was somewhere in the US.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Also the argument. "No look the murals are different. The noses in his one are way more Jewish looking."

Um.
They are different murals, in that the Freedom for Humanity mural was trying to be about the Global South and deliberately replaced some of the Jewish figures with Anglo/Euro/American elites to try and avoid that.

It evidently didn't work, and still fell short into some bad tropes, but lol that it's the one that didn't do that that's getting excused for tangential reasons.

e: ^^ The specific Freedom for Humanity mural was in Tower Hamlets in London in late 2012 (the most Lib Dem year), but there's been other versions that are various different degrees of problematic.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 17, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I were a politician or celebrity I would simply not post any hooknosed caricatures.

This is why Rowling is immune to accusations of anti-Semitism, her main bad guy doesn't even have a nose

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Remember that Labour lost over 2 million to the Lib Dems and Greens in 2019. Sticking with the (increasing unpopular) soft brexit plan might have meant keeping some of those north and Midlands seats but would have meant losing Putney, Plymouth, Canterbury etc. It's highly unlikely Labour would have come out ahead in that transaction especially as the majority of the membership would be demoralised by that plan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

Stavros Halkias in a wig is one of the most staggeringly stupid and hypocritical "commentators" on the face of the planet. She could write for The Spectator. Whining about cancel culture while trying to get universities to fire people for daring to mildly critique Israeli policies towards Palestinians. If she fell into a puddle you'd not want to help her up just in case she drowns.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems harsh, Stav in a wig would be a fantastic columnist. His movie reviews are already better than any that get printed in a newspaper.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In shocking news, this guy has just confirmed that the Monster Munch shape is canonically a claw, not a monster. I’m personally saddened by this news, being part of team monster, but there we have it.

Another UKMT legend put to rest.

He promises to come back next Wednesday to tell us about mini cheddars.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I thought they were intentionally both?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I thought they were intentionally both?

That was before reactionary claw essentialism took over

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Red Oktober posted:

In shocking news, this guy has just confirmed that the Monster Munch shape is canonically a claw, not a monster. I’m personally saddened by this news, being part of team monster, but there we have it.

Death of the author, mofo! Once the creative work is released into public domain the original intent is insignificant compared to all the other meanings that the current viewing public put upon it. Team monster lives on!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Aw, I was having a lovely dream about yelling at Starmer when my alarm woke me up. I said the word gently caress in the rant and he looked so angry, but then went back into a meeting as they were planning to make David Milliband the new leader.

Reading twitter before bed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's only one kind of Milliband, it depends which way up you hold it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The claw/monster spectrum is a social construct and does not need to abide by the wishes of its creator.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is why Rowling is immune to accusations of anti-Semitism, her main bad guy doesn't even have a nose

How does he smell?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
With a 20,000 word essay about the mobility of his gametes.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

Remember that Labour lost over 2 million to the Lib Dems and Greens in 2019. Sticking with the (increasing unpopular) soft brexit plan might have meant keeping some of those north and Midlands seats but would have meant losing Putney, Plymouth, Canterbury etc. It's highly unlikely Labour would have come out ahead in that transaction especially as the majority of the membership would be demoralised by that plan.
imo old-school left euroscepticism would have been an impossible sell at the time. Having just been campaigning for Remain it would have come across as a completely insincere policy shift, & for most young voters it's kind of a new idea that would have to be spun and sold to them out of whole cloth, whereas the hard remain lot had a much more positive "hands across Europe" kind of message. "They're all bastards anyway, gently caress 'em" just sounds like sour grapes, and in combination with having to add "but not like that" to the notionally similar Tory ideas it's just far too complex an idea to really get out there in a short space of time.

peanut- posted:

The only chance Labour had in 2019 is if they found a way to make the election mostly about domestic issues and not about Brexit (as they managed in 2017).

No idea how they could have done that, but having Brexit as the main issue of the campaign was just death regardless of which stance they took.
Yeah all the targeted ads posted by shell companies with questionable funding sources and no official connection to the Tory party were doing CROBBIN IS A REMAINER TRAITOR to leave voters and CORBON HATES THE EU to remain voters, it's hard to counter that

It does kind of amaze me in an entirely-predictable way that Labour HQ just let Cummings pull basically the exact same thing he did last time and act all surprised like there was nothing they could have done differently

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oh noooo the woman I have to deal with at work today is a sov cit

this is going to take forever

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looking at it divorced from the actual consequences, what Boris did in 2019 was very impressive. Set the agenda clearly, genuinely purged his party of doubters, and told the Tory base to either fall in line or gently caress off. He basically solved Brexit in the sense of it being a Tory party issue.

It's hard to envisage any similar thing having been possible for Labour, and definitely not with Corbyn being terrified of purging anyone.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Necrothatcher posted:

tell her that you don't consent to the magna carta

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Borrovan posted:

tell her that you don't consent to the magna carta

currently trying to figure out this https://www.commonlawcourt.com/

e: oh god they issue their own court documentation this is going to be a nightmare to sort out

https://www.commonlawcourt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Court-Order-1.pdf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tell her that The Bill of Rights 1688 CHAPTER 2 1 Will and Mar Sess 2 says that she can "fucke off with this shitte".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

Looking at it divorced from the actual consequences, what Boris did in 2019 was very impressive. Set the agenda clearly, genuinely purged his party of doubters, and told the Tory base to either fall in line or gently caress off. He basically solved Brexit in the sense of it being a Tory party issue.

It's hard to envisage any similar thing having been possible for Labour, and definitely not with Corbyn being terrified of purging anyone.

It probably helps that the people he purged have seemingly no interest in contesting it, and also other things to do with themselves afterwards.

Whereas if you did that with the labour lot they would all get permanent positions in the guardian until the end of days.

Necrothatcher posted:

currently trying to figure out this https://www.commonlawcourt.com/

e: oh god they issue their own court documentation this is going to be a nightmare to sort out

https://www.commonlawcourt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Court-Order-1.pdf

Do you have to understand it beyond "the uk has a court system and they won't listen to you if you say you would like to bring your own"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm assuming it's going to be a remote meeting? Change your background to make it look like a boat and say you're an admiralty court, at that point you are all good as far as I understand it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Necrothatcher posted:

Tell her it's illegal to use a legal name

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OzyMandrill posted:

Death of the author, mofo! Once the creative work is released into public domain the original intent is insignificant compared to all the other meanings that the current viewing public put upon it. Team monster lives on!

Excellent point - I'll let him know that he has no authority here. no authority at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The magna carta establishes the right of all free englishmen to assert that the monster much is whatever they want it to be.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have to understand it beyond "the uk has a court system and they won't listen to you if you say you would like to bring your own"
Seriouspost, idk exactly what you do for a living but surely this is the correct answer. "none of these documents or processes carry any legal weight, therefore I am disregarding them"

(& skimming through it I'm not sure it'd be any help depending on exactly what you're doing, but a Canadian judge wrote a very lengthy guide to dealing with "organised pseudolegal commercial arguments" in legal settings in his judgment in Meads v Meads, the "responses" section starts at page 131)

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

MikeCrotch posted:

Tell her it's illegal to use a legal name

But that makes it an illegal name which is, as we all know, legal to use.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm assuming it's going to be a remote meeting? Change your background to make it look like a boat and say you're an admiralty court, at that point you are all good as far as I understand it.

Do this, and occasionally tilt your laptop for added ocean realism. If they still don't buy it, maybe fake a giant quid attack halfway through the meeting.

Actually, just do this with all meetings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

maybe fake a giant quid attack halfway through the meeting.
Scream "augh, fiat money with no solid metal backing" to strike added fear into their hearts.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Niric posted:

Do this, and occasionally tilt your laptop for added ocean realism. If they still don't buy it, maybe fake a giant quid attack halfway through the meeting.

Actually, just do this with all meetings.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is by way of information for anyone else as confused as I was! And apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs and everyone else ITT knew already:

I had to google 'sov cit'. I read it as 'soviet citizen' and I was thinking 'soviet union' hasn't existed for some years.
Tt means "sovereign citizen".

Here's a BBC article about it (seems as good as any to get an introduction to the idea).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53654318

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Borrovan posted:

Seriouspost, idk exactly what you do for a living but surely this is the correct answer. "none of these documents or processes carry any legal weight, therefore I am disregarding them"

In a perfect world I would say that, she would go "oh, okay" and we would move on.

Sadly this terminal case of brainworms is likely to end with a judge issuing a warrant for her arrest and her life getting all hosed up. Ah well.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is by way of information for anyone else as confused as I was! And apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs and everyone else ITT knew already:

I had to google 'sov cit'. I read it as 'soviet citizen' and I was thinking 'soviet union' hasn't existed for some years.
Tt means "sovereign citizen".

Here's a BBC article about it (seems as good as any to get an introduction to the idea).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53654318

I'm familiar with them, but my brain still parsed it as "soviet citizen" and I pictured a lost-in-the-jungle type scenario of someone who still thinks the cold war is going on.

And is having a Zoom meeting with Necrothatcher for some reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Vitamin P posted:

I realise you're an ethnonationalist idiot but a genuine Galaxy Brain Meme moment most politically aware people have at some point in their lives is that Britain is actually pretty good.

If your soul was floating down to earth and you were gonna be gay or trans then the UK would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be a woman it would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be disabled it would be a good spot to aim for. This is objectively true if measured against almost any other place a soul might happen to land.

I realise you've probably already been bodied for this poo poo by now but seriously gently caress you this can't be said enough gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you.