Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

imagine working at a horribly mismanaged company where nobody can get any work done because management keeps completely loving stuff up. but there's no way in hell the managers and executives could possibly accept being at fault, so they blame everyone else, claiming that the workers are being lazy and not communicating

imagine how those companies are faring under WFH

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. We are also doing unrelated mass firings, wherein my department, where no one is working because management sucks, is spared. It is technically a government agency founded by the national budget, but it's neoliberalism and NPM all the way down anyway.

Oh well, work from home is Star Trek time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Biplane posted:

I'll pay double!

Goon sizes are extra, yes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How dare you! I'm a svelte 475 pounds.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i'm the 400 pound hacker yer favorite prez warned you about

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

imagine working at a horribly mismanaged company where nobody can get any work done because management keeps completely loving stuff up. but there's no way in hell the managers and executives could possibly accept being at fault, so they blame everyone else, claiming that the workers are being lazy and not communicating

imagine how those companies are faring under WFH

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

As someone who has done essentially two weeks of actual work since July, no, this doesn't work. Management have so little feeling with actual work that they just trust that hours equal work.

I actually did complain that I was just doing nothing at all. No response. I didn't push it. It sucked a lot more when I was actually in the office, at home I just watched Star Trek.

i used to have regular staff meetings with my boss every other week so i could just keep her up to date with projects ive been working on

We've had 1 staff meeting since March and the only time I hear from her now is when she messages me on teams cause she cant figure out how to re-map a network drive or something stupidly simple

its pretty great

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Capitalist fortune cookie!

with bonus "absolutely will not help the problem you're trying to solve" fortune cookie

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Stealth Tiger posted:

with bonus "absolutely will not help the problem you're trying to solve" fortune cookie
I will take any excuse to share this article.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I once got a fortune cookie that said "ignore previous cookie" with the same blue marks around it. And I mean like, 15 years ago.

Whoever uses the blue marks around the edge makes the best.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

Even goal setting, the ubiquitous motivational technique of managers everywhere, isn’t an undisputed boon. Fixating too vigorously on goals can distort an organization’s overall mission in a desperate effort to meet some overly narrow target, and research by several business-school professors suggests that employees consumed with goals are likelier to cut ethical corners.
That seems like an intended effect though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I once got a fortune cookie that said "ignore previous cookie" with the same blue marks around it. And I mean like, 15 years ago.

Whoever uses the blue marks around the edge makes the best.

I have one (with the blue marks like that) that I put on my fridge with a magnet that says "You can rely on the trust of the collective"

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T AFFORD THAT HOGAN?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I agree, it is in fact functioning exactly as it was designed to.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inceltown posted:

During every hurricane we get some cato institute fuckwad blathering about how price gouging laws are so unfair and counterproductive because if we just let gas go to infinity dollars during an emergency it would incentivize people to buy armored trucks and drive gas into the disaster zones (presumably during the hurricane). So presumably in this case once the price goes high enough someone will be incentivized to load a bunch of electricity up into a truck and drive it into the blackout areas and plug it into the grid.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

During every hurricane we get some cato institute fuckwad blathering about how price gouging laws are so unfair and counterproductive because if we just let gas go to infinity dollars during an emergency it would incentivize people to buy armored trucks and drive gas into the disaster zones (presumably during the hurricane). So presumably in this case once the price goes high enough someone will be incentivized to load a bunch of electricity up into a truck and drive it into the blackout areas and plug it into the grid.

Free market extremists actually believe that someone will see electricity costing 5000x what it usually does during a disaster and they'll be ready next time with a secret extra stash of electricity to make their fortune from this gap in the market!

Instead of actually happens which is ghouls gouging the gently caress out of people on stuff they just happened to have available by circumstance while the shortage continues unabated.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

"The economy functioned as designed" is what they'll start carving into the boulders over our mass graves as climate change starts really revving up

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Drowning Man: "Help, I'm drowning!"

Economist: "That's how drowning works, kid."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Free market extremists actually believe that someone will see electricity costing 5000x what it usually does during a disaster and they'll be ready next time with a secret extra stash of electricity to make their fortune from this gap in the market!

Instead of actually happens which is ghouls gouging the gently caress out of people on stuff they just happened to have available by circumstance while the shortage continues unabated.

I mean to be fair that is kinda how peaker plants work but nobody (not even the power companies) likes having to operate peaker plants.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Drowning Man: "Help, I'm drowning!"

Economist: "That's how drowning works, kid."

Economist: As the supply of oxygen dwindles, the demand for it soars. You must pay the new price. Do you see?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I mean to be fair that is kinda how peaker plants work but nobody (not even the power companies) likes having to operate peaker plants.

Except in this case all the peaker plants are frozen solid or idled because gas prices are too high and the economists are nodding sagely and saying "yes this is perfect, now someone will have an incentive to create an electricity arbitrage storage battery in which I can buy a preferred tranche if only THE GOD drat GOVERNMENT doesn't get in the way"

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bag em and tag em posted:

Economist: As the supply of oxygen dwindles, the demand for it soars. You must pay the new price. Do you see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3sDTKftNMI

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brain Curry posted:

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange.

Very apt quote

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very apt quote

someone should write a book about it, the apes of nath or something

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Phi230 posted:

I know where the quote is from though , that's why I said "quote" rather than, " wow dude you should write a classic American novel"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Someone go rob a bank in that part of town.

Either you come out with some cash and no response or people can dumpster dive when the cops leave to chase you.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

wow dude you should write a classic American novel

wow dude thanks maybe I should

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Phi230 posted:

It’s depressing how often something happens that reminds me of that book

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/LocalAreaNewsie/status/1361858577577648130?s=19

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Can't wait for the inevitable insufferable press release from the police about how they had to do it because the food was a public health risk or something

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qooic7VkuE1y98erd.mp4

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Any choice other than "Strongly Disagree" indicates that the candidate cares about themselves somewhat. That's bad when the worker should be 100% focused on the customer.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

behavioral economics is actually just psychology

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cool there's a sequel to grapes of wrath

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable insufferable press release from the police about how they had to do it because the food was a public health risk or something

Well, yeah, after they poured all that bleach onto the food it was no longer safe for human consumption.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Shame Boy posted:

Like just imagine how loving brain poisoned you have to be to reach this conclusion:

That is like, 5 metric tons of lead toxicity equivalent or something.

A few years ago I quit my job and through hiked the PCT (yes I know that's massively privileged) and realized that eating instant mashed potatoes and ramen and sleeping outside in the dirt every night was the happiest I'd been in my whole life. In Yakima, WA a buddy and I went looking for a place to grab a bite to eat and asked a guy on the street who directed us to the local mission. Jokes on me though because now I can't find a job I don't hate.

gently caress I miss that life :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brain Curry posted:

It’s depressing how often something happens that reminds me of that book

For me, it's The Jungle.