Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Ah yes, VR headsets for the people who can afford medicine, rent, or heat, but not all three at once.

don't worry since the VR headset will be a requirement to complete your onboarding for the newest gig economy jobs, you can deduct it from your taxes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
VR labor wherein you pay for your needs by powering the Gibson via treadmill (what you see in game is POV running towards a beautiful anime lady)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
VR companies should really keep prices high because if everyone has VR they'll realize it's a loving boring gimmick real fast

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

for some reason they always forget the bread part of "bread and circuses"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

for some reason they always forget the bread part of "bread and circuses"

They just ran the calculations and 1 dollar of circuses is worth 2 dollars of bread on their suppress-o-max algorithm.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I love how completely delusional technophiles have become

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

oh that articles just a paraphrased john carmack interview. lame. hes always been a lunatic

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/185757996473790464

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
as they dream of escaping to vr or space, they learn there is no escape from the crushing fist of the Real.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

For a guy whose house has an attached observatory, one might expect he would have a greater understanding of light pollution.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Mecca looks crazy, Abraj Al Bait is so absurdly large

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's ugly as poo poo and I hate it thank you op

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mistermojo posted:

Mecca looks crazy, Abraj Al Bait is so absurdly large

Definitely not a monument to hubris

Tulip posted:

They just ran the calculations and 1 dollar of circuses is worth 2 dollars of bread on their suppress-o-max algorithm.

"And it scales infini- oh everyone died"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

weird how the 500 replies arent showing when i open the tweet

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

God Hole posted:

i live in a gated apartment complex (they're all gated in phoenix to keep the poors out)

recently our complex has experienced a couple of burglaries, so management used that as an excuse to WELD SHUT all the pedestrian access points along the entire perimeter of the complex, leaving only the parking lot gate untouched (the one designed to accommodate cars)

the problem with this is that the only way the parking lot gate opens is by sensor, which only triggers for car-sized objects (there is no button or manual override). i don't own a car. so i quite literally cannot leave my apartment complex of my own accord.

time to bike to work? i'm doing circles in the parking lot like an idiot waiting for a real person in a car to leave. wanna take my dog for a walk? gotta bake on the asphalt with my dog and wait for a real person to leave.

phoenix is a horrific example of suburban sprawl, designed entirely around the personal automobile. i'm observing myself being erased in real-time.

yo have you escaped your insane killer deathtrap SIMS house?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he died swimming in the complex pool after the maintenance guy took the ladders out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A Twitch streamer made $16,000 filming himself asleep and letting viewers disturb him with alarm clocks and fake dog barks
https://www.businessinsider.com/influencer-instagram-youtube-twitch-alexa-recognition-speech-disturb-money-subscribe-donate-view

quote:

Making money in your sleep sounds too good to be true, given many of us find it hard enough to earn a living while we're awake.

But many influencers are jumping on a new trend that's rising in popularity: the "sleep stream."

Among the best-known sleep streamers is one who goes by the name Asian Andy.

The 26-year-old from Los Angeles made $16,000 in just one night on his Twitch livestream — though he didn't get much sleep in the process.

Like many other influencers, Andy set up text-to-speech recognition for his livestream, meaning that music played with every donation and the messages were read aloud.

A lot of viewers used their messages to get Alexa to play loud music, imitate a dog barking, or make his alarm clock go off.

One recurring theme in an August livestream was viewers telling Andy someone was at the window, leading to over-the-top reactions.

Andy himself was shocked at his viewers' generosity.

"Thank you so much," he said at the end of his Twitch livestream, which he later posted to YouTube. "I used to drive Uber for $16 an hour."

Twitch largely started as a gaming platform, with some users making as much as $200,000 a year.

It now has a Twitch Affiliate Program for those who are serious about making a career out of gaming, and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York has even used Twitch to try to increase voter participation and fundraise for charities.

Andy, who's known for his antics including tearing off his shirt in Starbucks and whenever someone says "Ascend," has more than 40,000 subscribers on Twitter and Instagram and 1 million on YouTube.

He's not the only influencer making money with his eyes closed, however.

Ice Poseidon made $5,000 in eight hours for trying to sleep in 2017, according to Vice. Like Andy, he used text-to-speech recognition so his viewers could disrupt his sleep.

There are others whose content is devoted solely to sleep — like Alex Shannon, who makes sleep a central part of his brand.

Since 2018, Shannon has been traveling the world to sleep in some of the most luxurious locations.

Some have also made use of their sleep-related quirks.

The Canadian YouTuber Tyler Krause, who goes by pillowtalkTK, recorded himself talking and walking in his sleep while his girlfriend reacted.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

yo have you escaped your insane killer deathtrap SIMS house?

the simulation is breaking down.

admittedly i was a little slow calling the fire marshall, and in between my op and now one of the apartments in my complex caught on fire. the responding fire department wasted precious minutes angle grinding through the locked gate so they could get their guys through from the main road.

the management company has since opened all the other gates that they welded shut, so i imagine they had an awkward convo with the fire marshall after that incident.

my neighbors put up in a hotel in the meantime, and while they were gone some guys broke into their burned out apartments and stole everything that wasn't crisped.

i don't imagine anyone will face any consequences for this.

the upstairs apartments are the ones that caught fire. the gate / my former prison walls are in the background

God Hole has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Feb 16, 2021

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, what show is this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Congratulations on your neighbors committing arson to own the landlord.

Extra credit if they also took the opportunity to score all new stuff from their renter's insurance in the aftermath.

withak has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Feb 16, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat those thieves who stole all our stuff and moved it to a storage locker :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazing.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

God Hole posted:

admittedly i was a little slow calling the fire marshall, and in between my op and now one of the apartments in my complex caught on fire. the responding fire department wasted precious minutes angle grinding through the locked gate so they could get their guys through from the main road.

the management company has since opened all the other gates that they welded shut, so i imagine they had an awkward convo with the fire marshall after that incident.

my neighbors put up in a hotel in the meantime, and while they were gone some guys broke into their burned out apartments and stole everything that wasn't crisped.

the upstairs apartments are the ones that caught fire. the gate / my former prison walls are in the background

If you pay maintenance fees or anything, the management company probably passed the fines onto the tenants. Not directly, of course, but I'm gonna go ahead and say the real consequences were probably borne by the actual tenants.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
some say it was arson, others are calling it a beacon of liberty that set them free

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

God Hole posted:

This exact thing happened to my family when I was in elementary school. They took my old man's cassette collection, electronics and random other things.

Turns out raiding fire-gutted apartments and housing is an easy score when the place is almost guaranteed to be empty and without power!

(This then lead into my old man cruising around Vancouver checking all of the street-dealer hot spots until he recognized his custom-labeled cassette collection, at which point an 'altercation' occurred. A fun ride-along for a 10 year old me.)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just finished reading Attack Surface which is an incredibly depressing read since it’s basically a cyberpunk novel but just in the near current day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DarkDobe posted:

(This then lead into my old man cruising around Vancouver checking all of the street-dealer hot spots until he recognized his custom-labeled cassette collection, at which point an 'altercation' occurred. A fun ride-along for a 10 year old me.)

Anyone else want to heaer that story

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone else want to heaer that story

oh my yes

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

VR companies should really keep prices high because if everyone has VR they'll realize it's a loving boring gimmick real fast

when I first tried it I thought it was the most amazing gizmo I have ever seen but like a month later it was boring and dumb

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

when I first tried it I thought it was the most amazing gizmo I have ever seen but like a month later it was boring and dumb

so basically VR is nintendo Wii?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rutibex posted:

No, the Wii actually had games and people could afford it.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Tonight was super hosed up. I saw in the news yesterday that another encampment in LA was getting terrorized by having a metal song blared at them on repeat. Street Watch doesn't launch campaigns like the one we did with the Barney song without the permission of the unhoused people involved. So I went down to the encampment to see if they wanted Street Watch's help getting the music turned off. There were only three people left living there, they told me 2 people left because of the music. These guys were so far gone it didn't even seem like the music was in their top 5 problems. Mental health and substance abuse problems combined with being tortured with music all night, these people were not in a good space. They didn't seem interested in Street Watches help getting the music turned off. I am going to try again, but I don't think its going to matter.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I like to describe VR as the Wii but marketed to people who were angry about the Wii.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

God Hole posted:

Boy did you deliver on the content

that's some crazy timing, did you do it?

God Hole: "No comment :getin:"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

God Hole posted:

I hope they have renters insurance.

Gonna be a fuckjob of a claim(s) even if they do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

counterpoint that I really figured PSVR would be a waste of money but three years on from buying a second-hand one I use it way more than I was expecting and the PSVR games are now dirt cheap.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/EcoFruganomics/status/1359797994103721989

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh cool we’re doing contracting in Iraq 2005 but here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Oh cool we’re doing contracting in Iraq 2005 but here