Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

tangy yet delightful posted:

Our very own DeepFuckingValue :v:

Except DFV watched $34M of his profits evaporate because randos on reddit called him a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Welp I just had my first $10k day and now have a big enough trading account to meet the SEC's day trader requirements, albeit just barely as I watch it evaporate in ah. :madmax:

e: thx :hfive:
VVVV

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 17, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Congrats! That's a big step.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Brass Hand posted:

I bought AACQ based on this thread. Does anyone know if there is much substance to the talks with Origin? May just get out now with my 20% and move onto something new NAV again.

I sold half of mine Friday AH and the rest this morning the instant warrants didn't hold $4. It could go either way and unless I have really compelling reasons I'm not holding anything past initial announcements or rumor pops. There is almost no tangible information about Origin or what IP they actually own and can capitalize on. There probably is something there, AACQ is a very large trust ($700M+). It has to be more than "We can make some plastic from wood chips and sell it to Nestle in 2023" but I'm not gonna wait to find out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's exactly how I felt about LOAK at $11

:smith:

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
How long does it normally take from splitting units to being able to trade the commons and warrants separately? I own them in a non-taxable account so I figured I can always sell and rebuy separately if I want to but if I can get TDA to waive the $30 fee I'd probably just do that if they are tradeable fairly quickly.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

FistEnergy posted:

And how I felt about SBE at 15. I'm not very good at this and I don't know how I'm up 50% in less than 3 months when all the poo poo I didn't sell ended up trending like FUSE and GHIV. I try not to think about it too much I just keep mashing that sell button then buy something else now.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Uterine Lineup posted:

How long does it normally take from splitting units to being able to trade the commons and warrants separately? I own them in a non-taxable account so I figured I can always sell and rebuy separately if I want to but if I can get TDA to waive the $30 fee I'd probably just do that if they are tradeable fairly quickly.

Depends on the broker, but a few days to a week.

FistEnergy posted:

I got out of LOAK at $16 and felt like a genius at the time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If I understand correctly a weedstock can’t be traded on US exchanges and most list on Canadian exchanges, so what happens if a US listed SPAC merged with a weed company?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

If I understand correctly a weedstock can’t be traded on US exchanges and most list on Canadian exchanges, so what happens if a US listed SPAC merged with a weed company?

Many weedstocks are traded on the NASDAQ, TLRY and SNDL for example.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I thought of an interesting (maybe) hypothetical with SPACs. What if you invest in a SPAC and eventually it turns out that they are in talks with the company that employs you? Or say you have some other insider knowledge about a company, but you had no idea the SPAC was going to target the company for which you had insider knowledge.

Would there be any way to avoid insider trading? Sell immediately? Never sell?

edit: to be clear, I meant it was *maybe* interesting, it's definitely a hypothetical :P

vote_no fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 17, 2021

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

vote_no posted:

I thought of an interesting (maybe) hypothetical with SPACs. What if you invest in a SPAC and eventually it turns out that they are in talks with the company that employs you? Or say you have some other insider knowledge about a company, but you had no idea the SPAC was going to target the company for which you had insider knowledge.

Owlet employee spotted.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

vote_no posted:

Follow the same rules you would for buying/selling stock in the company you work for. Trading in the company you work for isn't insider trading. Trading based off material non-public information is but the bar is surprisingly high and you probably don't know any unless you are senior or specifically working in finance or mergers/acquisitions. Ask your legal/compliance department for guidance, verify with them whether anything you are working on and have knowledge of would consist of material non-public information, only trade during open trade windows and/or get trades approved by legal if you feel that you could be scrutinized for trading off of non-public information. Make it clear you are covering your rear end and trying to play by the rules and you probably aren't going to prison for selling relatively tiny amounts of company stock.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Maybe I should have asked the opposite question: isn’t it possible, due to the nature of SPACs, for someone to be unable to avoid insider trading?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

vote_no posted:

Maybe I should have asked the opposite question: isn’t it possible, due to the nature of SPACs, for someone to be unable to avoid insider trading?

If you buy a SPAC called LUVD because they say they will be targeting firms in the sex toy space and you think they could find a big fat juicy target so you buy 100 shares at 10.50.

The shares rise to 14 on no news. You keep holding.

At work on Monday, you find out LUVD is in talks with your CEO to acquire The Dick Factory Corporation. The public does not know this information (yet).

If you sell your shares on your lunch break because you think your company sucks and it's not worth $14 then you maybe did an insider whoopsie. If you buy more shares because you think your company is awesome and LUVD is about to jump up in price once the news goes public, welp you also probably did an insider.

If instead when you find out that LUVD is talking to your CEO - you go to your legal/compliance department for advice on when to buy/sell. Probably you won't be hosed over by the SEC.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

vote_no posted:

Even CEOs can sell stock, they just have to jump through a lot more hoops to do it. It's unlikely that someone can get themselves into a situation where they have no options but insider trading.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I put in an order to limit sell my CCIV shares but then I decided to cancel it. Hopefully I don't miss the DA spike but SPCX got out of CCIV and their focus is pre-deal SPACs and maybe I am wrong but there is so much SPAC hype + EV hype that I think the DA hitting will spike CCIV higher rational valuation or not. We'll see how the week plays out.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

vote_no posted:

edit: to be clear, I meant it was *maybe* interesting, it's definitely a hypothetical :P

IANAL and I'm just making educated guesses, but I'm guessing in this scenario you would be required to hold the shares until some time after the merger. You didn't have insider information when you bought the stock and then when you sell the stock the information you learned will be public. No insider trading.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is iAnal Apples new buttplug? Does it take USB3 or do I have to get a lightning cable?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Gaius Marius posted:

Is iAnal Apples new buttplug? Does it take USB3 or do I have to get a lightning cable?

It charges off of JO energy and imitation crab meat so you should be good to go

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It even had bluetooth connectivity to my model train set!? What a world we live in.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

AACQ DA?
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210217005434/en/

quote:

Following the expected second quarter 2021 transaction close, the combined company is expected to have an estimated equity value of approximately $1.8 billion and will remain listed on Nasdaq under the new ticker symbol “ORGN.”

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

loving FUSE. This is the 2nd time I wanted to be out and done with it with a modest +8-10%, but it was one of the first SPACs I picked up so it's in vanguard and I can't afterhours trade. Then it drops like a rock during market hours.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The Economist posted a piece on SPACs

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2021/02/16/why-spacs-are-wall-streets-latest-craze

quote:

How might the craze play out? About three-quarters of SPACs launched last year are yet to do a deal. One scenario worth considering is that bumper issuance leaves many SPACs unable to find suitable targets. Investors can redeem their shares at cost until a target is bought (the proceeds from the SPAC’s IPO are kept in an escrow account in the meantime). The burden of failure—the SPAC’s set-up and search expenses—would therefore probably fall on sponsors. To avoid this, many might take any willing firm public. Voting and redemption mechanisms guard investors against dodgy deals, though they have not prevented investors from losing money so far.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

NVSAU is listed, run by former Boeing CEO, no idea what the future is for this SPAC but they focus on Space, Defense etc. My guess is they have no focus on Space in the long run. A lot of interest in this one.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
what the gently caress is happening with cciv right now, again

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Handen posted:

what the gently caress is happening with cciv right now, again

i put in an order to sell all my shares if it hits 60, i kinda want off the ride with some good profit lol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a Loving Dog posted:

i put in an order to sell all my shares if it hits 60, i kinda want off the ride with some good profit lol

I want back on if it dips to 40.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

a Loving Dog posted:

My job until DA is to sit in front of my computer watching candles. When it breaks loose, I'm out.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Such a hatchet job. Even successful SPACs like SHLL and SBE failed their merger votes and people loved those. What makes them think that a SPAC picking a poo poo target just to get it done won't get voted down?

I guess bag-holders might end up losing money if they're buying at hyped valuations, but I'm not actually sure who those people are. "Retail" such as it exists in this online space doesn't seem to employ this strategy. So who is actually holding long and getting burned that they are concern trolling on behalf of?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chad Sexington posted:

So who is actually holding long and getting burned that they are concern trolling on behalf of?

You might be surprised to learn that there are a lot of capital-D Dumb people on StockTwits, Reddit, and perhaps even here on our big stupid internet forum.

Questions like “I just dumped my life savings into warrants, how many years should I hold them?” and “what’s the difference between green and red?” abound.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

thats easy, the green releases endorphins and the red, well, the red makes me sad

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a Loving Dog posted:

thats easy, the green releases endorphins and the red, well, the red makes me sad

I thought sad was blue and red was anger

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
No, red is definitely sad. Green is the adrenaline rush

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just bought 20 shares of MTAC thanks to the heads up from GrandmaParty's post.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
SPACs: Finding Support At 500%

CCIV :getin:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

This is my new SPAC theory of printing money, please tell me what you think. Find SPACs that have notable board members (Arclight, MTAC, NVSAU etc.). Observe those SPACs until prices hit 11.50 (from 10.60 at launch), at which point *someone* seems to have heard that news was coming. Generally this is a month or two after SPACs are launched. Buy at this point. Usually a week or two later the stock jumps tremendously. Cash out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
11.50 is still pretty low so that sounds okay. You're missing the profit from 10.50 to 11.50 though, and 11.50 will absolutely drop below 11 on SPAC-wide red days.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

11.50 is still pretty low so that sounds okay. You're missing the profit from 10.50 to 11.50 though, and 11.50 will absolutely drop below 11 on SPAC-wide red days.

It comes down to whether you have the capital ready now or if you need a day or two to muster it. TPG Pace Beneficial Finance Corp gave you 2 days to get money once it hit 11-11.50 before it took off. Arclight gave you a little more. The gamble only works when you select corporations that are receiving praise online for their hires on the board, and if those individuals are industry insiders. Where SPAC IPOs have just finance guys from this hedge fund or that it doesn't work. My logic here is that these SPACs aren't "blank" in the sense that they don't have any idea of what they will be doing with their money. They absolutely know. It's just a matter of paperwork usually. Arclight knew they'd go after Proterra. MTAC, NVSAU and Arclight II have a keen idea of what they are going for and they chose a leader specifically for the task. Hedge fund and money man SPAC leaders are more prone to fishing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

a Loving Dog posted:

i chickened out and cancelled it when it hit 59.50, hope i dont regret that. I am playing with only profit here so not a HUGE deal but i would like more money of course