Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He's been engaged and/or married for 10 of the comics 15 years, and I'm assuming they were dating before then.

It's not proof he wasn't a creepy somewhere, but if he was writing about relationships, and they weren't fictional stories, chances are they were about a single person that he married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I think it's based on one special strip he did for an ex who was getting married about how she'd never stay up all night talking like presumably they had done.

It comes off a little bitter maybe but I don't think that was his intention.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think it's based on one special strip he did for an ex who was getting married about how she'd never stay up all night talking like presumably they had done.

It comes off a little bitter maybe but I don't think that was his intention.

Ah, I see.
https://boards.straightdope.com/t/randall-munroe-is-loving-creepy/683713

It comes off as a sloppy parody of a toast given by a best man who had previously dated the bride. Not that funny, definitely could be read as an entitled "good guy". Is it actually about/for an ex?

Like, the joke is 90% of the strip can be told to a loved one and the last line flips that convention and is supposed to be ironic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Let's suppose I'm right and make judgements without examining that" is a heck of an approach. That's usually how you DISprove something, by arriving ad a contradiction.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We probably wouldn't even be here if Munroe had decided to use different stickpeople to represent him and his wife when he's writing stuff about their actual lives. Instead, he uses the same "Cueball" and "Megan" models he uses for a lot of his comics, including entirely fictional ones, which muddies the water when there are some comics where "Cueball" is a creep to "Megan". (At least one of those I read as being critical of the Nice Guy mindset - "Friends with detriments" in the mouseover - but other people here have taken it at face value.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Goatkcd is still funny.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Redshirt the Uber-Henchman and the Minions International Liberation Front.

From Taskmaster (2010)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Taskmaster, check out his bold new policy from #3 of his current series

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bruceski posted:

"Let's suppose I'm right and make judgements without examining that" is a heck of an approach. That's usually how you DISprove something, by arriving ad a contradiction.

Let's assume this guy killed an entire resthome, just stabbed them all, right in the face, just for the sake of the argument:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phy posted:

We probably wouldn't even be here if Munroe had decided to use different stickpeople to represent him and his wife when he's writing stuff about their actual lives. Instead, he uses the same "Cueball" and "Megan" models he uses for a lot of his comics, including entirely fictional ones, which muddies the water when there are some comics where "Cueball" is a creep to "Megan". (At least one of those I read as being critical of the Nice Guy mindset - "Friends with detriments" in the mouseover - but other people here have taken it at face value.)

That's a precise skewering of the nice guy mindset, yeah.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Beerdeer posted:

Redshirt the Uber-Henchman and the Minions International Liberation Front.

From Taskmaster (2010)

Nothing shows confidence in your lame rear end joke like wasting an entire page to let a cut and paste ninja methodically explain it to the audience.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Menace #1 (1953)

Kobalt #4 (1994)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of Taskmaster, check out his bold new policy from #3 of his current series

Punisher #226

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa: holy poo poo I didn't realize that was a callback

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually forgot about that too lol nice

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actual-Skull helmet always looks so dumb. Udon 4 ever

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

I can't think of anyone else right now who's had a costume change that was both stylistically so different, and short-lived, and is still thought of by a lot of readers as the better one. I don't count Spider-man's black costume cause, I mean, it was a whole arc

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ignite Memories posted:

Wrong.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

There is nothing cooler than a skull.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The creation and propagation of multicellular life is just a roundabout method of generating skulls. Life forms are a byproduct.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Libra posted:

The creation and propagation of multicellular life is just a roundabout method of generating skulls. Life forms are a byproduct.

I ain't gonna say you're Glenn Danzig because I expect that's an insult in some circles, but you do sound like you could have written "I Want Your Skull"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's 2002. I am reading the Something Awful forums on my friend's account, where the Udon Taskmaster suit is being praised. It's 2021. I am reading opinions on my comic book, Taskmaster. Skulls rule.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Taskmaster is a character where it makes abundant sense that he'd try to rebrand himself for business reasons. Pirate boots and skull mask definitely sell "I teach your goons to wear ridiculous outfits and get punched by Captain America," but the Udon suit is, like, from his failed effort to move into "boutique private security" when he realized the real money was in Venture Capital startups with paranoid founders. He was so close to the Theranos contract, but he realized that he just wasn't going to be able to move that far out of his wheelhouse and went back to supervillain work.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Punisher #226

Hahaha christ, I feel like you need to release annotated editions of all your work for us regular folks who miss these callbacks and references.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's 2002. I am reading the Something Awful forums on my friend's account, where the Udon Taskmaster suit is being praised. It's 2021. I am reading opinions on my comic book, Taskmaster. Skulls rule.

I chortled.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's cause Taskmaster rules

Agent X - Vol 5

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh wait this is the Funny Panels thread not the Badass Thread!

Taskmaster sucks!

Deadpool (2016) #7

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Udon suit is cool, but Skull Mask is way funnier. Do a series where he accidently becomes the guardian of a child and still has to do mercenary poo poo and you can go back to the Udon suit because it scares the child less.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Infinitum posted:

Agent X - Vol 5

He looks like a knockoff doom here.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Infinitum posted:

Agent X - Vol 5

He does, but Chow Yun Fat (and John Woo) grew up in Hong Kong. Chinese and English are spoken in Hong Kong, not Japanese.

C'mon Taskmaster, get your poo poo right!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think the other guys in the scene are speaking Japanese.

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
I think those are supposed to be separate things, that he can do martial arts and shoot with two guns from the movie, but also he can speak Japanese.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, he learned punching dudes and catching their guns from the Chow Yun Fat marathon. He learned Japanese elsewhere.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Taskmaster is good.

(Fanart rather than offical, but still good. Artist has drawn a few boobs, so other stuff may be nsfw.)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hotlink wasn't showing up for me.

House of Mystery #28 (1954)

Icon #6 (1993)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 18, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If we're posting taskmaster, the only two good pages in all of Secret empire

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the comics world have any mainstream (I know that's a relative term) professional henchpeople other than Taskmaster and Batroc? I like that shtick. Show up to go against whoever's actually on the cover and don't need an introduction or explanation why they're involved.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's a ton. The bar with no name is literally the hangout for professional henchpeople. Like half of Spidey and DD's enemy roster chill there

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked Batroc's line as a Delaying Action Henchperson whenever it comes up in this thread, and I'm honestly a little stoked to find out he's coming back to the MCU for the Falcon and Bucky show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My exposure to Bartoc only comes from Marvel Heroes, where I will always remember him as Bartoc Silly-Bear.