Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
just got power back on over here in texas. having to boil our water for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/superswagren/status/1361593456385138688

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pryor on Fire posted:

the portion of people who will forever think this was a special super magical cold that froze all the natural gas and diesel fuel can't prevent that from happening! will be approximately 90%

The alternative narrative
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1361799173641805825/photo/1

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's such an incredibly stupid lie too because there are wind turbines in cold places. what happens to those turbines in Wisconsin fox news? do they all freeze in the winter?? do they really???

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
only little lies need some truth to them. that's the beauty of the big lie

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Wind turbines put poo poo in my pants.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Warm yourself up by your bootstraps!

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1361820009463304193

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Everyone is going to forget about this in months. It’s not like there’s an election or something where being cruel to your own town may have consequences to your political party

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Everyone is going to forget about this in months. It’s not like there’s an election or something where being cruel to your own town may have consequences to your political party

He already resigned apparently

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

shirts and skins posted:

He already resigned apparently

lmao

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stereotype posted:

it's such an incredibly stupid lie too because there are wind turbines in cold places. what happens to those turbines in Wisconsin fox news? do they all freeze in the winter?? do they really???

there really were some wind energy sources that shut down to the cold, as far as i can tell from following local (texas) reporters on twitter, but wind was the least impacted of all yhe energy sources that went down

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Finicums Wake posted:

there really were some wind energy sources that shut down to the cold, as far as i can tell from following local (texas) reporters on twitter, but wind was the least impacted of all yhe energy sources that went down

texas must be using bargain basement wind turbines then, because there are wind turbines in antarctica that have been operating for a decade. personally i think it is just a huge unabashed lie because conservatives just don't give a poo poo about the truth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm parish

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

id expect that they wouldn't bother winterizing the turbines or installing defrosters in the blades or whatever it is they're lacking since they never expected to reasonably need them.

the larger meme takes hold because it's just another iteration of the "liberals are dumb hippies and are replacing stuff that works with lovely poo poo that doesn't work and claiming it's more eco friendly" thing that has been a right wing article of faith for decades. it's identical to trump going on long tangents during his rallies ranting about low flow toilets you have to flush five times or eco friendly washing machines that break all the time

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

DesertIslandHermit posted:

the question is whether those consequences would be positive or negative, because there's plenty of people who agree with that 100%, possibly even while freezing to death themselves

the cruelty, after all, is the point

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Conservatives using the crisis to take shots at green energy and not experiencing the consequences of their actions is par for the course (loving Greg Abbot sitting nice and toasty in the governors mansion. Some of these ERCOT assholes cutting power to people don’t even live in Texas), but the blackouts have also purified my hate for liberals. Apparently everyone in Texas should freeze to death because Ted Cruz sucks (he does).

https://twitter.com/jaboukie/status/1361743738654117888

Stay out of the replies.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My parish are with the father who lost his chrilden

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The liberals mocking the mass death of the poor and marginalized dont even have a solution lol, they'd never support any market controls to prevent this. Just there to gawk like the monsters they are

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

died with hypothermia, not of

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

APOLLONIA NOOOOOOOO

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

might wanna put on a helmet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

The liberals mocking the mass death of the poor and marginalized dont even have a solution lol, they'd never support any market controls to prevent this. Just there to gawk like the monsters they are

New Orleans just got a text from the mayor saying we're getting rolling blackouts for the rest of the night because some nonprofit system operator requested them.

It made me think of the new Adam Curtis documentary where he talks about neoliberals handing over politicians' power to NGOs and the private sector. Since they never offer to improve anyone's life, it's easier now they can't be blamed for not doing anything. Some organization you've never heard of before and could never change if your life depended on it is in charge of the energy grid, not elected officials. Cool.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Epic High Five posted:

No you don't understand, those 8 year olds deserve to freeze, they live near chuds

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

welp they just took my power i assume to give to someone else. that’s ok tho my house is too poorly insulated for the heater to keep up anyway

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

glad i charged my kindle at least.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Me, burning my books for warmth: chalk up another win for print

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

glad i charged my kindle at least.

this is why I got one of those hand cranked emergency lights with a USB charge bank. I may freeze to death if everything drops but by god they'll find my corpse grinning with Combat Liberalism on proud display

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
8 hours without power isn't much fun. Could have been worse, and shitposting by quill and parchment illuminated by candle light just isn't the same.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know it's the weather thread, but capitalism:

quote:

Texas wholesale electric prices spike more than 10,000% amid outages

Hope y'all on a fixed price plan.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

APOLLONIA NOOOOOOOO

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What even is the loving point of government if it isn't to do all the things we as individuals cannot and to serve the common weal?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What even is the loving point of government if it isn't to do all the things we as individuals cannot and to serve the common weal?

To loot institutions and get your rich buddies even richer...

These people don't want to govern they want to rule over us.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The modern right wing is just a loop of this ad infinitum-

1. Right-wing agitator/media person whines about government being bad

2. Said person runs for office and wins

3. That person proceeds to make government worse

4. Another more conservative person replaces them when people get upset after some time

5. Repeat 1-4

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The modern right wing doesn't understand civics at even a middle school level.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"law and order"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now you're on the trolley (they don't want government to exist because they're too stupid to understand that their wealth and power are fundamentally predicated on it)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
got my power back after a day and a half. time to Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Now you're on the trolley (they don't want government to exist because they're too stupid to understand that their wealth and power are fundamentally predicated on it)

they understand that they need the cops to protect their property rights, which is why the only functions of government that they like is the police and the military