Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

silence_kit posted:

it usually is done kind of lovingly, and is never vicious.
The Female Space Bookstore characters are pretty terrible in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

ultrafilter posted:

When did the 90s start then? The best demarcation I can think of is Nevermind's release.

The 90’s is the fall of the Berlin Wall to 9/11

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Portlandia could not be conceived post-Trump

A lot of it seems like a time capsule mercifully preserved from a more innocent time but a lot of it also comes of as weirdly misplaced and mean-spirited in hindsight, or taking the wrong lessons from its era and environment.

Like so much media in the first half of the 2010s was like arrogantly comfortable in the perceived cultural gains of the Obama years and looking for every opportunity to apologize for the excesses of the lefter, more progressive fringe. People (especially those in power) refusing to call the Tea Party the fascist, revanchist movement that it was, etc.

My partner had never seen the Marvel movies and we've been watching them in order, and the whole language of those Phase 1 movies feels like it's from a million years ago. The first two Iron Man films in particular feel very interesting, especially the Elon Musk cameo from before he basically tried to position himself as a real-life Tony Stark.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Yeah, I can get with that. It's that era of the Soviets falling and the whole "we could be nuked at any moment :ohdear:" tension evaporating in a cloud of drugs and bright neon clothing.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This is how I've always seen it. I graduated in 2001, turned 18 just after the towers fell. Big year for me, and it certainly felt like a big year for everyone.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cars, but especially Honda, in the 90’s is still a huge nostalgic spot for me.

Tiny cars

With removable tops

That stow in the somehow massive trunk

Zig-zag floor mats and striped seats

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Tiny cars

With removable tops

hell yes. 90s Hondas, VW mk4s (got to drive around in the 97 Cabrio when I visited the parents for the holidays), BMW E36s

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Tiny cars

With removable tops

My best friend in 2008 had one of these, in that exact color, interior and wheels. Only the single-cam 125hp engine, but still fun as hell to throw around and make vtec kick in, yo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

yeah, the 90s was the period after the Evil Empire fell apart and some people let themselves become convinced that the End of History had arrived. then some naughty rascals crashed planes into buildings and history started again. it's all downhill from there.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is very clearly a sendup of the YoGo Gorilla ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbhjgLGBAI

Dude this is absolutely buck wild

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mentioned how my Goth girl thing comes from the video for Stay, and I'm pretty sure Redheads are a thing due to Cathy Dennis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xiwxfxVUZA
Awkward as this song is on the playlist at work now. Though i can appreciate it on the level of my love for cheesy 90s dance music.

Apparently she wrote a bunch of Britney Spear's biggest hits? Crazy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

twistedmentat posted:

Mentioned how my Goth girl thing comes from the video for Stay, and I'm pretty sure Redheads are a thing due to Cathy Dennis.

Shirley Manson must've drat near killed you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabant posted:

Shirley Manson must've drat near killed you.

Yup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4

Also their Drummer, Butch Vig, was the producer on Nirvana and did a remix of House of Pain's Shamrocks and Shenanigans, which sounds like a St Patrick's day cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGQDqY-_5w

House of Pain always felt a bit, i dunno, nazi to me. I mean maybe it was just the goatees and shaved heads that screemed Neo-Nazi to me. Probably their one note We're IRISH MOTHERFUCKERS didn't help. I don't know if DJ Lethal going to Limp Bizkit is an up or downgrade?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:same:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

House of Pain always felt a bit, i dunno, nazi to me. I mean maybe it was just the goatees and shaved heads that screemed Neo-Nazi to me. Probably their one note We're IRISH MOTHERFUCKERS didn't help. I don't know if DJ Lethal going to Limp Bizkit is an up or downgrade?

how about Everlast going full-bore blue-eyed soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1nGPM9yHA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Alaois posted:

how about Everlast going full-bore blue-eyed soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1nGPM9yHA

That's just bad, and that goatee and shades look was just kind of generic tough guy look at the time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

Also their Drummer, Butch Vig, was the producer on Nirvana and did a remix of House of Pain's Shamrocks and Shenanigans, which sounds like a St Patrick's day cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGQDqY-_5w

They do say "I don't eat pig 'cause a pig is a cop" and also generally, at the time it was still pretty weird for white guys to be involved in hip-hop, including working with some of the same producers as artists of color. That's not to say it's impossible that any of them ever became radical right-wingers; but at least during the time they put that music out, it's hard to imagine they would be.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Sir Lemming posted:

They do say "I don't eat pig 'cause a pig is a cop" and also generally, at the time it was still pretty weird for white guys to be involved in hip-hop, including working with some of the same producers as artists of color. That's not to say it's impossible that any of them ever became radical right-wingers; but at least during the time they put that music out, it's hard to imagine they would be.

I read a story about House of Pain being on tour with the Irish band Therapy? and they got very excited about a genuine Irish bar, in Ireland. Which is kind of adorable.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

skyelevator posted:

I read a story about House of Pain being on tour with the Irish band Therapy? and they got very excited about a genuine Irish bar, in Ireland. Which is kind of adorable.

Isn't any bar in Ireland a genuine Irish bar?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those juice packs still exist, or at least the form-factor does. I know they're A Thing in Japan for some beverages there, and I swear I've seen an American juice or soda using them too.

I don't know if they still do, but Hood used to make, of all things, sour cream in that form factor, for when you got a to-go order of like, potato skins or tacos or whatever from one of those ubiquitous Greek-owned Italian places around here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
it took me until like 2019 to learn that house of pain wasn’t from Boston, and I’ve lived here for almost a decade and In the periphery of Boston my whole life

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

it took me until like 2019 to learn that house of pain wasn’t from Boston, and I’ve lived here for almost a decade and In the periphery of Boston my whole life

It took me until this post to learn that.
Never been to Boston so maybe that is part of the reason.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't any bar in Ireland a genuine Irish bar?

Yep, that's what I meant :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir Lemming posted:

And white rappers were not respected, check out my earlier post of horribly unflattering renderings of some of them from 1999. As i said in that post, and to expand on it, they were seen and interlopers and when you think about it, most white rappers either rapped about their heritage, like house of pain, or were kinda party rap or bragging poo poo. You didn't have NWA, Snoop, Public Enemy, KRS-1, Nas level street cred white guys.

Beasties got kinda grandfathered in because they were early enough.

I may be wrong though, I am not an expert on hip hop history.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beastie Boys were also not a one-trick pony. They had real musical chops and changed their style enough over the years to keep it interesting.

They had the benefit of not having every song be "were the best because we're from New York" or whatever.

They also have the proud distinction of not trying to coop the black and latinx culture of hip-hop and instead carved out their own weird niche.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who was a dumpy nu metal teen, the shaved head + goatee was just the style at the time. At worst, it might have been appropriated from black rappers.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Feb 17, 2021

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

As a kid with PS1 (or PSX as we inexplicably called it :D ) demo discs there were occasionally some pure 90's essence videos in there as a bonus. I thought this was the greatest commercial of all time, and tbh I don't think that was wrong

https://youtube.com/watch?v=i1YcSCDrNxE

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tonfa posted:

As a kid with PS1 (or PSX as we inexplicably called it :D )

"Before it launched the console was code named PlayStation X. The gaming media called it PSX, and even though the X was dropped the name stuck, especially online, where people would rather say PSX than spell out "PlayStation." The 90s were big on abbreviations (LMAO, for instance, and GCN for GameCube). "

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The letter "X" in general was very 90s, the decade of Generation X's ascendance, the X-Games, MegaMan X, things being "Xtreme" and of course the X-Files and X-Men having big presences.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

The letter "X" in general was very 90s, the decade of Generation X's ascendance, the X-Games, MegaMan X, things being "Xtreme" and of course the X-Files and X-Men having big presences.

It might also have been a whole "The Play Station was developed with nintendo we don't know if we can get away with playstation" thing as well.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Neito posted:

It might also have been a whole "The Play Station was developed with nintendo we don't know if we can get away with playstation" thing as well.

Totally, I was more theorizing why "X" stuck with fans and the gaming press (who would have spread the PSX nomenclature).

Uh also Jason X* and X-Com came out in the 90s and I forgot those.

*2001, which was still the 90s until September.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Malcolm X hats were absolutely everywhere for a while, as well. There were a lot of varieties, but the one I saw most was the simple black ballcap with a single white X on the front.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The letter X is pretty much the most important letter in the alphabet.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The letter E would like to have a word with you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Don't you guys remember high school algebra? X was the default unknown variable.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It also marks the spot :pirate:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fartknocker posted:

It also marks the spot :pirate:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It also gon’ give it to you

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Beastie Boys were also not a one-trick pony. They had real musical chops and changed their style enough over the years to keep it interesting.

They had the benefit of not having every song be "were the best because we're from New York" or whatever.

They also have the proud distinction of not trying to coop the black and latinx culture of hip-hop and instead carved out their own weird niche.

It also took a long time before Beastie Boys were considered to be anything more than a gimmick. They had some cred early on because they were one of the first Def Jam acts, but that good will went away once they left the label and moved to LA and Capitol Records. 3rd Bass was seen as the legitimate white rap act when Pauls Boutique came out, and even though that album is seen as influential today, it was initially considered a failure and was largely overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

But then he proved himself wrong, the spot he has to smash open in the library in Venice was a big X.