Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Twitch posted:

There's also a wrestling thread in GBS, it's one of those threads where the OP wanted to mock something but everyone just came in to talk about how much they love wrestling instead. I mostly just like hearing about wrestling secondhand from fans online.

This podcast is pretty good for people that don't want to actually watch the wrestling, but still find it interesting to hear about : https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV_qemO0oatiNhgaf6PWzyxYRcP8f4jB1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

This also sounds like Shea Serrano, a writer for the ringer who wrote Movies and Other Things.

It was very funny when he said that and a bunch of people got mad because they thought he was a professional film critic and not a goofball who writes about basketball and Van Damme movies.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Thinky Whale posted:

A joke so bafflingly lame that I ended up laughing at it, so I guess the joke's on me.

Sounds like someone needs to forget gumwaa

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thinky Whale posted:

A joke so bafflingly lame that I ended up laughing at it, so I guess the joke's on me.

Nothing in this sector of jokes will ever be as horrifyingly tortured as that one about the Catholic priest who comes running into the seminary in horror yelling "There's an R! There's an R! It's celibrate"

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

kirbysuperstar posted:

He also wrote ("wrote") for Breitbart and if I remember right was very very vocal about gamergate despite having self proclaimed no interest in video games or video game journalism at all.

Not only that, didn't he have a history of mocking gamers for being losers, etc, before becoming their champion?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

wizzardstaff posted:

Not only that, didn't he have a history of mocking gamers for being losers, etc, before becoming their champion?

I feel like there's some hefty redundancy here, but i'm not sure the exact point it happens.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
At least this one is no longer IOSM, but good lord.

Anti-Mask Disney Princess Page Targeted At Kids Abruptly Shuts Down

quote:

This is a place for children to interact with their favourite characters and learn about the government’s restrictions of our freedoms that threaten the prosperity of our lives in a fun way

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Loving that phrasing, god drat

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Data Graham posted:

Loving that phrasing, god drat

I think every dog within a 10 mile area just went deaf.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean mostly I was laughing at "that threaten the prosperity of our lives in a fun way" but yeah

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

letthereberock posted:

It just occurred to me that Blazing Saddles came out in 1974.

Seriously, gently caress these people

The Great Race. Some Like It Hot. Both still completely accessible.

Thesis: Comedies can age better than serious drama, if their jokes aren't racist/sexist/whatever?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I watched Roman Holiday with my kids a few weeks ago and they loved it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thesis: Comedies can age better than serious drama, if their jokes aren't racist/sexist/whatever?

It depends on how willing you are to laugh at jokes you've already heard a bunch, a lot of the great comedies get ripped off so much younger audiences may have heard half the material a dozen times or so. Which also happens to the great dramas I guess. The only thing that ages Casablanca is nearly every scene in it has been referenced a couple dozen times by later works.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1362060722243575809?s=19
o i c

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It depends on the comedy, I think. The more rooted it is to a particular time and place the worse it's going to age as we move from that.

I took a class about the history of comedy in theatre once and one of the things that we learned was about this idea of the "ladder" of comedy where you have this distinction between low comedy and high comedy.

IIRC starting from the bottom it goes

-Obscentiy (toilet humor for example)

- Physical mishap (slapstick)

-Plot Device (mistaken identity, contrived situations)

- Verbal wit (puns and such)

- Inconsistency of Character (Basically a character acting in a way that violates their normal behavior. Can't think of a good example off the top of my head but Fraiser probably uses this a lot)

- Comedy of Ideas (satire is found here. This is comedy rooted in the norms and ideals of society)

Of course just because a form of humor is lower on the ladder doesn't mean it's worse. The idea is just that as you move farther up the ladder the comedy becomes more rooted in a particular context. Verbal humor doesn't really work if you don't know the language, and satire doesn't really land if you're not familiar with what's being satirized. On the other hand you don't really need a lot of cultural context for the Three Stooges or Buster Keaton.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just watched Some Like It Hot like a week ago. That's a funny fuckin' movie, and not even just "for the time"

It's all drag humor too and not much of it is even reprehensible by today's standards

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Humans are actually donuts, checkmate abortionailures.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Fister Roboto posted:

His head is so far up his rear end this is technically correct.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Have the Rush defenders started their bullshit? Either audience, really.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Check out Fox News' homepage and you'll see more of it than you want to.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Yeah go ask some frozen people now who haven't had power or had pipes burst and see how well that goes over.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah go ask some frozen people now who haven't had power or had pipes burst and see how well that goes over.

Haven't you heard, if they don't have power it's due to their poor upbringing and they need to just man up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The sheer effort of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps should provide enough warmth for you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The "you have to be respectful when someone dies" crowd is out in full force whining about how awful it is that anyone would be happy about it

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

The "you have to be respectful when someone dies" crowd is out in full force whining about how awful it is that anyone would be happy about it

Ask them if George Floyd deserved what he got.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

I suppose one of the big things you could point to is how older movies tended towards an acting style that was more theatrical as opposed to a naturalistic one, but I'm still not sure I'd put Jaws as the dividing line and certainly The Godfather would make the cut in any event.

It's the editing. Spielberg basically changed how action was shot, and invented modern cinema in the process. It clearly set the template for future action movies, but it impacted every genre; there's a reason the Godfather is 3hrs long while Goodfellas is only 2. Editing got tighter and more story-focused, and films got shorter.

So people are right when they say that movies before that point feel different; they are different. But that difference is mostly just slower, stodgier, and more boring rather than drawing from an entirely different visual language incomprehensible to a modern viewer. If you think Citizen Cane is like movie hieroglyphics then an actual staged play would leave you sobbing in confusion. "I don't like how the story never addresses the characters who wear all black and move the furniture around in the dark."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

donuts have 1 through hole, humans have 7 i think.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
3, if you count each nostril as one. Mouth to anus, and then the sinus cavity, everything else dead ends into an organ.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

there wolf posted:

"I don't like how the story never addresses the characters who wear all black and move the furniture around in the dark."

Those are Ninjas, duh

Edit: yes I’m aware

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Feb 17, 2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

3, if you count each nostril as one. Mouth to anus, and then the sinus cavity, everything else dead ends into an organ.

Assuming no piercings.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

letthereberock posted:

Those are Ninjas, duh

You might be deliberately referencing this but that's actually exactly where the idea of ninjas dressing in all black actually comes from.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gats Akimbo posted:

Assuming no piercings.

I don't think you're supposed to pierce your sinuses.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I don't think you're supposed to pierce your sinuses.

Whatever you say, square

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

christmas boots posted:

You might be deliberately referencing this but that's actually exactly where the idea of ninjas dressing in all black actually comes from.

It would really spice up a lot of those talky plays if a stagehand came out and stabbed one of the principal actors with a prop knife. Or a real one. W/e

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

donuts have 1 through hole, humans have 7 i think.
https://youtu.be/egEraZP9yXQ

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

there wolf posted:

So people are right when they say that movies before that point feel different; they are different. But that difference is mostly just slower, stodgier, and more boring rather than drawing from an entirely different visual language incomprehensible to a modern viewer.

Get a load of the guy who's never seen The Manchurian Candidate, Seconds, The French Connection, or any of Alfred Hitchcock's films.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I'd actually argue that modern films are slower than older films, in terms of editing and writing. Lots of movies from the 30s-60s had lightning-quick editing, crisp dialogue, complex camera movements, and not a lot of dead air. Compare that to "serious" films from the late 90s to today, with long takes, zero camera movement, deadpan actors, long serious silences.

Not that I'm its biggest fan,but Citizen Kane has so much going on, constantly draws the eye in. Compared to any of the heavy, plodding work by modern filmmakers like Aronofsky, Mendes, Fincher, or Nolan? It's practically electric.

Dynastocles has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Feb 17, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dynastocles posted:

I'd actually argue that modern films are slower than older films, in terms of editing and writing. Lots of movies from the 30s-60s had lightning-quick editing, crisp dialogue, complex camera movements, and not a lot of dead air. Compare that to "serious" films from the late 90s to today, with long takes, zero camera movement, deadpan actors, long serious silences.

Not that I'm its biggest fan,but Citizen Kane has so much going on, constantly draws the eye in. Compared to any of the heavy, plodding work by modern filmmakers like Aronofsky, Mendes, Fincher, or Nolan? It's practically electric.

That's definitely the exception and not the rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Just alone for The Sting and Cool Hand Luke the guy's a ding dong