Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

All our beef dreams are dead. This is what MLB needs to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Rowdy ain't Rowdy I'm gonna be PISSED

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Give it a couple months into the season and all these BSOHL guys will be back on the beef.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Ryu has abs....well I'll allow that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If Ryu has abs....well I'll allow that
there is an episode of Ryu on some Korean variety show (Running Man, i think?) where the audience tries to guess if he can accomplish certain weird feats. One of them is using this bizarre hula hoop that has a bunch of knobs on the inside. He crushes it like he's got abs of steel.

I couldn't find the video of Ryu doing it but here's what the hula hoop looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMauGZ2O-o

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Javy Baez retweeted this and it's not technically baseball but whatever, just postin'

https://twitter.com/javy23baez/status/1361817423813304321

How is softball pitching motion a thing? It just looks unnatural in every way and my shoulder hurts just from watching it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

turns out the softball pitching motion is much better for your shoulder, and pitcher usage reflects this

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

turns out the softball pitching motion is much better for your shoulder, and pitcher usage reflects this

I actually don't think this is true.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

How is softball pitching motion a thing? It just looks unnatural in every way and my shoulder hurts just from watching it.

https://twitter.com/alanmstover/status/1361418925225873408

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fastpitch pitchers use more parts of their body to generate the speed as opposed to pitchers using a lot of their shoulder and elbow. Having dated a former pitcher, their chest on their pitching side is pure muscle which isn't the case for a baseball pitcher.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

this rear end in a top hat is getting rightfully dragged in the replies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sport is doing well

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

This dude, under a different name, is in every single thread making the exact same reply about women doing something athletic. So consistent that you’d almost think they spawned in reply threads and only then found empty-headed bodies to inhabit.

Every single one of these dudes is also frothingly angry about trans or intersex athletes participating in women’s sports.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm loving picturing the dude whose response to seeing an incredible sports play like that is to immediately say lol women

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm glad that Cool Tags are a thing now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1362118071738109954

No idea who the other two scrubs are but Hughes gonna get to call some games on TV this year which owns. He and JD will be an interesting duo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1362118071738109954

No idea who the other two scrubs are but Hughes gonna get to call some games on TV this year which owns. He and JD will be an interesting duo.

Chris Myers is the Fox Sports guy who was originally reported to be taking over for Kasper, but the Cubs backtracked from it after some initial outcry because he's said some really lovely, racist things.

DeShaies is probably liking the new partnerships. He would occasionally get incredibly ornery on the air when Kasper would bring up advanced stats, and both Myers and Hughes pretty much avoid anything beyond OPS. Although Sciambi sucks, so the Cubs' TV presence is going to suck in general this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just please no more 3 person booths, they're universally terrible.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve never liked softball because I always thought women should just play baseball

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Gary, Keith and Ron are very disappointed in you

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I liked the jays broadcasts when it was pat buck and Dan Shulman

I also like just pat and buck but it always seemed better when Dan was added in to the mix

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Timby posted:

Chris Myers is the Fox Sports guy who was originally reported to be taking over for Kasper, but the Cubs backtracked from it after some initial outcry because he's said some really lovely, racist things.

DeShaies is probably liking the new partnerships. He would occasionally get incredibly ornery on the air when Kasper would bring up advanced stats, and both Myers and Hughes pretty much avoid anything beyond OPS. Although Sciambi sucks, so the Cubs' TV presence is going to suck in general this year.

I'll love Pat Hughes forever, but I don't think I've ever heard him mention OPS, and if he did he would do it in a way that made it very clear he didn't care about it and didn't think you should care about it either.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Popete posted:

*Stares in Gary, Keith, and Ron*

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Popete posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfuqqy9CTto

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve never liked softball because I always thought women should just play baseball

I'm fine with softball given that its been around a long while and has built up traditions, but agreed that it was bullshit they moved girls away from playing baseball in the 1970s when places were finally required to let girls and young women play sports in school/college.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Agreed. What's the reason that women play softball instead of baseball?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Agreed. What's the reason that women play softball instead of baseball?

[Twitter dipshit voice]: S'right there in the name, fella!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I actually don't think this is true.
A cursory google search suggests it is likely true.

Shoulder injury rate higher in baseball than softball

Reuters posted:

Arm overuse injuries are among the most common types of injuries in both baseball and softball. In the new study, published in the journal Pediatrics, researchers sought to find out how common shoulder injuries are among high school players, and whether the nature of the injuries differs between boys and girls.

Using injury reports from athletic trainers at 74 U.S. high schools, the researchers found that softball players sustained shoulder injuries at a rate of one injury for every 10,000 practices and games an athlete attended.

The rate among baseball players was 1.7 shoulder injuries per 10,000 “athlete exposures” -- or 70 percent higher than the rate among girls, according to the researchers, led by Dr. R. Dawn Comstock of the Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

Among baseball players, pitchers were at greatest risk, accounting for 38 percent of injuries. Among softball players, in contrast, shoulder injuries were more evenly dispersed; pitchers, catchers and first base players each accounted for 15 percent of injuries.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

broke: women should play softball because baseball is for manly men
woke: everyone should play baseball, the gender segregation is dumb and sexist
bespoke: everyone should play softball because the pitching motion is marginally less damaging

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

galaxy brain take: all amateurs should play softball, in school probably up until the high school level at which point players of any gender who are Serious About Playing can switch to baseball

also: 16" is better than 12". it's four more better.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone should play cricket because moon-rules baseball is the best baseball

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I spent years thinking cricket was insane bullshit that I would never be able to learn, and then a couple months ago I watched a four minute youtube video that laid the rules out and was all "oh huh okay it's actually pretty simple."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm fine with softball given that its been around a long while and has built up traditions, but agreed that it was bullshit they moved girls away from playing baseball in the 1970s when places were finally required to let girls and young women play sports in school/college.

Before the 70's there were multiple women who competed with top-level men in baseball. Jackie Mitchell, Lizzy Murphy, Babe Didrickson, Mamie Johnson. Stubblebeard Grimes tried to get Kennesaw Mountain Landis to overturn the ban on women in MLB, but it remained in place until 1992. Nowadays it's much rarer for women to practice baseball because they generally practice softball instead, and the skills involved aren't very transferable.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Shrecknet posted:

Freddie Freeman is honestly wasted on baseball, he’d be such a god-tier cricketer

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

I spent years thinking cricket was insane bullshit that I would never be able to learn, and then a couple months ago I watched a four minute youtube video that laid the rules out and was all "oh huh okay it's actually pretty simple."

I had the same experience and am bummed that most matches are not something I can watch easily

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Cricket is the perfect sport for people who bemoan the increase in home runs and long for the days of small-ball and great defensive plays. There are way more balls in play and fielding without gloves is aesthetically impressive.

The best summary comparison I've come across:

In baseball, outs are common and runs are rare
In cricket, runs are common and outs are rare

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
e: ^some of my favourite bits of cricket fielding are run-outs - think a ground-ball play where a 3B or SS has to barehand the ball, except instead of having a big first baseman with a glove to aim at they've got a piece of wood less than 2 inches thick

the only semi-complicated cricket rule that's actually necessary in high-level games is LBW and even that's not really any harder to understand than the infield fly rule

all the other stuff is a holdover from the early days of the game and basically only ever gets used in village games where a team might (for example) have a tree in the field of play

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 18, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess tomorrow we get some clarity on what minor league baseball is going to look like this year

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1362062244515897347?s=20

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1362200928259092482?s=19

Tebow retiring from baseball to pursue his true passion: circumcising impoverished children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I liked the jays broadcasts when it was pat buck and Dan Shulman

I also like just pat and buck but it always seemed better when Dan was added in to the mix

Pat Tabler seems like a nice person but he is terrible!