Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

sticklefifer posted:

Why did AEW keep the dumb Fyter Fest name for a second year? The name and logo being references to Fyre Festival were already dated by the time of the first event. Was it a trademark thing?

It was also paired alongside an annual fighting game tournament event in FL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it became a famous aew trademark thanks to the high quality and large amount of success of the first event

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Revolution is also kinda of a hack name.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I like Revolution.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

If they lean really hard into the 90s cyberpunk aesthetic I can accept it. Or make it Revolutionary War themed.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Or put the ring on a big turntable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I wish they would rotate in names for Full Gear/Revolution. Neither name is really that memorable. Keep Double or Nothing and All Out as annual things.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Revolution has been renamed to wii

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

AEW: Hell to Pay on National Cereal Day

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can someone explain in interesting detail:

- Why did Ron Simmons get the world title? Was he the right guy to get the 'lottery' pick?
- Did he have good matches as champ?
- What was his initial long term plan?
- How did he do on top, business wise, versus what was expected?
- Did he ever get another look at another run on top after he lost the belt?
- Did Vince consider making him champ in the WWF?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Full Gear name is super weird to keep around, it's an obscure reference to a Hangman Page gag on BTE that was already done by the time the show started (they quietly dropped the joke once people called it out for body-shaming)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Red posted:

- Why did Ron Simmons get the world title? Was he the right guy to get the 'lottery' pick?
After the initial pomp and circumstance around the title win, he wasn't really booked like a champion. He wasn't headlining, his challengers weren't being built properly, etc. (Watts had a history of doing this with his top champion in Mid-South at times, as well.) So...yeah.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Benne posted:

The Full Gear name is super weird to keep around, it's an obscure reference to a Hangman Page gag on BTE that was already done by the time the show started (they quietly dropped the joke once people called it out for body-shaming)

They had really good set-design for a change so I can forgive it. Anything can work if you lean into it

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

full gear's like revolution to me in that it's a perfectly acceptable generic major show name that doesn't stick out as particularly good or bad. fyter fest is kinda silly but it's not the first time a reference to something mildly topical at the time stuck around years after the reference lost any real relevance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Royal Updog posted:

Revolution is also kinda of a hack name.

Revolution is a bit too WWA, tbh.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Thauros posted:

full gear's like revolution to me in that it's a perfectly acceptable generic major show name that doesn't stick out as particularly good or bad. fyter fest is kinda silly but it's not the first time a reference to something mildly topical at the time stuck around years after the reference lost any real relevance.

Mad Max 2 & 3, the two movies everyone in wrestling saw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

Pulling a lot of this from Foley's first book, Watts, despite being a large (in several senses of the word) was/is a huge racist but also knew black folks liked wrestling and would probably pay to see a black person as champion. It worked with Junkyard Dog in Mid-South* but... I love Ron, but he didn't have JYD's charisma (few do) so he didn't really draw but I don't think '92 was a great business year all around. The rest is as Bix says. The biggest angle he had was with Barbarian and I love Barb but he wasn't pushed as a main event challenger until suddenly he was. Cactus was injured. They just didn't have anybody for him to face they were willing to have him go against. I know they brought in the Miracle Violence Connection for the Steiners but it might have been fun to see Doc or Gordy challenge him.

*Amusingly Watts had tried the same thing earlier in Mid-South with Ron's future tag partner Butch Reed (RIP) but it also didn't work because the Dog was easy to love and had some great angles.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

1) This is my own belief, but I only believe Watts gave him the belt because he had had success with the JYD main eventing in Mid-South, and had been desperately trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle with various other African-American wrestlers (Butch Reed, The Snowman, Savannah Jack). As for the "right" pick. He was firmly established as a mid card guy after the Doom break-up, and had a one month reign as US Tag Team Champions with Big Josh in Jan. 92. (and before Doom, he was really nothing more than a glorified jobber. He wouldn't lose to jobbers, but he'd always be the one losing against a "name" wrestler.) He really had no momentum for getting the pick.
2) Not really. He had a feud with the heel Lex Luger, but Luger's heel run as WCW champ wasn't that great. His other big feud was with The Barbarian, who had just returned from his WWF run, and The Barbarian had never really set the world on fire before, so people weren't interested. Not even with Cactus Jack acting as The Barbarian's manager.
3 & 4) Again, just my opinion, but I think Watts hoped Simmons could pop the gates like JYD had done, and bring in huge crowds. But other than his tag run with Butch Reed as Doom, he wasn't really anybody. So people just weren't interested in him.
5) No. He soon turned heel, and challenged for the US and TV titles, but he was never considered a threat.
6) Probably not. His debut was as "Farooq Asad- The Modern Day Gladiator", where he wore a ridiculous outfit and was managed by Sunny. And even though his later NOD gimmick was big, I don't think Vince had him penciled as "The Guy".

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ron Simmons was pretty terrible if we're being honest

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Benne posted:

Ron Simmons was pretty terrible if we're being honest

He had some great moves (his spinebuster was great, and he had a neat flip over the ropes), but hell if I can recall a singles match with Simmons that stands out in my mind. Most of his WWF stuff paired him off against Ahmed, and he had a meh match with Owen. I don't recall his matches with Rocky being great outside of the crowd-popping spots (and Rocky wasn't THE ROCK yet), but then, most guys didn't get a lot of time for matches during that era, so only the main events got decent time.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

As a young wrestling fan knowing Farooq only from his Nation/APA days, finding out he was a former WCW champ blew my mind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

He had some great moves (his spinebuster was great, and he had a neat flip over the ropes), but hell if I can recall a singles match with Simmons that stands out in my mind. Most of his WWF stuff paired him off against Ahmed, and he had a meh match with Owen. I don't recall his matches with Rocky being great outside of the crowd-popping spots (and Rocky wasn't THE ROCK yet), but then, most guys didn't get a lot of time for matches during that era, so only the main events got decent time.

Watts pushed him mostly because he had the legit athlete sheen the Cowboy craved so. It's funny watching Doom under the masks because Butch is on a different level work-wise.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Seeing Ron Simmons in WWE in the blue gladiator gear is like seeing what the Ric Flair Spartacus gimmick would’ve been like.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Watts pushed him mostly because he had the legit athlete sheen the Cowboy craved so. It's funny watching Doom under the masks because Butch is on a different level work-wise.

And Butch was pretty well cooked by then. Ron's best work might be better than Butch's worst (his WWF run), but Butch Reed was a legitimately great worker. Ron not so much. You can make some awesome gifs out of moments from his career, but I can't think of any great matches. I'd love to hear of some.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Bidness posted:

And Butch was pretty well cooked by then. Ron's best work might be better than Butch's worst (his WWF run), but Butch Reed was a legitimately great worker. Ron not so much. You can make some awesome gifs out of moments from his career, but I can't think of any great matches. I'd love to hear of some.

Yeah. :smith:

I mean, I like Simmons, but I just can't recall him having a great match.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The dominator is a great finisher regardless

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ken shamrock bleeding from the mouth, thanks to a brutal dominator. ken shamrock bleeding from the mouth thanks to a brutal hip toss. internal bleeding

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ken Shamrock had no organs. He was just a large sack of blood and sometimes he leaked, okay?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Red posted:

:drat:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Pulling a lot of this from Foley's first book, Watts, despite being a large (in several senses of the word) was/is a huge racist but also knew black folks liked wrestling and would probably pay to see a black person as champion. It worked with Junkyard Dog in Mid-South* but... I love Ron, but he didn't have JYD's charisma (few do) so he didn't really draw but I don't think '92 was a great business year all around. The rest is as Bix says. The biggest angle he had was with Barbarian and I love Barb but he wasn't pushed as a main event challenger until suddenly he was. Cactus was injured. They just didn't have anybody for him to face they were willing to have him go against. I know they brought in the Miracle Violence Connection for the Steiners but it might have been fun to see Doc or Gordy challenge him.

*Amusingly Watts had tried the same thing earlier in Mid-South with Ron's future tag partner Butch Reed (RIP) but it also didn't work because the Dog was easy to love and had some great angles.
And it should be noted, too, that Reed was arguably the best all-around performer in the business at the time. He was a VERY worthy top guy who likely would have been on the NWA Champion track if he was white. But Watts seemingly didn't get that being black was not really JYD's defining characteristic as a draw. It was being a tremendous promo with incredible charisma who was innately likable in a Daniel Bryan, Hillbilly Jim, etc. kind of way. (He was also a MUCH better in-ring worker than he usually gets credit for, at least before his drug addiction got out of control.)

With Simmons, they did get an all-time great moment with the title win. (Doing it in Baltimore—their best drawing city and one with a large black population—with the storyline in place was brilliant.) It works. It felt like a huge deal even though Simmons had not been built back up since the Luger feud. But after a week or two, the follow-up sucked. Even the Barbarian title defense would have worked a lot better if he had been built up more, much less packaged better. Why was he turned back into Powers of Pain Barbarian, which made him come off like a midcard tag team wrestler?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Deathmatch wrestling question the explosives in an exploding death match. What generally are they and is it more a spectacle thing or do they really hurt?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

LionYeti posted:

Deathmatch wrestling question the explosives in an exploding death match. What generally are they and is it more a spectacle thing or do they really hurt?

Pain is in the mind, only wrestling is real

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Royal Updog posted:

Pain is in the mind, only wrestling is real

I mean In the sense of really going into the barbed wire net hurts.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
tonight's stupid loving KOR angle and a subsequent argument I had about it leads me to a two part question:

a) Is there ever a place for a "worked shoot" injury angle in wrestling in 2021, particularly ones focused on head or neck trauma?

Does anyone actually enjoy being worked by this? Like, in the best case, this was supposed to just be any other stretcher job, not a "let's make it look real!" spot, but just phenomenally hosed up: having it be post-show to a crowd of like 20 people, KOR's history of diabetes & weird seizure sell, and the sells he did on Sunday took it over the top. They at least (via Satin) corrected this rather than running with it, so I do think it was mostly a misjudged stretcher job, but it made me think about the Tenzan angle in NJPW a month ago. In that one, there were similar oddities that made it seem far more realistic: it was a lengthy stretcher spot that went into intermission, which seemed wildly deflating for the live crowd in a way no one would purposefully book; the production and commentary both more or less missed the spot on which the "injury" was supposed to happen because of the interference chaos of the finish, and NJPW doesn't have an "obvious fake doctor" like a lot of other promotions use.

b) All of that said, what are the "best" (if there is such a thing) and worst instances of uncomfortably-realistic worked injuries y'all have seen?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 18, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
My rule of thumb is that if it looks insanely painful and crazy it was probably only moderately so, but if it looks fine then it probably could kill you.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

abraham linksys posted:

b) All of that said, what are the "best" (if there is such a thing) and worst instances of uncomfortably-realistic injuries y'all have seen?

Probably not what your're going for, but my mind always goes to Shibata at the end of Sakura Genesis 2017. At the time I was thinking he was selling being exhausted from being in a near 40 minute war and thought it was really good acting, we only found out later his brain had broken and had paralysis on his right side. Which of course made it so much more emotional when he walked out 4 months later to let us know he was still alive

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

SG Bamboo posted:

Probably not what your're going for, but my mind always goes to Shibata at the end of Sakura Genesis 2017. At the time I was thinking he was selling being exhausted from being in a near 40 minute war and thought it was really good acting, we only found out later his brain had broken and had paralysis on his right side. Which of course made it so much more emotional when he walked out 4 months later to let us know he was still alive

yeah, not quite what I meant but I'd definitely point to that as the exact moment I no longer wanted to see worked head injuries that weren't incredibly obviously fake, because I don't even want to think about a wrestler going through what he went through again

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Usually the explosives are designed to go off in the opposite direction from the person getting hit by them (so for example in the exploding bat gimmick, the fireworks will shoot out of the side of the bat that you're not hitting them with).

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

So on that note: Can someone who knows FMW history better than me explain how exactly Mr. Pogo got so hosed up in that explosion match with Terry Funk? Was it something to do with with the explosions or did he just happen to hurt his neck taking a bump into the double hell pit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Red posted:

Nation vs. LOD/Ahmed at Mania 13 was pretty great, but that was just a bunch of enormous dudes whaling on each other so it's not true match per se