Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean literally every Jets fan knows who they picked here.

Was it a fullback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn’t Ryan Leaf have the theoretical higher ceiling?

ryan leaf mostly busted because he didn't have the greatest work ethic and struggled with substance abuse issues

trevor lawrence is squeaky clean

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

ryan leaf mostly busted because he didn't have the greatest work ethic and struggled with substance abuse issues

trevor lawrence is squeaky clean

Yeah I’m saying sometimes you should just go with the sure thing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i mean i'm pretty sure lawrence is just as fast and has as strong of an arm as zach wilson but is also 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier which is why i assumed you were talking about him

it just doesn't make sense to me in any world to take a qb over trevor lawrence since he not only has the highest floor but also the highest ceiling, the longest resume, the best intangibles, etc.

i get people have to make content but c'mon

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean i'm pretty sure lawrence is just as fast and has as strong of an arm as zach wilson but is also 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier which is why i assumed you were talking about him

it just doesn't make sense to me in any world to take a qb over trevor lawrence since he not only has the highest floor but also the highest ceiling, the longest resume, the best intangibles, etc.

i get people have to make content but c'mon

Its probably the Texans.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity I tried the PFF mock draft and they had Justin Fields getting selected number one. LoL ok.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has Ohio State ever had a superstar QB ever work out in the NFL?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has Ohio State ever had a superstar QB ever work out in the NFL?

Didn't Shane Falco go to Ohio State?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Its probably the Texans.

Pretty sure mormons are considered infidels in evangelical america, texans can't be behind any Zach Wilson rumors

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

Pretty sure mormons are considered infidels in evangelical america, texans can't be behind any Zach Wilson rumors

How come the dude is coming into the NFL at 21? Doesn’t he need to go on a mission?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

Didn't Shane Falco go to Ohio State?

Superstar, not gutless scab.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Real talk the concept that no Ohio State quarterback has ever panned out in the NFL seems like simultaneously an incredibly compelling point and also a really dumb take.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s just amazing to me that some players can throw for 50TDs in an elite conference and just completely fail in the NFL. Yeah I know logically it’s because at their amazing school they have amazing players around them and then suddenly they’re on a bottom 5 nfl roster but drat.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Eifert Posting posted:

Out of curiosity I tried the PFF mock draft and they had Justin Fields getting selected number one. LoL ok.

All mock draft simulators have a habit of doing weird poo poo especially at the top.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mock drafts are literally worthless talk fodder that we fall into.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mock drafts. this is a command

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
They're called mock drafts because they're laughable

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phobeste posted:

They're called mock drafts because they're laughable

They're fun.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
you only like them because the most exciting part of the bengals season is the draft

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Lies, drat lies, and mock drafts.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a patagonian cavy posted:

you only like them because the most exciting part of the bengals season is the draft

Yes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cavauro posted:

Mock drafts. this is a command

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - You, the Poster, because you're special
2. New York Jets - The poster you don't like

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Real talk the concept that no Ohio State quarterback has ever panned out in the NFL seems like simultaneously an incredibly compelling point and also a really dumb take.

historically, most ohio state quarterbacks have been bad, or they've been ill-suited to the pros

it's only recently that they've actually managed to churn out anything approximating a decent prospect

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Eifert Posting posted:

Insert University/College just doesn't produce QBs is a dumb take because there's so drat few QBs that are even competent at the position.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

only the most masochistic Jets fan knows who they actually took.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean literally every Jets fan knows who they picked here.

What if I told you you're both right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has any mock draft by anyone ever correctly predicted a Patriots pick?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pretty much no, but if mock drafts are bad at top of the draft , it's complete and utter darts by the end of round 1.

Pats traded down from 1-23 last year, but the consensus picks were:

ESPN / SI / PFF / Daniel Jeremiah / Pete Prisco / WEEI: LB AJ Epenesa - went 2-54 to Bills
Mel Kiper: LB Zach Baun - 3-74 to the Saints
Patriots.com - S Xavier Mckinney - 2-36 Giants
Charles Davis - Jordan Love - 1-26 Packers
Lance Zierlein - LB Patrick Queen 1-28 Ravens

Kalli fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 18, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Did anyone in 2013 predict that like 9 of the first 10 picks were gonna be offensive linemen? I bet not

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Schools don't dictate how a player plays. The coaching staff does. When coaching staffs change completely you can't keep saying all players from x schools are busts at y position.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I forgot June Jones existed. Not sure why we’re writing pieces on who his QB1 is in TYOOL21.

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1362215119267246084

OneTruePecos posted:

What if I told you you're both right?
That’s fair.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone trying to argue that Trevor isn’t the obvious number 1 pick is trying too hard to be the smartest guy in the room. This isn’t projecting the future, who could have known that Russel Wilson and Kirk Cousins would be the best QBs out of the 2012 draft. But taking Luck and RG3 1 and 2 were the right choices.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 18, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for them because you gotta write your articles and get eyeballs, and.... there's just nothing to say about that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for them because you gotta write your articles and get eyeballs, and.... there's just nothing to say about that.

I know in my heart of hearts that if Belichick had the first pick he’d trade down and not take Trevor. Not as like a “haha bill always trades down am I right” but as a serious thing. It’s clear that he truly believes he can plug in any decent QB into his system as long as the rest of the roster is good. Which doesn’t work in today’s NFL which is why he’s gonna fail.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Why are you concocting elaborate what if situations to preemptively get upset about when you can just say “gee bills drafts have been pretty bad for the last couple years, hope he pulls his head out”

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn’t Ryan Leaf have the theoretical higher ceiling?
That's the line people were saying but kind of shows how dumb that kind of thinking is. Like was he going to win 10 MVPs if he panned out

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

I forgot June Jones existed. Not sure why we’re writing pieces on who his QB1 is in TYOOL21.

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1362215119267246084

That’s fair.

June Jones produced record breaking QBs Timmy Chang AND Colt Brennan, I'm all in

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If you plopped Ryan Leaf the prospect (not the fuckup we all know he was now) in a modern draft I wonder what the buzz would be about him.

Giant big armed gun slinging statue doesn't seem to be what teams are looking for as much these days, seems like mobility is a necessary thing for top picks now. Not necessarily a guy who's going to run a bunch or anything, but the ability to move and throw off platform. I guess you could say the same for Peyton, but even at the time he was the guy who knew what the defense was going to do before they did, which was obviously never an argument for Leaf.

Reading an old Peter King thing from the time this is pretty funny:

quote:

Ending up in San Diego could give Leaf one distinct advantage over Manning: He figures to get better coaching, at least in 1998. As an offensive coordinator for the Houston Oilers and Jacksonville Jaguars, Chargers coach Kevin Gilbride worked with Warren Moon for five productive seasons and then with Mark Brunell for two. San Diego's first-year quarterbacks coach, June Jones, is a trusted student of the game. In Indianapolis, coach Jim Mora is defense-minded and quarterbacks coach Bruce Arians, who has been in coaching since 1975, has bounced between the college game and the NFL for the past decade.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 18, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Phobeste posted:

Why are you concocting elaborate what if situations to preemptively get upset about when you can just say “gee bills drafts have been pretty bad for the last couple years, hope he pulls his head out”

I don’t like how the coach spent 3 years alienating and driving out the best player to ever suit up because of some combination of ego and incorrectly thinking that Brady was done.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

If you plopped Ryan Leaf the prospect (not the fuckup we all know he was now) in a modern draft I wonder what the buzz would be about him.

Giant big armed gun slinging statue doesn't seem to be what teams are looking for as much these days, seems like mobility is a necessary thing for top picks now. Not necessarily a guy who's going to run a bunch or anything, but the ability to move and throw off platform. I guess you could say the same for Peyton, but it seems like even at the time he was the guy who knew what the defense was going to do before they did, which was obviously never an argument for Leaf.

Reading an old Peter King thing from the time this is pretty funny:

I'm shaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

With the gift of hindsight did Jarmacus end up the bigger bust than Leaf?