Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve held off but have been sorely tempted to get it. I think I’ll wait for expansion pack news or a 50% off sale or more. A good expansion pack can fix those issues and provide a satisfactory conclusion and CDPR is desperate to fix all the bad publicity of this game. We’ll see.

i think that's a good approach, there's no downside to waiting and CDPR have always had very strong post launch support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Nice, good to know the series evolves for the better. I was constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop in Y0, but it never got worse than some mockery of accents and what the other poster mentioned. Frankly I don't have high expectations of depictions of other Asian cultures in a game from the region. Folks really nurse their grudges for centuries there.

Korea spent decades under Japanese military occupation less than 80 years ago, it's definitely not ancient history

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Rape of Nanking is also still something that happened within living memory, although not for much longer I suppose.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is coming out in May.

i.e Bioware's massive distraction from the flaming pile of poo poo that is DA4 and their trying to reboot their ME franchise with a ME5 that is a direct sequel to ME3.

Isn't the new Vampire The Masquerade coming out this year? Maybe it'll blow all our minds!!!!!!

E: people were pretty positive on Baldur's Gate 3. I guess neither of them are quite AAA though.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 17, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
quote not edit

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rebel Blob posted:

You are in for a journey, my friend.

Early on, I'd say Yakuza has some issues with it's portrayals of foreigners. You get both Chinese and Korean criminal organizations being depicted as complete psychopaths with no redeeming qualities. Quite unlike the Yakuza, where even the nastiest characters often earn redemption through Kiryu's fists.

But the series gets more nuanced over time, with 7 sympathetically integrating the subject of criminal foreigners. The game directly addresses the precarious situation of illegal aliens in Japan. Even Japan-born Korean or Chinese children of illegal aliens are still illegals and forced into the criminal underground of Japanese society.

That's actually pretty awesome! I burned myself out on 0 but I'm looking forward to playing more of the series in the future.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Palpek posted:

IMO People are not only reacting like this because Cyberpunk was supposed to be the best game ever. There are a few other factors at play here.

One is that CDPR built their brand on being the 'good guy' AAA+ dev. Yeah, it's silly to believe that BUT it's not just people's iamgination - CDPR's official company mission statement is 'releasing games when they're done and not under pressure and holding the customer's good as the highest value'. The company also built an illusion that they actually follow through with those promises - free TW3 DLCs, support for the game years after release, developing GoG, people who are active in the CDPR's game development owning the majority of shares in the company so no shareholder pressure etc. This is all not just a coincidence, it's a specific company brand which was very carefully planned and executed over many years. It's a business strategy. It built a lot of trust in the company and its promises. Sure that in the end it's not that surprising that it turns out they're no better than Ubi and EA but it is a huge departure from their decade-long branding efforts and a lot of people got hit with the sad realization especially hard because of those efforts.

The second factor is that Cyberpunk is another game on the long list of disappointing or dead big western RPGs. Fallout "hate newspapers" 4, Fallout "who even needs singleplayer" 76, The Outer "it's totally gonna be the new New Vegas" Worlds, Deus Ex "RIP" Mankind Divided, Mass Effect "my face is tired" Andromeda. Cyberpunk was kind of the final stand for a particular genre, CDPR was supposed to show all those devs how it's done and turn the industry around just like they did with TW3. If this game was as good as it was advertized then surely a new Deus Ex would materialize sooner rather than later etc. So a lot of people had not only hype but also hope attached to the release. With this game failing a lot of other potential titles fail as well.

The third and final thing is that imo Cyberpunk not only disappointed people when it comes to delivering things that were promised by its exaggerated marketing but the game specifically sucks in crucial areas of the genre it tries to fit into. Player choice, character development, itemization and character customization are just not there or fumbled in some big way. I think that people would forgive or just laugh at all the bugs, t-pose glitches, lack of AI and a lot of other stuff (ok, the last-gen release is something else) if the game did justice to at least some of those cornerstone features. When these things are absent then it opens the door to insane nitpicking which is the symptom and not the cause of the frustration. TW3 did justice to most of those aspects (OR fixed them in expansions) and despite its many flaws it's considered one of the best games of all time.

Overall what I'm trying to say is that it's a perfect storm of particular failures and not just another run-off-the-mill victim of crazy hype (although it is that as well).

I wonder whether Larian studios will run in the same issue. First factor: yes, Larian certainly has a "good guy" reputation. Second factor: yes, the genre they're working in had plenty of bad/unsuccesfull games (although less big ones I guess). Third factor: the expectations for baldur's gate III are simply ridiculous, both because it's supposed to be the sequel of a beloved game which everybody remembers with rose tinted glasses but also because of the success of Divinity OS 2.

Not saying BG 3 will be a bad game, just that it might have a similar risk of "perfect storm of hype -> crash".

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm pretty sorry I spent $60 on BG3.
It may be good later, but I have had nothing but troubles with it.
The time I spent in multi was just a lag fest where everybody was wondering whose turn it was.
The janky rear end camera that couldnt figure out which floor it wanted to center on made me queasy.

Also there was always someone who couldnt play because it doesnt tell you out front that macs and pc cant play together,

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

Not saying BG 3 will be a bad game, just that it might have a similar risk of "perfect storm of hype -> crash".

Baldur's Gate 3 is a game you can play right now and was at its jankiest when EA started last year. It is currently at 88% positive reviews despite being a paid beta.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blattdorf posted:

Demoncrawl is going to have Online Multiplayer.

Oh great like I need to sink another hundred hours into a minesweeper RPG.

seriously why do I play this game why is it good

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

hurray

https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/1362174992767545350

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sigma boooo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Opportunity to make which version of the games you wanted to play selectable missed, boo.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Idk about Yakuza 2 but 0 and Kiwami are both pretty terrible about foreigners, and have quite transphobic side stories. Xenophobia is not as big of the plot in Kiwami as it was in 0, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Idk about Yakuza 2 but 0 and Kiwami are both pretty terrible about foreigners, and have quite transphobic side stories. Xenophobia is not as big of the plot in Kiwami as it was in 0, though.

Transphobic sidestories? What? I did every sidequest in 1 and didn't see anything that was transphobic. Yes, trans people came up, but they were treated as regular people.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There was a substory in the original 1 that was pretty notoriously bad about that, I heard Kiwami 1 changed it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xarbala posted:

There was a substory in the original 1 that was pretty notoriously bad about that, I heard Kiwami 1 changed it.

After googling it was apparently "the Truth About Beauty" aka the one where a prostitute throws herself at Kiryu pretty aggressively and he's all "I do not want one thank you" and then it's revealed they're trans, and their sibling is a FTM gangster and they both fight Kiryu because they're angry at him because he won't buy what she's selling.

I personally didn't find it offensive as they were treated like every other punk in the game - and Kiryu isn't shown to have any problems with trans people and/or okama at all, especially in the hostess substories.

e: Like to be clear, a) I'm cis, b) I found it pretty neat that transgender folk were in the game at all, and weren't shown to be jokes or offensive any more than anyone else in Kamurocho are, and c) it went hard for "being gay is OK"

I cannot speak to any transphobia in 0 as I haven't played more than 20~ hours of it and don't recall any of its substories, and I'm not far in 2.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 18, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Xarbala posted:

If it's the one about the fast running trans woman, it's still pretty bad. Then there's also the fact that Kiryu doesn't beat up women-but beating up trans women is OK, because in the world of yakuza they're really men. Same thing in 0 with the trans real estate baron. Every time a trans woman or person in drag appears, it's always iterated that they're 'really a man' and people show disgust. It's hella transphobic.

Edit: I'm not cis, fwiw. I personally rolled my eyes and moved on, but that's b/c I have low standards for Japanese entertainment of that era. I expect xenophobia/racism/transphobia and prepare myself for it.

Edit 2: I also really enjoyed both games in spite of it, and am excited to get Kiwami 2 next time it's on sale. But they do not handle trans people well at all. One thing that was cool, however, was the lesbian hostess girl, I really enjoyed that plotline, and how you could have Kiryu himself say he could be open to dating men. It was a nice touch.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 18, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I completely forgot about the fast running woman one. Welp.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Hoping I can get some help.

I have an Amazon Luna Controller, basic same button layout as an Xbox One Controller, Steam is recognizing two wireless controllers, one is the Luna Controller, and the second is an Xbox One Controller. Steam is treating it like I'm hitting two buttons at the same time, so for Blasphemous for example, it is acting like I'm hitting X+A at the same time, making it unplayable. I can't find where Steam would let me just turn off the second controller, other than hiding it, and this does the same thing in MK11. Any help on getting it to stop this would be appreciated.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Diabetic posted:

I have an Amazon Luna Controller, basic same button layout as an Xbox One Controller, Steam is recognizing two wireless controllers, one is the Luna Controller, and the second is an Xbox One Controller. Steam is treating it like I'm hitting two buttons at the same time, so for Blasphemous for example, it is acting like I'm hitting X+A at the same time, making it unplayable. I can't find where Steam would let me just turn off the second controller, other than hiding it, and this does the same thing in MK11. Any help on getting it to stop this would be appreciated.

Try big picture mode, Steam still stupidly has a bunch of controller stuff buried in that dead feature no one uses.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Pleasure King is an odd one because it's very hard to distinguish between whether the game is being bad at presenting a transwoman by consistently misgendering them at every level and the localisation team tried to tone it done by having the character reference Ru-Paul's Drag Race rather than fix the pronouns, or whether the Pleasure King is just a gay male-identifying crossdresser in a series that's bad at presenting gender identities.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 18, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Given how the level of nuance in which other minorities (sexual and otherwise) are depicted in the series, the latter reading is 100% galaxy brain bullshit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Speaking of Baldur’s Gate 3, they announced a new update today, scheduled for hopefully next week, that’ll bring Druids to EA along with new spells and stuff. And they look really fun to play.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Try big picture mode, Steam still stupidly has a bunch of controller stuff buried in that dead feature no one uses.

Thank you, but I go into Big Picture Mode and it does the same thing. It literally just started this, and I haven't changed anything to make it do this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Diabetic posted:

Thank you, but I go into Big Picture Mode and it does the same thing. It literally just started this, and I haven't changed anything to make it do this.

Not playing it in big picture mode, looking through the controller options in big picture mode. The options buried in there effect the game outside of it and are often only accessible via BPM.

E:have you set Steam Controller Support to forced off?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Diabetic posted:

Try disabling the phantom controller in window's gamepad settings?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I figured out at least a bypass, for each game that is acting up. I right click on the game, go to properties, controller, then enable Steam input, and that fixes the double input.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Just had my second WD Black drive fail on me in the span of 3 months.

So that's cool.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

exquisite tea posted:

There are a lot of technical things wrong with CP2077 that are extremely obvious and memeworthy, but then once you peel those away there are a lot of much more frustrating and difficult to fix issues in the roleplaying and depth of the gameplay systems that will probably never truly be addressed. A lot of people seem to think that anyone being critical of CP2077 is just referring to the superficial problems and not the much more immensely disappointing lack of player choice and reactivity.

Yeah. People only seem to pick the part where I talked about the game's expectations and ignored my gripes with the title.

Orv posted:

To be fair I think gaming has been kind of on a reckoning course with this for a while. You simply can't make a game the size of the modern or even recently old open world RPG and have reactivity and choice that matter on a level that studios have been preaching about for years now. You can have some and it can definitely matter to stories or worlds or environments but nobody is ever going to put out a Witcher 3 length Alpha Protocol and after so many high profile "choices matter" failures in recent years I have to wonder when it stops being a selling point. Or at least sees some kind of admission or refinement to the pitch that doesn't make it inherently disappointing.

The Witcher 3 did it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

goferchan posted:

Korea spent decades under Japanese military occupation less than 80 years ago, it's definitely not ancient history

I don't care if it's a :can: issue to bring up, Yakuza 0's whole "But us Japanese who were stuck in China were the REAL victims! Why do they hate us!?"part of the story is such horseshit and by far the worst part of the game. At least 7 made some relative strides.

sad question
May 30, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-anime-bundle

A surprising amount of actually good games in this one. 2 for 10$, 3 for 14$, 5 for 20$

Here are imho the good ones:

- Tokyo Xanadu eX+
- Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
- The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
- Alternate Jake Hunter: DAEDALUS The Awakening of Golden Jazz
- Synergia
- The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters
- possibly White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
I recently played The Letter, which also is in this bundle, and it's a solid horror visual novel. It's a bit of a slow burn but has an impressive amount of branching and voice acting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't care if it's a :can: issue to bring up, Yakuza 0's whole "But us Japanese who were stuck in China were the REAL victims! Why do they hate us!?"part of the story is such horseshit and by far the worst part of the game. At least 7 made some relative strides.

Oh yeah I'm not defending it, just saying that culturally and politically it's waaayyyy beyond my point of reference as an american. Even "racism" doesn't seem like the right word to describe it because that's something so tied to whiteness here in the west

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Orv posted:

I just want to nitpick (sorry) this line and point out that this kind of thinking is part of why Cyberpunk has been getting the reactions it has. And why NMS and other things have gotten their reactions.

Gamers do this poo poo to themselves, even when a game is Perfectly Good if it's been hyped as the messiah it's gonna be regarded as poo poo. It's extremely annoying to watch it happen over and over again and I wish I had managed to break myself of it sooner.

While I agree with everything else, NMS 10000000000000% did it to themselves. It's one thing to promise the moon and deliver something not as well executed as promised.

It's another thing to promise the moon and have absolutely none of it actually exist. That's what NMS did and why I don't trust them as a developer and never will. They lost my money forever. Sucks to be them, but I'm not going to forgive them just because they're a small indie studio. I wouldn't forgive a big studio for it either. If you want my patronage then don't blatantly lie about stuff just because you think no one will ever try to actually see if you were lying or not. I don't care how much they added to the game. A lot of it was straight up stuff they promised at release and then quietly didn't ever say that it was cut. "Oh they lied big deal", it is a big deal because the only metric you have to use that a game might be good or not before release is what a developer puts out, so making it okay to lie about it as long as you eventually, someday, put in the features you had lied about existing is basically just a scummier version of Early Access.

That's what it comes down to, to me. Be honest. If it turns out to not be the best, then that's forgivable because trying doesn't mean succeeding. If you bullshit lie about stuff, and especially keep lying about it until release date, then get lost forever. And I do mean forever.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah the stuff about China in 0 was really weird. Especially with the Chinese assassin looking like a loving ghoul.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Funny thing is they actually replaced the assassin character in the Chinese release of the game with a normal creepy looking guy instead of a goblin from lord of the rings.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The sheer uncertainty as to whether or not NMS had multiplayer on launch was bizarre and unprecedented. They really got off easy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If anyone was holding off on Hitman 3 on Epic because of the location import situation, you can now unlock the Hitman 1 & 2 locations if you own them on Steam for Epic on the IOI webiste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shoutout to Gem Wizards Tactics dev for fixing a bug the very evening I reported it. Also shoutout to the dev for making a cool game, I'm enjoying pushing around armies.

e: screenshot because I like it that much: