Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
so... we're not getting the free broadband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CoolCab posted:

whoa now whoa pal, hold up - as i politely asked, please cite the extremely existent source for

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49789938

If you don’t trust the BBC, I think some people I posting here were in the room at the time, so you can ask them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/LordIanAustin/status/1362183267663896576

Austin's on the mead.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Mate. We live under FPTP. You are transparently talking poo poo here. Full Remain loses us those Midlands seats even more. Which seats do you think we gain over 2017 to compensate? It'll need to be quite a lot, mind.

Once going above one or two percentage points, more votes is more seats, less votes is fewer seats. The only part of that sentence I am unsure of is which way round the words ‘less’ and ‘fewer’ go.

If you genuinely think there is some math magic where 20% of the vote, artfully arranged, gets you a win, then you are beyond reach.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362169661140402176?s=19

I can hear the disillusioned voters stampeding back to Labour...

Oh, no, wait. It's a massive fart.

Sign me up for the Starm-troopers. I've got the fire of revolution in my heart for extended business rate holidays.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

radmonger posted:

If you don’t trust the BBC, I think some people I posting here were in the room at the time, so you can ask them.

oh, when you said "narrowly voted down in conference by Corbyn loyalists" you actually meant was it lost by a large majority of the members entirely unrelated to jeremy corbyn, or, as put it from your article, quote

quote:

The vote was decisive - the Labour leadership position on Brexit triumphed.

which is to say, not that at all? oh also, who was it who ran that motion to commit labour to remain in a second referendum specifically

lmao who do you think posted:

Shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer said he was disappointed by the result of the vote, and that he would campaign for Remain.

"Would I have liked us to have gone a bit further and won that vote? Of course I would - but I don't want to take away from the fact that is quite considerable movement," he said.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

Once going above one or two percentage points, more votes is more seats, less votes is fewer seats. The only part of that sentence I am unsure of is which way round the words ‘less’ and ‘fewer’ go.

If you genuinely think there is some math magic where 20% of the vote, artfully arranged, gets you a win, then you are beyond reach.

Where are you getting 20% from? What percentage of voters do we lose on top of the ones we actually did in 2019 cos its not 0%.

Again. Which seats do you think full Remain could have won? Let's see a list. A long list. And let's not assume even full Remain would have won over all the Lib Dems to Jeremy 'Hitler 2.0' Corbyn, yeah?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 18, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CoolCab posted:

oh, when you said "narrowly voted down in conference by Corbyn loyalists" you actually meant was it lost by a large majority of the members entirely unrelated to jeremy corbyn, or, as put it from your article, quote

The bit of analysis you quoted then went on to directly tie the decisiveness of the vote to being a show of support for Corbyn. But whatever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rumda posted:

I mean the correct analogy to Jewish people thinking Corbyn was going to put them in camps is to TERF bs, if they are spouting it they are either spreading lies and hatred maliciously or are so catastrophically ill-informed that they may as well be doing it maliciously

Trash Future's latest episode with Abby Thorne actually has both Thorne and Bethea talking about the disgusting similarities between the actions of TERFs now and the anti-Semites throughout Europe including under the tenure of a certain Austrian fellow with, let's say 'bold,' policies.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The bit of analysis you quoted then went on to directly tie the decisiveness of the vote to being a show of support for Corbyn. But whatever.

and i can say kier starmer only did it because the only way he can cum is by losing an election, it's my opinion and a poorly supported one but i can make that observation. it is about equal, in terms of understanding than the op ed in question - i would argue more revealing really.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the left have a cult of personality about their eternal leader, jormary cobblestone, unlike those of us with sensible heads on our shoulds who know that all britain needs is to make tony blair king

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CoolCab posted:

and i can say kier starmer only did it because the only way he can cum is by losing an election, it's my opinion and a poorly supported one but i can make that observation. it is about equal, in terms of understanding than the op ed in question - i would argue more revealing really.

good choice of quote then I guess.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CoolCab posted:

which is to say, not that at all? oh also, who was it who ran that motion to commit labour to remain in a second referendum specifically

I’ll quote the link again, so anyone who cares can click on it and see, in seconds, how easy it is to tell you are either lying, or at best so lost in motivated reasoning you have lost the ability to read text and add numbers.

Have you considered that, no matter which political position you care about, there has to be some way to advocate it that doesn’t run so early and hard into checkable facts contrary to the way you are presenting it?

I could post a spreadsheet showing how, if Labour had 40% of the vote, it would either win, or at least lose less badly. No doubt if I did, you would pick one and say ‘Labour had no chance of winning there’.

No poo poo; Labour was 10% short of the Tories in overall vote share. That would need to change in order to win. The thing is, if it did change, that change would have had consequences.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

good choice of quote then I guess.

the vote was decisive is an observation while "because kier starmer needed to lose another vote if he ever hoped to feel the hot humiliation of his own incompetence driving him to the sweet kiss of la petite mort on the conference floor" is an opinion, much like "they voted this way to support the leadership" is opinion contextually - and also, if I was being critical kind of a leap? the membership understood what a toxic idea it was - alas if only they'd thought a little harder.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

radmonger posted:

I’ll quote the link again, so anyone who cares can click on it and see, in seconds, how easy it is to tell you are either lying, or at best so lost in motivated reasoning you have lost the ability to read text and add numbers.

Have you considered that, no matter which political position you care about, there has to be some way to advocate it that doesn’t run so early and hard into checkable facts contrary to the way you are presenting it?

there are literally no numbers in the entire article you posted relating to the vote lmao what on earth are you on about

quote:

I could post a spreadsheet showing how, if Labour had 40% of the vote, it would either win, or at least lose less badly. No doubt if I did, you would pick one and say ‘Labour had no chance of winning there’.

No poo poo; Labour was 10% short of the Tories in overall vote share. That would need to change in order to win. The thing is, if it did change, that change would have had consequences.

lmao i could post a spreadsheet that says all sorts of nonsensical crap if you want? am i being pranked here? "oh you can prove anything with facts and figures" for people who think excel is magic i guess?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a shame warren ellis is also a massive sex pest because transmetropolitan is great and blair is absolutely the smiler

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

its a shame warren ellis is also a massive sex pest because transmetropolitan is great and blair is absolutely the smiler

wait gently caress you're kidding? god loving drat it really?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

yeah

edit: the yeah is to the god loving drat it really?

Jose fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 18, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The possible electoral success of a full remain party in the 2019 election was demonstrated perfectly by the Lib Dems.

How did they do again?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

oh i was thinking of grant morrison not warren ellis, i did know that about warren ellis now thinking about it. and apparently had the wrong person as the transmetropolitian guy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

oh i was thinking of grant morrison not warren ellis, i did know that about warren ellis now thinking about it. and apparently had the wrong person as the transmetropolitian guy.

i think grant morrison inflicts all his sexual fantasies on his fans who read his stuff

edit: was thinking of garth ennis

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CoolCab posted:

there are literally no numbers in the entire article you posted relating to the vote lmao what on earth are you on about

lmao i could post a spreadsheet that says all sorts of nonsensical crap if you want? am i being pranked here? "oh you can prove anything with facts and figures" for people who think excel is magic i guess?

The article was the text comprehension part, the numbers can be found on the wiki page for the UK 2019 election.

You can prove anything with numbers; it’s just _true_ things are easier to prove with _correct_ numbers.

Maybe it would actually help if you did do that spreadsheet so you could properly internalize what to me is obvious? There really is no plausible way of distributing 20% of the vote between more-or-less equally-sized constituencies such that you beat a party with 40%.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

i think grant morrison inflicts all his sexual fantasies on his fans who read his stuff

edit: was thinking of garth ennis

lol yeah that's definitely garth ennis, grant morrison is the silver age worshipping non binary writer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can british comic writers stop having such similar names

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

radmonger posted:

The article was the text comprehension part, the numbers can be found on the wiki page for the UK 2019 election.

You can prove anything with numbers; it’s just _true_ things are easier to prove with _correct_ numbers.

Maybe it would actually help if you did do that spreadsheet so you could properly internalize what to me is obvious? There really is no plausible way of distributing 20% of the vote between more-or-less equally-sized constituencies such that you beat a party with 40%.

why are we talking about hypothetical 20 and 40% spreadsheets instead of the actual figures of the actual, factual, 2017 and 2019 elections lmao

e like it sort of feels like you're mystifying because you don't want to talk about what actually happened and instead want to believe that remain is popular, somehow? it's still not, even starmer has picked that poo poo up.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 18, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

sebzilla posted:

I wonder what it's like to be the person who has to decide which foundational social text to quote for the latest round of tax cuts.

Much like Engels "Condition of the working class in England", this will be a rallying cry for change. We're increasing the christmas benefit bonus by 20p.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean it's better than nothing.

If he'd actually deliver, which is a big if; see: Biden, Joe.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

Relying on uniform swing would be (charitably) naive in most elections under FPTP, in 2017 and 2019 it's straight up disingenuous.

And as you've thrown down the gauntlet - 20% of the vote, in a 3-party FPTP system, is actually more than enough to get a majority. If Party A runs in only 51% of the constituencies, but Parties B & C run in all of them, and A gets 34% of the vote in the constituencies it runs in, with B&C getting 33% each, with B&C splitting winning half of the others each, each time by 51/49, Party A has a majority despite only getting 18.7% of the votes. Now obviously this is an absurd situation but not mathematically impossible. As it is, the Tories have 56% of the seats despite only getting 43.6% of the votes, and the Lib Dems (aww) have 1.6% of the seats despite getting 11.6% of the vote.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
At least the tories aren't QUITE this bad yet:

Mayor (now former!) of Colorado City, Texas where there are 21 million people without power, freezing temperatures (friend of mine in Dallas is experiencing temps of -17C to -20C at the moment), no water and so on posted this:

It's now been deleted and he has resigned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CoolCab posted:

Warren Ellis was a massive piece of poo poo long before the sex pest stuff came out.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Private Speech posted:

it's a tax cut, claiming credit for a benefit cut which has not actually happened yet (but not a reversal to the last 8 years of cuts), and "Increases in local funding" which can accurately describe anything from good policy to the health and social care act of 2012 without ever being technically untrue

it's shite, I'm not campaigning for it, and I'm not voting for the lazy terf shithead running my constituency either. Starmer's a fish flopping around in the boat with no understanding of why he's dying or what to do about it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Spangly A posted:

Starmer's a fish flopping around in the boat with no understanding of why he's dying or what to do about it.

Incorrect.

Kieth is fully cogniscant of the fact that fish have a need to be in the water to live, but is firmly of the opinion that fish could - in fact - live quite well on land if they learned to accept that water is commodity that cannot be guaranteed in this era of commercial growth, and Kieth is - in fact - allied to the very reasonable chaps who run the "watch 'em drown" programme of monitoring the number of fish who aren't able to make it back into the water on their own. At the moment, it's a perfectly acceptable number, but we'll make sure to put oxygen on notice if the number gets much higher.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's now been deleted and he has resigned.
I read that earlier, it's astounding to read him say it's not the job of local government to support people.

If it's not that then what the gently caress is it? Because I can't imagine the people of Colorado City are paying him to sit around in meetings and have big dinners.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

Hey, you've found Labour's slogan for the May elections!

"Labour... we're better than nothing :effort:"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Feel like Emma Barnett is definitely going to end up working for the government soon

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ndroidApp_Other

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The replies to this from furious hacks saying they don't actually believe the poo poo they write are amazing

https://twitter.com/jennamahale/status/1361979451777552386?s=19

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

sebzilla posted:

I don't really understand how twitter works, but is what Starmer says in the second tweet supposed to have some connection with what someone said in the first tweet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is part of a sequence.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362168086003134466

But you do this by replying to all of your tweets in a row, because twitter isn't designed for conveying information like this and SA's embedding only shows you the tweet, and the tweet it is replying to, so you only get two sections.

The last bit is also very funny:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362194372645838848

"The future will look utterly unlike the past, we will seize the means of extending the business rate holiday!"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 18, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

The replies to this from furious hacks saying they don't actually believe the poo poo they write are amazing

https://twitter.com/jennamahale/status/1361979451777552386?s=19

The "journalism is a small world and we'll remember this" ones are my favourite.

The responses suggest Britain has a surfeit of journalists who worked at the Mail and have since developed into magnificent, statesmanlike writers. I wonder where they're all hiding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

peanut- posted:

The "journalism is a small world and we'll remember this" ones are my favourite.

The responses suggest Britain has a surfeit of journalists who worked at the Mail and have since developed into magnificent, statesmanlike writers. I wonder where they're all hiding?

"Sigh, look, you don't get it. I did it for money."