Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It's still Film Noir February, so this week's carefully chosen riffing-target is: 1949's Impact:

there doesn't seem to be too much historically important about it other than that it is an early adopter of product placement

aha, so this is where WrenchCo's "Lo-Impact" line of padded soft rubber wrenches got its start!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

I LIKED IT

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sometimes a Coupons & Deals movie turns out to be okay? Keeps us on our toes at least.

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

It strikes me that these screenwriters wrote the script as though all the characters were watching the movie along with us, instead of living in it.

The mechanic lady gets berated by a surly drifter splattered with blood and covered in grime, but somehow she knows he is a good guy. The police see a car crash with skidmarks on a windy mountain road, but somehow know it was a murder. The death of a random executive at a random car company is somehow something everyone in the country knows about and talks about.

It really makes you appreciate movies like The Naked City, which feel alive and real, with people in dynamic settings fighting to make sense of things and sift through red herrings.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Possible suggestion for last C&D Nor: Quicksand (1950)

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The real stars of these movies are the vehicles. They look so stylish even if they were deathtraps.

Manifisto

robbed as I feel by the absolute lack of monkey wrenches, as promised by the poster, I was nonetheless pleased by the film's "noirish allsorts" vibe.

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Prof. Crocodile

Buttchocks posted:

The real stars of these movies are the vehicles. They look so stylish even if they were deathtraps.

:haibrower:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Antique cars are neat and all but I'm way more fascinated by the telecom in these old films. People had such intimate relationships with rotary phones and scheduled radio programming and extra-edition newspapers, but when you think about the entirety of human history, those things only existed for such a tiny percentage of time, and probably won't come back except as novelties. And the perspective just keeps getting wilder with time- I remember marveling at people listening to radio shows in old movies when I was a kid, but the idea that they would tune in at a certain time or listen to a live broadcast wasn't anything odd, TV was still watched that way. A kid today though would find it doubly bizarre- your ancestors "tuned in" for JUST audio, barely 15 minutes long at a time sometimes, and they only played the shows once, at one time!? EVER!?!?!!? If you missed it you just asked somebody who caught it to describe it to you!?!?!?!!????!!!!?!?1/ Does not compute!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

robbed as I feel by the absolute lack of monkey wrenches, as promised by the poster, I was nonetheless pleased by the film's "noirish allsorts" vibe.

this is my theory: the scene was described as the two actors fighting with a lug wrench. the artist nods, thoughtfully. "i know what a lug wrench is" they think to themselves as they sit down.

Buttchocks

Antique cars are neat and all but I'm way more fascinated by the telecom in these old films. People had such intimate relationships with rotary phones and scheduled radio programming and extra-edition newspapers, but when you think about the entirety of human history, those things only existed for such a tiny percentage of time, and probably won't come back except as novelties. And the perspective just keeps getting wilder with time- I remember marveling at people listening to radio shows in old movies when I was a kid, but the idea that they would tune in at a certain time or listen to a live broadcast wasn't anything odd, TV was still watched that way. A kid today though would find it doubly bizarre- your ancestors "tuned in" for JUST audio, barely 15 minutes long at a time sometimes, and they only played the shows once, at one time!? EVER!?!?!!? If you missed it you just asked somebody who caught it to describe it to you!?!?!?!!????!!!!?!?1/ Does not compute!

Same with local access programming. I remember watching a local tv kids show that had a peanut gallery and everything. :corsair: And if you didn't live within broadcast range of a particular studio, you never got to see the shows produced there. Most of them weren't preserved except for a few tiny fragments or photos, they're just gone.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Buttchocks posted:

Same with local access programming. I remember watching a local tv kids show that had a peanut gallery and everything. :corsair: And if you didn't live within broadcast range of a particular studio, you never got to see the shows produced there. Most of them weren't preserved except for a few tiny fragments or photos, they're just gone.

Word. Nitrate film incinerates a giant chunk of early cinema never to be seen again by anybody, then the studios kept classic films off screens and ensured that film studies remain niche for decades. Then TV atomizes the AV artform but also regulates it into the 'vast cultural wasteland' that sees no reason not to degaus and reuse the pilot tapes of masterpieces. Local channels, as you say, don't even bother to record their broadcasts at all. To the general public the idea of archived feature films available for viewing at your choice doesn't come around until the 1970's, TV shows until the late 90's, home video takes some bizarre twists and turns in the new millennium before streaming demolishes it and becomes a new studio mogul system that intentionally makes certain films and TV shows unavailable... and is now itself atomizing and making things harder to see... phew. Maddening!

When, in 2021, I watch a movie-from-1934's 1976 edit (a reconstruction after the disastrous 1955 version), ripped off a 1992 VHS to Youtube in 2009, the historic perspective on just the act of watching the movie is crazy. It's like I'm watching a distant image bounced on six differently tinted mirrors to reach me- but at least it reached me! Many films didn't. AV has always run over the edges of society's containers for it and dripped all over our collective self. I think that's something I love about it, honestly. It's so drat messy.

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

This is why the Dick Tracy short seems to "wobble" sometimes, and also why it occasionally looks like people do ridiculous things like work in steel mills wearing suits.

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof
Dick Tracy and the Trap Door: The Updated Version

https://twitter.com/i/status/1362479412826963970

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! At 4pm PST 7pm EST midnight GMT, join us in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies for another BYOB movie night!

This week's selection is a personal favorite, the thrilling drama from 1950: D.O.A.!

I'm not gonna spoil one single twist of this incredible film, I'm just gonna say it has one of my favorite bookends, one of my favorite clues and one of my favorite henchmen in all of Film Noir and those are not skimpy categories. And it's in the public domain! Alright!

Plus, starting a half hour before showtime, episodes 11 & 12 of Dick Tracy vs Crime INC!

See you there! And as an aside, I'd like to wish a happy birthday to Mr. Sidney Poitier who turns 94 today! We're gonna watch a film featuring him next week to finish off Noir month and celebrate Black History Month, which I had already planned to do before finding out it was his birthday today, of course. We'll enjoy it next Saturday just as well, and I'm pretty sure he had plans anyway.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 20, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

I missed half of it, but it was still a blast! Thanks BFM and all for making this happen.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Aw boo, I missed out! I love DOA, I'm gonna go watch it by myself.

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof
That was a really good film! Thanks, BFM!

BoldFrankensteinMir

If you can come up with a more captivating and succinct introductory scene to a mystery than "I'd like to report a murder. MY OWN!" then I'd sure like to see it.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

If you can come up with a more captivating and succinct introductory scene to a mystery than "I'd like to report a murder. MY OWN!" then I'd sure like to see it.

a fresh severed head rolls onscreen and gasps, "my will is the key to my treasure and my murderer"

ty nesamdoom!

hbag

you might punch me in the jaw for this but i think the "you've never seen a miracle" thing from blade runner 2049 was pretty good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

hbag posted:

you might punch me in the jaw for this but i think the "you've never seen a miracle" thing from blade runner 2049 was pretty good

I liked that movie. If we had better access to modern films I'd be psyched for a neonoir month, maybe we can figure something out.

Manifisto

I liked that movie. If we had better access to modern films I'd be psyched for a neonoir month, maybe we can figure something out.

I'd like that, but let's not watch kiss kiss bang bang I'm sorry but I really didn't like it

ty nesamdoom!

hbag

what service does the Vineyard use for their movie nights? we could try using that

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gramps

Could theoretically do one on twitch too but that requires prime, but you can do any film in amazon prime's library I do believe. They restrict the viewers to prime members only when they do this though.

https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/wa...0desktop%20web.

Bright Bart

For a swell movie D.O.A. night had a lot of good lines from the handful of 'YOBers present.

"really horny for this murder" is stuck in my head.

Buttchocks

I had to watch it on my own, but that opening shot was great! Odd mix of serious and ridiculous tones overall.

Prof. Crocodile

I loved the warehouse scene. Our hero panic-hopping through a picturesque industrial environment, pursued by unseen assailants that might attack from any direction at any time.

Really fit with the theme of "definite but unknown danger".

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I loved the warehouse scene. Our hero panic-hopping through a picturesque industrial environment, pursued by unseen assailants that might attack from any direction at any time.

Really fit with the theme of "definite but unknown danger".

A couple users noted just how tense the scenes driving with Chester are too, it's all about the editing. It's a great movie to show students, and tell them "this is how you make a guy just looking around a warehouse or walking down a hall or sitting with another guy in a car riveting.

Compare to modern films where 10 underwear models in super suits tear up a city block to murder eachother, yet somehow it's dull as dishwater. The camera keeps spinning around the action like no actual point of perspective would do, creating no meaningful compositions whatsoever, and all the cuts are just industrial-grade, chosen by committee, to get you to the next artless, exhausting scene. Give me Frank Bigelo gaping at a matchbook any day.

Prof. Crocodile

Chester is also interesting, in that his overly violent behavior is an example of how well stylized the movie was.

Every character and element in the movie was the perfect amount of 'too much'. Frank was little bit too much of cad, Paula was a little too devoted, the jazz hipsters were just a little too hip, the crime boss wore a white-on-white suit, the poison glowed in the dark... it must have been a delicate balancing act to push everything just a little too far without breaking what was a suspenseful and engaging film.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I was thinking about it today and Chester is a really interesting exploration of the premise: if you were already doomed to die who's to threaten you meaningfully? A sadist, that's who! It takes a while for us to meet somebody Frank might still lose something to, but we do, and it ramps the stakes up even more.

Prof. Crocodile

I was thinking about it today and Chester is a really interesting exploration of the premise: if you were already doomed to die who's to threaten you meaningfully? A sadist, that's who! It takes a while for us to meet somebody Frank might still lose something to, but we do, and it ramps the stakes up even more.

Oh that is a good observation. Normal guy with a gun is not really threatening in the context of the luminous poison already killing you from within.

Heather Papps

hello friend

the only critique i have of doa is that at some point, someone suffering the effects of luminous poisoning should be shot, or stabbed, in the dark, and the blood spilling should have glowed a bit.
however i've had a multi year obsession with phosphorescent pigments so

BoldFrankensteinMir

Heather Papps posted:

the only critique i have of doa is that at some point, someone suffering the effects of luminous poisoning should be shot, or stabbed, in the dark, and the blood spilling should have glowed a bit.
however i've had a multi year obsession with phosphorescent pigments so

Chekhov's luminous poison? Yeah I see your point, but in movies where blood and wounds are strictly verboten I feel like the X-ray scene is as close as we're gonna get.

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

The human body is icky.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Chekhov's luminous poison? Yeah I see your point, but in movies where blood and wounds are strictly verboten I feel like the X-ray scene is as close as we're gonna get.

the code!!!
:argh:

BoldFrankensteinMir

There is, however, a 1988 remake starring Dennis Quaid that might have glowing blood in it. I have not seen it but still feel pretty comfortable guessing it's terrible.

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

"They plugged me, Chief, I'm done for. I'm glowin' out over here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

When I think glowing neon-colored gore I tend to think of the Reanimator series, but now that I'm imagining a really bloody 50's shootout with those effects bursting out of double-breasted suits and fedoras, that's pretty awesome. Our working title will be Glow-in-the-dark Gang-war, I wanna hear story pitches!

Sig by Heather Papps