Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Switchback posted:

S1 day 1: The guy crying because he doesn’t have his gun contrasted against the guy saying “there were wolves outside my tent, it was fine” is :chefkiss: :chefskiss: wtf is this emoji?!

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You get "1 personal photograph" for free.

I will ask them if I can have it printed on 8.5' by 11' waterproof paper, and trust they won't proofread too hard.

Then I will live in my goatse tent.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
My personal photograph is printed on 500 pounds of lard. Don't ask why.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The contestants in the first season are perhaps not quite alone as implied.

Sam is basically in someone’s backyard.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Since they moved it to Great Slave Lake for the last 2 seasons, the show has gotten so, so much better. Alone is the only reality/game show TV I watch and I'm thrilled this thread has turned into the Alone thread.

My biggest gripe is listing Canadian contestants' hometowns as City, Canada (especially as they are usually shooting IN Canada) and not City, Province like they do for the Americans with their City, State. Some of these folks are from little hamlets in the middle of nowhere and it's such a huge pet peeve of mine.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1361970752162058243?s=20

Guess where he wants to climb next....

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Maybe if he gets lost he can survive a few months on body fat alone

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hell yeah.

One of the SCP things (just google it if you don’t know it’ll take me forever to explain) is that Mount Everest is basically a sentient pile of corpses that the foundation can’t stop people from all over the world being inexplicably attracted to add their bodies to it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Man, Alone Season 6 has some really exploitive undertones. I think every single person expresses some sentiment like "I grew up poor and I'm taking myself away from the people I love and starving myself for this one chance for their lives to be better."

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

"I’ve reached Stella Point (5,685m) on the rim of Kilimanjaro"

What the gently caress. I did Kili a year and a half ago and getting to Stella Point sucked for someone used to 0 altitude meters and no hikes above 4 hours, but when you're at that point, it's basically a flat 40 minute walk to the actual peak. I cannot imagine how badly you must be doing at Stella Point to not actually summit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Man, Alone Season 6 has some really exploitive undertones. I think every single person expresses some sentiment like "I grew up poor and I'm taking myself away from the people I love and starving myself for this one chance for their lives to be better."

This was like the last 3 on Season 2 so the 3rd place and 2nd place guy going out were pretty heartbreaking.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Mash posted:

My personal photograph is printed on 500 pounds of lard. Don't ask why.

Self-portrait?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

PostNouveau posted:

This was like the last 3 on Season 2 so the 3rd place and 2nd place guy going out were pretty heartbreaking.

Six was the worst for me because at some point the runner ups had to learn that Jordan essentially broke the game weeks earlier. Imagine willing yourself to subsist on peat moss until your body gives out only to learn you were competing against a dude with "too much moose" problems.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

My ten items for Alone season 8:
Tarp
Ferrorod
Axe body spray
Pot (4oz sour diesel)
Switch lite
"10 guys hamburger" (2x five guys hamburger)
Full sheet cake (vanilla buttercream frosting)
Neck pillow
unabomber manifesto
Extra switch battery

Wish me luck!

Only one day of food? That doesn't seem safe.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Switchback posted:

S1 day 1: The guy crying because he doesn’t have his gun contrasted against the guy saying “there were wolves outside my tent, it was fine” is :chefkiss: :chefskiss: wtf is this emoji?!
A lot of gun nuts are super insecure, and they're so afraid of the world that they need a tool capable of killing another human as their security blanket to keep from melting down.

PostNouveau posted:

I had a really hard time caring about the runner-up on season 2.

Like, I get that he's a veteran and that deserves some respect, and he probably saw some absolutely awful poo poo and likely needs treatment for PTSD, but... dude has some serious insecurity, self-image, and anger issues. Some of the stuff he said, if I heard from someone around me, would make me worry he might end up on the news as as office shooter.

I was really bummed that the one who invented his own board games and other fun distractions went home because he felt like the experience was starting to turn him into a different person, and he was afraid his significant other might not like who he turned into. I totally get it, but that was my favorite participant from Season 2.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

My favorite part from season one (after Officer Farva, of course) is one of the final scenes after they've come to get the winner and the winner's spouse (no doubt at the instigation of the producer/director) pulls out the envelope with the check for $0.5M, hands it to the winner to open, and the winner is clearly disgusted at the thought that this was somehow the purpose of all that work and suffering can't get it out of sight quickly enough.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emf posted:

My favorite part from season one (after Officer Farva, of course) is one of the final scenes after they've come to get the winner and the winner's spouse (no doubt at the instigation of the producer/director) pulls out the envelope with the check for $0.5M, hands it to the winner to open, and the winner is clearly disgusted at the thought that this was somehow the purpose of all that work and suffering can't get it out of sight quickly enough.

He and his wife had a very strange reunion. He was definitely not mentally prepared for it. It must be an enormous shock to just one day have a loved one show up and tell you it's over you don't have to be there anymore.

I laughed at the Season 2 one the dude was talking so much poo poo when his daughter showed up. "Yeah I'm better at 50 than I was at 30. Why would I go home? What reason do I have to go home right now?" *daughter sneaking up behind him has to be at least somewhat hurt*

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The Mash posted:

"I’ve reached Stella Point (5,685m) on the rim of Kilimanjaro"

What the gently caress. I did Kili a year and a half ago and getting to Stella Point sucked for someone used to 0 altitude meters and no hikes above 4 hours, but when you're at that point, it's basically a flat 40 minute walk to the actual peak. I cannot imagine how badly you must be doing at Stella Point to not actually summit.

Willing to turn back just before the summit?

He might be better prepared to try Everest than most.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

A lot of gun nuts are super insecure, and they're so afraid of the world that they need a tool capable of killing another human as their security blanket to keep from melting down.

My favorite example of that was the American cop on vacation in Calgary without his gun, who drat near had a panic attack when two young men walked up and asked him if he'd been to the Stampede

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/michigan-cop-wishes-he-could-carry-gun-in-calgary-park-1.909051

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anywhere I can watch Alone as a dirty foreigner? My usual Linux ISO sites are failing me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there anywhere I can watch Alone as a dirty foreigner? My usual Linux ISO sites are failing me.

I mean, some of it's on dailymotion. It's all files though so you might wanna check through streaming services first.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

history.com has a bunch of seasons commercial free. I can't imagine they block Canadian ips but if they do, vpns are cheap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Leviathan Song posted:

history.com has a bunch of seasons commercial free. I can't imagine they block Canadian ips but if they do, vpns are cheap.
Dirtier than that. But I could just use work's US VPN, I'm sure they wouldn't mind the extra bandwidth.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Exploitation is inherent to the concept of the show. I've only watched seasons 1 and 2 so far, and they're full of people hoping for a life-changing amount of money, not just for themselves but for their family. Yeah, lots of them aren't in dire need, but it's on the same spectrum.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
At some point they're going to get some dude who really snaps and refuses to leave.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

Exploitation is inherent to the concept of the show. I've only watched seasons 1 and 2 so far, and they're full of people hoping for a life-changing amount of money, not just for themselves but for their family. Yeah, lots of them aren't in dire need, but it's on the same spectrum.

It certainly seems like desperation plays a bigger part of lasting than survivor skills. But that might be in the way they edit it. The herbalist lady in the Season 2 reunion mentions eating/using 35 different plants and they didn't show hardly any of that poo poo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Denarius posted:

That seems kind of expensive, $200 puts you in the hand made kukri world. An Angkhola Dui Chirra from Kailash blades with all the bells and whistles: performance grind, full tang, and micarta handles is only $230. I've strongly considered getting one myself, that's what I'd choose if I did.

Those look pretty nice. What do you think about their Salyani? Too slender to be really utilitarian?

Pretty sure this is one of those times I have a few whiskeys and order a knife and I don't realize I did it until it shows up 3 months later.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WhiteHowler posted:

I had a really hard time caring about the runner-up on season 2.

Like, I get that he's a veteran and that deserves some respect, and he probably saw some absolutely awful poo poo and likely needs treatment for PTSD, but... dude has some serious insecurity, self-image, and anger issues. Some of the stuff he said, if I heard from someone around me, would make me worry he might end up on the news as as office shooter.

I was really bummed that the one who invented his own board games and other fun distractions went home because he felt like the experience was starting to turn him into a different person, and he was afraid his significant other might not like who he turned into. I totally get it, but that was my favorite participant from Season 2.

Yeah that dude was a giant loving prick and I'm so glad he didn't win. My wife and I have nicknames for everyone like there was home gym guy and kayak guy and he was anger management guy. I'm sorry but there's no loving way that dude doesn't abuse his wife, at least verbally/psychologically.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Phy posted:

My favorite example of that was the American cop on vacation in Calgary without his gun, who drat near had a panic attack when two young men walked up and asked him if he'd been to the Stampede

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/michigan-cop-wishes-he-could-carry-gun-in-calgary-park-1.909051

Yeah, and the American cop basically implying that he totally would have shot those two young men, who, for context for those that don't know it, basically asked if they'd been to the local world-famous festival/county-fair style party being hosted in the city at that time (as it is every year). Literally the most innocuous and friendly thing a stranger could say to you. And Nose Hill Park is basically a giant oasis of nature surrounded by residential neighborhoods, largely prairie land upon which you can see in every direction for miles, because, while not flat, as it's a hilly park, the native vegetation is short in height and mostly grassland, with a few trees here and there, other than a few valley spots around streams with lots of trees, and people can see you from the local main roads quite easily, too, so it's the least dangerous spot I can think of in the City, honestly, for someone to be, in terms of risk of someone suddenly mugging you or whatever. Especially given that half the people in the park at any time have their dogs with them, and the various hiking trails are incredibly obvious in how they're worn out in the surrounding grasses, so everyone can see everyone else coming, generally, from the aforementioned miles away, so it's not exactly the sort of place a criminal would pick, one would think, for confronting someone and demanding money or whatever.

It's still the champion of sheer 'what the gently caress, Americans, I know we're different, but we're not THAT different, surely?' for me, in the reverse culture shock Olympics.

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

Those look pretty nice. What do you think about their Salyani?

Slim with a thin spine and fairly long blade. Good qualities in a weapon, less good if you're using it to process wood. I'm not a fan of how pronounced the curve is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The cop's attempt to paint them as thugs instead of random passerby asking a friendly question is killing me.

quote:

Wawra says the two men asked twice in a "very aggressive tone" whether the couple had been to the Calgary Stampede yet. They were "disrespectful" and had a "menacing manner," he recalls.

He says he ignored the two men at first, but when they moved closer he responded: "Gentlemen, I have no need to talk with you. Goodbye."
Probable translation: They asked him normally, which he interpreted as aggression because they weren't being meek and timid. They were "disrespectful" because they talked to him at all, and they had a "menacing manner" because he needed more scary sounding phrases to make himself sound like the victim. They moved closer because they probably thought he didn't hear them.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's still the champion of sheer 'what the gently caress, Americans, I know we're different, but we're not THAT different, surely?' for me, in the reverse culture shock Olympics.
To be fair, it's an American cop. Shooting people for no reason and making up bullshit about it afterward is their hobby.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm gonna make assumptions and suggest the cop heard an accent and assumed they weren't white.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

quote:

Wawra says the two men asked twice in a "very aggressive tone" whether the couple had been to the Calgary Stampede yet. They were "disrespectful" and had a "menacing manner," he recalls.

Are cops just trained to describe everyone like this in case they cap them.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
This is not very on topic

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Yeah, and the American cop basically implying that he totally would have shot those two young men, who, for context for those that don't know it, basically asked if they'd been to the local world-famous festival/county-fair style party being hosted in the city at that time (as it is every year). Literally the most innocuous and friendly thing a stranger could say to you. And Nose Hill Park is basically a giant oasis of nature surrounded by residential neighborhoods, largely prairie land upon which you can see in every direction for miles, because, while not flat, as it's a hilly park, the native vegetation is short in height and mostly grassland, with a few trees here and there, other than a few valley spots around streams with lots of trees, and people can see you from the local main roads quite easily, too, so it's the least dangerous spot I can think of in the City, honestly, for someone to be, in terms of risk of someone suddenly mugging you or whatever. Especially given that half the people in the park at any time have their dogs with them, and the various hiking trails are incredibly obvious in how they're worn out in the surrounding grasses, so everyone can see everyone else coming, generally, from the aforementioned miles away, so it's not exactly the sort of place a criminal would pick, one would think, for confronting someone and demanding money or whatever.

He’s an American cop, who basically get to play in a fantasy world where they are all terrorist fighting operators and everyone is locked in a life and death struggle against them, especially unarmed children.

They really believe this poo poo, google David Grossman, the top police “expert” in the United States.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is not very on topic

What if we deported all cops to mount Everest though

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What if we deported all cops to mount Everest though

Go on

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

They'll need to choose their ten items first.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Get me the president of TV right now.

And an ironclad liability waiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Outrail posted:

They'll need to choose their ten items first.

9 Thin Blue Line Patches
1 Drop Piece

Just like their EDC