Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have 10 RAID TBs in a NAS but no way to run ethernet to the MiSTer. I should pick up a wifi dingle but I doubt that would be enough for SMB?

Throughput-wise, it'd probably be fine, but I'd worry about access time issues as the result of wireless interference. So, it might work, or it might be inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I needed a wifi dongle for updates anyway so I grabbed one, I'll fiddle around with network sharing if I have time. If not I'm thinking I should just get a powered 3.5" drive enclosure and throw a 6TB WD Blue in there for 100$ and forget about it.
Also finally got around to ordering vga-bnc cables and a dac so I can try this thing out on my PVM.
If MiSTer gets PS1 and saturn support eventually I'll be so happy and it will become my main device.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kreeblah posted:

Throughput-wise, it'd probably be fine, but I'd worry about access time issues as the result of wireless interference. So, it might work, or it might be inconsistent.
In theory disc-based games should at least have some tolerance for variations in performance because real discs had issues where a re-read might be required or other glitches occur. As long as your WiFi isn't total crap I'd imagine it'll work fine. I don't play any of the disc-based platforms normally so I haven't actually tried though.

Cartridge-based games are definitely not tolerant to latency (most of the time, but as proven by the Genesis and GBA cores it can work in some cases), but those load the ROM entirely to RAM on startup so the only difference would be a slower launch.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

Anyone here using mister in an arcade cabinet with a jamma adapter? There appears to be a few.

Curious if something like that would work and if and how you could force the video output to be 480p ie vga if possible (vs 15khz 240p).

My arcade cab has a pi2jamma and a neo geo board in it, it sounds like mister could possibly replace the pi for some stuff, hence the curiosity.

Here's a pseudo beta review of MiSTercade which looks like a new one from misteraddons (or something).

https://github.com/misteraddons/MiSTercade

Supports 15khz and 31khz, so that's great. After i posted my question a bit ago, i realized that there maybe aren't even yet Sega System 16 cores quite yet so this would be premature for me personally, but this is good progress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-212r6kKC8

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone help w/ getting mame set up? Or point to a good simple guide?

I know -

Step 1: update
step 2 : get mame rom zip
step 3: put somewhere? unzip it? something?
step 4: ???
step 5: run the mra file in the _arcade folder

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waltzing Along posted:

Can someone help w/ getting mame set up? Or point to a good simple guide?

I know -

Step 1: update
step 2 : get mame rom zip
step 3: put somewhere? unzip it? something?
step 4: ???
step 5: run the mra file in the _arcade folder

step 1: delete any arcade stuff youve already tried to do
step 2: run update_all https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Those instructions seem kinda incomplete. Or does doing that download all the roms and set itself up? Does that update more stuff than just going to scripts > update?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
update_all includes the mame-getter scripts which yes, downloads all of the mame ROMs (it will take a long time the first time you run it!).

When you run it, it has a config you can set up on which parts specifically you want to enable (if for example you just want to run one part of it) which I'd recommend taking a look at the first time you run it, but the nominal flow otherwise includes mame-getter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, ok. Thanks.

E: that worked out pretty well. I got the one game I wanted to run to run. Along with a bunch of others. Thanks again.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 7, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had the mister connected to a monitor w/ no sound initially. I connected it to my TV and can't get sound at all. I have the non-digital IO board so should be able to plug headphones in and nothing. Nothing over HDMI, either.

I am at a complete loss as there doesn't seem to be any good info about this. There are a couple pages about no sound over HDMI, but none of that worked. Nothing about no sound at all.

I suspect this is an easy fix but am lost.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do you have any other devices that accept HDMI input with sound that you could test? Are you plugging into a receiver or directly into the TV? The MiSTer does have some handshaking issues at times which can make it misbehave on certain receivers and capture devices, but I'm not sure that would necessarily point to audio issues. I'd first want to confirm that you can get any kind of audio elsewhere (if you have a different HDMI cable that'd probably also be useful for testing).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What's the system volume in the menu?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After fiddling with it it seems that it's just arcade stuff that has no sound. The other stuff works. I do wish configuration was a bit less obtuse.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean that still shouldn't happen, so I'd still be interested in seeing it root caused if you're able. You might have better luck just asking in the MiSTer discord: https://discord.gg/4xKVg4XVYn

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nate RFB posted:

I mean that still shouldn't happen, so I'd still be interested in seeing it root caused if you're able. You might have better luck just asking in the MiSTer discord: https://discord.gg/4xKVg4XVYn

Thanks. I'm curious why it is happening, too. I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting things but this one has me flummoxed.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I think that happened to me to but I honestly can't remember how I fixed it. Probably something I hit accidentally in the ini.
Wait it might have been the hdmi_audio_96k setting. I turned it on assuming it would be better and it worked fine on my PC monitor, then a few weeks later I moved the MiSTer to my TV and couldn't figure out why I didnt have sound because I couldn't remember even changing that setting.
Check if that's causing an issue.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not the 96k thing. I checked that already. Haven't messed with the ini at all, actually. It's just totally stock/base configuration.

E: well it's working now. Did an update_all and that seems to have fixed it. Not sure what was wrong at all. But hooray, now it works.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 17, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Can someone point me to a list of stuff on Amazon to buy? I want the 'better' options, when it comes to RAM or whatever. I am getting confused which extra cables to buy, etc

Ideally I'd be hooking this up to a CRT (which has S-video, component, composite, a Trinitron). But HDMI at some point, I'm sure\

It's showing me a USB hub like this, but I kinda expected to find something I could screw together. Maybe put in a case someday..

Chinook fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He's currently in the middle of a move, but just get your stuff from misteraddons.com.

it sounds like you need, at a minimum:
The DE10
The usb board
a IO board, either analog of digital, probably analog.
the ram card
a power cable
a micro usb card

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Normally I'd say "just get whatever is on misteraddons" but they are moving shop or something so it looks like that whole catalogue won't be available in the short term unless you search for Amazon listings from them specifically. But they otherwise have exactly what you'd need (i.e. recommended 128 MB RAM, a USB hub board you can attached directly to the DE10, etc.).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I will just wait for that site to get back in shape and get my list together in the meantime.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So are the cores for NES and SNES with 100% compatibility, or do some special chips cause some grief?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

univbee posted:

So are the cores for NES and SNES with 100% compatibility, or do some special chips cause some grief?

SNES is missing the chips for Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 1 & 2, and it doesn't do MSU-1. Someone has been working on MSU-1 on and off but I don't think they believe they can get both audio hacks and video hacks working, and since it's not an official chip it's not high priority.

You can see the list of supported NES mappers here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer
I don't think there's anything major in retail games missing but you'll hit snags for sure if you tour bootlegs and chinese hacks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

From what I know, which ain't enough: NES will probably never be 100% compatible with all mappers ever, because the way the system loads cores and games essentially means either you need to build a separate core for every mapper (and no one wants to pick which NES core to open before picking their game), or the core needs to have every chip available at once. Adding 200 one off bootleg mappers means the core code ends up a big mess, beyond the work to actually build them.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 18, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.etsy.com/market/mister_fpga

This shop is still open and has pretty much everything, too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's a etsy search page with multiple sellers. In there, I can say Zerohimself is trustworthy. I've ordered from him multiple times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know that Star Topics specifically is a game you need to seek out a version with a fixed mapper (2.0 header with mapper 1), but AFAIK near 100% of every other standard ROM dump for it will work just fine.

E: Zoda's Revenge as well, duh.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 18, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does mister support the weird chip that Far East of Eden Zero uses. It’s one of the only games that’s still unplayable on SD2SNES.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Does mister support the weird chip that Far East of Eden Zero uses. It’s one of the only games that’s still unplayable on SD2SNES.

Yes. The SPC7110 is supported.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Chinook posted:

Can someone point me to a list of stuff on Amazon to buy? I want the 'better' options, when it comes to RAM or whatever. I am getting confused which extra cables to buy, etc

Ideally I'd be hooking this up to a CRT (which has S-video, component, composite, a Trinitron). But HDMI at some point, I'm sure\

It's showing me a USB hub like this, but I kinda expected to find something I could screw together. Maybe put in a case someday..

order one of these now and maybe it will have come in by the time you get the rest of your decisions squared away

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/

I would, knowing what I know now, get a blister board instead of the usb hub board.

mister addons is still the place to pick stuff up at.

you need snac cables for whatever controllers you want to plug in and an analog io board

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Voice of Labor posted:

order one of these now and maybe it will have come in by the time you get the rest of your decisions squared away

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/

I would, knowing what I know now, get a blister board instead of the usb hub board.

mister addons is still the place to pick stuff up at.

you need snac cables for whatever controllers you want to plug in and an analog io board

Curious, why the blisster board? Low latency?

About 10 years ago, I had Paul from https://www.infiniteneslives.com/products.php make me a set of original NES, SNES, and 3 button Genesis controllers that connected via USB. I don't know what chips he used, but from what I can see, if you get a blisster board or use the SNAC adapters, you're basically doing the same thing that I already have, correct?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

You can see the list of supported NES mappers here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer

Thanks for this, didn't find it earlier.

I ran the GoodNES ROMset through with mapper separating. A few steps later, I had a full list of ROMs that aren't compatible. It seems the only stuff that's of any significance is VS stuff like VS Super Mario Bros, although there might be some serviceable mapper conversions that work.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Just got my MiSTer today and the analog video output is magenta. Really hope it's just the cable and not the IO board.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

elf help book posted:

That's a etsy search page with multiple sellers. In there, I can say Zerohimself is trustworthy. I've ordered from him multiple times.

Ugh. You're right. I didn't notice I'd grabbed the wrong link. But zerohimself is the page I meant to copy.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/zerohimself?listing_id=762940600

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Hot Stunt posted:

Just got my MiSTer today and the analog video output is magenta. Really hope it's just the cable and not the IO board.

Ah, just had to activate YPbPr in the ini. Can't wait to play around with this.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Silly Burrito posted:

Curious, why the blisster board? Low latency?

About 10 years ago, I had Paul from https://www.infiniteneslives.com/products.php make me a set of original NES, SNES, and 3 button Genesis controllers that connected via USB. I don't know what chips he used, but from what I can see, if you get a blisster board or use the SNAC adapters, you're basically doing the same thing that I already have, correct?

the reason for doing serial connectors is latency.

there's one serial port on the io board. if you want to do two players or, like, a controller and a lightgun, you need the blister.

nothing special about it, there just isn't a second serial port on the base hardware.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

univbee posted:

I ran the GoodNES ROMset through with mapper separating. A few steps later, I had a full list of ROMs that aren't compatible. It seems the only stuff that's of any significance is VS stuff like VS Super Mario Bros, although there might be some serviceable mapper conversions that work.

Sick, good work

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

This thing loving owns. The analog signal is way better than what I get out of my SNES and Mega Drive through my RGB to Component setup and being able to simultaneously output to a CRT and HDMI display is great. Can't believe I waited this long to jump in.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

univbee posted:

Interesting. For Vs. games it looks like it's probably because of mapper 99 which handles stuff like coin insertion and dip switch settings https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_099

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Hot Stunt posted:

This thing loving owns. The analog signal is way better than what I get out of my SNES and Mega Drive through my RGB to Component setup and being able to simultaneously output to a CRT and HDMI display is great. Can't believe I waited this long to jump in.
Yeah, I've had a MiSTer for a while but only recently tried analog output, and it really is nice.