Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I just want someone else to watch this garbage and tell me it's as terrible as I know it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWm9PcfTQjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
That was a train crash, and i could not stop watching it.

Arban fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 17, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I could only watch 30 seconds, that fake banter bullshit makes my skin crawl

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

fizzymercy posted:

I just want someone else to watch this garbage and tell me it's as terrible as I know it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWm9PcfTQjs

It's a wreck, but it would be less of a wreck if there wasn't an artificial time limit imposed. Josh is at his worst and most annoying when he gets shouty. Also time limit poo poo doesn't work when the guy "helping" (who didn't even expect to be doing anything!) isn't also a cook.

And this is coming from someone with a high tolerance for his schtick.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/QzqvtqyqxiE

This channel really should be insufferable because it starts out as just a rich kid doing rich kid poo poo but he discovered that when he gets his dad (Susur Lee, an actual Iron Chef from IC Canada and international restauranteur) to use fast food to make better food, he gets views. So he’s done that more recently.

The kid is kinda lame but it’s funny to see a legit chef like Susur Lee at home, he’s very chill and it’s interesting to hear him talk about fast food (like comparing the CFA chicken Sando to the Popeyes one), but it’s even more dope to watch him turn fast food into fancy food, even if it’s not like “easy, you can do this at home”

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I want to like that channel but he cuts around and edits so heavily I got motion sick. The camera never ever stops moving. I think I'm too old for this extremely youtube-style filming. But if I close my eyes it sure is fun to hear Susur Lee get saucy about making good bad food. He's very drat likeable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

This channel really should be insufferable because it starts out as just a rich kid doing rich kid poo poo but he discovered that when he gets his dad (Susur Lee, an actual Iron Chef from IC Canada and international restauranteur) to use fast food to make better food, he gets views. So he’s done that more recently.

The kid is kinda lame but it’s funny to see a legit chef like Susur Lee at home, he’s very chill and it’s interesting to hear him talk about fast food (like comparing the CFA chicken Sando to the Popeyes one), but it’s even more dope to watch him turn fast food into fancy food, even if it’s not like “easy, you can do this at home”

this is a good find, i don't care about the kid but Susur owns

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fartington Butts posted:

The second part of the Reply All stuff has popped up on Overcast. Haven't listened yet, but will be doing so while playing some Hades.

Reply All exploded over that podcast almost like Bon Appetit. Two of the most prominent people on the show quit because they were accused of trying to bust the union at their podcast company.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

xtal posted:

Reply All exploded over that podcast almost like Bon Appetit. Two of the most prominent people on the show quit because they were accused of trying to bust the union at their podcast company.

What? the hosts? Man that's too bad it was a decent show when they found a good topic and not some dumb bullshit

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

What? the hosts? Man that's too bad it was a decent show when they found a good topic and not some dumb bullshit

PJ and Sruthi, they both lead the BA series. Check PJ's twitter for his statement, or the reply all subreddit.

Vv: They make official statements on reddit, which you could say is its own problem

xtal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I'd rather never visit either of those sites. That sucks to hear, oh well the podcast seemed like it ran outta steam awhile ago.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Reply All subreddit also got real angry about the BA podcasts because it was supposedly biased and too entangled in America’s culture wars as opposed to whatever the series originally was about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

The Reply All subreddit also got real angry about the BA podcasts because it was supposedly biased and too entangled in America’s culture wars as opposed to whatever the series originally was about.

Yeah that'd be why I don't use reddit. poo poo like the upvote system makes discussing anything with any level of intelligence absolutely impossible.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Vegetable posted:

I'll never understand people falling over themselves to ask 'but what about the racist's side of the story!?!?' :nallears:

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah that'd be why I don't use reddit.
Agreed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The original sin of Gimlet Media was and will always be canceling Starlee Kine's phenomenal 'Mystery Show'. If you haven't given it a listen, def do: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/mystery-show. If memory recalls correctly, it was the first show to really go big and they immediately killed it in favor of pushing other programming.

She's gone on to other pastures, but pretty frequently notes how poo poo their culture was.

That said, separating art from artist the RA's on BA has been very good. Hope the hosts actually reckon with how that situation mirrors. One of the hosts stepping down is a good start.

DC Murderverse posted:

Ditto Eke here. The chef talking through the food is fantastic.

The kid's insight is comically dumb, love this. "I like how the rice is still hot because it was inside the thing" grade A commetnary.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've not looked deeply into it but I always remembered the problem with mystery show is that season 2 kept getting delayed because it was just extremely difficult to find topics for her to cover. I mean season 1 had six episodes and at least two of those already were duds. the actor's height and the Britney one.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My understanding was it wasn't a lack of topics, but timing, budget, and Gimlet's culture.

Also I wouldn't in a million years consider those duds. The ending to the Brittney episode is incredible. & the Jake Gyllenhaal height ep ended with an appearance on Conan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR_MZy7vBTo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

eke out posted:

this is a good find, i don't care about the kid but Susur owns

Susur is a good chef but restaurant people here in Toronto have called him out for being a terrible, borderline abusive employer. He's definitely got a rep as a kind of David Chang-esque rear end in a top hat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One of my favorite David Chang moments was in Ugly Delicious when he had dinner with Rene Redzepi and they’re talking about I forgot what, but then Rene disagrees with him about something and you see David bite his lip because he wants to explode but he can’t since he’s on camera

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I forgot all about mystery show. drat you for making me miss it all over again :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

I forgot all about mystery show. drat you for making me miss it all over again :(
The belt buckle episode was beautiful, even if I didn't love some of the episodes.

For content have you guys checked out Ethan Chelbowski? He's a home cook, but he's got decent technique and a real methodology to the way he cooks. He's a lot better than half the people I see in the youtube game. I still think his Carnitas are bullshit however, If you aren't doing it in lard you aren't making Carnitas

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Time magazine says Sohla is one of the 100 emerging leaders shaping our future

https://time.com/collection/time100-next-2021/5937716/sohla-el-waylly/

Seems kind of lofty praise but I'll be honest and say I recognize her more than most of the people on the list

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think I've linked it here before but this is one of my favorite cooking channels (especially if you speak Spanish, although you don't really need to). Sometimes the videos are kind of long but they're always badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdOo9Uteif8

The bonus is that at the end of every video her cute kid is always eating the food which is really endearing.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The belt buckle episode was beautiful, even if I didn't love some of the episodes.

For content have you guys checked out Ethan Chelbowski? He's a home cook, but he's got decent technique and a real methodology to the way he cooks. He's a lot better than half the people I see in the youtube game. I still think his Carnitas are bullshit however, If you aren't doing it in lard you aren't making Carnitas

I like him, except for the intro: "Hi, I'm Ethan..." Not sure what it is, the intonation or something just makes me irrationally angry.

I made the carnitas this weekend actually. I have no frame of reference for authenticity cause I'm in Norway and we just moved beyond the seasoned ground beef taco kit stage like 5 years ago. Real or not, they turned out absolutely delicious, and impressed my date, so I will definitely make again.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think the whole "simmer in water until the fat is rendered out and the water evaporates, then fry in fat" technique is pretty common

but i prefer the seriouseats version where, basically, if you don't have a ton of lard/fat you can just pack the pork shoulder tightly in a pan so that you don't need more than like a cup of fat to submerge it, then cover and bake until tender and crisp it at the end

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

Seems kind of lofty praise but I'll be honest and say I recognize her more than most of the people on the list

These lists are garbage, but hey, praise away imo. It's kind of a bummer they don't really emphasize her skills as a cook/host there much at all.

That Ethan fella is making good stuff. It feels like a throwback to see a channel putting out <10 minute videos too, bless his heart.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Time's weird lists of people are definitely hot garbage, but I'm not gonna take that away from the people that get featured on there. Yesterday I was looking up the dude that made the game Forager and saw that he was on the 30 under 30 (coughgriffinmcelroycough). I think they are constructed by people just shotgunning names onto a whiteboard.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm lolling just a tiny bit that Natalie Wynn & Abigail Thorne didn't make the list for advocates (or at all.) But that's just, me being a catty bitch. (They're behind ContraPoints and Philosophy Tube, respectively.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Time's been a joke ever since they decided "You" was man of the year in like 08 or whenever, I know print media is dying, but you'd think they'd at least try and keep to a higher standard instead of lowering themselves down to the level of Buzzfeed clickbait and poo poo youtube tier lists.

The World Inferno posted:

These lists are garbage, but hey, praise away imo. It's kind of a bummer they don't really emphasize her skills as a cook/host there much at all.

That Ethan fella is making good stuff. It feels like a throwback to see a channel putting out <10 minute videos too, bless his heart.

Yeah it's the same reason I like Chef John, good technique well explained and no bullshit twenty minute personal anecdotes or trying to make themselves a marketable character.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it's the same reason I like Chef John, good technique well explained and no bullshit twenty minute personal anecdotes or trying to make themselves a marketable character.

He makes a very smart decision to never include measurements of stuff in the video itself; he'll just say "add the cinnamon" or "now it's time for the vinegar" or whatever, and you have to refer back to the recipe for the measurements. Which I think is really clever since it's separating prep and technique in a very efficient way

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It also lets him double dip on ads since you'll have to watch the youtube and the site

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they've officially cancelled the Bon Appetit series of reply all lol

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol :rip:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think reply all is long for this world. Oh well they shoulda stuck to weird tech poo poo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

eke out posted:

they've officially cancelled the Bon Appetit series of reply all lol

wait they aren't even going to release the rest of the episodes? Bleh, just release them as is ya cowards.

The Gimlet situation is worth analysis, criticism, and the fall out seems completely appropriate - but they were also telling the story of BA in a really thorough and good manner. I suppose it's separation of art and artist, but I was still looking forward to the next two parts.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

It seems like the Bon Appetit series was poorly received by people for a number of different reasons, one of which is people felt they weren't reporting anything serious and that it was just New York journalist elites engaging in navel gazing.

Having spent a lot of time reading about the drama when it blew up last year, I know that there are a lot of really lovely things that did happen, and I was fine with the slow build up over four episodes.

Separate from the story itself, Gimlet sounds like a mess. I'm curious if Reply All can recover. They added a third (now second?) co-host last year, but he seems to have been featured on only a couple of stories. He did reporting for the podcast before that and his stories were all solid. It will be a shame if the show shuts down before he can get a chance to really host.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, what a bad place to end the podcast too, literally right before it gets to the part where the modern Test Kitchen as we know it officially began. My guess is that episode 3 would have been all the shady poo poo that happened before summer 2020, and it would have ended with the Rapaport photo coming to light and Sohla's various revelations. Episode 4 would probably have been the fallout from all of that until present day.

Ah well. Feels like making a docu-series about WWII and canceling it on December 6, 1941.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Totally understand the circumstances, but the project was already done and finished, sucks that it's just getting binned. The last two episodes worth of interviews are what I was really looking forward to since I hadn't known BA before then. The whole package was such a specific topic of interest that they should've released the whole thing at once as a miniseries instead of dragging it out in the first place imo

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 26, 2021

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
In much better news, Motz is at it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhioQaRjK5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84j41b5Z7s

Tasting History has a dangerous contender.