Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

OwlFancier posted:

"The future will look utterly unlike the past, we will seize the means of extending the business rate holiday!"

Five giants on the road to post-war reconstruction.

Filling in three pot-holes on the road to post-covid mediocrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Come, comrades, to the barricades! I swear to you on this day, they shall never take from us our extended business rate holiday, not while there is breath in my body!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Extended VAT cuts for businesses, miniature union jacks for others

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Smashing a cup with "Controls on business rate holidays" written on it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol incredible finish to that second tweet

https://twitter.com/huwlemmey/status/1362326418554839040?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol but also lol at how lazy private eye are

https://twitter.com/0Calamity/status/1362189557530255366?s=19

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jose posted:

i think grant morrison inflicts all his sexual fantasies on his fans who read his stuff

edit: was thinking of garth ennis

Grant Morrison uses They/Them if your going to slander them don't misgender them as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rumda posted:

Grant Morrison uses They/Them if your going to slander them don't misgender them as well.

It's good to correct people when they use the incorrect pronouns but please dont be a dick about it

Also its "you're" not "your"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

"Sigh, look, you don't get it. I did it for money."

"You don't understand, the Mail has such high quality racism, it's an honour to write for it."

https://twitter.com/catherinecooper/status/1362080472608735233?s=19

https://twitter.com/stonecoldstev3/status/1362134167623000066?s=19

I am a writer/journo, although not of the Fleet Street news type (thankfully!). In my field there are absolutely publications that I refuse to write for because the publication is generally poo poo, the editor's a power-tripping dickhead or the publishing company is egregiously evil in some way.

I have turned down money because I don't want my name to appear in those titles. Granted, I have never been forced into a position where I have to literally choose between eating and writing low-grade misleading swill to give sloppies to advertisers, but I suspect none of these DM writers have either. And when the pandemic hit I probably could have made easy cash by working for one of those shoddy, low-grade magazines copy/pasting corporate press releases as editorial or writing trip reports as if I'd actually been somewhere without leaving my desk...but I'd rather live with myself a bit easier and so I signed on with an agency to drive a delivery van instead.

That tweet/replies is...not exactly shocking, but really revealing about how morally bankrupt 'journalism' actually is. All these people happy to keep a publication like the DM going to print because it pays well and it 'get's their work out there for people to read'. Yeah, read by angry racists, bigots and reactionaries who consume this stuff because hate is the emotional response they have left in their dead hearts. You must be so proud to get your vital work out to such people. Utter, utter ghouls, the lot of them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm pretty sure you have to be independently wealthy to write for major publications these days anyway

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

"You don't understand, the Mail has such high quality racism, it's an honour to write for it."

https://twitter.com/catherinecooper/status/1362080472608735233?s=19

https://twitter.com/stonecoldstev3/status/1362134167623000066?s=19

I am a writer/journo, although not of the Fleet Street news type (thankfully!). In my field there are absolutely publications that I refuse to write for because the publication is generally poo poo, the editor's a power-tripping dickhead or the publishing company is egregiously evil in some way.

I have turned down money because I don't want my name to appear in those titles. Granted, I have never been forced into a position where I have to literally choose between eating and writing low-grade misleading swill to give sloppies to advertisers, but I suspect none of these DM writers have either. And when the pandemic hit I probably could have made easy cash by working for one of those shoddy, low-grade magazines copy/pasting corporate press releases as editorial or writing trip reports as if I'd actually been somewhere without leaving my desk...but I'd rather live with myself a bit easier and so I signed on with an agency to drive a delivery van instead.

That tweet/replies is...not exactly shocking, but really revealing about how morally bankrupt 'journalism' actually is. All these people happy to keep a publication like the DM going to print because it pays well and it 'get's their work out there for people to read'. Yeah, read by angry racists, bigots and reactionaries who consume this stuff because hate is the emotional response they have left in their dead hearts. You must be so proud to get your vital work out to such people. Utter, utter ghouls, the lot of them.

I think Journalists see themselves a bit like barristers, in that one week they are defending a monster but the next they are putting them down.

Problem is barristers have no choice, journalists do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BalloonFish posted:

I've met friends of friends who write for the Sun, Mail, Express etc and they've all been white middle-class university-educated young people with basically bog-standard liberal politics. When I've asked them how they can do it they justify it by saying they obviously don't actually believe what they write but if they weren't doing it someone else would be (and don't worry , they also despise the readership). I guess at some point in journalism school it gets drummed into you that a newspaper's political stance is irrelevant and work is work.

Always thought that makes them scummier tbh.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thing is the Mail is the most read paper in the country and getting an actual journalist job there is hard as hell.

It's not something that fell into their lap while they were panicking about how to make rent, all of these people had to make a real concerted effort to be allowed to write for the Mail.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Haha, I bloody well knew that Starmers great policy stand would involve minor tinkering with business rates. What a predictable and useless muppet he is.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fridge corn posted:

It's good to correct people when they use the incorrect pronouns but please dont be a dick about it

Also its "you're" not "your"

It's good to correct people when they use the incorrect contractions but please don’t be a complete loving idiot about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If people didn't write for the mail, the mail would go bust, and mail writers wouldn't be able to eat.

Somewhere in this chain of events, a bad thing happens, but I can't personally place where it is.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Also not even reversing UC cuts. Reversing "planned" cuts. So just leaving it as it is instead of making it *even worse*? That's the visionary attitude I've long said this country needs.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I've met friends of friends who write for the Sun, Mail, Express etc and they've all been white middle-class university-educated young people with basically bog-standard liberal politics. When I've asked them how they can do it they justify it by saying they obviously don't actually believe what they write but if they weren't doing it someone else would be (and don't worry , they also despise the readership). I guess at some point in journalism school it gets drummed into you that a newspaper's political stance is irrelevant and work is work.

Always thought that makes them scummier tbh.

I would absolutely agree.

It would be one thing if the writers at the Mail or the Express actually thought that immigrant transgender terrorist benefit-cheats were going to kill all the swans to lower house prices and give the ghost of Princess Diana cancer or whatever. But to sit down and write this stuff - stuff which, to any sentient being, clearly has a direct impact on attitudes and political outcomes in this country - while knowing it's all bollocks but the boss pays you to write it and laughing it off as either an interesting creative writing exercise ("I want a fresh new angle on how to stir up distrust of marginalised social groups, something no-one's ever tried before and I'm putting this in your pigeon hole because you're the best writer I've got" "Gosh, thanks chief...") or just clocking in and out down the [racist] word factory is just...I dunno.

It's like whenever Clarkson would drop a slur on Top Gear and people would say "He's not a bigot, he just pretends to be a bigot because it gets good ratings". If anything that's way worse!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's good to correct people when they use the incorrect contractions but please don’t be a complete loving idiot about it

I wasnt correcting their misuse of contractions, I was correcting their spelling but whatever. Have a nice day! It seems you could use one

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh it's fridge corn. I should have spotted that. :doh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Labour conference percentages chat last night reminded me of this tweet for some reason.
https://twitter.com/WTMMP/status/1360366173444014081

also
https://twitter.com/WTMMP/status/1360416278385745931

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

Also not even reversing UC cuts. Reversing "planned" cuts. So just leaving it as it is instead of making it *even worse*? That's the visionary attitude I've long said this country needs.

Universal Credit, famously generous before this latest round of proposed cuts. Apparently minimum wage is only planned to go up 20p this year for 25+ as well.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
"Actually, I was being pedantic in a slightly different way from the pedantry which you have pedantically highlighted - maybe you should try being less pedantic?" I said, pedantically.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just think people should be less hostile

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

I just think people should be less hostile

Make me fucker!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

fridge corn posted:

Na gently caress off with that, poo poo like this with people not giving a poo poo is the constant lowscale grinding down of trans people which makes the bigger things hurt more

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao currently trending Restart Brexit :yum:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-restart-boris-johnson-conservative-b1803583.html

quote:

Restart Brexit talks because UK is ‘less safe and less secure’, Tory group tells Boris Johnson
‘Every day that passes is storing up problems ... the government cannot simply cross its fingers and hope’

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 18, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Make me fucker!

Ok, you're fucker now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362169661140402176?s=19

I can hear the disillusioned voters stampeding back to Labour...

Oh, no, wait. It's a massive fart.

lol he's just so astoundingly fuckign useless.

Like if he was just a piece of poo poo politician he would lie and offer a bunch and then get in and say "unfortunately the tories have hosed it so badly i need to give all the pounds to my mate's consultancy" but he is actually to incompetent to try lying about it first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao currently trending Restart Brexit :yum:

The hell does that even mean?

sebzilla posted:

Ok, you're fucker now.

Finally achieved something in my life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guardian journalist here appears to be suggestion coohoolin isn't jewish

https://twitter.com/DonnaLFerguson/status/1362148010008981509?s=19

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

"Actually, I was being pedantic in a slightly different way from the pedantry which you have pedantically highlighted - maybe you should try being less pedantic?" I said, pedantically.
should be an em dash not a hyphen :eng101:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rumda posted:

Na gently caress off with that, poo poo like this with people not giving a poo poo is the constant lowscale grinding down of trans people which makes the bigger things hurt more

See, I really don't think you are helping the cause by being rude and nasty to people who just need a gentle reminder or perhaps a little bit of education on the subject. You aren't going to win over any new allies that way. I can understand treating someone in this way who is misgendering repeatedly and deliberately but that clearly isn't the case here

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the one hand, even the Tories are realising that we've totally hosed it. On the other hand, the boomers are still in control and would eat their own children if someone told them it was a source of proper British roughage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It means that the headbangers are agitating because we didn't get No Deal and so their shorts aren't fully paying out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fridge corn posted:

See, I really don't think you are helping the cause by being rude and nasty to people who just need a gentle reminder or perhaps a little bit of education on the subject. You aren't going to win over any new allies that way. I can understand treating someone in this way who is misgendering repeatedly and deliberately but that clearly isn't the case here

I've been a massive Grant Morrison fan for like 20 years and had absolutely no idea that they preferred they/them pronouns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently the UK is "less safe and less secure :qq:" according to a group of Tories who were repeatedly warned that this would happen, so they want to do the whole thing over again.

Then again I suspect they know that the only people who win when you repeatedly relitigate something is the lawyers and just so happen to be related.

Jose posted:

Guardian journalist here appears to be suggestion coohoolin isn't jewish

https://twitter.com/DonnaLFerguson/status/1362148010008981509?s=19
Look who else joined in :yikes:
https://twitter.com/JonathanSGlass/status/1362146017483911173

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ https://twitter.com/McfeeFanny/status/1362166165955575810?s=20

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been a massive Grant Morrison fan for like 20 years and had absolutely no idea that they preferred they/them pronouns.

Morrison only came out as enby last November.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 18, 2021

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Necrothatcher posted:

It was literally all over every newsfeed with any interests even tangentially connected to gender or comics in last year, and it was posted in the ukmt at the time as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Add me to the list of people who had no idea. Sometimes these things just pass you by.