Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
What's to stop people from just making a second account? I don't see how you can realistically limit character slots without charging for accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Yeah that’s mostly what I mean. The vanilla game was 1 character per purchased copy and multiboxing wasn’t really a thing then, even for people who don’t care about money. Now that you can have basically infinite characters and easily multi box or automate them you remove the old barriers. There’s some stuff you can do regarding accounts but none of it is foolproof and it has its downsides too.

I just don’t know that there’s a different direction to go other than something completely off the wall like introducing resource decay where they only exist a few months(?).

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Even Live had the problem to an extent. Cross-sever building lot swaps were BIG on Eclipse.

bluewolf78
Apr 17, 2020

Ugato posted:

I just don’t know that there’s a different direction to go other than something completely off the wall like introducing resource decay where they only exist a few months(?).

That or an over time stat decay so that they may be used as grinder resources?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There are actually rules regarding second accounts in the same household. You have to mail in a photo of your CD's with your username/email written on a piece of paper. Needs to have 2 sets of CD's in the picture too.

They have said suncrusher won't be 10 character lots for their server but it will be more than 1 slot.

e - The rules are for basilisk server.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I think it'd be fine with, like, 3-4 toons per account, and 2 online at once (for multi-family households). Bot buffs are still gonna be huge (they were a staple even on live. Anyone remember the buffbot lines outside Cnet starport?), but the lack of one account being self-sustaining will hopefully encourage more socialization.

I think lower yields on resource collectors, and higher refresh rates, combined with reduced condition levels across the board, will help with turnover. The people who just farm resources for *mad ca$$$$$h* will complain cuz they have to devote more of their time to rotating resources. But the people who actually want to craft poo poo will probably just take it in stride (I hope...). Heck, could even have a "mining/farming" profession, like how rangers gather animal resources. They'd have access to higher yield equipment that maybe has a more involved process, but could get you more resources, or refine higher quality resources. Could put surveying in Artisan as the prereq. If you want to be a mogul, you gotta invest the time.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thought I'd go have a read on the SWGemu forums.

As it stands, JTL isn't going to be in 1.0 and won't be worked on till either they get more staff or after suncrusher goes live.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
O yeah, and they've finished the games development phase and have moved into beta phase and looks like it's stress testing poo poo and stuff rather adding stuff like Jedi etc. Who knows, maybe we will see Suncrusher next year. Maybe Covid will give them more time on SWG.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I heard that about JTL. But there's one guy there who's been doing his own development based on Wing Commander 3's code. He sounds like he's making promising progress.

Anyway, 1.0 sounds like it might be an attainable thing. AI has made some promising progress in the last year or two, and is apparently what Pub 11 is all about. Here's hoping.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

SoUncool posted:

Yeah, I heard that about JTL. But there's one guy there who's been doing his own development based on Wing Commander 3's code. He sounds like he's making promising progress.

:dudsmile:

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

SoUncool posted:

I genuinely thought that was a star citizen joke for a moment.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh my god this is a thing again? I’m so in

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

I genuinely thought that was a star citizen joke for a moment.

Ha! Would have made for a funny one. But no, there's a legitimate dude using WC3's apparently open source code to build JTL. I'm on mobile, so I'm sorry for the lack of link, but here's the thread:
https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228353

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

So apparently this server has JTL? https://swglegends.com/

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/627440518

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, Legends is pretty much fully featured, plus some new content they've been adding, but it's post-NGE which a lot of people are not into.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This server looks cool though because it appears it has some of its own exclusive made content, including group dungeons with hardmodes and gear exclusive to this server.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I play on legends just for the JTL which is what I miss most about SWG, it's pretty decent and just like live, but there's new space and ground content I think.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I miss the original mantina and our tie-fighter chilling next to it.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Does anyone play on Legends and belong to a decent guild? A friend and I who were diehards back during pre-cu and again during the NGE just found out about Legends and are having a blast but are now at the point where we need a guild to make any additional progress via dungeon gear.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so i checked their website and they say they have about 1500 people playing.

are those 1500 people real people or mostly bots?

are there jedi/sith nerds everywhere or does it have the cool part of star wars ( you know like seedy cantinas, droids being a-holes, and bounty hunters)?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
There's a significant number of bots, but there's a lot of actual players. It doesn't feel too different from live in terms of population.

And sadly it's the SWG community, which apparently never ages, so there's still no shortage of Sith weirdos running around wearing bat wings and glowing eyes, role-player tagged Jedi running around populated areas in robes with lightsabers out, and Imperial fanboys who are just a little too into the whole authoritarianism thing. But those were all present in live, so if anything it makes for a more authentic experience.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

cmdrk posted:

so i checked their website and they say they have about 1500 people playing.

are those 1500 people real people or mostly bots?

are there jedi/sith nerds everywhere or does it have the cool part of star wars ( you know like seedy cantinas, droids being a-holes, and bounty hunters)?

I've been playing for about almost 2 months now. I'd say there are probably a few hundred players AFK macroing in various locations since AFK macro grinding/looting is allowed, and you can have 3 chars loaded at the same time. Also probably another 100 or so AFK buffbots. JTL/Space seems fully implemented with a few new additions. The space community on this server seems extremely active, and pretty chill.

The biggest problem I've had so far is finding crafters to help craft attachments for suits. Unless you already know some crafters, it's next to impossible to find anyone to help make you a set of attachments even if you're willing to overpay for a set. It's mostly because RE'ing a full suit worth of attachments is super tedious, and annoying. It turns into a guild oriented task just to craft a full set of attachments unless you decide to make a trader and respec it 3 times to craft a full set of attachments, or make 3 separate traders on your account.

Mux fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 26, 2020

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Been playing on Infinity server. Small population but good community free of drama. 5x XP, i think. Anyone else still playing?

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
I've been playing on Legends for 79 days now, I joined one of the larger Imperial guilds and it has a pretty healthy community. If you can't find what you need from the bazaar, I would urge you to use the Legends discord and post in the trade channel, people are very responsive and you can find anything from 35s to 5-piece heroic sets.

Yeah it's NGE which is kinda weird, but as someone who only played pre-CU, I can see how this game is a lot more sustainable than the old pre-CU/NGE model. Also, they're about to drop an entire expansion (Bespin), which will be... interesting. If space is your thing, JTL is fully functional and they're adding some new ships before long (TIE XG-1, Lambda shuttle and some other TIE variant which I don't recall atm). The space community is super nice and relaxed, even in PvP, which is refreshing.

Anyway, it's a pretty decent server, though the group PvP is as toxic as ever (mostly because it seems that rebel players, still after all these years are a stain on humanity), so ymmv.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Seconding the love for Legends. The community is lovely, and the economy is healthy. The only issue I have is that they just changed the NPCs in the Death Watch Bunker to be twice as lethal in order to combat spies farming for BLs/PLCs, which did nothing to fix the problem and just makes it more of a grind for everyone else.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I am actually in the process of putting together a server, and in fact have it up in a limited capacity (30 player limit currently - this will be increased once/if I actually launch it) if anyone is interested.

It's literally stock SWGEmu without the 10+ years of overburdened economy and all that goes with it.

If anyone is interested in trying it you can connect using the SWGEmu launchpad and adding the server address: Launchpad -> Settings -> Login Servers -> Add -> srv.sabreswg.com

There's no account server, yet. So you can create an account at the login screen of the server after you launch.

Maybe it'll be a thing, maybe I'll end up playing it by myself.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

ModeSix posted:

I'd be interested in a goon-run server.

No XP boost, though? I'm not sure if I'm up to the full grind anymore. I'm an old man in his thirties with a job and a family.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

LiterallyATomato posted:

I'd be interested in a goon-run server.

No XP boost, though? I'm not sure if I'm up to the full grind anymore. I'm an old man in his thirties with a job and a family.

This is pretty easy to change. Not something I'd really thought about. 2x 3x? I have no idea what people would feel good with, but yeah the grind is definitely real at base 1x.

Edit: I've set the XP multiplier to 2.5x to make the grind... less grind.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 17, 2021

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Edit: I've set the XP multiplier to 2.5x to make the grind... less grind.

Count me in. I made a character just now and will play tonight after the kid goes to sleep.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ModeSix posted:

I am actually in the process of putting together a server, and in fact have it up in a limited capacity (30 player limit currently - this will be increased once/if I actually launch it) if anyone is interested.

It's literally stock SWGEmu without the 10+ years of overburdened economy and all that goes with it.

If anyone is interested in trying it you can connect using the SWGEmu launchpad and adding the server address: Launchpad -> Settings -> Login Servers -> Add -> srv.sabreswg.com

There's no account server, yet. So you can create an account at the login screen of the server after you launch.

honestly that sounds great. the thing that has always put me off from basilisk is the economy, particularly how service jobs have become heavily botted despite being literally one of the primary things that drove the creation of the emu in the first place.

i think i'll play at least a little.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Cool. Everyone is welcome, (unless you're some shitlord who is going to try to exploit and cause grief, in which case Basilisk is that way --> )

I'd be thrilled if I even get a few people playing regularly, just to mess around with things.

If anyone notices any weirdness or things not working let me know.

I mean it's just an interesting thing for me to learn at this point because why not?

Server status thingy: https://sabreswg.com/

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 17, 2021

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Apparently in one of the recent publishes Imperials now stop you and scan you for contraband on Corelia and somewhere else...

Thoughts on leaving this on, or disabling it? It can be annoying when you're zooming along in your Landspeeder and it pulls you out of it to the ground for a random scan.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

In the little I played this morning, I got stopped three times in and near Mos Eisley. All the best guns are sliced, anyway, I say remove it or at least reduce it.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

LiterallyATomato posted:

In the little I played this morning, I got stopped three times in and near Mos Eisley. All the best guns are sliced, anyway, I say remove it or at least reduce it.

Alright, I'll figure out how to disable it. It's pretty annoying.

Edit: found it and disabled, restarting the server now.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 18, 2021

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So I went and rented an actual dedicated bare metal server for this. I plan to move it to the new server over the weekend.

Right now it's running on some cheapo vps.

I guess this is happening, even if I am the only one that ever uses it. :v: I should probably create a thread in PGS for this at some point as well.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Where can I get the base game from nowadays or do you no longer need to have a physical copy anymore? gently caress, I used to have like 20 sets of SWG disks at one point and they have all gradually been binned :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Burt posted:

Where can I get the base game from nowadays or do you no longer need to have a physical copy anymore? gently caress, I used to have like 20 sets of SWG disks at one point and they have all gradually been binned :(

:filez: works. Or you should be able to get the discs on eBay.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

ModeSix posted:

I guess this is happening, even if I am the only one that ever uses it.

A couple quality of life things you may consider that I've seen implemented elsewhere:

1) In vanilla, training a master profession skill requires "mentorship" experience (or something, I forget the actual term) only acquired by teaching skills to others. In a low population server, this can be problematic. You could set the mentorship XP required to 0 but keep the credits requirement for training.

2) I've seen vehicle "summon" times reduced from 15 seconds to 5 or 3. Convenient, but some might consider it cheap, I guess.

3) Raising the number of missions possible to take at a time from 2 to 4 or even 6. Helps the grind faster, either for XP, credits, or faction, with less down time going back and forth between mission terminals.

4) Raising starter credit amount. No need to go nuts, but I think vanilla is 1000 and a lot of servers do several times that.

Just some food for thought. I think those would probably all be easy to implement, but I know nothing about coding.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

LiterallyATomato posted:

A couple quality of life things you may consider that I've seen implemented elsewhere:

1) In vanilla, training a master profession skill requires "mentorship" experience (or something, I forget the actual term) only acquired by teaching skills to others. In a low population server, this can be problematic. You could set the mentorship XP required to 0 but keep the credits requirement for training.

2) I've seen vehicle "summon" times reduced from 15 seconds to 5 or 3. Convenient, but some might consider it cheap, I guess.

3) Raising the number of missions possible to take at a time from 2 to 4 or even 6. Helps the grind faster, either for XP, credits, or faction, with less down time going back and forth between mission terminals.

4) Raising starter credit amount. No need to go nuts, but I think vanilla is 1000 and a lot of servers do several times that.

Just some food for thought. I think those would probably all be easy to implement, but I know nothing about coding.

I think these are all good ideas.

Changing these is fairly easy, and I've got a pretty good handle on where to change various configuration options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Also the max characters online count is currently set at one. I tried making an entertainer to heal my marksman's battle fatigue but they can't both be on at the same time :(