Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Um, the proper term in Marvel Parlance is "Do a Secret Wars," thank you very much :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Superheroes_Secret_Wars is the only real Secret Wars (I'm old come at me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I know it's really because the show started small for us as the audience so we could figure out what the heck is going on (and also that's how each show era worked), but I've noticed with each episode in the show the world is expanding. In each new version of her desired reality she has to expand the stage to keep the illusion cohesive (first it was just her house and Vision's office, then it involved the neighborhood, now it's the whole town). Her expanding the hex's borders is building on that, not only did she want Vision back in but she wanted more cast members/settings/props to make it feel more real. She's feeling like her illusion is incomplete so she's making it more intricate, but that's not making it any more satisfying for her.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

He ran the doctor over to help with the birth

He also runs over to catch the fruit off the table when Wanda is pregnant. And there is a line in the first episode about how he moves at the speed of sound ("who needs to abbreviate!?")

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I love Benson & Moorhead's films, but I've only read that they're directing one episode. Did they announce more?

All their films beyond Resolution are interconnected too. The Endless is basically a straight sequel focusing on different characters, Synchronic explores the drugs made out of the red flowers, and Spring is less direct but namedrops a shared character. They're really creating an interesting universe.

I really didnt like Resolution, but The Endless owned. Especially the implication that the horrible unknowable eldritch horror may be friendly, in its own way. Why else would it goof around and play tug-of-war and catch with the people it imprisons all its new friends?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hughlander posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Superheroes_Secret_Wars is the only real Secret Wars (I'm old come at me.)

I don't want to TOTALLY disagree since the original is an all-time classic, but the 2015 one WAS also quite good, especially for a modern Annual Comic Event.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Sanguinia posted:

I don't want to TOTALLY disagree since the original is an all-time classic, but the 2015 one WAS also quite good, especially for a modern Annual Comic Event.

It definitely fell victim to the pattern of the main series being okay at best but having amazing tie-ins. But the tie-ins were so good it was really stand out.

My fanboy dream would be to see the MCU go full Battleworld for a phase, but that’s not likely. Then again I never thought I’d see a big screen adaptation of Infinity Gauntlet so who knows.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Edmund Lava posted:

It definitely fell victim to the pattern of the main series being okay at best but having amazing tie-ins. But the tie-ins were so good it was really stand out.

My fanboy dream would be to see the MCU go full Battleworld for a phase, but that’s not likely. Then again I never thought I’d see a big screen adaptation of Infinity Gauntlet so who knows.

I will kill and eat anyone that doesn't think original costume Blade teaming up with Howard the duck isn't the best thing ever.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

So, a random comment in youtube made a point and it's actually quite correct. Even if they are from different decades, it seems that the last episode fake sitcom intro was a mashup of Malcom in the Middle and Alf. :psyduck: That explains why even if it wasn't done exactly like Malcom's it was so loving familiar to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hBSMInlDGg

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Desperado Bones posted:

So, a random comment in youtube made a point and it's actually quite correct. Even if they are from different decades, it seems that the last episode fake sitcom intro was a mashup of Malcom in the Middle and Alf. :psyduck: That explains why even if it wasn't done exactly like Malcom's it was so loving familiar to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hBSMInlDGg

I clicked this just to hear the Alf theme because it slaps. That upload messed it up so bad. Sounds a bit off. (In the pandemic ALF became the show I put on an episode of when I know I'm up too late.)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It's probably done on purpose to avoid a copyright strike. It"s sad cuz lots of good stuff gets messed up.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I don’t think this should be a spoiler but I’ll put it in a spoiler just to be sure - just thoughts based on current episodes that I thought were clearly signaling something

The scene with the dead dog seemed super important. Wanda wants to bring Vision back, then Quicksilver, but then she sees visions of each of them dead. Then she is pushed to bring the dog back to life so hard.

It feels like someone is manipulating her into bringing someone or something back from the dead and this whole town, manipulating her with vision and her brother, the two boys, etc., is all in service of that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Lid posted:

David Cross as Thanos.

Chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

I actually disagree, the main Secret Wars book was actually very solid, and Hickman writing Black Panther, sassy Mr Sinister, Molecule Man and the 2 Spider-Men is all really good. Granted, very little lives up to the moment in the Siege (AKA Marvel does GRRM's Night Watch) book where Thanos reminds Ben Grimm who he really is.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

I don’t think this should be a spoiler but I’ll put it in a spoiler just to be sure - just thoughts based on current episodes that I thought were clearly signaling something

The scene with the dead dog seemed super important. Wanda wants to bring Vision back, then Quicksilver, but then she sees visions of each of them dead. Then she is pushed to bring the dog back to life so hard.

It feels like someone is manipulating her into bringing someone or something back from the dead and this whole town, manipulating her with vision and her brother, the two boys, etc., is all in service of that.

Just in case I'm right again in something, and def. not joking this time:
What if It's Agnes' husband? The one we have never ever seen. That's the person someone wants to see back from the death.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Geo Fixer posted:

Are we sure that the person Jimmy was looking for isn't Wanda?
I got that sense. She is a prison escapee I guess.

Except that according to his story, Jimmy was looking for somebody in the Federal Witness Protection Program. Which kind of begs the question of "Why in the hell would Wanda Maximoff, somebody who came damned close to soloing Thanos need protection?" Especially protection of the "change your name and stick you in a piss ant little town somewhere" variety. Even if you assume that Jimmy was lying, why? Why not just go with "Since Wanda Maximoff is kind of a walking nuclear weapon, we had an assignment to watch her and we lost her in this little town? Can we borrow some of your spiffy drones to get eyes on her again?"

GPTribefan posted:

I thought it was Vision, given that she broke into SWORD to steal him, and they were clearly planning something for him.

And Vision's corpse would be in the Federal Witness Protection Program why? And as who? Post-weekend Bernie Lomax?

Plus, again, if the federal witness bit is BS, why would Jimmy expect to find Vision's corpse in Westview, New Jersey? If there was a good reason (witnesses saw Wanda Maximoff telekinetically taking Vision's corpse with her when she got off the bus at Westview) why wouldn't he have shared that earlier? Especially after Heywood mentioned that Wanda had stolen Vision's body.

I think the simplest take on this is that Jimmy was telling the truth. He got involved because a federal witness who had been placed in Westview came up missing. Who is that person? Right now, who gives a poo poo? Because right now there's a red-headed Sokovian Goddess taking a small town on an involuntary tour of American family sitcoms through the decades. The super-secret identity of some rear end in a top hat ratting out the Mob can wait until the Wanda situation gets resolved as far as everybody including Jimmy is concerned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea not everything has to be a huge mystery full of twists and turns, sometime things are what they say they are.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

Yea not everything has to be a huge mystery full of twists and turns, sometime things are what they say they are.

I have no trouble believing that we, the audience will learn the identity of the federal witness. And I suspect that our desired reaction will be "OMFG! That was [insert comic book character name] from [insert Marvel comic book name]!" I mean, let's face it. If one of the last scenes in WandaVision has Jimmy entering Angus's house to address her heretofor unseen "husband" with "Are you ready to go testify, now?" and the response is "In a moment Agent Wu. Would you care to join me for breakfast? I was just about to make an omelet." At which point they reveal Vincent D'onofrio as Wilson Fisk, and we'll collectively lose our god-damned minds.

But that will only happen after the main action of this show has been resolved. The protected witness won't be relevant to that resolution.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
My hope is that they bring in all the Avengers

All of them

I want MCU Jack of Hearts, Triathlon, Moon Dragon, D-Man, Swordsman...

Unironically i expect Thunderstrike to be in Thor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The big casting surprise in Wandavision should be Al Pacino as Al Pacino.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gonz posted:

The big casting surprise in Wandavision should be Al Pacino as Al Pacino.

Maybe they're just going to go for a blazing saddles ending

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lid posted:

Thor's outfit and look in Love & Thunder is apparently modeled on Thunderstrike. I'd presume Jane gets Mjolnir, and he gets a new weapon to go along with that look. Here's hoping Beta Ray Bill shows up too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

I have no trouble believing that we, the audience will learn the identity of the federal witness. And I suspect that our desired reaction will be "OMFG! That was [insert comic book character name] from [insert Marvel comic book name]!" I mean, let's face it. If one of the last scenes in WandaVision has Jimmy entering Angus's house to address her heretofor unseen "husband" with "Are you ready to go testify, now?" and the response is "In a moment Agent Wu. Would you care to join me for breakfast? I was just about to make an omelet." At which point they reveal Vincent D'onofrio as Wilson Fisk, and we'll collectively lose our god-damned minds.

But that will only happen after the main action of this show has been resolved. The protected witness won't be relevant to that resolution.

If nothing else, it'd be quite the coincidence if Jimmy randomly found himself involved in more superhero shenanigans but this time on the opposite side of the country.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's Robert Downey Jr in witness protection, he faked his death with the infinity stones so that he could retire.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alchenar posted:

It's Robert Downey Jr in witness protection, he faked his death with the infinity stones so that he could retire.

A man can only take so much Goop

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

tsob posted:

Thor's outfit and look in Love & Thunder is apparently modeled on Thunderstrike. I'd presume Jane gets Mjolnir, and he gets a new weapon to go along with that look. Here's hoping Beta Ray Bill shows up too.

He has Stormbreaker already. I’m with you on hoping Bill shows up, too

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Alchenar posted:

Its Dexter and his log cabin is in the woods there. Scott Buck merging universes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Retrowave Joe posted:

He has Stormbreaker already. I’m with you on hoping Bill shows up, too

Plus, doesn't he not have Mjolnir anymore? His was destroyed, he got the one from the past, but Cap brought it back.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Plus, doesn't he not have Mjolnir anymore? His was destroyed, he got the one from the past, but Cap brought it back.

They've said that Jane gets a Mjolnir, though no word on which exactly.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
It’s likely to be explained somehow in Loki, since he’s from a timeline where Ragnarok hadn’t happened yet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lid posted:

My hope is that they bring in all the Avengers

All of them

I want MCU Jack of Hearts, Triathlon, Moon Dragon, D-Man, Swordsman...

Swordsman is supposed to show up in the Hawkeye show.

A little surprised D-Man never showed up on any of the Netflix shows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Marvel have put up a clip from tomorrow's episode, and it's a little spoilery. They're going full Modern Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAk32wCK18g

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

The_Doctor posted:

Marvel have put up a clip from tomorrow's episode, and it's a little spoilery. They're going full Modern Family

holy poo poo, the music over the SWORD guys running :vince:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lid posted:

Its Dexter and his log cabin is in the woods there. Scott Buck merging universes.

Just wait till Dee-Dee bursts through the door.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

My biggest shock in that trailer is thinking "those little shits have wireless Gamecube controllers!" I mean, I know I can buy something similar, but I'm still jealous of them. That aside, I didn't even think that moment in the mid-season trailer of Wanda going "It's probably just a case of the Mondays. Am I right?" would be something from an episode, and just figured it was the character inserting in to trailers for comic effect. Now I can't wait to see what else she says during those segments.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

personally I would prefer my video game controllers to not transform into uno cards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is that it might make sense that Wanda's own memories mash together decades of video games like that; from joysticks to the Playstation and Gamecube to Uno cards, and doesn't even remember wired controllers being a thing since she moved to the USA.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
my experience with acting has shown me time and time again that there are a lot of people who direct things who have just straight up never played a video game in their life

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Of course they made her bedset pattern hexes just to gently caress with us lol :allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Firebert posted:

Of course they made her bedset pattern hexes just to gently caress with us lol :allears:
For some reason I thought they were Cool S's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
the most widespread rumor I've seen about the last few episodes is that _________Nightmare___________ will be revealed as the real villain and that Agnes (Agatha?) is in some way in league with him (whether she's a servant of Nightmare, is being possessed by Nightmare, or is herself a human guise adopted by Nightmare isn't clear), so we'll see if that pans out

The_Doctor posted:

the juxtaposition of "wacky cutaway gag" music against what's happening on screen there is pretty great

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 18, 2021