Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
My dad was a worker. That's why business is personal to me and close to my heart. My dad had a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is he suggesting loving war bonds rather than just spending money? Solely because he is desperately trying to larp the second world war to win over the flagfuckers?

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1362359678760583173

I don't want to go back, that's why I'm pulling my policy ideas from the 1940's.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Starmer is either an op or deeply stupid.

People don't think they fought in WW2 so they can wistfully remember war bonds lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Is he suggesting loving war bonds rather than just spending money? Solely because he is desperately trying to larp the second world war to win over the flagfuckers?

I don't want to go back, that's why I'm pulling my policy ideas from the 1940's.

Yeah because we need to balance the books in the medium to long term. And if that's not bold exciting policy then I don't know what is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They evidently don't think they fought in WW2 so they can oppose fascism either tho, so why do they?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

He's basically throwing stuff that looks and smells like meat to the fash so that they still get riled up but then don't get anything, meanwhile the tories are feeding them actual meat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

They evidently don't think they fought in WW2 so they can oppose fascism either tho, so why do they?

The nazis were woke leftists

They genuinely think nazism was idpol gone mad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, isn't the entire goddamn point of war bonds that you are borrowing money?

That's why people buy them, because they get more out at the end, it is borrowing money from the private sector because you need it now to pay for the war and promise to pay it back later with interest. That is not any more "financially responsible" than any other kind of borrowing, and is arguably worse if you could conceivably get better rates from just being a goddamn government.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Aren't like 70% of government bonds bought by UK institutions (ie. using the population's savings) anyway?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

"The mistakes of Labour" ... "The Prime Minister is right"

jeez

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

peanut- posted:

Aren't like 70% of government bonds bought by UK institutions (ie. using the population's savings) anyway?

p-p-p-pensions

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

So that they can pretend that they did something for which the younger generations should be unquestioningly grateful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"some in the labour movement"

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1268990088668643329

Such as himself, six months ago.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oooff. Flailing hard on the "what would you spend the money raised by the bonds on" question.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

sebzilla posted:

Oooff. Flailing hard on the "what would you spend the money raised by the bonds on" question.
The whole thing was a flail. He's going to fall over hard when questioners are allowed to come back for a second bite rather than getting cut off like today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean governments borrow money to finance spending, that's fine. I'm just not really clear why this would be any better than raising more via the normal means.

Especially as UK 10-year gilt rates are like 0.5% and they would absolutely offer lower rates to non-institutional buyers so it's gonna pay back less than you could get from like.. a cash ISA.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How do you gently caress up on basic matters of fiscal multipliers?

Like pick one or two things that are both popular/nice sounding and have a good return on investment. loving sure start had a better sales pitch. gently caress me, "we will spend the money on hiring unemployed Northerners to dig holes and unemployed Midlanders to fill in the holes that got dug" is at least a plan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Imagine this man in an election debate.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

stev posted:

Imagine this man in an election debate.

my opponents 3¢ titanium tax doesn't go too far enough!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got insider knowledge on Welsh vaccinations?

I'm 60 so will get called up to a mass vaccination centre for the Pfizer jab.

To get there, my sister - 59 - will have to drive me*. It says on t'internet that she as an under 60 will have to go to the GP surgery and get Oxford jab. She is now in a panic over it (she suffers from panic attacks) because she believes Oxford vaccine is less effective than Pfizer vaccine but official guidance is you have no choice where to go.

Our plan is when I get my invite, I'll phone up the centre and say as my sister has to drive me there so can she get the Pfizer jab too while I'm there. Her husband (late 60s) got his last week but they said she couldn't have it - however they only asked on the day not in advance so were told that only the amount required for the day is taken out of refrigeration. They didn't say 'no way can you have it because you're not 60'.

Or is the Oxford vaccine as effective after 2nd dose as the Pfizer (to the best of anyone's knowledge!)

*apparently a local taxi service is offering taxi rides to the centre for £25 (not sure if that's one or two ways) - which would normally be £50 one way. I know some of my older neighbours who have no car transport have been told they can have it at GPs once it rolls out to the local GP.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 18, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/leicesterliz/status/1362364580991746051?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does changing your pronouns to they them make you trans?

Genuine question I wouldn't have thought of someone who just asks to be called that as trans
Are all NB people considered trans not cis?

This is kind of a complicated question, given that trans is a label that some enbies choose to use and some don't, but arguably...

Yes. Cis means 'the same as' - in this context, that the gender you identify as, is the same as the sex you were assigned at birth. Trans is the opposite, meaning you identify differently from the sex you were assigned as birth.

Since people aren't assigned non-binary at birth, non-binary people fall under the trans umbrella, and may choose to identify with that.

Or they might choose not to for a wide range of reasons, which is also fine.

Me, I'm still not entirely comfortable with calling myself trans. I'm non-binary, but I still identify more with my assigned birth sex than with any other - albeit, I no longer identify with it fully, completely, or all the time (and on reflection, never really did), and I'm drifting more and more to a neutral space as I examine the question more.

But trans isn't how I'd identify myself in the first instance if asked.

Changing your pronouns in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean you're non-binary, though. I know some cis people who are happy to go by they/them pronouns. They're not particularly common, though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got insider knowledge on Welsh vaccinations?

I'm 60 so will get called up to a mass vaccination centre for the Pfizer jab.

To get there, my sister - 59 - will have to drive me. It says on t'internet that she as an under 60 will have to go to the GP surgery and get Oxford jab. She is now in a panic over it (she suffers from panic attacks) because she believes Oxford vaccine is less effective than Pfizer vaccine but official guidance is you have no choice where to go.

Our plan is when I get my invite, I'll phone up the centre and say as my sister has to drive me there so can she get the Pfizer jab too while I'm there. Her husband (late 60s) got his last week but they said she couldn't have it - however they only asked on the day not in advance so were told that only the amount required for the day is taken out of refrigeration. They didn't say 'no way can you have it because you're not 60'.

Or is the Oxford vaccine as effective after 2nd dose as the Pfizer (to the best of anyone's knowledge!)

If either of you have any allergies be sure to tell them when making the appointment. My ma was booked in to get the pfizer one at the hospital vaccination centre and i took her there to get it. They asked her before the injection if she had any history of allergies and she told them that she had anaphylaxis about 10 years ago after some kind of insect bite in the garden. They brought in the doctor and she said because they weren't sure of the cause of the reaction they couldn't give her the pfizer one. She got the Oxford one at her GP's the other day. There was a lot of confusion - the GP manager thought they had Oxford at the hospital sites and should have given it to her but that was false andaldjfldk flkd f just nobody loving knows what they're really doing in this world lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
from what i've gathered anecdotally, side effects and that from pfizer are a lot more severe. i had it and i felt like a zombie for about a week and a half and i am a strapping 30-something. just incredible fatigue and brain fog. i am only really starting to feel normal again now. i had the strangest headaches too, like a stabbing pain right in the middle of my pate that would come out of nowhere and go away just as quickly as it started

the second dose effects are apparently a lot worse too but big picture it beats dying gargling death in ICU so w/e

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Debating actually telling the vaccine people about my oral mite anaphylaxis (AKA pancake syndrome, the most hilarious syndrome). I know with certainty that it is not going to lead to any cross-reactive anaphylaxis with the mRNA jabs, and in fact would be infinitesimally more likely with the AZ or other vaccines, but I could still see some clueless bastard shunting me off the mRNA vaccine list. Not that it would be the end of the world to get the AZ, but it's continuing to have less than impressive results in newer variants ( and I'd rather avoid having anything British-made in my bloodstream).

Bit of a moot point anyway, as a mid-30s non-immunocompromised sexhaver I'm way down the list. Unless I play up my moderate asthma, which would be borderline between legitimate and queue-jumping.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Debating actually telling the vaccine people about my oral mite anaphylaxis (AKA pancake syndrome, the most hilarious syndrome). I know with certainty that it is not going to lead to any cross-reactive anaphylaxis with the mRNA jabs, and in fact would be infinitesimally more likely with the AZ or other vaccines, but I could still see some clueless bastard shunting me off the mRNA vaccine list. Not that it would be the end of the world to get the AZ, but it's continuing to have less than impressive results in newer variants ( and I'd rather avoid having anything British-made in my bloodstream).

Bit of a moot point anyway, as a mid-30s non-immunocompromised sexhaver I'm way down the list. Unless I play up my moderate asthma, which would be borderline between legitimate and queue-jumping.

the simpsons episode where homer gets incredibly obese for disability benefits but instead to get a covid vaccine

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

This is kind of a complicated question, given that trans is a label that some enbies choose to use and some don't, but arguably...

Yes. Cis means 'the same as' - in this context, that the gender you identify as, is the same as the sex you were assigned at birth. Trans is the opposite, meaning you identify differently from the sex you were assigned as birth.

Since people aren't assigned non-binary at birth, non-binary people fall under the trans umbrella, and may choose to identify with that.

No disrespect to your personal perspective, which is more informed than mine, but I thought the point of NB was that you didn't identify as any gender? As such, then logically you would be neither cis nor trans because those things are also an aspect of the gender binary.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Big fan of the utter meaninglessness of this since ‘build back better’ already implies that you’re replacing something that exists (or used) to with something different and better

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

do it starmer: announce infrastructure week

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

the simpsons episode where homer gets incredibly obese for disability benefits but instead to get a covid vaccine

It's an idea - if I eat a bunch of pancakes I get both the obesity and the chance of death due to anaphylactic shock, win/win

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

No disrespect to your personal perspective, which is more informed than mine, but I thought the point of NB was that you didn't identify as any gender? As such, then logically you would be neither cis nor trans because those things are also an aspect of the gender binary.

I think that is agender whereas NB can also include people in the middle of the masc/fem spectrum.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jedit posted:

Trans can include “no gender at all” because they’ve transitioned away from whatever gender they were assigned.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Big fan of the utter meaninglessness of this since ‘build back better’ already implies that you’re replacing something that exists (or used) to with something different and better

As far as I can tell "BBB" originated in a UN report in the 00s, which then went through a political centipede of policy wonks>AOC/Green New Dealers>Biden>Boris>Starmer, apparently getting more diluted and meaningless at almost every step.

So it's classic Beef Parma, just parroting some poo poo he heard elsewhere that sounded good, signifying absolutely nothing

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i had it and i felt like a zombie for about a week and a half and i am a strapping 30-something.
This isn't meant as a pry into your medical history or anything, but I've seen on here (and amongst friends IRL) quite a few surprisingly young people (i.e. under 40) already getting vaccines — is it all people with immunity-compromising conditions or healthcare workers or something else? It's great that lots of people are getting vaccinated, I'm just really confused as to whether the government is still following their 1–9 priority list and whether my immuno-comprimised partner should be getting called in sooner rather than later.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

I know some cis people who are happy to go by they/them pronouns.
I'm fine if someone wants to use they/them pronouns for me, but then again I'm fine if someone wants to use Mx. on a form for me, because my hot take is that's half the idea of having a neutral, it's neither right nor wrong unless stated otherwise (the other half being NB or agender/neutral people who use those identifiers as a positive identifier rather than a lack of explicit identifier.)

People getting performatively outraged over the existence of a singular they makes even less sense than most of the pyrographic gender takes factory we've had over the last few years. Like if someone says "where's Guavanaut?" and someone else says "they're at the bar" then everyone gets what is meant, my gender isn't changed, and my chromosomes and or gonads don't magically turn into a Judith Butler anthology and scurry across the floor to start switching all the bathroom signs, it's just a less gendered way of using English.

crispix posted:

from what i've gathered anecdotally, side effects and that from pfizer are a lot more severe. i had it and i felt like a zombie for about a week and a half and i am a strapping 30-something. just incredible fatigue and brain fog. i am only really starting to feel normal again now. i had the strangest headaches too, like a stabbing pain right in the middle of my pate that would come out of nowhere and go away just as quickly as it started

the second dose effects are apparently a lot worse too but big picture it beats dying gargling death in ICU so w/e
I was fortunate and just had a sore arm for a couple of days and a bit of a sore throat/nose/ear tubes but nothing more, I guess it's variable, but I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I'm slightly more anxious about the second dose in April.

Failed Imagineer posted:

( and I'd rather avoid having anything British-made in my bloodstream).
If you get the Oxford vaccine your pronouns become tea/tan.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Does changing your pronouns to they them make you trans?

Genuine question I wouldn't have thought of someone who just asks to be called that as trans
Are all NB people considered trans not cis?

As Space Invader said not necessarily, however misgendering someone and then people not even involved acting pissy when it is pointed out is both transphobic, enbyphobic and just lovely.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm fine if someone wants to use they/them pronouns for me, but then again I'm fine if someone wants to use Mx. on a form for me, because my hot take is that's half the idea of having a neutral, it's neither right nor wrong unless stated otherwise (the other half being NB or agender/neutral people who use those identifiers as a positive identifier rather than a lack of explicit identifier.)

People getting performatively outraged over the existence of a singular they makes even less sense than most of the pyrographic gender takes factory we've had over the last few years. Like if someone says "where's Guavanaut?" and someone else says "they're at the bar" then everyone gets what is meant, my gender isn't changed, and my chromosomes and or gonads don't magically turn into a Judith Butler anthology and scurry across the floor to start switching all the bathroom signs, it's just a less gendered way of using English.

eh, as someoine who uses They singular a lot anyway i do get it. people don't like learning new things and react with frustration, especially if they're told they're a bad person for not learning it.
a lot of older people probably wrapped their heads around trans v cis, which is actually very simple coz its often based around clearly presenting as your correct gender then give up once non-binary, genderfluid, genderqueer, agender get introduced coz tbh it is very confusing if you havent been following along and even the community doesnt seem fully agreed on a lot of the distinctions

using They on someone does take some getting used to because for me it feels rude and impersonal, apparently i've got "who's they? the cats mother?" buried in my brain somewhere. it used to be something i use when i don't have enough info about someone, rather than something i use with people i'm familiar with

ultimately though it just comes down to not being an rear end in a top hat and treating people the way they would like to be treated

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

As Space Invader said not necessarily, however misgendering someone and then people not even involved acting pissy when it is pointed out is both transphobic, enbyphobic and just lovely.

Like I said, I apologise for sticking my nose in.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

Though also using gender neutral for someone regularly when you know they don't identity as gender neutral or with those terms is also misgendering them, for example I'm in a running battle with my GP for them to stop using Mx for me which in my case is just as wrong as Mr but they keep not changing it to Ms even though they say they are going to.

Guavanaut posted:

I was fortunate and just had a sore arm for a couple of days and a bit of a sore throat/nose/ear tubes but nothing more, I guess it's variable, but I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I'm slightly more anxious about the second dose in April.

I had the Oxford vaccine a couple of weeks back nearly and I felt awful for the next couple of days, and the sore arm has only just gone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Starmer is either an op or deeply stupid.

People don't think they fought in WW2 so they can wistfully remember war bonds lol

He's an op, op