Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is Mx a gender neutral (which I guess as the poster above said, isn't actually neutral) version of Mr or Ms?
I haven't run into that, that's interesting.

Really what we could do with is a unified Ms/Mrs where you don't get people mad for not knowing if theyr married or not

E in '97 the greatest election victory ever was won and the UK and Labour lived happily ever after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheRat posted:

He's an op, op

he can be both

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

This isn't meant as a pry into your medical history or anything, but I've seen on here (and amongst friends IRL) quite a few surprisingly young people (i.e. under 40) already getting vaccines — is it all people with immunity-compromising conditions or healthcare workers or something else? It's great that lots of people are getting vaccinated, I'm just really confused as to whether the government is still following their 1–9 priority list and whether my immuno-comprimised partner should be getting called in sooner rather than later.

i work in hospitals, yeah

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Really what we could do with is a unified Ms/Mrs where you don't get people mad for not knowing if theyr married or not

I think "Ms" is the unified version of Miss/Mrs intended to avoid assumptions about married status.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I feel bad for French and German speaking NB people, having read about their problems with pronouns. French doesn't have gender-neutral 3rd person plural pronouns - "they" is either elles ("shes") for a group of women, or ils ("hes") for a group containing at least one man (making it the de facto gender neutral option, which of course it's not).

German does have a gender neutral 3rd person plural pronoun (sie), but it's identical to the female singular, with only the verb changing. And to add another layer, the Sie + plural form (note capital S) is used for single people already, but as a polite second person (you) form. So that's no help.

So I think they need neopronouns, which is the next level up of gammon-fighting.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm still a little disbelieving that Starmer invoked the post war spirit in rhetoric and proposed a new consumer bond and small business loan scheme in policy.

Johnson does well covering for no policy with bombastic claims because he's passionate about those claims and has a history of doing stupid things with flags, Starmers got no history worth bringing up and is trying to act dignified while saying dying from the virus in large enough numbers is like successfully fighting off Nazi Germany.

May is going to be a total wipe out for Labour at this rate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For any of my fellow scroungers on universal credit JSA, I've been waiting for over 50 minutes for my phone call today. Is that normal? Should I report my coach as dead?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1362107043847503872?s=20
https://twitter.com/344_ad/status/1362364769165070337?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is Mx a gender neutral (which I guess as the poster above said, isn't actually neutral) version of Mr or Ms?

Then do I have the imported language feature for you, Communist Thoughts-san.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

What is the bond idea? What do you get if you buy a bond

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A skillswallet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

It is neutral, and also used by people who don't want to signify their gender in a particular instance (like is it relevant to signing up for promotional tea bags?) but keeping using it if someone has asked you not to isn't neutral (most things aren't in such a case).

Necrothatcher posted:

I think "Ms" is the unified version of Miss/Mrs intended to avoid assumptions about married status.
Yeah it was supposed to be, but apparently a lot of people think that it signifies divorced now, apparently enough that other people don't want to use it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Entirely appropriate given that the YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR advert used the music outside the terms of its licensing agreement.

A bond is where the government says "if you give us X amount of money we will give you X amount of money back in Y amount of years plus Z amount extra.

It is literally just the government taking out loans. Except they set the terms of the loan. So it's like if the bank came to you and said "can you lend us some money on these terms please"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 18, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You get a government bond with similar interest rates as other government bonds and a letter with a flag printed on it to say thank you for believing in Britain.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Yeah because we need to balance the books in the medium to long term. And if that's not bold exciting policy then I don't know what is.

Treasury bonds and premium bonds already exist. "Thing that already exists but with a Union Jack hastily printed on it" definitely sounds like a Starmer policy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The gov doesn't need me to buy a bond for them to print more money to do stuff.
So it kinda seems like this is just a way of draining people's savings but not on anything productive.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Keir Starmers Labour Party presents: Bringing Sexy Back

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The gov doesn't need me to buy a bond for them to print more money to do stuff.
So it kinda seems like this is just a way of draining people's savings but not on anything productive.

No it doesn't, especially when it can already borrow money from all sorts of other places. It makes a bit of sense in a war, sometimes, in that other places might be less willing to lend you money on the basis that you might be at war with them and might also cease to exist as a country if you lose and not pay them back, and you might not be able to print enough money to make the war go without doing an inflation, but outside of that yes the government can just print money or borrow it, it is an entirely useless policy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bringing Sexy Back for up to 5 years on a 0.5% interest return basis.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Looke posted:

Keir Starmers Labour Party presents: Bringing Sexy Back

Hardcore bond(age) programme

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

MikeCrotch posted:

I think it's also worth remembering that the press considered Corbyn a joke in 2017 and only went full bore in 2019 which soured a lot of people.

Also people say Theresa May ran a terrible campaign but she also killed UKIP completely and got over 40% of the vote. UKIP and the Lib Dems were the real losers in that election.

This part isn't true. I remember clearly when Cameron was PM them dishing out all the Hamas/IRA he's a terrorist sympathiser who hates Britain stuff. We had the chicken coup etc. Saying Corbyn had it easy pre-2017 and that's why he didn't get bodied in that election is pure revisionism.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The use of 'Mrs' varies around the world. The German version 'frau' is used both for married women and women over 'a certain age' (something like 30) regardless of marital status. Being 'Dr' sidesteps the whole thing.

Before I was Dr and back in the mists of time (Tooting Popular Front etc) my dad used to shout 'tovarich' loudly in the street if he saw me and write letters to me at uni addressed to 'tovarich Jaeluni'. товарищ = comrade

I was surprised to discover in the last few years that some members of the Labour party do not like being referred to as 'comrade' or 'comrades'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It is neutral, and also used by people who don't want to signify their gender in a particular instance (like is it relevant to signing up for promotional tea bags?)

I would argue yes in this example - my favourite tea comes in a pink box and is called "Womankind". Therefore if I didn't indicate that I am a man who enjoys the stupid gendered tea, how would they know how stupid they are?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it was supposed to be, but apparently a lot of people think that it signifies divorced now, apparently enough that other people don't want to use it.

This is also stupid, and these people should not be catered to

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

. Being 'Dr' sidesteps the whole thing.

Amusingly not in my experience, since I've gotten mail from German biotech companies before with "Herr Doktor" on it, so I assume "Frau Doktor" is also a thing that's used. Although I can't imagine"Fraulein Doktor" gets much use

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You wouldn't download a baby shower

it'd just be a bit poo poo, frankly

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was surprised to discover in the last few years that some members of the Labour party do not like being referred to as 'comrade' or 'comrades'.
sounds like an easy way to determine who is not, in fact, a comrade, anyway

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

sounds like an easy way to determine who is not, in fact, a comrade, anyway

Comxade

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

what is a tory marxist. just saw someone self-ID as such on twitter but the post is gone now. i suppose you could accept the marxist conception of history is true but identify as a tory? technically, to some degree. idk. i guess christopher hitchens could be a tory marxist.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

im not in labour but i guess i can see how some people would feel a bit embarrassed by it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

what is a tory marxist. just saw someone self-ID as such on twitter but the post is gone now. i suppose you could accept the marxist conception of history is true but identify as a tory? technically, to some degree. idk. i guess christopher hitchens could be a tory marxist.

"Capital is an accurate description of how the economy works, and I want to make sure I am in control of it"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/nfergus/status/1051963131239358465?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Someone put a Starmer head on all those Gordy Relaunches cartoon from Steve Bell, I'm too lazy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

what is a tory marxist.
"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks. This is good and better than working."

Reminds me of whoever it was that pointed out that one of the reasons that business studies got split from economics is to keep all of the delicious Marxism (that works well if you're running a business) away from the economists who must learn Chicago-style deep pan deregulation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Universal credit update: my paper record of the meetings was more accurate than the DWPs so when I messaged them they were like "oh yeah the system had you down for 3 hours later."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

"Capital is an accurate description of how the economy works, and I want to make sure I am in control of it"

this is extremely common fwiw. marxism as analysis can be entirely separated from the moral implication marx and many others tried to infuse it with - something like the labour theory of value is extremely self evidently true. there used to be a running gag at either the treasury department or the federal reserve in the states that you could walk into a planning meeting and hear the same arguments you would in a student marxist society, but from the other side.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-56111209

quote:

A man in his 30s with no underlying health conditions was offered a Covid vaccine after an NHS error mistakenly listed him as just 6.2cm in height.

Liam Thorp was told he qualified for the jab because his measurements gave him a body mass index of 28,000.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

that feels right...i imagine quite a lot of tories say that thing about agreeing with marx's diagnosis but not his suggested treatment.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So basically, Labour's membership have deserted en masse and this is Starmer offering all three holes to business.
[edit]So that they can continue to pay the worthless shits at head office

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 18, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

kingturnip posted:

So basically, Labour's membership have deserted en masse and this is Starmer offering all three holes to business.

Boris Johnson: "gently caress business"

Kieth Starmer: "gently caress me, business :a2m:"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sounds like the thing where the FT is on planet reality because if you actually cling to right-wing economics the money goes down.

Guavanaut posted:

Chicago-style deep pan deregulation.

That's deep dish :science: and it's delicious and calorific and I'm only allowed to make it occasionally.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

No disrespect to your personal perspective, which is more informed than mine, but I thought the point of NB was that you didn't identify as any gender? As such, then logically you would be neither cis nor trans because those things are also an aspect of the gender binary.

Non binariness is many things, and covers a wide range of genders and absences thereof. In some cases it can mean not experiencing gender at all (which some would call being agender) l in some cases it can be being one gender some days, and a different one other days (genderfluidity), in some cases it can being one gender... mostly, but not completely (nonbinary man/nonbinary woman, demigender)... there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio. For some people enby is a gender all its own. For some non-binary is a supercategory. For some it's a spectrum. None of them are wrong.

Not to mention, for me personally, i'm still exploring a lot of this, and the more I do, the further I feel like I'm drifting from my assigned sex. So, non-binary man still feels like it fits for now, but in a year? I might have developed my understanding of myself further, and that might change.

E in '97 the greatest election victory ever was won and the UK and Labour lived happily ever after

Mx is in theory a gender neural version, but as Rumda notes, gender neutral things can be used to hurt people even when they're designed to help, if those people don't want to be gender neutral.

Personally I wish we could have a gender neutral honorific. Or stop bothering with them at all. Being called 'Mr Invader' doesn't bother me, but being called 'sir' puts just a little hitch in my day sometimes that it didn't used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Probably accurate measurements for some goons