Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just updated from a pixel 2xl to a 5 and it's surprising how different it is. Things have gotten a lot tighter in the last few years. Kinda weird with no home or back buttons but the gestures are surprisingly intuitive. Screen is amazing. It's weird to describe but it's more like a magical surface than it is a screenlike projection behind glass, if that makes sense? And it's bigger than the xl was, but a smaller phone. I'm going to get a case ASAP because it feels very delicate. Camera seems great too but that might be because of how nice the screen is.

A great update, and I'm glad I stuck with google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean it was predictable with how I'm so much about the high refresh when it comes to my computers and TV but I never thought it would matter that much on the phone. Thought I could go back from 120hz and break down and get a pixel 4a but looking at gfs phone now is like watching a slideshow.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So I am somehow still on a Pixel XL, and figure I need to start looking into a replacement eventually.
I'm mostly considering a Pixel 4a, 4a5G, or 5, as I'd like to stick with the Pixel line if possible.
I'm leaning 4a5G currently because of the larger battery compared to the 4a and having a headphone jack unlike the 5. Given I'm still on an original XL, I obviously don't have high usage demands or do much gaming. I noticed all my options seem to have a smaller actual pixel count on the screens, but I assume I'll be able to manage the drop.

Is there anything obviously crazy with this plan? Any known issues with the 4a5G or common problems? Does the extra battery help it last longer than the 4a assuming you turn off the 5G?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ElegantFugue posted:

So I am somehow still on a Pixel XL, and figure I need to start looking into a replacement eventually.
I'm mostly considering a Pixel 4a, 4a5G, or 5, as I'd like to stick with the Pixel line if possible.
I'm leaning 4a5G currently because of the larger battery compared to the 4a and having a headphone jack unlike the 5. Given I'm still on an original XL, I obviously don't have high usage demands or do much gaming. I noticed all my options seem to have a smaller actual pixel count on the screens, but I assume I'll be able to manage the drop.

Is there anything obviously crazy with this plan? Any known issues with the 4a5G or common problems? Does the extra battery help it last longer than the 4a assuming you turn off the 5G?

The battery of any of the modern pixels is going to blow your phone out of the water. I use my 4a 5g pretty lightly, and on WiFi, but I easily get 2 days out of a charge. Obviously once I start leaving the house again, that may change, but the battery is good. I think you'll be happy with the 4a5g. The 5's 90hz screen is a real upgrade from what I've heard, but if you're not used to it like I wasn't, we don't know what we're missing. Having a headphone jack is really nice though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The 5 display is also just really good, no black crush and really accurate etc. Unless headphone jack is a deal breaker, probably go for whichever you can find a deal on, as the 5 has some nice perks over the 4a 5G (display, battery, waterproofing, wireless charging).

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I caved and bought the S21 Ultra. I've been rocking a Pixel 3 for a couple of years, which has been pretty good, but I figured I'd finally bite the bullet and get a Big Phone. It's nice to get a phone that doesn't feel like a gimped version just because it's smaller - even the Pixel 3 / 3XL which were fairly close spec-wise had differences in screens and bezels.

Going from one camera on the back to 4? 5? is going to be weird, I'm sure, and this is the first time I've had anything that isn't stock android (or CyanogenMod back in the Android 1.5 days) so that should be interesting.

Hopefully, my tiny baby hands can operate it properly.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

So I caved and bought the S21 Ultra. I've been rocking a Pixel 3 for a couple of years, which has been pretty good, but I figured I'd finally bite the bullet and get a Big Phone.

Meanwhile, I'm over here with my S10+, considering a regular S21 just so I can have a smaller phone again.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

disaster pastor posted:

Meanwhile, I'm over here with my S10+, considering a regular S21 just so I can have a smaller phone again.

I went from a Note 10 (I think) to a Pixel 4 for that reason and I've been super happy with it.

So nice to have a phone that is normal sized again.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Phsh. You people with your "normal size hands".

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I’m looking to upgrade my Galaxy S8 (Ironically enough, the SA forums are one of the reasons I need to upgrade. The OLED screen on my phone has burn in from too much browsing D&D)

The two options I’m looking at are the Galaxy S20 FE and the S21.

The S20 would be about €150 plus contract to get, while the S 21 would be €499. The other advantage is I’d get a pair of the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live with the 21 if I get it within the next week. I have a pair of Galaxy Buds Plus I got during the summer and I really like those.

Money is tight enough that I’m leaning towards the €150 FE, unless people can tell me that the S21 blows it out of the water, or the Headphones are a major deal.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Phsh. You people with your "normal size hands".

It was for the pocket space, how dare you insult my larger than average hands

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Buds Live are the middle child between the Buds+ and Buds Pro and the fit is very polarizing since they are open ear.

With that price difference, go with the FE. The only thing the S21 gives you is the SD888 over the SD865 and that's simply not enough of an upgrade to justify the extra $349. Cameras, screen, and even materials are the same. It's just styling differences and processor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
still getting great battery life on my 5

also i got my pixel buds out today. they were last used on january 13 and both buds were at 100% and the case was at 89%

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

The Buds Live are the middle child between the Buds+ and Buds Pro and the fit is very polarizing since they are open ear.

With that price difference, go with the FE. The only thing the S21 gives you is the SD888 over the SD865 and that's simply not enough of an upgrade to justify the extra $349. Cameras, screen, and even materials are the same. It's just styling differences and processor.

His prices are in Euros so it would be Exynos and I'd say even for normies the battery improvement from the 2100 is worth considering. But the 20 FE is an amazing mid ranger.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

His prices are in Euros so it would be Exynos and I'd say even for normies the battery improvement from the 2100 is worth considering. But the 20 FE is an amazing mid ranger.

Yes it is in Euros (I'm in Ireland) and I know that the chipset shenanigans are different to the US versions of the phone.

From doing some more reading on it, the differences are notable but probably not enough to consider dropping the extra 350 on it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/googles-older-pixel-cameras-are-failing-at-an-accelerating-rate/

I don't recall anyone here having these issues, and it's probably not widespread. But if your Pixel camera stopped working, this might be why.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Question IRL posted:

Yes it is in Euros (I'm in Ireland) and I know that the chipset shenanigans are different to the US versions of the phone.

From doing some more reading on it, the differences are notable but probably not enough to consider dropping the extra 350 on it.

Probably not, yeah. I've had every S line big phone since the s10+ and despite the constant nerd rage online about Exynos they all run fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FistEnergy posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/googles-older-pixel-cameras-are-failing-at-an-accelerating-rate/

I don't recall anyone here having these issues, and it's probably not widespread. But if your Pixel camera stopped working, this might be why.

Huh. I've been having a (occasional) weird issue on my Pixel 2 where I would zoom in, take a photo, and it would save the unzoomed image. Wonder if that's related.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Gmail has again quit notifying me of new emails. If I open the app, they're there. What the hell is going on with this dumb program and how can I fix it?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

hooah posted:

Gmail has again quit notifying me of new emails. If I open the app, they're there. What the hell is going on with this dumb program and how can I fix it?

Try turning off battery optimization on the GMail app? I seem to remember that helped me out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Try turning off battery optimization on the GMail app? I seem to remember that helped me out.

This.or maybe it’s just gmail being a thing and not working and it will fix itself. Who knows?!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, I thought that setting would be attached to my Google account, but when I reset my phone that setting reset too. Toggled that, so I'll see how it goes for a few days.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Uthor posted:

Huh. I've been having a (occasional) weird issue on my Pixel 2 where I would zoom in, take a photo, and it would save the unzoomed image. Wonder if that's related.

this has happened to me on a pixel 2xl multiple times as well

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

boz posted:

I went from a Note 10 (I think) to a Pixel 4 for that reason and I've been super happy with it.

So nice to have a phone that is normal sized again.

I found my original Galaxy S the other day and it is just the perfect size.

I rocked that bad boy as a mp3 player for so long after it passed it's use by date.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Ah, I thought that setting would be attached to my Google account, but when I reset my phone that setting reset too. Toggled that, so I'll see how it goes for a few days.

Lol nope, still not working correctly. I had this happen before resetting too. loving Google.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It's also possible Gmail has decided to notify you only of important emails.

It decides what emails are important. You can influence it, but if your notifications get set to important only, you'll never have full control.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My Gmail push notifications have stopped working a few times now with no changes on my end. I know it's not an 'important emails only' thing because the widget I have stopped updating too unless I manually open the app to pull updates.

I've largely given up because Google apparently doesn't give a poo poo. :shrug:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Probably not, yeah. I've had every S line big phone since the s10+ and despite the constant nerd rage online about Exynos they all run fine.

I'm also kind of glad there's a viable alternative to Qualcomm.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

My Gmail push notifications have stopped working a few times now with no changes on my end. I know it's not an 'important emails only' thing because the widget I have stopped updating too unless I manually open the app to pull updates.

I've largely given up because Google apparently doesn't give a poo poo. :shrug:

It sucks. I run a small business from my phone, and it's super convenient when Gmail just decides to ignore new messages for a few hours. All of a sudden, I'll get a notification, check it, and there's 25 new messages. Thanks Google. I've contacted my GApps Pro "Account Manager" and they've basically said "Yeah, it's a known issue, and it happens. Clear data on the GMail app, and see if that helps"... :sigh:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

bull3964 posted:

And.....I think I agree with them. This has been, without a doubt, the most cohesive Samsung product I've owned. A lot of that is down to One UI 3.1 which cleans up some stuff and FINALLY allows you to use google feed. Home Up changes the folders to popup as well instead of the full screen top justified they are as default.

My wife had linked me to the Samsung M31 phone, which she found on Amazon just by looking for a $250 pricetag. It looks like the M31 is a cheaper phone that can support One UI 3.1 too. What is your all's impression of it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084XP4LXB/

Again I don't need a phone to be great at anything besides typing, as long as the UI isn't missing stuff.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I had to watch the NASA landing stream on mobile data for a while, and now Android bugs me every day with a warning about Twitch having used a high amount of mobile data. How do I make it shut up about that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sharkytm posted:

It sucks. I run a small business from my phone, and it's super convenient when Gmail just decides to ignore new messages for a few hours. All of a sudden, I'll get a notification, check it, and there's 25 new messages. Thanks Google. I've contacted my GApps Pro "Account Manager" and they've basically said "Yeah, it's a known issue, and it happens. Clear data on the GMail app, and see if that helps"... :sigh:

It doesn't seem like Google cares any more about you even if you pay.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

Turn off powersaving on all your apps.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whoever suggested SwiftKey, gently caress you. I shoulda left this post uncorrected to show what a piece of poo poo this app is. Holy gently caress. Miss Cleo could predict better

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

Whoever suggested SwiftKey, gently caress you. I shoulda left this post uncorrected to show what a piece of poo poo this app is. Holy gently caress. Miss Cleo could predict better

Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

codo27 posted:

That's amazing. It was recommended to solve all those annoyances I had. If even the current popular app can't get it right, then why can't anyone seem to

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

codo27 posted:

Maybe the problem is you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, SwiftKey has worked fine for me for years. FWIW I do touch typing, rather than swiping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

Turn off powersaving on all your apps.

Battery optimization is off for all GApps. Hasn't helped.