Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hahaha, loving screaming space red pill poo poo at kaidan until his tiny mind snaps.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Soylent Pudding posted:

The asari hosed everything up majorly. The Protheans covertly slingshot Asari development and leave behind even more resources to jumpstart their development. It works and the Asari end up the most advanced race in the galaxy, and then they just stagnate. By the end of their cycle the Protheans built a working mass relay that works well enough to slingshot a Mako halfway across the galaxy 50,000 years later. Meanwhile Liara's dad gets laughed out for suggesting the Asari figure out how to forge their own relays. Their head start was squandered.

Though there was the whole creepy Protheans apparently treating them the way Star Trek fans treat Thailand thing. I've always wondered how much of the Asari proclivity for interspecies reproduction is a result of a different kind of Prothean grooming.

There's an Asari matriarch bartender in ME2 who - if you ask her why a matriarch is slumming it in some Terminus systems bar - will tell you that she pointed out to the other matriarchs hey maybe we should actually do something with this incredible technological edge we have, even maybe try their hand at building their own mass relays, and she got laughed off Thessia for it. Also she rules because her dad was Krogan and she takes after him as much if not more so than her mother.

One of the legit best parts of ME3 is bringing Javik and Liara with you to Thessia, because goddamn does Javik just lay in to how hard the Asari done hosed up.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

She literally is a space marine though?

edit : wait I completely forgot the opening of ME 1. You’re right she’s space army, Shepard and Kaiden are space marines.

No Ash is definitely a marine. Shepard and Kaidan are more like navy seals. Her rank is Gunnery Sergeant in ME1, in ME3 she explicitly refers to herself as a Marine.

Incidentally this is why I think that her being promoted to LCdr by ME3 while Kaidan gets promoted to Major makes no sense. Kaidan would become LCdr and since Ash is enlisted she would a Sergeant Major, or if she'd become an officer she might have made Captain by then.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Yeah that’s Liara’s dad that’s who soylent pudding was talking about lol

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Though there was the whole creepy Protheans apparently treating them the way Star Trek fans treat Thailand thing. I've always wondered how much of the Asari proclivity for interspecies reproduction is a result of a different kind of Prothean grooming.

I’m sure I’ll regret asking but what’s up with Star Trek fans and Thailand?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

A talking coyote posted:

Yeah that’s Liara’s dad that’s who soylent pudding was talking about lol

Oh poo poo, really? I either completely missed or completely forgot that. :downs:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

denimgorilla posted:

I’m sure I’ll regret asking but what’s up with Star Trek fans and Thailand?

pedophilia

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Oh poo poo, really? I either completely missed or completely forgot that. :downs:

They kind of hide it really well, at least in ME2.

You can see Aethyta looking forlornly at a picture of Liara in the video dossiers at the end of Lair of the Shadow Broker. Everyone went nuts because that basically confirmed she was Liara's father. Then in ME3 on one of your stops at the Citadel you find her tending bar there and you can talk to Liara and nudge her into reconnecting with her and you find out that she was shadowing Liara since at least the start of ME2 because Liara was becoming so powerful politically that the matriarchs on Thessia were legit worried she'd do something to disrupt their power, doubly so when she became the Shadow Broker. So Aethyta stepped up to try and keep her safe from the shadows so the matriarchs didn't send out a hitsquad and kill her.

At which point Liara was like "yeah, I know, you were like super unsubtle about all of it." It's just annoying because to get the full dialog you have to run around the plaza like 8 times to trigger everything.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shepard tells Liara that her father is literally twenty feet behind her.

Liara already knows because Shadow Broker.

Shepard's response is literally "I can never do anything nice for you, can I?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Shepard tells Liara that her father is literally twenty feet behind her.

Liara already knows because Shadow Broker.

Shepard's response is literally "I can never do anything nice for you, can I?"

I love how, especially with FemShep, Mass Effect 3 just treats unromanced Liara like she's your girlfriend anyway :allears:

Liara and FemShep are really great besties and it is just pure joy.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how, especially with FemShep, Mass Effect 3 just treats unromanced Liara like she's your girlfriend anyway :allears:

Liara and FemShep are really great besties and it is just pure joy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Speaking of Asari technology, was anyone else disappointed in ME1 that saving the Destiny Ascension doesn't cause it to help you fight sovereign? I'm my first playthrough I chose to save it because maybe the most powerful dreadnought main cannon in the galaxy would be useful but nope it just fucks off and leaves the alliance to still clean up the mess. My first playthrough saving it I expected to see it zapping sovereign with a wave motion gun or whatever.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Soylent Pudding posted:

Speaking of Asari technology, was anyone else disappointed in ME1 that saving the Destiny Ascension doesn't cause it to help you fight sovereign? I'm my first playthrough I chose to save it because maybe the most powerful dreadnought main cannon in the galaxy would be useful but nope it just fucks off and leaves the alliance to still clean up the mess.

That's aliens for you. Should have wiped them out when you had the chance, thanks SJW.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Soylent Pudding posted:

Speaking of Asari technology, was anyone else disappointed in ME1 that saving the Destiny Ascension doesn't cause it to help you fight sovereign? I'm my first playthrough I chose to save it because maybe the most powerful dreadnought main cannon in the galaxy would be useful but nope it just fucks off and leaves the alliance to still clean up the mess. My first playthrough saving it I expected to see it zapping sovereign with a wave motion gun or whatever.

Yes and no. They were using it as an armed transport for the council and dignitaries. It made sense to get them away from the battle (try to) in a ship that could defend itself if necessary. From that point of view, I’m fine with it.

However, I would love to have seen that shop again in ME3 tearing some poo poo up, just so we could have both sides of the spectrum.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Isn’t it a war asset in ME3 if you save it in ME1?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yeah but a line if text is a very unsatisfying reward.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sydin posted:

There's an Asari matriarch bartender in ME2 who - if you ask her why a matriarch is slumming it in some Terminus systems bar - will tell you that she pointed out to the other matriarchs hey maybe we should actually do something with this incredible technological edge we have, even maybe try their hand at building their own mass relays, and she got laughed off Thessia for it. Also she rules because her dad was Krogan and she takes after him as much if not more so than her mother.

Fun Fact! That Asari bartender has more and varied faces then all the Asari in ME:A.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

BexGu posted:

Fun Fact! That Asari bartender has more and varied faces then all the Asari in ME:A.

The Asari look off in MEA.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The fact that the asari all have the exact same face structure makes it incredibly hard to tell them apart.

Moreso than the Turians or Salarians even.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

Isn’t it a war asset in ME3 if you save it in ME1?

If you save the Destiny Ascension it's the first allied ship to come through the relay to Earth for the final battle, which was solid payoff when I played it

...but I think it's just replaced by an Asari dreadnought which is a 90% identical ship model if you don't save it. Sucks for all those human supremacists out there who let the council die I guess!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's honestly the best joke of the series.

But even as far back as ME1, Ashley has a point. The history of the Citadel species is rife with that 'throw the dog to the bear' logic she talks about and Avina flat out calls the species that are not on the Council 'lesser.' Ashley's biggest crime is being a 'serious' sci-fi soldier in a story that doesn't really fit her.

She's an interesting character. A really good example of a RPG character who feels like they had a life before they ended up in the protagonist's sphere of influence. Unfortunately, Bioware listened to the people who said 'racist racist racist' until they passed out because of that bugged (lol) line about the Keepers and stopped creating characters who were anything but Best Friends 4eva.

That is a really great way to put it. A character with actual depth and background and idiots just repeat the same thing over and over again while completely missing the point that writer was trying to go for.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seemlar posted:

If you save the Destiny Ascension it's the first allied ship to come through the relay to Earth for the final battle, which was solid payoff when I played it

...but I think it's just replaced by an Asari dreadnought which is a 90% identical ship model if you don't save it. Sucks for all those human supremacists out there who let the council die I guess!

It’s got an extra large wing on top and gets a big dramatic “handheld” zoom in as it moves by the camera but that’s about it. The standard replacement even gets the same dramatic zoom as if you’re supposed to know what it is.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's honestly the best joke of the series.

But even as far back as ME1, Ashley has a point. The history of the Citadel species is rife with that 'throw the dog to the bear' logic she talks about and Avina flat out calls the species that are not on the Council 'lesser.' Ashley's biggest crime is being a 'serious' sci-fi soldier in a story that doesn't really fit her.

She's an interesting character. A really good example of a RPG character who feels like they had a life before they ended up in the protagonist's sphere of influence. Unfortunately, Bioware listened to the people who said 'racist racist racist' until they passed out because of that bugged (lol) line about the Keepers and stopped creating characters who were anything but Best Friends 4eva.

It’s true. The political tension in ME1 comes from the “client” races, which I think are explicitly referred to as such, being mad that humanity is the new girl in school just walking up to the queen bees and being accepted.

Don’t blame humanity for not digging the status quo, yo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

It’s true. The political tension in ME1 comes from the “client” races, which I think are explicitly referred to as such, being mad that humanity is the new girl in school just walking up to the queen bees and being accepted.

Don’t blame humanity for not digging the status quo, yo.

It’s more like humanity walked up to one of the queen bees, got told off, then punched them in the face.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The volus are completely correct that it's dumb as poo poo that they don't have a Council seat when the loving salaraians do.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Funky Valentine posted:

The volus are completely correct that it's dumb as poo poo that they don't have a Council seat when the loving salaraians do.

:hai:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Funky Valentine posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Maybe they should deliver on their loving bomber fleet then.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Elcor should be running everything

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Julius CSAR posted:

The Elcor should be running everything

"With condescending contempt: Ah yes. 'Reapers'. With condescension beyond mortal ken: We have dismissed those claims."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

VostokProgram posted:

No Ash is definitely a marine. Shepard and Kaidan are more like navy seals. Her rank is Gunnery Sergeant in ME1, in ME3 she explicitly refers to herself as a Marine.

Incidentally this is why I think that her being promoted to LCdr by ME3 while Kaidan gets promoted to Major makes no sense. Kaidan would become LCdr and since Ash is enlisted she would a Sergeant Major, or if she'd become an officer she might have made Captain by then.
It doesn't make sense because ME doesn't use actual Marine/Navy ranks correctly. Kaidan technically outranks Shep once he gets promoted. I guess BW wanted to be ~*unique*~ with them.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

"With condescending contempt: Ah yes. 'Reapers'. With condescension beyond mortal ken: We have dismissed those claims."

Sadly, when the Elcor representative reared back to air-quote :turianass:Reapers:turianass: he fell over and died.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The earth shakes when Elcor do finger quotes.

TheCenturion posted:

Sadly, when the Elcor representative reared back to air-quote :turianass:Reapers:turianass: he fell over and died.

See I was thinking they’d have to stand all the way up to do it properly and then crash back down on their front legs but that works too.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wish I could play mass effect for the first time every time. ME1 had so much cool world building, doubly so if you obsessively read the codex.

Anyone know if there is a good sci fi tabletop rpg system that can be adapted to run in the ME setting?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

It doesn't make sense because ME doesn't use actual Marine/Navy ranks correctly. Kaidan technically outranks Shep once he gets promoted. I guess BW wanted to be ~*unique*~ with them.

Weird merged Navy/Army ranks aren't new to military scifi. I blame BSG for ME.

This is from a ME1 codex:

quote:

ENLISTED

Serviceman 3rd Class / Private 2nd Class
Serviceman 2nd Class / Private 1st Class
Serviceman 1st Class / Corporal
NCOs

Service Chief
Gunnery Chief
Operations Chief
OFFICERS

2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Staff Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Staff Commander
Captain / Major
Rear Admiral / General
Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Amusingly there isn't actually a "Commander" rank. I think Lt Cdr is mentioned in ME1? If they continued writing deep lore entries there'd probably some paperwork somewhere formally saying that Shepard is seconded to the council and has an acting rank of at least captain but will be hosed over on her pension at retirement time :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a joke during Tali's loyalty mission that Shepard isn't even a captain.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I still laugh at the very subtle yet incredibly juvenile joke with Quarian naming conventions and the respected ships "Defrenes" and "Iktomy".

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Shepard was also dead for two years, so technically they're no longer a Lt Cdr either

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Shepard was also dead for two years, so technically they're no longer a Lt Cdr either

One of the first emails you get in ME2 is a letter of reinstatement though. And I think Shepard is a Staff Commander, isn't he? That would put him a rank ahead of both Kaiden and Ashley even after they get promoted. He was XO to Captain Andeson, which makes him the equivalent of a Lt.Col at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^ kaidan is an O6 in ME3 according to the ME1 codex

SgtSteel91 posted:

She was enough of one to be court martialed. Clearly not active service though of course...