Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
FWIW I’ve been playing with some friends on a server and the farming grind has been a lot easier but doesn’t go away altogether and I don’t mind the building part. Having said that, sailing around on a boat exploring and fighting is good times and pretty much all my brother does and it has a death grip on his spare time at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Moltke posted:

Just got this game because it's exploding and many of my friends are playing. Tried it out and was pretty quickly bored by the mechanics. The construction system is as terrible as Ark's, and I can't stand endlessly farming materials (stone, wood, food) just to be able to do anything at all. It seems like that I spend 90% of my time searching for stone or cutting down trees.

The reading I did about the more interesting aspects of the game (boss fights and exploration) were what interested me, so my question to folks who have put time into this game - will the things that I do not enjoy go away as I progress, or should I expect those to be major parts of the game? Put differently, does the game break away from being different Minecraft with a bad UI at any point, or am I just supposed to enjoy the zen of collecting things and building an autism temple?

TBH it sounds like it's just not the genre for you. The boss fights right now aren't really all that fun, and you generally don't need to do them more than once, and the general gameplay loop is to figure out a goal for yourself, gather resources for it, then do it, rinse, repeat. The exploration is all right, but it's probably not gonna be enough to sustain you playing the game because at a certain point you have to get out of the boat to play the game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Moltke posted:

am I just supposed to enjoy the zen of collecting things and building an autism temple?

Sounds like you'll hate the game.

You naturally get better tools and skillups that make tasks like chopping wood and traveling easier, but the game still exists within its genre. It's about collecting resources and building things with them. In my experience this game is dramatically less demanding in terms of resource gathering intensity compared to Ark, and has removed a lot of pain points like repair costs and you get full refunds on broken or dismantled buildings, food and rest are bonus systems rather than death threats. I also found Ark's building to be incredibly lovely and impossible to get results but Valheim's building, even in such an early and janky state, seems to work much better for me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sometimes I feel like the game is making some kind of meta-joke on the pop-culture notions of vikings by luring you in with the promise of epic battles and then having you spend most of your time maintaining your homestead.

Odin tasked you with restoring order to the realms, starting with this untidy bed of turnips.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Moltke posted:

Just got this game because it's exploding and many of my friends are playing. Tried it out and was pretty quickly bored by the mechanics. The construction system is as terrible as Ark's, and I can't stand endlessly farming materials (stone, wood, food) just to be able to do anything at all. It seems like that I spend 90% of my time searching for stone or cutting down trees.

The reading I did about the more interesting aspects of the game (boss fights and exploration) were what interested me, so my question to folks who have put time into this game - will the things that I do not enjoy go away as I progress, or should I expect those to be major parts of the game? Put differently, does the game break away from being different Minecraft with a bad UI at any point, or am I just supposed to enjoy the zen of collecting things and building an autism temple?

I think it's safe to say that most if not all of the fans of this game were hooked on it from the beginning. If you haven't been pulled in yet I very much doubt you will in the future

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, we noticed the same. I assume it was an oversight that it worked to begin with.

I ran into this today too and tbh I wondered the same thing. Didn't see any mention in the patch notes though so :shrug:

e] Also I really wish they'd lower the spawn rates of greydwarves, they aren't challenging and don't really drop anything useful, so it's just a hassle constantly running into them in the forests.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

New complaint: Trying to build anything with real height to it for the first time, and my roof keeps collapsing no matter how much I shore it up. Do supports actually matter or does it just count distance/number of pieces between it and the ground? I've seen conflicting information.

Your support needs to reach the point its supporting in less pieces then anything else. The 4 Meter log posts work really well as supports because they are much taller then a wall piece.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vanadium posted:

Does that affect game performance for clients in busy situations, or is that still bottlenecked by p2p netcode or w/e and the change mostly means lower overhead for managed dedicated server providers?

I don't know? :v:

I just know that prior today a completely empty server would gobble up a core doing nothing. They've fixed that so an idle server is actually idle.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

We just found the 'style' button in the forge. Feel like a big idiot for having a basic rear end default shield :mad:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Is there any way to recover stuff from underwater? My ship got destroyed off screen and it was full of copper. I can see it but can't seem to pick it up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Starks posted:

Is there any way to recover stuff from underwater? My ship got destroyed off screen and it was full of copper. I can see it but can't seem to pick it up.

If it was in the cargo hold of your ship there will be a small box floating in the water with the cargo in it. As far as we have seen they never despawn. Failing that you can park a boat over it and swim under it to push you underwater and possibly within reach of the items.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I absolutely love the specific style of jank this game has, especially the "You are out of arrow" message every time I'm hitting a troll, but I found my new favorite:

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 18, 2021

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Moltke posted:

Agreeing with others who said this game probably won't "click" for you.

I will note that the grind and all that feels very different when you're playing with a group of friends. Stuff like getting bronze working up and running feels very slow when playing alone, but in a group you can have some people doing base-building, some people dungeon crawling, some people building roads, etc. If you can find friends who will do the stuff you find boring, you can go have fun. That said, I don't think the combat is particularly enjoyable -- I think it's better than Minecraft because at least with the parry system there's something going on there, but it's not particularly exciting or anything.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Games > Valheim - You can't eat more Sausages

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Inzombiac posted:

Show me your houses and compounds!

I restarted, gonna cheat some materials because looking good is more important to me than laboring further (fun though it can be).

this is a craft hall and shipping dock i made today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YWoLO5jcyk

central path for carts to go to/from the dock. lower level for crafting and central storage. doors will open out into a smelter zone. and a circular dock, for easy steering.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Spent a couple hours just chopping down a forest for a couple chests full of wood for (char)coal; game is even more amazing when I can get a tree to fall on a tree which breaks and falls on more trees, causing a multi tree combo that wipes out half a slope.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Been playing with buds, games real good!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
making bridges, even basic ones: also fun

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

PIZZA.BAT posted:

We just found the 'style' button in the forge. Feel like a big idiot for having a basic rear end default shield :mad:

THE WHAT

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm always amazed by how creative people are at building structures in these kinds of games. I barely have enough patience for the grind, nevermind the effort it would take to build elaborate bridges, boathouses, great halls and all the other incredible things you guys are making.

Oh well, back to my ramshackle little hovel with jagged bits of earth jutting through the floorboards everywhere.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This was my first house, before I moved to a community server. Kinda miss it.

And this was my second. Ineffective use of space. It's now been converted to a common sleeping quarters and I'm in the process of furnishing it for comfort.

This is my current HQ, close to the main base. I call it the Den of the Hill Jarl. I need to decorate it some more.

Sorry for the screenshot diarrhea!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fart Car '97 posted:

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

This tempting nugget was sandwiched between so much genuine advice I don't know if you were confused or if this was an evil but cleverly laid trap. Did you trick me? You have to tell me if you tricked me.

(Or did you mean the crops that aren't turnips/carrots?)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Inzombiac posted:

My map is hot hot dogshit. It's a ton of rivers and archipelagos. It's interesting but a hassle to navigate. I'm building bridges where I can but it's taking forever.

Anyone have a particular seed they like? Since i can port over my character, I'll just transplant all my stuff into something new.

Inzombiac posted:

Show me your houses and compounds!

I restarted because my first map was rear end, all splintered biomes and a terrible starter island. The new island is pretty rad though, Mountain and Swamp to south on starter island, as well as trader relatively close. wVJCZahxX8 . There's 2 rivers that bisect the starter island, one directly north of the starting position.

Old home, mostly as a building practice:

Current WIP home on new island:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's a cool-looking island!

Edit: Neither here nor there: People who fell oaks should be executed, like in the old days.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 18, 2021

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I really wish they'd lower the spawn rates of greydwarves, they aren't challenging and don't really drop anything useful, so it's just a hassle constantly running into them in the forests.

Tame wolves. I go out with 4 wolves whenever I'm in the forests and they tear everything apart up to swamp-tier without me lifting a finger.

They also chase down deer and boar for you while you stare at your feet looking for mushrooms.

Interestingly they continue to breed and give birth out in the wild. My local area is slowly becoming filled with 'wild' tame wolves roaming the forests destroying the ecosystem and it rocks.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

This is our cool Mountain biome outpost:

It's not very spacious, but it's cozy as gently caress and well protected against the local weather and wildlife.

This is our main base that I'm apparently just finishing up from before I knew how to take screenshots without the UI:

Edit: Some more shots of the latter at https://imgur.com/a/Tkjnouc, slight spoilers from words on signs. We're pretty happy with this one because it feels very vikingy and has comfort level 11 or so.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Tame wolves. I go out with 4 wolves whenever I'm in the forests and they tear everything apart up to swamp-tier without me lifting a finger.

They also chase down deer and boar for you while you stare at your feet looking for mushrooms.

Is there a way to get wolves from one island to another? The one we happened to tame wolves in has basically nothing else going on, so we never go there anymore.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 18, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Where can I find starting house/base templates? I checked the Wiki but no luck there.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The second boss fight is pretty hectic. I only brought 100 arrows figuring it'd be easy like the first boss and I couldn't run back for more because he blew up my stupidly placed teleporter in the first 5 seconds. Tried kiting all the greydwarves, skeletons and a troll who was hiding off to the side but everyone except the skeles were only interested in killing me.

Luckily the pathing eventually bugged out with everyone just pacing back and forth, so I could just take my time and regen between skirmishes.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Is there a trick to harpooning and pulling a Serpent to shallow waters? Besides getting the speed right?

Either we go too fast and the harpoon line breaks, or he's so close he's breaking our ship in the middle of the ocean. Haven't tried either yet, but can you have more than 1 harpoon active and attached? Or do we just make it follow us near to a shore and then harpoon up?

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 18, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

This tempting nugget was sandwiched between so much genuine advice I don't know if you were confused or if this was an evil but cleverly laid trap. Did you trick me? You have to tell me if you tricked me.

(Or did you mean the crops that aren't turnips/carrots?)

It works with barely and flax, and the one time I tried it with Carrots and Turnips it worked as well. I will test it again later because I think some folks might be using it on un-sprouted veggies which will definitely destroy them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anyone paying to rent a server? Reccomendations on hosts? My friends and I can't host locally for various reasons.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VietCampo posted:

Is there a trick to harpooning and pulling a Serpent to shallow waters? Besides getting the speed right?

Either we go too fast and the harpoon line breaks, or he's so close he's breaking our ship in the middle of the ocean. Haven't tried either yet, but can you have more than 1 harpoon active and attached? Or do we just make it follow us near to a shore and then harpoon up?

Oh wait is that what that harpoon is for? What happens when you pull it to shore?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

explosivo posted:

Oh wait is that what that harpoon is for? What happens when you pull it to shore?

You can ensure the drops don't sink to the bottom of the ocean when you kill it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GruntyThrst posted:

You can ensure the drops don't sink to the bottom of the ocean when you kill it.

Oh that makes sense.. The only time I ever got attacked by one was on the shore directly outside my base but it swam away once I almost had it killed. I let him go because I was panicking about losing the 9 stacks of iron I had in my boat to the sea right in front of my home base.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

My reaction exactly. Check the crafting menu at the forge for shields

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Harlock posted:

Anyone paying to rent a server? Reccomendations on hosts? My friends and I can't host locally for various reasons.

I'm playing on a server (Aim and Achieve) hosted by Nodecraft, and they seem like a pretty good host.

Normally this referral link would give you a discount, but they're currently running a "50% off your first month" deal that probably supercedes it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My reaction exactly. Check the crafting menu at the forge for shields

Whoa, what the hell? I never saw this before! Thanks for the heads up.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
Our server is close to it's in-game anniversary, as the dawn of Day 365 approaches.
However, I want to know if anyone else has experienced, or knows of a direct source on, difficulty increasing with day number.

Around day 200 or so we started getting Brutes and Shamans spawning in the Meadows. Now (apparently, i've not been in today), there are Draugr occasionally appearing there. Is this a known feature - that the longer you run it the harder the world spawns get - or is it linked to something else (average tech level of people on the server, or number of bosses beaten or something).

It's frustrating because some people are forging ahead with getting themselves kitted out with later game equipment, but others on the same server are content building farms and houses... but the world is getting more dangerous for them too.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I finally got my port forwarding issues worked out, and finally have my own dedicated server my friends can join.

I've got an old gaming computer I'd like to setup as a headless server so I don't need to run my current rig 24/7 - while it was top of the line when I built it, it's definitely old tech by now. Do you think this is adequate for 6 people or not even worth the attempt?

i7 920 (Quad core w/ HT, 2.66ghz)
6gb DDR3 ram
120gb SSD on SATA 6Gb/s
100gbps on Verizon FIOS with DDNS

It was decommissioned so I'd need to put a little work into it, reinstalling the heatsink and putting it all back into a case. It's still on Win7 but I see some people successfully running on linux?

Any input is valuable, please feel free to poo poo all over this idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My server is on a NUC from 2015, i3-5010U cpu with 8GB ram. It does fine with 3 players. Sometimes there's a little lag with combat and picking up items but it's tolerable.