Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was surprised to discover in the last few years that some members of the Labour party do not like being referred to as 'comrade' or 'comrades'.

IME it was a signifier of what side you're on. Lefties went with 'comrade', the melts running both the CLPs I was in preferred 'colleague'.

Edit: 1998 was the best Windows version ever fite me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kingturnip posted:

So basically, Labour's membership have deserted en masse and this is Starmer offering all three holes to business.
[edit]So that they can continue to pay the worthless shits at head office

Nuke Akehurst seems to think the membership is still over 500k, albeit with a *lot* of churn (roughly 20%)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

Personally I wish we could have a gender neutral honorific. Or stop bothering with them at all. Being called 'Mr Invader' doesn't bother me, but being called 'sir' puts just a little hitch in my day sometimes that it didn't used to.

I like that Japan has (afaik) -san and -sama for both genders as an honorific, and then a bit more gendered -chan and -kun diminutives, though IIRC they're a bit flexible depending on the context.

Might be getting that all wrong tho, but surprisingly inclusive for a society which is... less so

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Communist Thoughts posted:

The gov doesn't need me to buy a bond for them to print more money to do stuff.
So it kinda seems like this is just a way of draining people's savings but not on anything productive.

I forget how all of this works periodically because there are so many words in finance that don't mean anything elsewhere so I can't remember the specifics. But I think the point of bonds are that the government don't need to print money (yet). They borrow yours, spend it to grow the economy, and pay you back from the growth. You get security in the sense that future government tax income is about as guaranteed as you can get, and of course when the bond is due the government can choose to print money at that point if it really has to. I don't really understand how it's supposed to appeal to the public though. Normally in recent times bonds are super low risk, super low return investments that pension funds can safely put large amounts of money into. When things get hosed up bond yields go negative, which means the rich are panicking and looking for places to store their cash that won't suddenly evaporate, and happy to pay a fee to do so. If the government really need cash now they can avoid printing money in the short term by offering better yields, which is basically where war bonds work. But the government doesn't really need cash, it can easily borrow it right now at near-zero interest rates without going to the public. And if you're someone who has saved up a bit of spare money in the pandemic, why would you lock it into a low-yield bond when you can put it in a low-yield cash ISA that you can at least take the money back out from if you suddenly need it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gh0stpinballa posted:

what is a tory marxist. just saw someone self-ID as such on twitter but the post is gone now. i suppose you could accept the marxist conception of history is true but identify as a tory? technically, to some degree. idk. i guess christopher hitchens could be a tory marxist.

Wouldn't that be all those RCP persons now working at No. 10 or for various right wing outfits?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Amusingly not in my experience, since I've gotten mail from German biotech companies before with "Herr Doktor" on it, so I assume "Frau Doktor" is also a thing that's used. Although I can't imagine"Fraulein Doktor" gets much use

Ah yes I forgot about that! (Don't know if they do use Frau Doktor mind you but it sounds highly likely).

In British use though Dr sidesteps it. So does Reverend or Your Majesty.

If people hedge and say to me "Mrs, Miss?" I say back "Sir will do nicely" then I laugh as if I am joking but I am NOT bwahahahaha. Funny how 'madam' has different connotations to 'sir' depending on how it is said: Madam as a polite, Madam as manager of a brothel, Madam as term of reference for obnoxious small youthful female person as in "You little madam".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Which from his stated height of 6ft2" I worked out he weighs 107.6 KG (I did that calculation last night so I may have misremembered it).
Otherwise, he weighs 100000kg and is in fact a space shuttle.

feedmegin posted:

IME it was a signifier of what side you're on. Lefties went with 'comrade', the melts running both the CLPs I was in preferred 'colleague'.

Amazing! I just had to try and activate an ancient copy of Office XP so I can use an ancient Access database on an old XP machine I have that does not connect to the internet unless I use an ethernet cable. (Confidentiality, GDPR etc etc).
(We're moving data to a new non-Access system but to move it we have to get the data out in the first place).
I did plug it in to the ethernet to try to activate - no it's not supported anymore. Then the phone number it gives - no longer working. So after some googling find a replacement number and used that and it worked!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 18, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If people hedge and say to me "Mrs, Miss?" I say back "Sir will do nicely" then I laugh as if I am joking but I am NOT bwahahahaha. Funny how 'madam' has different connotations to 'sir' depending on how it is said: Madam as a polite, Madam as manager of a brothel, Madam as term of reference for obnoxious small youthful female person as in "You little madam".

"Sir, you're making a scene".

Mostly "Sir" as an honorific seems to carry an implication of pedophilia now. I'm sure there are exceptions but why bother finding out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Otherwise, he weighs 100000kg and is in fact a space shuttle.

I was ok with attack helicopters but this is a bridge too far

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

that feels right...i imagine quite a lot of tories say that thing about agreeing with marx's diagnosis but not his suggested treatment.

Big "we only have to be lucky once - magart tatcher" energy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 18, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

sebzilla posted:

Nuke Akehurst seems to think the membership is still over 500k, albeit with a *lot* of churn (roughly 20%)

Our CLP membership has shrunk by about 10%*. We're still entitled to as many conference delegates as we were last year, and since that's calculated by membership numbers our experience probably isn't wildly unusual. Our trajectory is still gently downwards.

* E: this year, I should have said. Much more since 2017.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 18, 2021

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Oh actually, one way of thinking about it that might work - if you believe the public are generally sitting on piles of money that they are not spending, and you want to get that money circulating through the economy, you could encourage them to put the money into bonds, and then immediately spend it on things that promote growth. So in order for this to make sense, Starmer has to explain how much unspent cash he thinks people have sitting around, and what he's planning to spend it on that would do better than just giving cash to people who have been furloughed or unable to work during the pandemic.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Sir, you're making a scene".

Mostly "Sir" as an honorific seems to carry an implication of pedophilia now. I'm sure there are exceptions but why bother finding out

Teachers are called either Sir or Miss nearly always.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Our CLP membership has shrunk by about 10%. We're still entitled to as many conference delegates as we were last year, and since that's calculated by membership numbers our experience probably isn't wildly unusual. Our trajectory is still gently downwards.

Be interesting to find out how many are 'in arrears' for 6-18 months and still on the records and how many of the January 2000 starmerist insurgents renew this year. Some must surely be somewhat disappointed!

I haven't seen my leaky comrade who is holding on to his membership by the skin of his teeth and is on the CLP exec to give me the inside gen on my ex-CLP for a while since the current lockdown started to get info.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh dear me posted:

Our CLP membership has shrunk by about 10%*. We're still entitled to as many conference delegates as we were last year, and since that's calculated by membership numbers our experience probably isn't wildly unusual. Our trajectory is still gently downwards.

* E: this year, I should have said. Much more since 2017.

Good to hear. Hope the party goes bankrupt

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hey remember when people making a mistake would apologise, rather than double down and say actually it was a perfectly reasonable mistake and it's the trans woman's fault for getting mad about constant microaggressions?

I didn't know GM was enby either, but if I'd gotten it wrong the correct response is "Oh sorry, I'll be better in future" not "WELL ACTUALLY"

Jakabite posted:

E: do you consider accidental misgendering, when the person literally didn’t know that the person had recently switched pronouns, to be a micro aggression? I feel that’s a little harsh.
It's still misgendering. I know that word comes with a lot of implied malice, but it's literal meaning is to use the wrong gender signifiers for a person.

Same with microaggressions. They don't have to be intended, they just have to be a neverending, death-by-a-thousand-cuts stream of tiny scratches. Hence the 'micro' part.

Accidentally misgendering doesn't make you a bad person. Going on the defensive instead of just correcting and apologising is where the problem starts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

From simple politics on FB. Anyone who would be attracted by the social justice and equality is going to be put right off by the mention of business, and I can't help but feel that the inverse is going to be true as well.

Labour: Something for everyone to hate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I just booked my first covid vaccine and I'm 35 and though I'm kinda overweight I'm pretty sure they don't have my weight on record anywhere

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is that Simple Politics design or are Labour actually using blue as their accent colour now?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I like that Japan has (afaik) -san and -sama for both genders as an honorific, and then a bit more gendered -chan and -kun diminutives, though IIRC they're a bit flexible depending on the context.

Might be getting that all wrong tho, but surprisingly inclusive for a society which is... less so

Yeah san and sama are gender neutral. Even chan and kun are they're just favoured to mean girls and boys respectively, but even then a teacher/superior will use kun for students/underlings regardless of gender.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
kun and the gang

Julio Cruz posted:

I just booked my first covid vaccine and I'm 35 and though I'm kinda overweight I'm pretty sure they don't have my weight on record anywhere
National vaccine database uses goons.xls

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

feedmegin posted:

Windows 2000 was better!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Desperately disappointing his name isn’t Stanley

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

my leaky comrade
new penis nickname found

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Is that Simple Politics design or are Labour actually using blue as their accent colour now?
Simple politics design. They're pretty good at dumbing down and summing up concepts enough that I can send them to my mum to explain what's going on.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Microsoft Windows first began
In two thousand and three
(which was rather late for Me)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

Windows 2000 was better!
NT 4.0 > 2000 > 10 > 7 > XP > Workgroups 3.11 > NT 3.5 > 98 > 3.x > 95 > Gary Glitter's Disk Drive > Vista > Millennium Edition

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bout to fail this loving accounting course

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Now this is one that is completely ruined by trying to include everything, a much better one would have been must contain tea, must contain leaves, must contain any material. You could even keep the preparation catagories the same...

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
marketing i'm great at, digital business, no worries. global business environment? more or less as previously discussed, marxism but without the moral element, anaylsis from that perspective is interesting. management organization, genuinely interesting. academic and professional skills development, i mean poo poo i needed it.

accounting? fuckin hate accounting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's no accounting for taste.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

There's no accounting for taste.

heh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Lol loving bullshit, if it were anywhere near that amount Labour would be screaming that number from the rooftops (and also not sending me increasingly frantic emails asking to help with phone banking for the locals)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

NT 4.0 > 2000 > 10 > 7 > XP > Workgroups 3.11 > NT 3.5 > 98 > 3.x > 95 > Gary Glitter's Disk Drive > Vista > Millennium Edition

I'm going to be the massive Vista contrarian and say that it was basically no worse than 7 with a few rough corners, but it was the first Windows that required 1GB RAM (like every version since), and OEMs bitched about it so hard that Microsoft lowered the minimum spec to 512MB and guess what, it ran like loving trash!

Also it marked the period of everything on planet earth triggering UAC prompts, because everyone was playing fast and loose with admin access and MS took the scorched earth approach to making them fix it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

you forgot .. ah, i see

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i've been spending lockdown learning about ancient china and it seems like they don't have gendered titles for the emperor vs empress and that really trips up the auto-translate a lot

also they were all a bunch of shaggers and didn't seem to give much of a poo poo at all about gay or lesbian sex, in fact during the early han its very fashionable for men to sleep with eachother. having lots of sex and doing edging and stuff is the path to immortality for men and women and they had sex handbooks with pictures that you'd keep at the bedside and women were expected to know and teach men.

the confucianists were constantly yelling about moral purity and stopping women from having sex but you only yell that much about something if its not happening. theres also a bunch of quotes of people from the time making fun of confucianists for being prude nerds.
theres some horny poet who writes about them "well they dont know nayhting about resisting temptation because nobody is trying to have sex with them, whereas im always resisting temptation from all these women who wanna gently caress"

women are allowed to wank but men aren't though so its a dystopian hellhole

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Well I mean 7 was to Vista as 10 was to 8 so its not suprising Vista is just a slightly worse version of 7.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the confucianists were constantly yelling about moral purity and stopping women from having sex but you only yell that much about something if its not happening. theres also a bunch of quotes of people from the time making fun of confucianists for being prude nerds.
theres some horny poet who writes about them "well they dont know nayhting about resisting temptation because nobody is trying to have sex with them, whereas im always resisting temptation from all these women who wanna gently caress"
Reminds me of when Brits discovered the works of Abu Nuwas and were like "he wrote a rich tapestry of the wine bar and bath house scene of the First Islamic Calphate to shock conservatives" when the actual takeaway should have been more I don't give a gently caress who he was trying to shock he wrote about the what in the where and why does nobody talk about this now?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

having lots of sex and doing edging and stuff is the path to immortality for men and women

:hai:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh god how do you get through to people!

My mother (1 jab so far) had a workman round to her home yesterday. Neither of them wore masks.
I found out today and called mother "but I've been isolating for ever" she says.
"No you haven't" said I, "You go to church (twice a week), you go to the shops, you pop in to see people (unannounced)".
"Well I wear a mask in the shops and in church we have all these precautions" she says.
This is a woman with 2 degrees and a masters degree (and an incomplete PhD because she got breast cancer halfway through and after missing a year of study decided not to continue even to MPhil level. She was 68 at the time.)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its funny coz i started reading into ancient chinese sexuality coz the period pieces i've seen have all been utterly sexless, yet included all male sleepovers and masculine love and stuff like that. the only people who gently caress are villains.

my hypothesis began as "hmm i think this emperor was having gay sex and doing sex magic but maybe im being sensationalist"

now after some reading my new hypothesis is "nearly everyone was doing sex magic and at least the first 4 han emperors were gay as hell"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Maybe the edging just makes it feel like you're living forever.

Edit: im magic at sex