Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

After trying Syracusae, I can't really recommend it. You basically end up railroaded into butting heads with Rome, who are then further railroaded into stomping you into jam because Rome is the special snowflake nation that doesn't lose ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

AnoHito posted:

After trying Syracusae, I can't really recommend it. You basically end up railroaded into butting heads with Rome, who are then further railroaded into stomping you into jam because Rome is the special snowflake nation that doesn't lose ever.

this is probably what it felt like to actually be at war with Rome

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

AnoHito posted:

I feel like Rome did need to be buffed at some point. I remember when the game came out and I would play someone other than Rome (Or look at games from ppl who played other than ROme) and Rome would always get curbstomped. Maybe they went a bit too hard on fixing it

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Started as Scythia due to lots of horse nomad discussion recently in the total warhammer 2 thread, taking it easy to learn the new mechanics and UI, having fun so far. War Council gave me CB on Olbia, Bosporan Kingdom got completly annexed by their greek neighbour and a war against Sarmatia, my former ally, is brewing. No real plan for expansion, probably just going to chill around the black sea and try to reform into a republic.

(Also Rome is decently far away so I don't get horribly murdered :v:)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dalael posted:

I feel like Rome did need to be buffed at some point. I remember when the game came out and I would play someone other than Rome (Or look at games from ppl who played other than ROme) and Rome would always get curbstomped. Maybe they went a bit too hard on fixing it

Terrifying murder Rome is better than puny Rome who slowly conquers Italy and then goes to play in Germania for another century or two and ignores the rest of the Mediterranean

In related news I'm doing a Heracleia Ponticia run and the only thing between me and the Seleucids is the Mithradiatic Kingdom and I already border Thrace and Macedon who both hate me

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Terrifying murder Rome is better than puny Rome who slowly conquers Italy and then goes to play in Germania for another century or two and ignores the rest of the Mediterranean

I haven't really checked out their bonuses yet, but I feel like Rome's special snowflake status really could be portrayed through levy size bonus and boosts to manpower limits and (especially) manpower recovery as well as war exhaustion. There really weren't any other countries at the time that could actually suffer catastrophic losses that the Romans sometimes suffered in their early history and just keep on prosecuting a war, where pretty much everyone else would have come to the negotiating people. Like no one else would have welcomed the guy who led an army of ~80 000 citizens to their graves with standing ovation.

edit: btw, I Really feel like monarchies should be able to have their king be the general of their capital province legion.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2021

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dalael posted:

I got tricked into playing this game again at some point and I picked Syracuse and just ran over Rome. So if players are struggling now that’s probably a good thing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

A hotfix just hit a couple of hours ago, they fixed a bunch of bugs and nerfed the cultural dissemination law (which is good because it was clearly too powerful and it's still useful now). And they also stopped the DLC music playing for non-DLC owners :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dalael posted:

They were buffed a couple of times between release and this already: their getting conquered by Etruria in half of all games stopped being a thing more than a year ago, I think.

With 2.0 they've overjuiced it, I reckon. I'd prefer a Rome that can be scary strong but is weak enough that there's some run-to-run variation in how things turn out in Italy.

Randarkman posted:

I haven't really checked out their bonuses yet, but I feel like Rome's special snowflake status really could be portrayed through levy size bonus and boosts to manpower limits and (especially) manpower recovery as well as war exhaustion. There really weren't any other countries at the time that could actually suffer catastrophic losses that the Romans sometimes suffered in their early history and just keep on prosecuting a war, where pretty much everyone else would have come to the negotiating people. Like no one else would have welcomed the guy who led an army of ~80 000 citizens to their graves with standing ovation.

They have a (small) levy size bonus from their heritage and a special snowflake military reform law that gives them even more. I figure it's that plus the crazy huge population in Latium that's juicing them. They get the free claims on everywhere that Paradox usually adorns their mission trees with, but in Imp even the generic missions do that, so it's not really an edge for them.

I've seen people saying they need something to get them focused on Carthage, which seems plausible.

Beamed posted:

I got tricked into playing this game again at some point and I picked Syracuse and just ran over Rome. So if players are struggling now that’s probably a good thing.

I figure you'll have a harder time with that in this patch. Rome's starting levy is five times Syracuse's and you're much more constrained when it comes to finding more men.

(you're going to get tricked into MP soon, just you wait :cool:)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I ended up buying it with ten minutes left on the sale. I hope they get this poo poo patched soon.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I've seen people saying they need something to get them focused on Carthage, which seems plausible.

Huh, they don't? Like they seem to have mission chains to get them taking over Italy, they should have something to represent the whole Mamertine farce that got them into Sicily and the first Punic War.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Huh, they don't? Like they seem to have mission chains to get them taking over Italy, they should have something to represent the whole Mamertine farce that got them into Sicily and the first Punic War.

Checking: they do, but it's DLC-only. Not sure if the people mooting this don't have it or think they need something more?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I in the late stages of a carthage run where you be booted rome out of italia and am now planning my reconquest of Phoenicia

Rome biggest things are that they just have a gently caress load of troops and they grow really drat fast so your stuck basically trying to make sure their forces stay split up so they don't drown you in buffed up infantry. If you can keep them out of magna greacia they become a lot more manageable.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

RIP sweet baby Heracleia you got sandwiched between Macedon, Thrace and a surprisingly buff surviving Antigonid remnant in Phrygia but at least you managed to convert most of the north Anatolian coast to Zoroastrian Persians in 30 years.

Does anyone know how to do the Mithridatic Kingdom thing, they were really strong in this game until they overextended and got eaten, I guess they get some neat buffs when they spawn

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RabidWeasel posted:

RIP sweet baby Heracleia you got sandwiched between Macedon, Thrace and a surprisingly buff surviving Antigonid remnant in Phrygia but at least you managed to convert most of the north Anatolian coast to Zoroastrian Persians in 30 years.

Does anyone know how to do the Mithriadic Kingdom thing, they were really strong in this game until they overextended and got eaten, I guess they get some neat buffs when they spawn

I think you just get an event to let them take over the dynasty if you start as Pontus

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've played way too much Pontus and it used to be that you had to make sure Mithridates didn't die on his travels eastward, which could happen when whatever nation he was in ended up in civil war and he ended up on the losing side.

Not sure if that's changed though, I haven't played recently but Pontus deserved a second pass to make it a bit more interesting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Not sure if that's changed though, I haven't played recently but Pontus deserved a second pass to make it a bit more interesting.

There's a
code:
Made Mithridates events more reliable
line in the 2.0.1 patch notes, but God knows what that means.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fuligin posted:

I think you just get an event to let them take over the dynasty if you start as Pontus

I think this is the main problem with this game right now. What if you don't want to play as Pontus

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would you want to form the Pontus kingdom but not start as Pontus

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would you want to form the Pontus kingdom but not start as Pontus

I don't want to play as loving Pontus!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

loving Paradox!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I definitely fall under the camp that believes Rome should become the inevitable murder blob it is destined to be, makes it better knowing there is a growing power out there no matter what happens.

I also think there should be other murder blobs capable of going toe to toe with them and I don't think they should be unstoppable but playing a game in this period should naturally have them grow massively.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I do wish the game would acknowledge the OTHER major world historic empire that emerged in this period aka the Parthians.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

trapped mouse posted:

I don't want to play as loving Pontus!!

Ah your trolling, everyone loves Pontus

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

I do wish the game would acknowledge the OTHER major world historic empire that emerged in this period aka the Parthians.

Pfft, they're ranked 4th behind Rome, the Mauryans, and the Qin.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Rome now becoming really big even when played by the AI sounds really cool. I remember being frustrated in my Menapia -> Belgian -> Gaul game that at no point did I encounter an enemy bigger than myself, so the game ended up being really easy really fast. If you know Rome will become big than at least it can become a race of "can you get to Rome fast enough before they out-tech you completely and if not, can you get your economy/tech up and running fast enough yourself?" which sounds a lot more fun. I haven't played this patch yet though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Parthians actually formed in my current game, conquered Bactria, made inroads into Media... then got smashed flat by the Maurya, who are conquering India faster than Rome are conquering Europe :stonk:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Pfft, they're ranked 4th behind Rome, the Mauryans, and the Qin.

It's the Han Empire at this point in time. Qin is pretty far to the past.

Joke or not, the point stands though, the Parthians were not at the level of the Romans, they were never actually an existential threat to the Romans in any way, unlike the later Sassanid Empire was for the East. They were a regional power at best really, one which the Roman Empire having expanded to their limits, with their forces tied down maintaining the empire and generally beyond their logistical reach, could not subdue.

Still, I think I saw something in the patch notes about trying to facilitate the Parni grabbing the eastern parts of the Seleukid empire, which really there should be an event or mission chain for, since you have them for many other things.

The Kushan Empire is the true forgotten empire of the era (thogh it's towards the very end of it and basically just outside the game's timeframe) in any case, one which had world historical significance when it coems to silk road trade and transfer of Buddhism out of India.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Naw, the game starts in 304 BCE. It's the tail end of the Warring States period, the Zhou are still around as a rump state and Qin Shi Huang won't crown himself emperor for another eight decades.

It'd be a pretty cool start point for Chinese action, if Paradox would extend the map.

EDIT: Drat, you're right.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 19, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Randarkman posted:

It's the Han Empire at this point in time. Qin is pretty far to the past.

Naw, the game starts in 304 BCE. It's the tail end of the Warring States period, the Zhou are still around as a rump state and Qin Shi Huang won't crown himself emperor for another eight decades.

It'd be a pretty cool start point for Chinese action, if Paradox would extend the map.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Just dodged a event-made civil war I think, Rome with some event giving non-integrated pops happiness/"rights", continued on rights path, came to an event that seemingly was supposed to cause a civil war with one of my governors leading the rebels, but as he was already deployed as a general for my levy he just became disobedient instead of being part of a rebellion.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Uh...that's sounds completely reasonable. Rome conquered the Mediterranean world, they should be a difficult obstacle for the player to surpass.

That doesn't mean that the geographic position of Syracuse isn't excellent, it is. And as the second strongest Greek city state they have a good power base to build on.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Another fun glitch, if you delete the port that a fleet is in the fleet can no longer leave the port. stuck up on dry land I guess

edit: also, doesnt seem like the extra innovations triggers, or if it does it has an incredibly low chance. I keep at least 2/4 of my researchers with the innovation traits, sometimes more, and its 578 with no extra innovations.
double edit: I think I just got one with no message or anything? Strange.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 19, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How many cultures do you guys keep integrated as Rome? The boost in levies is really significant when you bring another 200 pops into the fold.

That said, sometimes I feel like it's a bit unnecessary considering how insanely buffed Roman troops can get, lol

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

toasterwarrior posted:

How many cultures do you guys keep integrated as Rome? The boost in levies is really significant when you bring another 200 pops into the fold.

That said, sometimes I feel like it's a bit unnecessary considering how insanely buffed Roman troops can get, lol

I am integrating the ones that make sense thematically for me, maybe you can see the total cultural happiness penalties somewhere and go from there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd say that integrating pops is generally a good idea now until you get into the area of having 1000+ integrated pops already. The happiness hit is small enough and adding ~150-200+ integrated pops to your army essentially for free is a big deal. Though there are some map areas where the pop cultures are extremely split up (the new Anatolian setup is bad for this)

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

edit: also, doesnt seem like the extra innovations triggers, or if it does it has an incredibly low chance. I keep at least 2/4 of my researchers with the innovation traits, sometimes more, and its 578 with no extra innovations.

I had two researchers with these traits for most of my playthroughs so far and I got about 1 extra invention per decade or maybe a bit more than that, which seems pretty good.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Randarkman posted:

edit: btw, I Really feel like monarchies should be able to have their king be the general of their capital province legion.

It'd be great if the game told you the requirements for jobs. I've started as Epirus and expected my genius commander to be able to lead the army. But he's too young, fair enough. Then he's adult and I have dynastic crisis and the only dude I can choose to lead the troops is the leader of my enemies. To know if I can put my military researcher in command I'll have to try it and probably get some loyalty problems.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I did the same and got half a dozen before 500?

The event is one of those minor character events with no pop up unless you open it from the outliner

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My main issue has generally been keeping the governor of Magna Graecia loyal, though TBF that was probably a perennial issue in actual history.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The event is one of those minor character events with no pop up unless you open it from the outliner

I've had this event happen a few times but I'm almost certain that twice there wasn't an event pop up, I wonder if there's more than one event for the different traits and one of them is "silent"

I actually kind of miss the event log from EU4, there isn't anything similar in Imperator is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ilitarist posted:

It'd be great if the game told you the requirements for jobs. I've started as Epirus and expected my genius commander to be able to lead the army. But he's too young, fair enough. Then he's adult and I have dynastic crisis and the only dude I can choose to lead the troops is the leader of my enemies. To know if I can put my military researcher in command I'll have to try it and probably get some loyalty problems.

I'm pretty sure any legion commanders have to be unemployed. You can still get your ruler as commander in a battle though as he will lead your capital levy, it's just that that the legion commander is the one who's going to be getting loyal cohorts.