Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm going to lol when number 31 ranked Gruff beats number 2 ranked Bloodsport.

Edit: Bracket

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Robert Cowan did a video on servicing a drive motor in Copperhead. That's a lot of sturdy bot components:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWvzHL_LOw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm going to lol when number 31 ranked Gruff beats number 2 ranked Bloodsport.

Edit: Bracket

Who's your winner? Am I overlooking it?

Yeah Gruff is a really tough draw for a 2 vs. 31 matchup. That's study-rear end robot that might be able to break Bloodsport's weapon with its face.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I'm terrible at these, but it's fun. I'll speculate on this week's matches.

Hydra v Hypershock: Yeah, I don't think Hypershock is going to find their groove with this match.
Malice v Gigabyte: I have no idea. I'm just going to go with Malice but this is a 50-50 match for me.
Whiplash v Huge: I love Huge, but I expect this to be a repeat of last year.'
Valkyrie vs Subzero: Valkyrie's been impressive this year and Subzero's had some weird driving every match this season.
UpperCut v Hijinx: Uppercut is Uppercut.
Beta v Ribbot: Honestly, this could go either way, but I expect Beta to be fairly resilient to Ribbot.
Black Dragon v Slammow: There aren't many bots in this bracket I think Slammow could beat to be honest.
Madcatter vs Tombstone: This could be closer than we all think, but I think Tombstone can clean up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

PostNouveau posted:

Would also appreciate this for scoring purposes.

With 12 entries so far, we have 11 unique predicted winners

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?

After I finished I realized my bets were pretty lame, but there's something to be said for the top ranked seeds this year.

Esoter1c fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 17, 2021

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Just feels like it's Copperhead's year, one way or another.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PostNouveau posted:

Oops, my bad. I guess I'll go with Copperhead.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just started watching through these... this one you can get a glimpse into the hydraulic schematics of Hydra... and also a tour of their shop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjf65kAc5I

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

There's such an impressive level of engineering in Hydra.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I want to highlight how much Kraken has improved from the first time they were on. It seems like they have gone from almost a joke bot to a really competent fighter. I'm really impressed with how well they've done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

I want to highlight how much Kraken has improved from the first time they were on. It seems like they have gone from almost a joke bot to a really competent fighter. I'm really impressed with how well they've done.

It's really hardened up a lot since v1.0

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Uppercut can beat Hydra if they can refit their weapon so that it will ever actually touch Hydra.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Just started watching through these... this one you can get a glimpse into the hydraulic schematics of Hydra... and also a tour of their shop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjf65kAc5I

Wow, Uppercut got to Sawblaze's flame tank by doing this

to what Jamison Go describes as the "thin" section of aluminum armor.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Aluminium isnt very strong, to be fair. A steel weapon will tear chunks out of any thickness of it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alright, finally got this done. Lets believe in it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Some notes: Copperhead is real good, but not enough to defeat the forces of evil. I love my boy HUGE but he's not going anywhere. Gruff is too much of a brick for Bloodsport to deal with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly if they found some way to pit Hydra against Ribbot, I would consider not being so mad at them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Huge is almost always entertaining, but I'm sure it will run into something that can shrug off its weapon and shred its wheels.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

More importantly, its up first against Whiplash, which is perfectly suited to deal with huge by just lifting its arm up. If it can manage to overcome that, Huge may go deep but I just dont see it happening.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Great Beer posted:

More importantly, its up first against Whiplash, which is perfectly suited to deal with huge by just lifting its arm up. If it can manage to overcome that, Huge may go deep but I just dont see it happening.
I have Whiplash over HUGE on my bracket FWIW, but rewatching their match last season (which Whiplash won), it was closer than I remembered and HUGE did more damage than Whiplash IMO.

beepsandboops fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 18, 2021

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I hope my bracket is wrong and Hypershock gets the upset on Hydra. It would be far from the most unexpected result this season.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I know my bracket is wrong. Tombstone will break itself on somebody. I just didn't have the guts to guess who.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Here's the spreadsheet I'm using to tally our predictions: Battlebots 2021
Points for predicting the winner are equal to the round of the win (1 for first round, 2 for second round, etc...)

I'll consider any further submissions that are posted before 8pm Eastern as valid, even if I don't get them updated in the spreadsheet by the start of the episode

With 17 entries so far, here's some data I pulled

Predicted Winner Votes
-Copperhead: 4
-Bloodsport: 2
-Hydra: 2
-Huge: 2
-Whiplash, Rotator, Uppercut, End Game, Sawblaze, Tombstone, Witch Doctor: 1

First Round
Uppercut and Black Dragon are favored to win 17-0
Beta is favored 16-1 (Tunicate is the brave single soul here)
Hydra, Valkyrie, Sawblaze and End Game are favored 15-2
Tombstone is favored 14-3

The closest matches are expected to be Gigabyte/Malice, Skorpios/Witch Doctor and Jackpot/Rotator with near even 9-8 splits

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Just as a heads-up, todays episode is already on discovery+, as is betas bounty hunter episode which may affect some brackets posted after this point.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I made a bracket but it ended up with hydra winning and I refuse to believe that evil wins

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ideally Huge will somehow break that stupid keep-away bar in half and smash the poo poo out of Hydra.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Presumably the judges came to their senses and are not going to allow a Stalling Device to serve as an active weapon. Especially since, let's be real, this isn't a real sport and what ultimately matters is audience satisfaction.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Just as a heads-up, todays episode is already on discovery+, as is betas bounty hunter episode which may affect some brackets posted after this point.

How does this keep happening?

Halloween Jack posted:

Presumably the judges came to their senses and are not going to allow a Stalling Device to serve as an active weapon. Especially since, let's be real, this isn't a real sport and what ultimately matters is audience satisfaction.

All sports are made-up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

How does this keep happening?

Pretty sure Discover is just intentionally putting the episodes up early to get some more suckers to sign up for their streaming service...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure Discover is just intentionally putting the episodes up early to get some more suckers to sign up for their streaming service...

It's working because I'll pay 6 bucks a month to watch a day early.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

All sports are made-up.
That's not true. There are real sports like long jump, javelin throw, and other Olympic sport that determine which nation produces the best steroid regimen athletes. They're just not entertaining and therefore not a viable business.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Interesting. They actually mention upgrading the floor at the start of the Beta bounty hunter episodes. Think it's the first / only time in the series that they even make a reference to the new floor they did for this season...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Madcatter lasted longer than I thought they would

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cant say I ever saw a bot move that slowly in a line before

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lol, poor Hijinx.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering if Hijinks would fit in those gaps.

I like how the Uppercut team always seems legitimately frightened of their robot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Uppercut good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

"Nearly had him"? What world was he in?