Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powered Descent posted:

Pink Floyd The Wall taught me that an acre is the area of a rectangle whose length is one furlong and whose width is one chain. Now all I need to know is what the gently caress those two are, and I'm set.

All the yardage in a football field is an acre.

No endzones, just the yards.

Source: TX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rytheric posted:

Going by the folk lore that an acre is the amount a person can scythe grass for in a day (debating whether im scything or not) the 3/4th acre may be fine for me for starters. Once I am confident I can manage 3/4th acres I will move on to larger land. If this deal falls through I may be buying 1-3 acres anyway.

Note that this folklore measurement is if you're scything from sunup to sundown.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Post more pictures of the cat. Thanks.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i just saw an ad for this thread, why is someone making a campfire in a box truck? isn't that a serious carbon monoxide hazard?

e: sorry i went back and read the op, what the gently caress

drkeiscool fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 18, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
I will try to compile the last remaining footage of nugget "kittycat"

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
I made a YouTube channel specifically for this. Here is a Playlist of Kittycat the most beautiful, affectionate, and lovely cat I've even had the pleasure of living with.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcSjIBUk1DQ6S5viuwKbt9zymLI_No8Pk

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

dragonshardz posted:

Note that this folklore measurement is if you're scything from sunup to sundown.
Sounds like a Saturday or Sunday to me.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Put some drat sheets on your bed, dude!

Very nice kitty BTW. :3:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lodin posted:

Put some drat sheets on your bed, dude!

Very nice kitty BTW. :3:

Yeah, I eventually got tired of beds all together. I'm a floor sleeper now, so it doesn't matter anymore.

I once had a girl friend who was kind of like a normal person. She was horrified to learn I hadn't washed my bed clothes in three years before we met, but I'd clean my mattress every so often (mom said it was a British thing lol). So I adjusted to the normal life for a bit while I was with her, but it seemed pointless and beds seemed pointless space hoggers so I got rid of the idea altogether.

I also learned from my first excursion sleeping on a yoga matt that my rooms tend to be messier if I sleep on a bed due to what I call the canopy effect. If I'm elevated above the ground, I only worry about eye level as I'm above the mess. When I sleep on the floor though, every obstacle or mess is a potential hiding spot for an insect that wants to crawl into my ear, so I tend to clean up more when I'm on the floor.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

:stonk:

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, I eventually got tired of beds all together. I'm a floor sleeper now, so it doesn't matter anymore.

I once had a girl friend who was kind of like a normal person. She was horrified to learn I hadn't washed my bed clothes in three years before we met, but I'd clean my mattress every so often (mom said it was a British thing lol). So I adjusted to the normal life for a bit while I was with her, but it seemed pointless and beds seemed pointless space hoggers so I got rid of the idea altogether.

I also learned from my first excursion sleeping on a yoga matt that my rooms tend to be messier if I sleep on a bed due to what I call the canopy effect. If I'm elevated above the ground, I only worry about eye level as I'm above the mess. When I sleep on the floor though, every obstacle or mess is a potential hiding spot for an insect that wants to crawl into my ear, so I tend to clean up more when I'm on the floor.

this thread...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Even when sleeping at floor level, PLEASE wash the surface or sheets you’re sleeping on.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Extreme dedication to the Stardew Valley Linus cosplay.

louis friend
Oct 7, 2005

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Question Mark Mound posted:

Even when sleeping at floor level, PLEASE wash the surface or sheets you’re sleeping on.

I sleep on a large fluffy blanket when I'm not in grovertruk. Sleep in a sleeping bag in grovertruk. Haven't figured out how to clean it other than beating it and sweeping/vacuum as its too big to put in a washer/dryer. I need like a bathtub to manually wash it like I use to wash my clothes in a 5 gallon bucket and plunger. Yeah I could do that not that you've made me think of it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Rytheric posted:

I know someone who is like this IRL, they eventually got a japanese style thin fold-away floor mat/bed thing, which I guess may have been a compromise with their SO. They’re also an anti-possession minimalist, and keep everything as clear, clean, and empty as possible.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Butt Discussin posted:

I know someone who is like this IRL, they eventually got a japanese style thin fold-away floor mat/bed thing, which I guess may have been a compromise with their SO. They’re also an anti-possession minimalist, and keep everything as clear, clean, and empty as possible.

Yeah, in GroverTruk I have a fold away Thai mattress. I have nothing in my grovertruk bedroom except the mattress and sleeping bag with blankets.

Having more than 4 sets of clothes stresses me out.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

um excuse me posted:

Raised bed gardens are better anyways, no one wants to be hunched over plants all day.

Make a greenhouse and raise vegetables hydroponically

ed.: Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Ry's Saga: sorry i went back and read the op, what the gently caress

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 18, 2021

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I have this sudden and irrational urge to save Rytheric somehow from his own decisions and lifestyle.

edit: Obviously I know this is unreasonable AND arrogant of me.

Edit edit: Plus its not like my lifestyle of never seeing the sun and slowly turning into a Morlock is super healthy or anything.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 18, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is going to royally screw up your back, OP. Reconsider.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
ok so I'm currently on page 9 right now but I wanted to mention that SA ads do work because I would never have found this thread if not for one so whoever bought this great job because it's sucked me in and i can't get out

I'm on the edge of my seat and i can't wait to see where this goes in the next 15 pages

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

OP, please continue storytime

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Paladinus posted:

This is going to royally screw up your back, OP. Reconsider.

It actually seems to help my back. I hurt my back three times over my short lifespan and for a while my back would wake me up in the morning (neglected to go to physical therapy as recommended). I was using pillows under and between my knees for a while to alleviate the pain and keep my back straight. My back didn't start getting better until I started getting involved in powerlifting. Heavy deadlifts gave my back a different kind of pain at night that I could sleep with. Eventually it would stop hurting. But if I go too long without working out my back all that pain comes back and my deadlift numbers plummet. In lieu of working out I find that the softer the mattress the more my back hurts in the morning. If I sleep on a firm mattress or the floor I have little pain. But if I lay in bed all day and night or floor if I'm like sick or something no matter what my back is in a lot of pain.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, okay, it's too late already, carry on then.

But seriously, consult a doctor.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

It actually seems to help my back.

i'm with you there, the best way to stretch my back is to just lie flat on a hard surface for a little bit.

not with you on not washing your linens though, we need a LaundroHaus added to your construction plans homie, i got 5 on it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

i'm with you there, the best way to stretch my back is to just lie flat on a hard surface for a little bit.

not with you on not washing your linens though, we need a LaundroHaus added to your construction plans homie, i got 5 on it

Ry's LyeHouse

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Johnny Truant posted:

I will probably just get a wash tub and wringer.

I use to just use a 5 gallon bucket or a sink and just plunger it in detergent then cook the clothes in the oven to dry them when I was in college. It actually got them cleaner than a traditional washer. They have manual laundry spinners now, so I might do that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

I use to just use a 5 gallon bucket or a sink and just plunger it in detergent then cook the clothes in the oven to dry them when I was in college. It actually got them cleaner than a traditional washer. They have manual laundry spinners now, so I might do that.

I actually own a manual laundry spinner! Was gonna rec you try one out

It saved my rear end at the beginning of the pandemic. It's broke 3 separate times and currently has a screwdriver as a handle, but it still works. The price disparity between ours, which I think was maybe a bill, versus a foot powered one, was like $200, was loving absurd

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Johnny Truant posted:

I actually own a manual laundry spinner! Was gonna rec you try one out

It saved my rear end at the beginning of the pandemic. It's broke 3 separate times and currently has a screwdriver as a handle, but it still works. The price disparity between ours, which I think was maybe a bill, versus a foot powered one, was like $200, was loving absurd

Can you put a large fluffy blanket or sleeping back in it?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Yo I completely forgot these bad boys existed!

This will make a good wash bucket and wringer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Can you put a large fluffy blanket or sleeping back in it?

Sleeping bag possibly, fluffy blanket probably not

Rytheric posted:

lmfao

Not wrong, though

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Rytheric posted:

If you get a metal one, it will last longer, and you can use it to cook soups and stews when not used for laundry, hoisted up by the handle and hung over an open flame.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

Rytheric posted:

I'm, er, a normal person

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Here is a Playlist of me sailing for those who were interested in my voyages.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcSjIBUk1DQ7gIpn20yprdfoBptQo4N3s

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I hate to advertise, but if yall played eve echoes you'd also get to hear the stories that don't make it to the forum such as how I got pink eye today, and the idea of towing a sailing canoe behind a motorcycle plus several more.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

low key sex master posted:

ok so I'm currently on page 9 right now but I wanted to mention that SA ads do work because I would never have found this thread if not for one so whoever bought this great job because it's sucked me in and i can't get out

I'm on the edge of my seat and i can't wait to see where this goes in the next 15 pages

Welcome to the cool club

Digital Prophet posted:

I have this sudden and irrational urge to save Rytheric somehow from his own decisions and lifestyle.

edit: Obviously I know this is unreasonable AND arrogant of me.

Edit edit: Plus its not like my lifestyle of never seeing the sun and slowly turning into a Morlock is super healthy or anything.

How would you save me and direct me to the better path? Lol. I think one of my problems is that I don't have anyone who can tell me no in my life. I lived with my boss for a couple years who is a majorly successful geotech engineer. When I come up with something crazy, it's not, "no don't do this," it's okay how are we going to make this work. Maybe he is just encouraging me because he likes watching trainwrecks happen. I dont know lol.. Anyway the, The main thing I learned from him is how to fund all my projects and be financially stable.

The only thing that concerns me is that the more off the beaten path I go uncheckdd, I feel the less dateable I'll become lol. I usually become more tame when I have a partner, but until then I have my fun lol.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think you'd benefit from a bit of scope. You know what you want, but the problem is it changes every other post lol. I think if you focus on GroverTruk and follow through with it, you might find your goals for Murderhaus and TimberShitter more clear by understanding what itches GroverTruk does not scratch.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

personal disaster and diy misfortune is the only collective itch for popular threads.

the only way the op can fail is to weigh common sense and personal safety and succeed in building the stuff he's building

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

um excuse me posted:

I think you'd benefit from a bit of scope. You know what you want, but the problem is it changes every other post lol. I think if you focus on GroverTruk and follow through with it, you might find your goals for Murderhaus and TimberShitter more clear by understanding what itches GroverTruk does not scratch.

My uncle bought some property and poured a foundation for a house. Then he bought a boxcar and added plumbing and electricity and french doors, just something for him and his wife to live in temporarily while they build the house.

20 years later and he never built the house, just added a second boxcar instead.

OP have you ever considered living in a boxcar? My uncle loves it. I think it cost $10,000 altogether to buy it and have it brought out to his property and placed level (this was 20 years though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tip posted:

My uncle bought some property and poured a foundation for a house. Then he bought a boxcar and added plumbing and electricity and french doors, just something for him and his wife to live in temporarily while they build the house.

20 years later and he never built the house, just added a second boxcar instead.

OP have you ever considered living in a boxcar? My uncle loves it. I think it cost $10,000 altogether to buy it and have it brought out to his property and placed level (this was 20 years though).

Buy your uncle an account.