Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not often that you see someone pull off an actually funny prank on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
purple francis real

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

"Vandalized." lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"for seemingly no reason" Buncha Purple Francis haters out there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the simpsons fandom is doing something similar and it's honestly unnerving

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah how can anyone still find The Simpsons funny

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

countdown to purple francis mod

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

IT BURNS posted:

I beefed up my home base, went out exploring and encountered two of those multi-arm mutants. They hosed me up, I got sent to a cave, but at least I have a map and a compass now! I'll go back and revisit some of the other empty cannibal villages and see if I can find any of the "well" cave entrances.

I built a base on a platform on Goose Lake, up against the cliff and the cannibals never ever came near it. It's a really good safe spot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I can't believe people would besmirch my favourite character, Purple Francis.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My friend bought Phasmophobia yesterday, so I jumped on to see how it is. It turns out it's exactly as it was before, which is disappointing. It only feels like half a game still, but built like it has a lot more to it - why does it have a levelling system? I know it was just one guy but still.

But still it's a good base line for a future Ghostbusters game, hopefully.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a pretty common Twitter joke, where a well known and beloved character like Purple Francis is treated as something bizarre and unusual.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Purple Francis is a worthless piece of poo poo. I lent him $900 years ago, but he stole my Gamecube and skipped town. gently caress him.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I enjoyed Little Nightmares, although I'm not particularly big on zero-context artsy platformers. The only other one I've played of that type is Limbo, which I thought was cool, but didn't actually particularly enjoy playing. I probably won't bother with the LN DLC. I'll wait for LN2 until it's on deep sale. This does remind me that I've had Inside in my Steam library forever and haven't played it yet.

It might be a git gud type situation, but I sometimes get annoyed with trial and error type gameplay, of which LN seemed to have a fair amount. I guess without it the game only would've taken twenty minutes to play. On the other hand, when you do get a set piece/chase right on the first try, that's a pretty good feeling.

Neat game, thanks for the recommend, thread.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just finished LN2 and while it's a bit short for the price it's a pretty solid experience that I enjoyed a lot. I'm probably going to go back and replay LN1 and it's DLC now since I've largely forgotten everything that happens in it. The controls are kind of bullshit though and there were dozens of times that I died because I got caught on some invisible corner or my character just randomly failed to grab an edge for no reason. Not a huge deal since the game is 80% walking simulator but it was still frustrating.

One thing I'm noticing is that every video on YouTube that tries to analyze LN2 is pretty bad. They seem WAY too focused on lore and basic plot mechanics and completely ignore the themes and ideas the game is trying to discuss. I mean, LN2 a game about two children running through a decaying society full of adults being warped into monsters by a television signal that consumes their humanity before devouring them entirely, leaving only shadowy remnants behind. The signal comes from a sky scraper made of eyes that ultimately turns the protagonist into the very thing he's been running from for the entire game. Gee, could the author perhaps be trying to say something!? But yeah, let's obsess for 20 mins over how X character can be in 2 places at the same time in a world that runs on dream (nightmare?) logic. That's much more interesting. :rolleyes:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Gee, could the author perhaps be trying to say something!? But yeah, let's obsess for 20 mins over how X character can be in 2 places at the same time in a world that runs on dream (nightmare?) logic. That's much more interesting. :rolleyes:

Why focus on actual plot elements when you can focus on the fact that Game Theory has six billion subscribers

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If Bloober team sleepwalks its way into a silent hill game I will laugh so hard

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why focus on actual plot elements when you can focus on the fact that Game Theory has six billion subscribers

this + quantity is money

the more you can find to nitpick about and the longer you can nitpick the better it looks on the algorithm

dropping hot takes drives engagement, numbers go up

edit: to be clear I don't blame the youtubers living and dying by the numbers, youtube's system creates and reinforces that environment

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 18, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That is literally what happened with Hello Neighbor in real time. Streamer engagement and pathetic Game Theory-style "Deep Lore" mutated what was a pretty basic hide from the scary man early access game into some twisted unrecognizable monstrosity of overlapping design elements.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

If Bloober team sleepwalks its way into a silent hill game I will laugh so hard

For those who haven't seen:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1362438384413798402

No confirmation that it's Silent Hill that I'm aware of, but I'm not sure what else they'd be talking about.

Silent Hill is dead and should remain dead, but I will be morbidly curious if Bloober Team of all studios gets to put out the next stinker. Not curious enough to buy it, mind you, but curious how much lower the series can sink.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah my only curiosity about a Bloober SH would be the morbid kind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Eh, better than nothing I guess. Might as well have someone try something with it than have it just rot away.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/02/rumor-silent-hill-game-by-prominent-japanese-developer-to-be-announced-this-summer

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Give nintendo the silent hill license

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

exquisite tea posted:

That is literally what happened with Hello Neighbor in real time. Streamer engagement and pathetic Game Theory-style "Deep Lore" mutated what was a pretty basic hide from the scary man early access game into some twisted unrecognizable monstrosity of overlapping design elements.

Let me see if I can dredge up the "Neighbor house at the start v Neighbor house 'now" stuff I posted a while back lmao

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

This is why I still appreciate Petscop, it didn't explain a lot and it isn't loving interested in explaining itself, and the youtubers can wrench themselves into knots with theories forever

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Let me see if I can dredge up the "Neighbor house at the start v Neighbor house 'now" stuff I posted a while back lmao

Here we go!

Yardbomb posted:

Wayyyyy back at the start when the house wasn't seven stories tall he was the only threat, but he was a good one and neat to try and get around, because the ways you came into the house would start getting more trapped, barricaded and he'd be more likely to hang around there, so you could try and misdirect them after a while too.

Yardbomb posted:

This was the house originally.

This is the house now.

The AI has suffered a ridiculous amount, there's no real character to the game anymore, the devs have gone whole hog on trying to inject some vague story that's poorly done for clickbaity youtubers, so on and so on.

This also sums it up well.

"The game has gotten worse, every single installment."

"This is not the stealth-horror, learning AI game we were promised in the beginning."

Yardbomb posted:

They've added in and taken out and added in a bunch of ending-not-endings in all the alpha builds, made super convoluted and uninteresting "secret ending" type setups to the stuff, all that kind of thing which pretty much just started to feel like pandering to the people who want to make "NEW HELLO NEIGHBOR BUILD 5931 ENDING? (SAD) ((SECRET HISTORY BEHIND THE NEIGHBOR?!))" type videos. Which you did indeed see a whole assload of every time there was a new build, there's probably a bunch for the beta now too. Basically it felt like they wanted the game theory crowd to catch on like they did for Five Nights at Freddys.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
man now I'm trying to remember which developers blamed their poor game sales on the game being too streamable

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Discendo Vox posted:

Give nintendo the silent hill license

Luigi's Hospital

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone should just steal every idea from Silent Hill, change it enough so they can't be sued for it and call it Quiet Knoll or something. It's not like you need the exact story of the games since they're all different. Were there any SH clones? It seems like everything wanted to be RE but not exactly SH, though I guess you can argue SH is just a riff on the RE formula anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Black August posted:

This is why I still appreciate Petscop, it didn't explain a lot and it isn't loving interested in explaining itself, and the youtubers can wrench themselves into knots with theories forever

Tbh much like the early FNAF stuff, I didn't really mind the early Petscop videos from everyone. But now things for both franchaises have gone batshit crazy because why would you stop making content so long as people keep buying it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

man now I'm trying to remember which developers blamed their poor game sales on the game being too streamable

That was the guy who made Welcome To The Game 1/2 and Scrutinized.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The thing that stuck around the longest from Silent Hill is the concept so the DNA is in almost every horror video game except the actual game part.

Which is fine, Silent Hill has always been largely average to play, but you need real artistry to piece it all together as a unifying whole and without that you get sexy nurses as a default monster.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Yardbomb posted:

That was the guy who made Welcome To The Game 1/2 and Scrutinized.

YEAH

so remember to make your horror games youtube digestible but not TOO youtube digestible,

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think any game specifically took any gameplay elements from Silent Hill because there's not a lot of gameplay to take and the specific visual style of rust and metal and just randomly placed flesh was never really replicated either, or at least not half as ripped off as the SH2 twist.

Lost in Vivo might be the closest thing?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I know at least a couple of games had to have done the "radio signals monster presence" gimmick in some form or fashion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everybody rips off the "you were the bad guy all along + it was all in your head" twists from SH2 but not enough people rip off the much cooler and more innovative "how you play the game determines the ending you get rather than just choosing from a list of options in the last 10 minutes."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Learning that SH2 had multiple endings determined by the stuff you did (I think this was true to a lesser extent in SH1 as well?) was really interesting to me because I think I only found that out a number of years later, and at that point multiple endings were already a pretty standard thing, but the difference was most games hinged the ending on very clear choices or dialog selections over the course of the game. I can't think of many games other than Silent Hill games where just the general way you played determined the ending. Though I guess there could be a bunch of other games that do that too, and I wouldn't know without looking into it specifically.

Changing the ending or other game aspects based on obvious dialog choices is so easy and predictable, I want more games that shift things subtly because I went out of my way to kill a few more enemies or I was stingy with medpacks or whatever it is that determines the ending in SH2.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

exquisite tea posted:

Everybody rips off the "you were the bad guy all along + it was all in your head" twists from SH2 but not enough people rip off the much cooler and more innovative "how you play the game determines the ending you get rather than just choosing from a list of options in the last 10 minutes."

this one really bewilders me because it's also bad from the business angle

I could shove all the big ending flags at the end of the game, allowing players to play it all once and savescum the multiple endings

or I could make it more subtle, sprinkle the flags throughout the game, and effectively multiply the length of the game by convincing players to play it multiple times in different ways

it's free replayability, it's so easy and it's right there being missed in plain sight

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Learning that SH2 had multiple endings determined by the stuff you did (I think this was true to a lesser extent in SH1 as well?) was really interesting to me because I think I only found that out a number of years later, and at that point multiple endings were already a pretty standard thing, but the difference was most games hinged the ending on very clear choices or dialog selections over the course of the game. I can't think of many games other than Silent Hill games where just the general way you played determined the ending. Though I guess there could be a bunch of other games that do that too, and I wouldn't know without looking into it specifically.

Changing the ending or other game aspects based on obvious dialog choices is so easy and predictable, I want more games that shift things subtly because I went out of my way to kill a few more enemies or I was stingy with medpacks or whatever it is that determines the ending in SH2.

Lone Survivor does this although it and Lost in Vivo are very overt Silent Hill in inspiration.

It’s rare because for a variety of reasons but unless you’re an indie studio there are no surprises in video games and you can expect a minority of people to even complete your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

sigher posted:

Someone should just steal every idea from Silent Hill, change it enough so they can't be sued for it and call it Quiet Knoll or something. It's not like you need the exact story of the games since they're all different. Were there any SH clones? It seems like everything wanted to be RE but not exactly SH, though I guess you can argue SH is just a riff on the RE formula anyway.

Visage is overtly a Silent Hills homage